Advice on shaft for Driving Iron.

Rosco1216

Rosco,

I literally just put the Matrix hm3 105hybrid shaft in my Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron. Took it to the range yesterday...performance was outstanding. The shaft had a solid feel not whippy. Easy to work both ways and very long. I got mine from golfdealsandsteals.com for around $30. I think it could be a good experiment for you. I am very happy with mine.

[b]WITB:[/b][list]
[*][b]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero - [/b]HZRDUS Smoke Black
[*][b]Nike Vapor Fly 5w - [/b]Diamana S+ 70 Blueboard X
[*][b]Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2I - [/b]Matrix 105h3 Black Tie X
[*][b]Titleist 714 MB/CB 4-PW - [/b]DG AMTX100
[*][b]Nike Engage 50, 54, 58 - [/b]DGS400
[*][b]Lajosi DD201[/b]
[/list]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosco,

I literally just put the Matrix hm3 105hybrid shaft in my Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron. Took it to the range yesterday...performance was outstanding. The shaft had a solid feel not whippy. Easy to work both ways and very long. I got mine from golfdealsandsteals.com for around $30. I think it could be a good experiment for you. I am very happy with mine.

Nice. What other shafts have you tried?

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Here's my take... In a driving/utility iron, I've played Recoil 110, Steelfiber i95/i110, RIP Alpha 105, PX Blue HB6, plus in hybrids Matrix Infra, Veylix Rome 988, UST Elements Fire 100, VTS Black 100HXX (REBAR), Tour Green 105, Tour Blue 105, and some others I'm sure I've forgotten... The hardest part for me is to find a good shaft that has a good balance point. More often, a hybrid shaft has too high of a balance point or the head is too light for my taste and I end up in D0 or lighter territory. Of all the shafts I've played, the one that works best for me is the PX HB6 in a UDI. I get a decent swing weight at iron length while also keeping a good flat flight and smooth feel. AND, they are under $40 on ebay. If PX 7.0 is too weak for you, they also make a 7.5 version at 100g. After the PX, the Steelfiber i110 is it - stable, good balance point (actual sw ended up higher for me) and mid-low flight. I hated the RIP alpha. It had absolutely no feel despite the good performance. The hM3 you were looking at is the successor to the Matrix Infra and if it's anything like the other M3 line, it's going to feel really stiff to flex but give good performance. Lastly, if you can find one, and they are out there somewhere, get a Miyazaki C.Kua 105x or Fujikura 904HB. Doesn't get any better than those when it comes to smoothness and performance.

Very informative, thanks! It's definitely been a journey trying to find a graphite shaft(only tried hybrid so far) that has the balance and weight I'm comfortable with. It's been an annoying trial and error with the cobra because I have to pull out the adapter each time just to try it as I've been unable to find any extra utility adapters.

No problem. One I forgot to mention is the Irod. The new one is REALLY good. I used the tour CB hybrid back in the day and they were stiff but the new one takes the Recoil (which is super smooth) and puts it into a hybrid shaft. Highly recommend too.

Cobra actually sells the tips themselves if you want one. Just go here: http://www.cobragolf.com/cobra-hybrid-hosel-adapter

Select the hybrid you have and buy buy buy!

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

The Matrix hm3 is the only hybrid shaft I have tried so far. Originally I had a C-Taper 130x shaft in there, I was not a fan of that combo. Next I put a KBS Tour 130x steel shaft in it. I was playing the KBS Tours in my irons at the time. It was decent, but not the performance i wanted in a driving iron. The Matrix really impressed me so far.

I play an Adila RIP Phenom 100x in my hybrid, I do think that would be another good option for driving iron. Pretty stable feel.

[b]WITB:[/b][list]
[*][b]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero - [/b]HZRDUS Smoke Black
[*][b]Nike Vapor Fly 5w - [/b]Diamana S+ 70 Blueboard X
[*][b]Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2I - [/b]Matrix 105h3 Black Tie X
[*][b]Titleist 714 MB/CB 4-PW - [/b]DG AMTX100
[*][b]Nike Engage 50, 54, 58 - [/b]DGS400
[*][b]Lajosi DD201[/b]
[/list]

• 2 months later...

Found this guy in storage over the weekend. Installed it last night and going to try it out this weekend.

