2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Titleist golf ball study; Finally, some facts added to the debate

Roadking2003

There is a direct correlation to distance off the tee and success. Per 2017 PGA Tour stats, nearly every top player averages 295, including Spieth, and most top ten average over 300.

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Stenson 292 (think he uses 3w alot]

Rory 317

The debate isn't about who drives it 300 yards. It's about the correlation between distance and success. Let's look at the stats for the top 30 on the money list.

Notice that only three on the top 30 money list are top 10 drivers. And the #2 money player is 75th in driving. And 15 of the top 30 money guys rank 50th or worse in driving.

Now show me that correlation again.

Won't work to use it that way. Take Spieth. He's so far down in the driving list because he misses fairways. Not from distance. Just proves that being longer in the rough is better than short in the fairway.

My stats are driving DISTANCE. Spieth is 75th in DISTANCE.

My apologies. I failed to see where it said distance anywhere. ( still don't see it ). Admittedly I have a mental block at times that for whatever reason doesn't let me see the obvious script. Have this trouble at restaurants with the menu etc.

From time to time, I'm told I have this problem with speed limit signs.

There is a direct correlation to distance off the tee and success. Per 2017 PGA Tour stats, nearly every top player averages 295, including Spieth, and most top ten average over 300.

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

The debate isn't about who drives it 300 yards. It's about the correlation between distance and success. Let's look at the stats for the top 30 on the money list.

Notice that only three on the top 30 money list are top 10 drivers. And the #2 money player is 75th in driving. And 15 of the top 30 money guys rank 50th or worse in driving.

Look at the web.com tour

30 guys *average* 310 or more

87 guys average 300 or more

Distance off the tee correlates directly with success in golf.

Proof...

2 best golfers of all time

Jack

Tiger

Now those are relevant facts!

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Look at the web.com tour

Proof...

Jack

Tiger

So, why do those web.com long hitter play on the web.com tour?

Is the web.com tour the tour where the best golfers of all time play?

That two of the greatest golfers of all time were also long, and not only accurate, shows, how much skill is needed to be long AND accurate...

...this combination is obviously very rare, and should be rewarded.

Short and accurate is something you can watch all day when senior golfers play.

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Look at the web.com tour

Proof...

Jack

Tiger

That two of the greatest golfers of all time were also long, and not only accurate, shows, how much skill is needed to be long AND accurate...

is there a point in that statement ?

of course being long and accurate is a great asset.... but short and accurate isnt going to win much.... showing spieth as 75th distance is a bit misleading... he averages right at 300.... so one can assume top 80 in the world average around 300... which is long in anyones book... he just happens to have the wedge game of a god to add with being long.... DJ, Keopka, Finau, etc arent long... they are Freaks of nature long... and should be excluded from any argument about length... they will be long no matter what ball is played... ask yourself this question.... take their length away.. make them 275 average hitters... do they stay on top of the money lists etc ? NOpe.. DJ has improved his wedge game.. but by improved i mean hes gone from embarassing to serviceable... if he isnt long and misses more greens because of longer approaches he doesnt have the skills to get up and down enough to stay relevant... Spieth is the obvious exception to this idea... you could shorten him up and hed still make a living... BUT you could give him 30 yards and hed stay #1 in the world for a long long time... distance matters a ton

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Look at the web.com tour

Proof...

Jack

Tiger

The point is the reason that so many young players *on* tour are big hitters.

Why?

Its a prerequisite.

Then, as you say, all aspects of the game funnel the best to the top.

The titleist study focuses on the pursuit of distance. To me it confirms how important distance is.

But, I think, they argue its not just the ball but a combo of factors.

They are going to hurt a lot of people if they roll the ball back. There is no way there is going to be a separate ball for Pros and Ams, everyone will go back to the tour ball. The longest drivers were still smashing the ball 20 years ago, technology has allowed the pack to keep up, I don't really see this as a bad thing.

This is a complete non issue for 99% of the golfing world. At the courses I play, on any given day you could probably count the players that can hit a ball over 300 on your fingers. The majority of these golfers don't hit their drivers 220. Lots of women and seniors are laying up on par 3s with their driver. I could really care less that the classic courses that I'll never set foot on can't host their majors. I do not give half a damn that Augusta has had to do some renovating to stay relevant. I care about playing golf a lot more than watching golf.

