Newer Cobra driver offerings vs Fly Z+

exgolfpro

Hi all. I currently own a Cobra Fly Z+ and really like it. But like everyone, I always wonder if I can find an extra yard or two by switching to a newer model. For those of you who have played multiple Cobra drivers, tell me your opinion of any of the following clubs....

f6, f6+, f7, f7+ or King LTD?

Tell me your likes and dislikes of any of them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played ampcell, biocell, flyZ, flyZ+, f7+ and have it the ltd. I'm not sure you are going to find anything longer than the flyz+ if the shaft fits. I moved to the f7+ simply because I liked the blue (go lions) and was sick and tired of digging grass and broken tees out of the flyz+. I liked the weight in the back position.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

LTD and F6+ are closest in feel to Fly-Z+ in my opinion. I didn't demo the F7s that much, since I found a great setup for me in F6+.

If you currently play weight forward, and want even more low launch & spin with the same harder impact (and less forgiveness), then F6+ can give you that with the weight up front.

LTD feels a lot like weight back on Fly-Z+, but with lower spin with higher MOI. It was too low spinning for me, but could be what you need for extra yards.

F6+ with the weight back is a great combo for me, highest MOI and launch with enough spin for my moderate SS. I'm setup at 11.5° in a lighter low launching shaft (Diamana D+ 62). Let's just say it works for me. I had a much better year driving with F6+ in 2017 than with Fly-Z or Fly-Z+ in 2016.

Hope this helps, cheers!

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Cool thread. I'm new to Cobra drivers this year but given how cheap they can be found I've really enjoyed testing and trying out most of the models.

I started with a Fly Z+ which I bought purely to get the shaft that was in it. I bought an F7+ head only to try out.I liked the feel of the head, but something about the way it set up didn't work for me. I prefer drivers with a deeper, more compact footprint and the F7+ looked like the opposite. The head has much more of a "triangle" shape than other cobra drivers which didn't work well for me.

I briefly tinkered with the LTD but HATED it. Maybe I had a dud head, but it felt dead and even center hits felt like mis-hits. This played with my head and after a range session and a few rounds i'd given up on it.

I tried out the Fly Z+ that came with the Aldila and have been very impressed how it has performed for me. I love the way the head sets up, especially the way the hosel flows into the head...makes me feel like its easy to hit a strong fade. I ordered a heavier weight off ebay, and cut it down to 44.5" and am good to go.

That said, I'm still curious about the F6+ and maybe even the Bio Cell+ as I've heard good things about both. PM if you've got a nice clean black head lying around and we can chat!

I'll also be testing my Fly Z+ against the F8+ once they hit the shelves here in Canada. Being able to switch out the shafts makes it easy to isolate performance of each of the heads.

I gamed the Fly-Z+ all season and had no complaints once my swing synced up and the thing got going. At the end of the season here I got the LTD and played 2 rounds with it so take any of this with a grain of salt but I seemed to be hitting it much more consistent at about the same or slightly less distance (both days were sub 50, even in the 30's so more than likely had to do with that). My only complaint with the LTD is the sound, which just sounds like you hit it like junk, but the results are good so I got over that quickly. Won't know more though til I play it next year.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

Hi all. I currently own a Cobra Fly Z+ and really like it. But like everyone, I always wonder if I can find an extra yard or two by switching to a newer model. For those of you who have played multiple Cobra drivers, tell me your opinion of any of the following clubs....

f6, f6+, f7, f7+ or King LTD?

Tell me your likes and dislikes of any of them.

I'm wondering the same thing currently!