Piretti Savona 

You sure have a nice "storage" area, first a Speeder HB then a ReCoil?? :)

How the heck is LZ not an option presented so far? I have to think that in hard stepped 6.5 or straight up 7.0 (hard to find) would be golden in any DI.

The other question is, some point after trying 14 shafts and not being happy, Its time for a different head?

I dont have your swing speed but the only two shafts I have EVER liked in driving irons are C Taper and ADDI (havent tried LZ but in a 7 iron)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

How the heck is LZ not an option presented so far? I have to think that in hard stepped 6.5 or straight up 7.0 (hard to find) would be golden in any DI.

The other question is, some point after trying 14 shafts and not being happy, Its time for a different head?

I dont have your swing speed but the only two shafts I have EVER liked in driving irons are C Taper and ADDI (havent tried LZ but in a 7 iron)

Well it’s been in the storage unit for 2 years! We’ve been slowly cleaning it out and I got back to my old cart bag FILLED with old pulls and stuff. I also found an ad di 95x hybrid and an original flowerband whiteboard 83x! Both immaculate

The Speeder “worked” for me. Was acceptable. Just some days it “feels off”. It’s something with how a hybrid shaft balances. So over the winter I’m trying to try some graphite iron shafts in the 100-115 range and just shim them to fit if they’re .355. I could always go back to normal steel that I play with my irons, which will feel how I’m accustomed to, but defeats the purpose of what I want out of my DI.

If I went back to a normal steel I’m accustomed to playing I will have to really go after it to get the distance I want off the tee. With a touch lighter graphite I can get the distance I want without having to go after it too hard.

Piretti Savona 

Here's my take... In a driving/utility iron, I've played Recoil 110, Steelfiber i95/i110, RIP Alpha 105, PX Blue HB6, plus in hybrids Matrix Infra, Veylix Rome 988, UST Elements Fire 100, VTS Black 100HXX (REBAR), Tour Green 105, Tour Blue 105, and some others I'm sure I've forgotten... The hardest part for me is to find a good shaft that has a good balance point. More often, a hybrid shaft has too high of a balance point or the head is too light for my taste and I end up in D0 or lighter territory. Of all the shafts I've played, the one that works best for me is the PX HB6 in a UDI. I get a decent swing weight at iron length while also keeping a good flat flight and smooth feel. AND, they are under $40 on ebay. If PX 7.0 is too weak for you, they also make a 7.5 version at 100g. After the PX, the Steelfiber i110 is it - stable, good balance point (actual sw ended up higher for me) and mid-low flight. I hated the RIP alpha. It had absolutely no feel despite the good performance. The hM3 you were looking at is the successor to the Matrix Infra and if it's anything like the other M3 line, it's going to feel really stiff to flex but give good performance. Lastly, if you can find one, and they are out there somewhere, get a Miyazaki C.Kua 105x or Fujikura 904HB. Doesn't get any better than those when it comes to smoothness and performance.

Very informative, thanks! It's definitely been a journey trying to find a graphite shaft(only tried hybrid so far) that has the balance and weight I'm comfortable with. It's been an annoying trial and error with the cobra because I have to pull out the adapter each time just to try it as I've been unable to find any extra utility adapters.

golfworks says that the My Fly 8 hybrid adapter fits ...its in the questions section

https://www.golfworks.com/Product.asp?pn=CB9022

Well it's been in the storage unit for 2 years! We've been slowly cleaning it out and I got back to my old cart bag FILLED with old pulls and stuff. I also found an ad di 95x hybrid and an original flowerband whiteboard 83x! Both immaculate

The Speeder "worked" for me. Was acceptable. Just some days it "feels off". It's something with how a hybrid shaft balances. So over the winter I'm trying to try some graphite iron shafts in the 100-115 range and just shim them to fit if they're .355. I could always go back to normal steel that I play with my irons, which will feel how I'm accustomed to, but defeats the purpose of what I want out of my DI.

If I went back to a normal steel I'm accustomed to playing I will have to really go after it to get the distance I want off the tee. With a touch lighter graphite I can get the distance I want without having to go after it too hard.

Feel free to donate that crappy excess you keep finding :)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Well it's been in the storage unit for 2 years! We've been slowly cleaning it out and I got back to my old cart bag FILLED with old pulls and stuff. I also found an ad di 95x hybrid and an original flowerband whiteboard 83x! Both immaculate

The Speeder "worked" for me. Was acceptable. Just some days it "feels off". It's something with how a hybrid shaft balances. So over the winter I'm trying to try some graphite iron shafts in the 100-115 range and just shim them to fit if they're .355. I could always go back to normal steel that I play with my irons, which will feel how I'm accustomed to, but defeats the purpose of what I want out of my DI.

If I went back to a normal steel I'm accustomed to playing I will have to really go after it to get the distance I want off the tee. With a touch lighter graphite I can get the distance I want without having to go after it too hard.

Feel free to donate that crappy excess you keep finding :)

Unfortunately the rest are mostly random stock pulls! I already put the whiteboard on BST and the addi will go up too.

Piretti Savona 

• 4 months later...

This next experiment should be fun!

Piretti Savona 

Well this thing is a close to a legit telephone phone poll if I’ve ever swung one. But it’s perfect!

Piretti Savona 

• 1 month later...

Any update? How is the Matrix performing? I have an Tmag 18* UDI with the stock C Taper Lite 115g. I too am interested in finding my unicorn. Considering I don't have a storage like yours I will live vicariously and base my decisions on others' testings.

You mentioned that you were not interested in the Graphite Design TOUR AD DRIVING IRON 95g X-Stiff. Can you explain why that wasn't an option? I had been considering this, thus I am interested in hearing your opinon as to why that wasn't a consideration. Weight?

Any update? How is the Matrix performing? I have an Tmag 18* UDI with the stock C Taper Lite 115g. I too am interested in finding my unicorn. Considering I don't have a storage like yours I will live vicariously and base my decisions on others' testings.

You mentioned that you were not interested in the Graphite Design TOUR AD DRIVING IRON 95g X-Stiff. Can you explain why that wasn't an option? I had been considering this, thus I am interested in hearing your opinon as to why that wasn't a consideration. Weight?

Just weight and softness I wouldn’t consider. Wanted something 105-115g and extremely stiff. The black tie has been great for me thus far. My cobra utility launches a little high for my liking so I have picked up a fourteen type 7 to try.

Piretti Savona 

• 4 weeks later...

This next experiment should be fun!

How much did you tip this shaft?

Considering it is a XX I decided to try straight in. It is sufficient however if it were to do it again I would start off with a 1/2” and leave extra length is needed for a little more. Straight can handle what I throw at it but I would want mine a little tighter.

Piretti Savona 

I play Srixon 745s with DG x100s. Someone gave me a 22 degree u45 head (4 iron). I already have it in 18 degree with steelfiber 110x. Love love this club. Best in bag. Unicorn worthy.

I have a steelfiber 110 S, 4 iron shaft. Feels decently stiff to put in. You think this will be to loose? Kinda like the idea could lay off on a 4iron and still get some distance and even more control.

I have 115 -117 mph with driver. Play XS in everything. So I go back and forth if should find XS in steelfiber or tip it. Or just try it as is and see.

I play Srixon 745s with DG x100s. Someone gave me a 22 degree u45 head (4 iron). I already have it in 18 degree with steelfiber 110x. Love love this club. Best in bag. Unicorn worthy.

I have a steelfiber 110 S, 4 iron shaft. Feels decently stiff to put in. You think this will be to loose? Kinda like the idea could lay off on a 4iron and still get some distance and even more control.

I have 115 -117 mph with driver. Play XS in everything. So I go back and forth if should find XS in steelfiber or tip it. Or just try it as is and see.

Tough to say, brotha. I don’t have any experience with steelfibers. Is it the parallel tip? If so you could tip it more and extend it i guess. Not much risk if it doesn’t work out for ya.

Piretti Savona 

I would tip it. I have same swing speeds and installed a Ust prototype utility 110f5 untipped and its too weak. I'm about to pull it, tip it and reinstall.

The recoil proto? Yeah I tried a 110f5 non proto I had lying around and tipped it 1.5” and it still felt pretty loose. I hear the proto is a bit tighter though.

Piretti Savona 

I would tip it. I have same swing speeds and installed a Ust prototype utility 110f5 untipped and its too weak. I'm about to pull it, tip it and reinstall.

The recoil proto? Yeah I tried a 110f5 non proto I had lying around and tipped it 1.5" and it still felt pretty loose. I hear the proto is a bit tighter though.

Yea the Recoil. It was bad in its original form. I hope it hit the range tomorrow night and see if tipping it will help. If not, I'm on to the next option.

• 3 weeks later...