At this point, I'd normally write something sarcastic and disparaging, but I don't want to undermine my own argument. Seriously, you're going to hurt millions of golfers catering to a couple hundred tour players.

I have stated this before-- The Ball companies will loose money on the new "limited" ball for the general masses. I dare say 90% of the people playing the game now play for fun and do not play stipulated rounds even at league level. Seniors (I am one BTW) are not going to buy a new high priced ball that goes less distance. there are too many balls out here of all brands that are conforming to today's standards. I am retired from stipulated comp and play mostly for fun and could care less what the USGA R&A or the PGA want to do. All 3 of them can pound sand as far as I am concerned

I agree with most of you post but do you condone someone playing non-conforming drivers and balls in money games or club tournaments with you?

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Wow, that is impressive,

Kevin Kisner 120th in driving, and in the top 10 money list!

Matt Kuchar 148th! in driving, and on place 14 in the money list!

-

Only the #2, #7, #8, #13, #16, #19, #20, #23, #26, and #30 in driving distance are in the top 30 of the money list!

This shows, that there is in general a pretty weak correlation between driving distance and success...

...another evidence, that the idea, that the ball goes to far, is just made up to cover completely different faults.

So juiced balls and aluminum bats would be good for MLB?

This year they had their best ratings and many players felt they used a juiced ball, so yes. MLB has been accused throughout the years to use a juiced ball when scoring was down as a means to neutralize great pitching.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Warms my little heart to see Kuch so high on the money list. Seems like a good guy

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

No, it wouldn’t. But in golf there’s no third baseman 90 feet away worrying about Stanton hitting a 120 mph ball at him with an aluminum bat.

That’s not a good sport to sport comparison.

All that matters is who shoots the lowest score. If the lowest score is -21 or -4, who cares? They beat everyone else in the field on the same course on the same 4 days.

Grow out the fairways say I.

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Wow, that is impressive,

-

Only the #2, #7, #8, #13, #16, #19, #20, #23, #26, and #30 in driving distance are in the top 30 of the money list!

This shows, that there is in general a pretty weak correlation between driving distance and success...

...another evidence, that the idea, that the ball goes to far, is just made up to cover completely different faults.

If its not obvious enough how clearly length not only correlates with success but is a prerequisite

Lets look at the bottom 20 in distance and you see that

None of them are in the top 20owgr. Maybe not even the top 30 or 40 owgr.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.2017.html

The entire top 30 averages 300 yards.

What seperates #20 in distance from #10?

4yds.

Btw, Im dont support rolling the ball back.

This year they had their best ratings and many players felt they used a juiced ball, so yes. MLB has been accused throughout the years to use a juiced ball when scoring was down as a means to neutralize great pitching.

More than just the ball was juiced during some big years!

The average player on tour is a higher and higher clubhead speed as time goes by , because the course design and tour rota doesn’t allow 100mph good players to compete .

There were guys with 100mph driver swings on tour in the 80s and 90s but the lengthening courses phased them out

Stop making it a requirement to hit it so far

There are humans capable of 400 carry , and that’s the way it will end up if the courses keep getting longer

Some would argue golf is a sport. And in sports, it is pretty normal for those with physical gifts and ability to have an advantage over those who do not. Trying to find a way to take away the advantage is silly.

Right now there already is a rule in place limiting the ball. For most golfers the courses are plenty long and challenging. For the elite few it's easier due to thier length - and thats how it should be.

Those who understand the technology, know that the plateau has already been reached with optimized launch/spin, superior aerodynamics. The mfgrs are right at the limits now. The 400 yard guys that also have touch - if/when these unicorns come along, they would have an advantage regardless of how we choose to ruin the golf ball.

Don't think that's true. We haven't had a golf ball yet come out that's at the limit. At some point one will be released that is advertised as " pushing the limit " . Hasn't happened yet. But it will.

You do realize there are illegal balls on the market that exceed the limit, right? So yes, the technology to simply reach the limit is already here. Now they design as close as possible without exceeding it. (Obviously with some variations in spin, launch, lift/drag between models suited for a variety of player swings).

