2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

No Catchy Nickname's bag of new and old

With some new irons and a new driver, I thought it was time to post a WiTB.

A bit about me. My driver SS is about 107-108mph, and I'm a digger who's trying to recover.

I'm a bit of a 'ho for older irons, and I'll try to get round to posting some of my irons from the 80s and 90s. The Ping driver has a stock Tour 65S. At the fitting, I knew pretty quickly it was the right shaft for me, though I tried others. The R9 has a stock Motore X flex. It's really light (62g), but relatively stable. I picked it up second hand, but it's the club that's been in my bag the longest.

The new setup:

This is with the R9 4w

This is with the V-steel 4w, which got reshafted this year with the shaft shown below. Maybe too heavy for me.

V-steel 4w shaft:

The V-steel 7w shaft is a winner. I love this club:

I like the MD2 wedges a lot. I should probably get a picture of my little collection up (I've actually reduced it recently).

Sometimes I bag a Honma utility 3i, which changes the setup:

That is a great looking bag. Nice mix of old and new.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Yep, sweet bag. How do you find playing golf in Japan? Is it expensive since real estate is at a premium? I suspect 24 hour driving ranges would also be common and fairly popular.

It's not cheap. I'm a long way from Tokyo, where golf can get very expensive very quickly, but even so golf on a weekday around here will run you about $65~70, and on a weekend around $130. There are some cheaper courses, but they are over an hour's drive on the expressway, which means you have to pay a toll. Add the toll to the green fee, and you might as well stay local.

There aren't any 24-hour driving ranges near me, most of them close at 10pm. That's probably the worst thing about golf here: pretty much all the practice facilities are mats, not grass.

A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes. Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes. Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!

Yep, the idea of just popping to the course for a quick 9 does not seem to exist here.

Also, when I played in Britain, golf was free if you were a member of that course/club. Here, you become a member and you still have to pay a green fee, it's just less than the guests. I don't know if there are any exceptions to that in Japan.

I imagine from Singapore, Malaysia is relatively easy to get to golf. Though I'm not sure they would have the--ahem--attractive "caddies."

Damm it's hard to kick out those V-steels!

The V-steel 7w is a really solid performer. It feels great, and with the shaft I get the shot shape and distance I want from it.

I'm not sure about the 4w. Still tinkering with that. At the moment, the R9 has the spot. Though I should take a look at some other offerings. The Ping G400 fairways and some cobra offerings have my eye.

Those Mizuno irons are some of the best looking clubs I've ever seen, great addition

Taylormade Sim 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7X
Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
GAPR Lo 2 iron - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Taylormade P760, 4 - PW - Project XLZ 6.5
Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport Beach 1.5 

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

Those irons are so sweet, man. I feel like I'll end up with a set eventually. They are nearly perfect irons, IMO.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

• 1 month later...

Recently, I've decided to play a bit of persimmon golf as well. I mainly aimed for an Eighties' bag, which is when I took up the game, but the driver is later (mid nineties, I think), I don't know about the 4w, and the 2w is actually from the mid-Fifties. Also, I have no idea about the putter. I picked it up in a "recycle" shop for peanuts, but it feels really nice. I also have a Wilson TPA XVIII for this bag as well. I have owned the BeCu L-wedge hiding away there since I was a junior. The rest of the clubs were bought this year.

The irons here are Mac Muirfields. I bought a 1-SW set that was seemingly unhit earlier this year, but I have six or seven sets from the Eighties and early Nineties that I could use, including Muirfield 20ths and Honma PP737s (seen in the background of the 4w picture).

The Muirfield sand wedge is OK, but I prefer the one from my Ram Pro Tour Camber Sole set, which has been reshafted with a DG S400 (+1/2").

Putters:

The Driver, when hit right, is long. Really, really long. I get better run out on it than my modern G400. The 2w has yet to see the course, but at the range it's getting about 250 on good hits. The 4w is really easy to hit, and goes about 220, maybe a tad more off the tee.

