Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Kevinx

You think the life of a big hitter is glamorous? Let me tell you something, it’s not. You short knockers should be thankful that you aren’t burdened with the power of us long drive machines.

You know that 210 yard baby fade you hit? The one that starts out on the center line and still lands in the fairway? Yeah, when we have a ball flight like that, it lands in a different zip code.

None of us asked to be these gorillas that constantly pump out 170mph ball speeds that rip holes in the atmosphere. We are just trying to make the best of the hand we were dealt.

I assume tongue firmly planted in cheek...LOL.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone can hit a 300 yard drive. If someone told me they hit one 300 yards, I'm not going to automatically discount it. There is a huge difference between hitting a 300+ yard drive and averaging 300 yards per drive. The latter is tough to do considering the tour average probably sits around 285 yards of total distance. I've hit 300 yard drives with ideal conditions such as having the wind on my back. I've gotten huge kicks off mounds or solid fairways. I even hit one close to 400 having it bounce on the cart path a number of times, with a roll before coming to rest. That doesn't mean I'm going to tell people I drive it 400 yards. Thats just silly. Currently, on average, my driver distance sits at around 270. I can probably squeeze out 285 if I really let it rip and don't care if I'm a fairway, or two over.

I hit it a fairly long way but in a club of 200ish players im the only one that would get it out over 300y or for me 270m. Last fitting I had 185mph ball speed on a regular basis with the epic. My problem is it can be 2 fairways away!

There is going to be a greater number of people who post in a golf forum that hit the ball a long way than you feel you see on the course because this site has so many members and people who are enthusiastic enough about golf to post on golf forums arent going to be your everyday golfer.

A lot of this debate always goes back to the frame of reference of people who post. They don't play with the handfull of bombers at their club or in their area so they think those people simply don't exist.

It's not that we lowly weekend warriors or low teens guys don't believe the amateur bombers exist, we (may I speak for my caste?) typically just believe the 250-280 hitter suffers from our same hubris, exaggerating distance by 10-15pct.

Do I believe 1pct of golfers hit 300? Yes. Do I believe 50pct of 250 hitters believe they hit it 300? Also yes.

By your very quote that 1% do that means that a club of 300 there are 3 that do. See how that works.

Yes. That IS math. Do you somehow believe that simple division explains the exaggerations of the other 49pct?

It is unfortunate because in many threads, people are looking for experience and advise but instead get a post full of incorrect claims and ego. Some do in fact average 290-310. Some don't.

I can't tell you how many times I get paired up with frat boys, not that there is anything wrong with frat boys..., that start running the mouth about how far they are gonna drive it off the first tee. They hit their shot and claim "Thats over 300, boys!" I hit my drive and it's 50 yards past them. Then I hear, "Dude, you must have hit that like 350 yards bro!" Nah, more like 290, man.

I think a lot of it is just that most golfers never have the chance to really play with truly better players than themselves. I have been paired up with guys on the mini tours and some of these guys hit shots that are freakin amazing compared to me. I had one asian guy I played with that was on some mini tour. I layed up into a par 5 with a 5 iron and this dude goes for the green with a 3 wood and just smashes this 3 wood sky high into the pin to about 20 feet. He beat me by 6 strokes that day and it was obvious that he practiced like a mad man compared to my twice a week practice. His ball striking was impeccable.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

Unless I’m reading different threads than you, I have never noticed “that most of the posters claim that they hit it 300 plus off of the tee.” KYMs & Jag bring up great points regarding both the membership demographics and their posting styles.

Specifically, can you please go back, peruse said threads and then drop back in with some actual names and the WRX Bullshat Driver Detector Board(BDDB), of which KYMs, Medic and I are members, and we would be glad to either verify their length as accurate or expose them for being the scum bag lying slimy dirtbags that they are?

207yd 7i’s are one thing, and are a dime a dozen, and on this board, a nickel a dozen however if guys are claiming three bills plus on a rope, then you as a long standing seldom posting member have every right to call em out and that’s why Richard appointed us three thruth seekers to the BDDB board. The guys that I’ve read who have spoken to hitting this length I happen to believe em, though at the end of the day, WTF do I know???

Thank you for bringing this to our attention because without guys like you out there pounding the threads for bullshatters, this board would not be the great forum that it is!!!