Does 317 yards at 120 MPH (current testing) really seem like a limit we have not reached yet?

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Wow, that is impressive,

-

The entire top 30 averages 300 yards.

What seperates #20 from #10?

4yds.

If its not obvious enough how clearly length not only correlates with success but is a prerequisite

Lets look at the bottom 20 in distance and you see that

None of them are in the top 20owgr. Maybe not even the top 30 or 40 owgr.

https://www.pgatour....t.101.2017.html

Btw, Im dont support rolling the ball back.

Roughly said:

1/3 of the top 30 money list are also in the top 30 in driving distance (which includes the exaggerated roll on fast and firm fairways btw.)...

...however 2/3 are not included!

Thus one could conclude, that distance makes around 1/3 of the game, and 2/3 is the short game!

"You drive for show but putt for dough"

...still applies.

-

That someone, who is not able to reach every par 4 in two, has a hard time to compete, should be no surprise...

It is quite uncommon in sports, to focus on the worst players - especially on TV.

P.S.:

Funny coincidence:

"Mr. 58" Jim Furyk is on the last place #190 of the driving distance list in your link! :taunt:

Question. How would the side that's against he ball being rolled back distance wise feel if it were rolled back to a ball that simply spins more. One that's harder to hit straight ? But Retains the possibility of going the same distance as now on a perfect strike ? Coupled with a cc rollback of 100cc for driver. Would that be a fair compromise to the proposed ball rollback ?

What problem are you solving for?

I’d rather have them roll back the driver size/COR and wedge groove rules.

And I get that. You'd rather hit a straight ball yes?

I'm saying that the true issue isn't total distance . It's the ease at which it's achieved.

And on top of that approach shots. We see less and less flighted , worked in shots to a tight pin. It's all high straight at it. It's a pipe dream I know as it won't happen. But if every tour player had to play a less forgiving iron ( one without perimeter weighting ) and a ball that spun more viewing in my opinion would be x100 more fun to watch. Cream would rise as usual. And we would see a lot more interesting pro tracer shots. Anyone think that isn't true ? If so I'd love to hear how straight is more fun to watch. Truth is it wont happen because of $. Can't sell less forgiveness to the masses. So the game is sold off bit by bit.

I get it. But it reminds me of an aging high school basketball coach who has become a fan of Women’s NCAA basketball because “they still play the game the right way”.

Some people would undoubtedly enjoy watching a high-spin shotmaking shootout. If the PGA Tour thought that this was the majority of people, they’d be mandating a spinny ball. The market wants bombers, bombers are what they’ll get.

The reality is that we’re just going to plateau at a new normal. The top quartile guys will all hit their drives the same distance, and tournaments will be decided by short irons and putting - just like they always have been.

8 of top 10 owgr (4 of top 5] average 300 yds

The entire bottom 30 in driving distance is outside the top 40 in the owgr.

And driving distance does not correlate with success?

It has a weaker correlation with success, than the short game.

Ask Mr. 58 Jim Furyk!

That's your argument? The 164th ranked player?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Question. How would the side that's against he ball being rolled back distance wise feel if it were rolled back to a ball that simply spins more. One that's harder to hit straight ? But Retains the possibility of going the same distance as now on a perfect strike ? Coupled with a cc rollback of 100cc for driver. Would that be a fair compromise to the proposed ball rollback ?

What problem are you solving for?

I’d rather have them roll back the driver size/COR and wedge groove rules.

And I get that. You'd rather hit a straight ball yes?

I'm saying that the true issue isn't total distance . It's the ease at which it's achieved.

And on top of that approach shots. We see less and less flighted , worked in shots to a tight pin. It's all high straight at it. It's a pipe dream I know as it won't happen. But if every tour player had to play a less forgiving iron ( one without perimeter weighting ) and a ball that spun more viewing in my opinion would be x100 more fun to watch. Cream would rise as usual. And we would see a lot more interesting pro tracer shots. Anyone think that isn't true ? If so I'd love to hear how straight is more fun to watch. Truth is it wont happen because of $. Can't sell less forgiveness to the masses. So the game is sold off bit by bit.

I get it. But it reminds me of an aging high school basketball coach who has become a fan of Women’s NCAA basketball because “they still play the game the right way”.