[u]Current Set Up:[/u]
TaylorMade Sim2 Max w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 
Cleveland Zip Core 50*

Cleveland Zip Core 56*

Cleveland Zip Core 60*
Odyssey O-Works #7s

I play the bcp and I honestly can't imagine any newer drivers beating it for distance or flight. I have the 6Q3 in x stiff and set at 11. For me even at my low 100s swing speed that set up produces high, straight, low spinning bombs, easily 20 yards past any other driver I own. It isn't super forgiving but if I'm swinging well it's very consistent. Have hit an LTD in the store and it felt horrible compared to the bcp. The LTD had a different shaft, but even with the same shaft I couldn't see the LTD out performing the bcp. From what I've heard the fz+ is in the same league as the bcp, I would stick with it.

It always amazes me when people don't like the sound or feel of the LTD. Imo it's the goat in both categories. I briefly played around with the F7/F7+ but was not a fan of either. I'm not too fond of the looks of the F8, so I'll just stick with the LTD again next season, which will be my 4th straight. That's twice as long as any other driver I've ever owned lol.

FTR I don't even shop other driver brands any longer (unless I'm getting fitted; it would be stupid not to). Cobra is where it's at!

It always amazes me when people don't like the sound or feel of the LTD. Imo it's the goat in both categories. I briefly played around with the F7/F7+ but was not a fan of either. I'm not too fond of the looks of the F8, so I'll just stick with the LTD again next season, which will be my 4th straight. That's twice as long as any other driver I've ever owned lol.

FTR I don't even shop other driver brands any longer (unless I'm getting fitted; it would be stupid not to). Cobra is where it's at!

Cobra is definitely on the top shelf of OEMs for drivers imo. When you factor in price they stand head and shoulders above the rest.

I have tried the flyz+, f6+ and the LTD with the same shaft, Graphite Design ADDI. Not a whole lot of difference in any of them, I had the weight set to the front of both the flyz+ and f6+ fwiw. I will be sticking with the f6+ for 2018 unless something crazy happens, like 10-15 yards.

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

And someone noted - their after market shaft selection is second to none if you know what you want. Even if you just need a new shaft for another OEM - if you know what I mean ;-)

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

Anyone else having problems getting ideal launch out of these Cobra drivers? I have an Amp Cell with an Aldila Tour Green set at 9.5 that i can hit to the moon but have tried Bio Cell, Bio Cell + and the regular Fly Z and they launched kinda low for me. The Fly Z was OK, but i had the loft set at like 11 degrees i think. I had the Bio Cell + twice because i thought it was a fluke how low is was launching for me the first time, same deal the second time.

I like the shape and the size of the + models but im kind of scared to try anything new since my Bio Cell + experience. Would a high launching shaft pair well with these lower launching/spinning heads? SS is 105 +/-

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

And someone noted - their after market shaft selection is second to none if you know what you want. Even if you just need a new shaft for another OEM - if you know what I mean ;-)

Unfortunately that great selection of shafts won't continue with the F8 series, they've really cut back on the choices. I'm going to have to pick up an F7 with UST Chrome before they are all gone.

• 7 months later...

I had a Fly Z + previously then got the F7 last year when it was on sale at Dick’s. I’ve never really gotten used to the F7 so I’m thinking of moving back to the regular Fly Z. I just got one for cheap used from GG with some credits and discounts I had. What setup is everyone playing in the Fly Z? I remember the stock shaft being a bit whippy.

... I did not care for the sound/feel of the Fly Z+ but I think the Fly Z just might be the best all round driver ever made. I upgraded to the F6 but went back to the Fly Z after a month or so. Performance was similar if not identical but I preferred the sound/feel of the Fly Z. I gave mine to my son and with a 16gm weight and a 44.25" Nunchuk shaft he carries it around 280-290 and is amazingly straight. He might be straight right or left but rarely any curve to his drives and he isn't interested in trying anything else.