Because of your sincere interest in making this a better forum for all, I would like to extend to you an invitation to join ClubWRX and really contribute to the betterment of the board, and also put some of your hard earned cash where your fingers are?

With my deepest appreciation~

My Best,

RP

RIchard P. Jacobs II

Executive Secretary, Emeritus

WRX Bullshat Driver Detector Board

Later Edit: As I am always chirping about fictitious user names, fake avatars and anonymously dropping “one stars,” I have to say that I just gave my first “one star” in all my time in the board. I know that I stated that I do not believe in “one stars” however your OP changed my mind. While you did in fact get two “one stars,” one is from Moi. Please don’t Think that this will in any way shape or form influence my decision as a BDDB member, because I can compartmemtalize and render an unbiased appropriate decision ? Thanks, RP II

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Damn, who fired up Richard!?

Friggin KYMs??

Have a nice weekend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

i usually hit my drives between 280 and 300. playing the whites (not the tips) will not usually help much with scoring for me. If i hit the fairway, huge if, i have an awesome 60 yard shot into the green that i will mess up and card a 5 or 6 on a par 4. hitting it long does not always mean good things. also its annoying to hit, then have 3 people find their balls, hit, then you get to go. i need to pull 3 wood more.

If I tell my buddy I can hit it 300 yards, he says I'm bragging. If he asks if I can hit it 300 yards and I say no, then he knows I'm lying. I can't win.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

People talk about hitting it over 300 because it's a really good talking point. We are all absorbed by power and strength in every sport ex. big tackles, HR's, 100mph fastballs. But since none of us are physically gifted enough to be able to do those other things when we can poke one out around the same distance that the pro's in the sport we feel accomplished and think we can keep up with them.

For many of us hitting it as far as we can is all that matters because it "gives us the best chance to make the lowest number we can on a hole". This is a factor of people having such poor short games and putting which is a factor of people being fascinated by distance. What many of us do not realize is that pulling driver on the 330 yard tight par 4 because if we get all of it we will have an eagle putt is not the move because it is more likely trying to kill it 330 will just end in tree's or water. But that one time we make eagle we will brag to all of our friends about that "one time" we made eagle.

For me I play courses that range from 6700-7300 pretty frequently and I play all the way back at these courses the majority of the time. I average between 270-290 Can get over 3 bills if I really need to but would rather hit it straight.

Also I've hit a drive 390 measured on flat ground normal winds. That's 100 yards or more further than I normally hit it. Stranger things have happened.

Also if this is something that really bothers you have not come to the realization that we all stink. And if we didn't stink then why are we on WRX instead of playing in tour events. It's golf go out have fun let people tell stories the way they want to. As the old saying goes golf is a game you yell 4 make a 6 write down a 5. Just accept we are all tour players in our minds.

I am in my 60s, and have been playing for 12 years. I don't hit the ball very far compared to most of you guys, so instead of trying to kill the ball, or whatever, I simply play the appropriate tee boxes for me. This allows me to hit more irons into par 4's, as opposed to always hitting fairway woods.

Unless I’m playing in a tournament with set tees and I’m forced to, I’m almost never gonna play tees that require me to hit woods into par 4s on a regular basis.

The game’s hard enough, and I don’t play enough. I want to enjoy what little time I have to play out there. Sometime in the future (maybe if I play a bucket list course), I may play the backs a few times for the experience, just to see what happens, but my tee times are too valuable to do that regularly right now.

I am in my 60s, and have been playing for 12 years. I don't hit the ball very far compared to most of you guys, so instead of trying to kill the ball, or whatever, I simply play the appropriate tee boxes for me. This allows me to hit more irons into par 4's, as opposed to always hitting fairway woods.

Unless I’m playing in a tournament with set tees and I’m forced to, I’m almost never gonna play tees that require me to hit woods into par 4s on a regular basis.

The game’s hard enough, and I don’t play enough. I want to enjoy what little time I have to play out there. Sometime in the future (maybe if I play a bucket list course), I may play the backs a few times for the experience, just to see what happens, but my tee times are too valuable to do that regularly right now.

Well said Cicero. Then again you always had a way with words. I like this quote by you: Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.

Well said Cicero. Then again you always had a way with words. I like this quote by you: Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.