Recently, I've decided to play a bit of persimmon golf as well. I mainly aimed for an Eighties' bag, which is when I took up the game, but the driver is later (mid nineties, I think), I don't know about the 4w, and the 2w is actually from the mid-Fifties. Also, I have no idea about the putter. I picked it up in a "recycle" shop for peanuts, but it feels really nice. I also have a Wilson TPA XVIII for this bag as well. I have owned the BeCu L-wedge hiding away there since I was a junior. The rest of the clubs were bought this year.

The irons here are Mac Muirfields. I bought a 1-SW set that was seemingly unhit earlier this year, but I have six or seven sets from the Eighties and early Nineties that I could use, including Muirfield 20ths and Honma PP737s (seen in the background of the 4w picture).

The Muirfield sand wedge is OK, but I prefer the one from my Ram Pro Tour Camber Sole set, which has been reshafted with a DG S400 (+1/2").

Putters:

The Driver, when hit right, is long. Really, really long. I get better run out on it than my modern G400. The 2w has yet to see the course, but at the range it's getting about 250 on good hits. The 4w is really easy to hit, and goes about 220, maybe a tad more off the tee.

Trust me you will like the Mac 2 wood--- I actually put my Muirfields in the front line bag for this week but we have really gotten nasty cold wet weather this weekend so no golf. Really went retro in the wedge department dug out a 65 Wilson Staff Triple Duty. Did practice with the wedge last Sunday afternoon after church and got it weighted up for me as you know from my posts I like extremely heavy sand wedges. Oh well hopefully next weekend

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Dig it, love every picture in this thread :)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

great bag and set up sir

I think you need two things:

- the sushi headcover from Robert Mark Golf

- lime green paintfill on the wedges to match your bag

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

great bag and set up sir

I think you need two things:

- the sushi headcover from Robert Mark Golf

- lime green paintfill on the wedges to match your bag

Just had a look at that head cover... :good:

The bag has changed since that picture. The inner tube was knackered somehow and the damn thing kept falling over. The new one can be just about seen in the persimmon setup. It's a Honma bag, with a gimmicky strap that works like a seatbelt: pull it out to lift the bag up, then when you put the bag down, the strap automatically retracts for storage. I honestly don't see the point of it, but it's a good solid bag otherwise with lots of storage.

Your bag is pretty much, bang on what I wish mine was ha ha

Hey, you've got Miuras in yours, you're not doing too badly! And the Hiro Matsumoto putter is top notch. Plus you have a V-steel in there. Get the right shaft for that, then enjoy the sweet, sweet feel of a nutted V-steel.

I will say that I prefer the G400 over the G driver, mainly just because of the acoustics. I seriously considered going for the G earlier this year and dropping the G20 which I bagged for about 5 years, but I couldn't get over how loud the G was. When I hit the G400, I knew it was time to say goodbye to old faithful G20 at last *sob*.

How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....

The 7w is long. In fact, it is pushing up rather than down in terms of gapping, as it's forcing the 4w out for a strong 3w that will mainly be used off the tee. I've got about a 20y gap between the 4i and 7w, maybe more. That spot is actually the hardest I have to fill, and I have tried all sorts of combinations. If I take out a wedge and stick in a 3i, it's filled pretty well, but to be honest, there aren't many times I really need to worry about it. Maybe once every 3 rounds.

I recently bought a V-steel 9w (original version) to help fill the 7w-4i gap, but a 24* hybrid in place of the 4i might be the best option.

The 7w is long. In fact, it is pushing up rather than down in terms of gapping, as it's forcing the 4w out for a strong 3w that will mainly be used off the tee. I've got about a 20y gap between the 4i and 7w, maybe more. That spot is actually the hardest I have to fill, and I have tried all sorts of combinations. If I take out a wedge and stick in a 3i, it's filled pretty well, but to be honest, there aren't many times I really need to worry about it. Maybe once every 3 rounds.

I recently bought a V-steel 9w (original version) to help fill the 7w-4i gap, but a 24* hybrid in place of the 4i might be the best option.

Get a 4 iron in the Fli Hi MP18 they're sweet!