Some people would undoubtedly enjoy watching a high-spin shotmaking shootout. If the PGA Tour thought that this was the majority of people, they’d be mandating a spinny ball. The market wants bombers, bombers are what they’ll get.

The reality is that we’re just going to plateau at a new normal. The top quartile guys will all hit their drives the same distance, and tournaments will be decided by short irons and putting - just like they always have been.

This week at the Joberg open there was a 16 year old English junior in the field. He hits his 7 iron 225, carry. Some may say he is an exception but it's just what's coming. The PGA Tour average and highest ball speeds are increasing and the average angle of atack is moving towards a positive figure. We are a long way from plateauing.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

We’re hurtling towards a reality where 500 yard drives are possible, and virtually all holes will come down to a drive to somewhere near the green complex, and then a wedge or recovery shot onto the green and two putts. A very different game from the one Nicklaus knows. Long irons will exist for holes where you merely have to hit it 300 to the green. Mid irons will go away.

The mashie is gone too, and I don’t think anybody (save a few historical re-enactors ) miss it. The game evolves.

8 of top 10 owgr (4 of top 5] average 300 yds

The entire bottom 30 in driving distance is outside the top 40 in the owgr.

And driving distance does not correlate with success?

It has a weaker correlation with success, than the short game.

Ask Mr. 58 Jim Furyk!

That's your argument? The 164th ranked player?

That was just an example, that one of the shortest hitters on tour was able to produce the lowest score on tour.

(however not in every tournament of course)

If there were a strong correlation between driving distance and success,

Jim Furyk would not have been able to shoot the lowest score ever on Tour - isn´t it?

Bernhard Langer is also more known for his success, than for the longest drives.

It is NOT a study.

It is a Papal Bull from golf ball world's Vatican.

Nothing in there that is new or hasn't been discussed ad nauseam on here or anywhere else before. Just good and (although sounding a little shrill at this point) proactive marketing.

And again, I like my ProV1s and Chrome Softs very much, thank you and golf balls for the average golfer aren't going to get dialed back, and likely not for the pros either (and if they did for pros, who cares).

I don't recall anybody discussing how fairway grass has contributed to the longer drives.

We’re hurtling towards a reality where 500 yard drives are possible, and virtually all holes will come down to a drive to somewhere near the green complex, and then a wedge or recovery shot onto the green and two putts. A very different game from the one Nicklaus knows. Long irons will exist for holes where you merely have to hit it 300 to the green. Mid irons will go away.

The mashie is gone too, and I don’t think anybody (save a few historical re-enactors ) miss it. The game evolves.

No we aren't. People really need to stop basing arguments on outliers. That includes you USGA.

Wow, that is impressive,

-

And that's exactly what the Titleist report said.

We're hurtling towards a reality where 500 yard drives are possible, and virtually all holes will come down to a drive to somewhere near the green complex, and then a wedge or recovery shot onto the green and two putts. A very different game from the one Nicklaus knows. Long irons will exist for holes where you merely have to hit it 300 to the green. Mid irons will go away.

The mashie is gone too, and I don't think anybody (save a few historical re-enactors ) miss it. The game evolves.

We already have drives over 400 yards...

...however not because of the big carry distances, but because of a hard bounce on a firm fairway, or cart path, with additional roll down the slope...

...which all adds up to (total) driving distance in the stats.

A softer fairway with higher grass would prevent that.

-

Jamie Sadlowski had not that much success on tour, despite he could hit it over 400 yards - sometimes...

-

Your 500 yard reality became already true with a hickory shafted club at a time, where professionals drove it not much over 200 yards...

...when Titanic Thompson won a bet by waiting until winter, and driving a ball onto a frozen lake.

At that time there was probably no USGA, who could jump on this incident as a reason to restrict the ball...

https://en.wikipedia...itanic_Thompson

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Here you go.

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Here you go.

Have you also a graphics that shows "Putts per Hole vs $/Event"?

Jordan Spieth and Jason Day come to mind...

The top 10 owgr,

DJ 315

JS 295

JT 309

Rahm 305

HM 303

Rose 301

Rickie 300

Brooks 311

Rory 317

Here you go.

Rofl!

Perfect ; )