Lol! If only I had the mastery of words of my namesake. I’m a bit hopeless in that regard!

It’s a weird coincidence that this is a Cicero quote, though; I find myself expressing this idea to my young son all the time. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same...

Lol! If only I had the mastery of words of my namesake. I’m a bit hopeless in that regard!

It’s a weird coincidence that this is a Cicero quote, though; I find myself expressing this idea to my young son all the time. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same...

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago when I was reading something Confucius wrote. "Dang", I said to myself, "he could have been writing about the human condition today." lol

Golfs general population is full of Phillip Seymour Hoffmans’ in Along Came Polly on the basketball court.

This is absolute GOLD! Hahaha thanks for the laugh man. Had me dying.

As for the thread, 300 carry and 300 total are so much different. There are plenty of athletic people that can generate the speed to do it. I also think a lot of golfers don’t know what a 300 yard carry looks like.

Admittedly, I hit the ball pretty far. Trackman has me between 118-119 in terms of swing speed. That puts me right around a 300 yard carry but I certainly don’t hit it like that all the time. It requires not only clubhead speed, but also great contact with the center of the face, as well as the correct swing path. Some guys I play with think I hit 340 yard drives and it’s just not the case. Occasionally I’ll poke one out there at 300 carry but I normally stick around 280-285 carry. That’s plenty for the courses around me. Scorecards at courses are incorrect at times, and corner cutting doesn’t help perception of distance.

Look, I think we can all agree there are people out there that hit it 300. It depends on the circle of people you play with or the club you belong to. Not a knock on public courses, but you’re much more likely to see 300 yard carry at private courses or in tourney play. My private club is pretty small and we have maybe 3-4 guys that can carry the ball close to 300 yards.

I hope I didn’t come off like an @ss. Just wanted to chip in my 2 cents.

Yep. At my club alone there are, at least, four guys who can CARRY it 300 plus.

One pro. One top-ten world am. And two young ams about to turn professional.

And, yes, it is an absolutely amazing thing to watch and hear.

I'm a legit, plus-index, tournament-level mid-am (albeit a short hitter), and these guys outdrive me by 60 to 100 yards.

The ball just stays in the air forever for them.

Sam’s worse nightmare and most humiliating loss, 8&7 in the 1938 PGA Championship, and the most lopsided loss in the history of the 39 years that the PGA Championship was a MP event, came to a Gent, all 5’7”, a buck twenty-twenty five, who he routinely outdrive by 60-70 yds and 102yds on one Par 5, 344yds to 242yds, only to lose the hole with a birdie to Lil Poison, Paul Runyon’s eagle.

It wasn’t a fluke, lol

Mr. Runyon won 29 Tour events and only Hogan, Sam and Lord Byron have topped his 9 victory season(Tiger tied it).

Hybrids, wedges & a Putter Bro?

I hope that you’re well and had a nice year?

Have a Merry Christmas ? and a Happy Healthy New Year?

Madison send hugs?

My Best,

Richard

If I tell my buddy I can hit it 300 yards, he says I'm bragging. If he asks if I can hit it 300 yards and I say no, then he knows I'm lying. I can't win.

If ya do it, it ain’t braggin...

It’s simply stating fact~

That my Friend is a fact?

Cheers?

RP

Hit one 307 last round, flat lie, no wind. Maybe it was 305. He was surprised actually.

His shot in was meh. Ain’t it the way...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I'm 65, 6' tall and average about 200y off the tee. That should bring the WRX average down a little.

I am similar to you, maybe a little bit further do to my recent swing changes. 200 yds in the fairway gives us white tee players a good chance at the green!

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

This is me as well. Been playing whatever tees the scorecard suggests for a 20-25. If I can get a 225 yard drive I'm thrilled. Whenever I succumb to the pressure of three other guys who want to play the big boys tees, I rarely break 100. Neither do they. lol I rarely see anybody hit beyond 250. But...I play the munis. If you do , good on ya.

i have been on this forum for a while and these topics are almost a regular as Tiger being done/back. haha. (see what I did there)

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

300yrd drives in good conditions is not unrealistic for me and I'm 48yrs old. Having said that NEVER carry distance always with a nice members bounce. Makes sense that good sticks frequent this site, problem? Sour grapes Yoda saids...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1