WITB 8/5/20
Driver: Taylormade SIM W/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7X
3 Wood: Taylormade M2 TOUR W/ Graphite Design Tour AD BB 7X
3 Iron: PXG 0311X GEN 2 W/ KBS TOUR HYBRID PROTOTYPE 95X
4 iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB W/ Project X LZ 6.5
5-PW:  Mizuno MP-20 MMC W/ Project X LZ 6.5

50,54,60: Titleist Vokey SM8 RAW W/ Onix Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 34"
Grips: Standard Golf Pride ZGrip Cord (Logo Down) +1 Wrap
Ball: Taylormade TP5x 
Bag: 2018 Navy/ Grey Ping Hoofer Lite 

I have demoed one, and really liked it. In fact, I was thinking about a #4 and maybe even a #2. Until recently I had a Honma TW-U #4, but I found I was just using the normal 4i so I sold it. Still have the #3 that can be seen in some of the pictures at the top. But recently I've been thinking that for 215-225y, a steel shafted 24* hybrid would be best.

Yep, the idea of just popping to the course for a quick 9 does not seem to exist here.

Also, when I played in Britain, golf was free if you were a member of that course/club. Here, you become a member and you still have to pay a green fee, it's just less than the guests. I don't know if there are any exceptions to that in Japan.

I imagine from Singapore, Malaysia is relatively easy to get to golf. Though I'm not sure they would have the--ahem--attractive "caddies."

It is mostly the same way here with memberships you pay greens fees. I have done something different for the coming year. I had won a free membership to a group of courses so I activated that and we still pay greens fees but at a reduced rate. Down here you hardly see set greens fees posted because a lot depends on what package plan folks visited and booked on.

I have demoed one, and really liked it. In fact, I was thinking about a #4 and maybe even a #2. Until recently I had a Honma TW-U #4, but I found I was just using the normal 4i so I sold it. Still have the #3 that can be seen in some of the pictures at the top. But recently I've been thinking that for 215-225y, a steel shafted 24* hybrid would be best.

I sorta like the 24 hybrid myself. I had been playing an old TM early Rescue but found an Adams last week that I hit good on the range. We will see how that goes but I always have my V-Steel 7&9 woods just in case

Nice bags Catchy, especially the classic bag of wood and steel. I've come to enjoy reading your exploits with golf implements.

I've been contemplating assembling a classic bag of MacGregors. To stand alongside the Hogans. Have grown rather infatuated with Muirfields. If memory serves, you have both Muirfields and Muirfield 20th's? If you had to pick one, and only one, which would you choose? Or are they similar enough that it doesn't make much difference. A decision made based on condition and price between the two. Depending on what I find, would probably perform a reshaft to my preferred weight and length.

Have a M/T M43 2 wood and M/T T.A. 693 5 wood blocks to cover that end of the bag. Thinking 5 - PW of whatever Muirfields. Plethora of wedges to pick from. And the Muirfield putter to place into service. Just a fun bag of MacGregors to play on occasion. You know, something different. TIA.

You now what I think of the V-Steels. Big fan. They've kicked to the curb all other fairway metals and hybrids in the modern bag. The 9 is very easy to hit, versatile, and fills the distance requirement that I'm after perfectly. But that's just me, with my less than perfect "old guy" swing.

Edit add: Now I read that you've come into a set of TM-92's. You've got a problem there mate. Ha!! Look forward to the pics.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

It is mostly the same way here with memberships you pay greens fees. I have done something different for the coming year. I had won a free membership to a group of courses so I activated that and we still pay greens fees but at a reduced rate. Down here you hardly see set greens fees posted because a lot depends on what package plan folks visited and booked on.

Really? That surprised me, as I always thought the US would have a similar system to the UK. I suspect, then, that Japan's membership/green-fee system is somewhat influenced by the US.

I think the UK is changing a bit, as a club my dad joined as a social member was offering several different types of membership. When I was a junior, there were only two types of membership for adult males: Full and Five-day (reduced green-fee on weekends). Full meant full playing privileges. Ladies had a reduced membership, and had priority on Tuesdays (they hated us juniors playing on Tuesdays in the holidays!). The course my Dad joined did away with a special Ladies's fee, and seemed to basically offer three or four different types of adult membership according to when members wanted to play. Not a bad system, especially as with more women working, having Tuesday as Ladies' Day is a bit anachronistic. Thinking about it, it was already anachronistic even in the Eighties.