... I rotated the F8 and F8+ in Phoenix playing every day for 6 weeks and in the end, the F8 was just a better fit for my game. I hit the F8+ longer with my best swings but hit the F8 consistently longer and definitely straighter. I even tried to replace it with a Rogue SZ and it performed virtually identical to the F8+, longest on my best swings but not as consistent or accurate as my F8 with an Even Flow Blue and two 12gm weights playing at 44.5". Imo the F8 is the first real improvement over the Fly Z as it spins a little less providing slightly more distance and slightly better wind performance, but the same as the Fly Z for consistency and forgiveness. It even looks very similar at address. And I have to admit the milled face is just very cool. I hit one of my longest drives ever on a specific hole with my F8 and all I was trying to do was put a good swing on it without going for more yards, but it was downwind and the trajectory was ideal and I felt like I could not put a better swing on it. Looked at the milled face and contact was absolutely perfect, just a hair above dead center. I like that I can wipe it after every swing or not touch it til the end of the round to see my contact pattern. And the Arccos in the grip is also a fun little tool. There is just so much to like about the F8 and F8+.

... My advice would be to demo the F8+ and compare it to your Fly Z+ as you can even swap your Z+ shaft into the F8+ if you want an apples to apples comparison. It should provide slightly better performance although that is never a given when you have 100% confidence with your current driver. But with everything the F8+ offers, you might as well find out if it is better for you. The Cobra staff players, specifically Rickie and Lexi put the F8+ in their bags immediately, and that always tells you something. Sometimes they do not "upgrade" at all and other years it takes them awhile before they make the change. I know when I hit them on Demo Day at the PGA Show I knew almost instantly I would be playing both the F8 and F8+ this season.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Had the Fly Z+ with the Diamana Ka'li 60 and loved it until the head cracked where the sole and crown meet at the back of the club. Cobra replaced it no questions asked but sent me a new F6+. Sold it immediately as I did not like it at all. It felt dead compared to the Fly Z+. I was tempted to go with the LTD but went with the 2016 M2 and have not looked back.

I have had the OG Cobra ZL, Bio Cell, Fly Z+, and the F6+ and if I had to choose between these it would be the Fly Z+.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

F8+ with the hzrdus black has been nothing short of amazing for me. stock setup, right out of the box. feel, accuracy and distance are top notch. FlyZ+ couldn't beat my biocell+. i skipped the LTD series, so no comparison to that one unfortunately.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Had the Fly Z+ with the Diamana Ka'li 60 and loved it until the head cracked where the sole and crown meet at the back of the club. Cobra replaced it no questions asked but sent me a new F6+. Sold it immediately as I did not like it at all. It felt dead compared to the Fly Z+. I was tempted to go with the LTD but went with the 2016 M2 and have not looked back.

... I think sound/feel has to be one of the most difficult aspects to "get right" for all OEMs especially when it comes to drivers. For me, the Fly Z+ was one of the worst sounding and feeling drivers I have ever hit. Tinny, loud, and the face just felt flimsy to me. Imo the best feeling/sounding modern head is the Epic with a very dense, thick face feel that I absolutely love, especially when the ball explodes off the face with a nice THUD not CRACK, and wish the F8 was similar. Of course others hated it and described it similar to your feelings about the F6+... dead. Obviously sound/feel is very personal and for every person that loves the sound/feel of any given driver, there is alway someone else that hates it.

... Long story short as I learned this lesson early in my reviewing career. I played a set of Hogan 99's for a few months and they were just too crisp feeling for me so I traded them in on some MP33's that gave me that soft, ball melt into the face feeling I love. My first day with the MP33's at the range, there was a kid about 25 yrs old hitting what looked like a new set of Hogan 99's right next to me. We both hit a 4 iron to a green and our balls hit each other which is pretty weird so I asked him about his irons. Turns out if was his first time hitting the Hogans and he traded in a set of MP33's because in his opinion they felt like "mush" and he loved the crisper feel and feedback of the 99's. It was a great learning experience for me about how different golfers have different opinions concerning sound/feel and I became more explanatory about sound/feel in my reviews.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

There is a YouTube review of the Cobra F6 vs F7 vs F8. It is a really neat video. Same person, same shaft, same lofts, different heads. All ridiculously similar except the distances. The distances increased by 10 yards average for each model.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx