WITB for bcflyguy1: all the 2021 clubs are in!

Putter looks nasty! I want one

Cheers, Scratch! Suppose if they made a lined 2-Ball with that milled insert you'd never have to switch putters again!

But then, what fun would that be? :D

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

So I got a chance to test drive the Sub-Zero this weekend, on the range and 9 holes just for grins. It was exactly what I expected. I would likely need an 11.5* (at least 10.5) to make this even remotely usable. Very low launch and very low spin. Anyone standing 70 yards in front of my tee shots with it would not have been safe. I can definitely see the merits of it and as others have mentioned it looks and sounds beautiful, but it's definitely not for me.

WITB Link

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube....h?v=JG8C9f5t5pI

Swing video. A little dated, but still pretty much what the action looks like.

That's entirely too smooth... needs some more violent action added in :D

Titleist TSi3 10* AD-DI 6s
Ping G430 15* Max AD-DI 7s

Ping G430 19* Hybrid AD-DI85s
Srixon MKii Utility 4 22* AD-DI85s

Srixon ZX5 5-6, ZX7 7-PW Modus 120s

Ping Glide 4.0 50* , PXG SD II 54 and 58 BP Grind DG Tour Issue Spinners

SWAG The Boss 35in 
Vessel Lite Ghosted Camo

https://www.youtube....h?v=JG8C9f5t5pI

Swing video. A little dated, but still pretty much what the action looks like.

That's entirely too smooth... needs some more violent action added in :D

That's in another video titled "Reaction to Poor Shot"

:busted2:

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

Played a State 1 day event at a course I hadn't played in several years today. Didn't play poorly, but horrid bogeys on 2 par 5's and a great drive that went in a hazard I didn't know was there ended up costing me a win. Too many unforced errors and not enough birdies to cover for them, which has been quite typical of my play the last few months. All year have played well in stretches but can't put together very many complete rounds. Played on paspalum greens for the first time that I can remember, and found them to be quite bouncy but putted nicely if a little bit slow. Made controlling distance a challenge with a much bigger first bounce on wedges than I'm used to seeing.

The V-Line Fang's place in the bag is completely secure. I've never been so happy with a putter.

Driver is also quite settled. XR16 Pro 10.5 with an Ahina 70X. Not sure why the Ahina suits me so much better than anything else (even shafts that should be nearly identical like the D+ 70X) but it is ideally suited to me. Set at -1* and Draw, my ball flight is so nice and consistent that it allows my mind to be very clutter-free standing over tee shots, which is a big deal for me. No stress, I just know that I'm going to get the shot I'm looking for unless I make a really poor swing.

Went to the Kuro Kage Black 80 in the hybrids and that little bit of extra weight has made a positive difference in consistency. The hybrids felt just a bit too light with the Grafalloy shafts in them, and that caused me to get quick with them from time to time.

The only club that may get changed is the XR16 4W that may lose its place to a 816 16* with a Rogue 70X. New FW shows up tomorrow, and then the fight is on.

WITB Link

• 1 month later...

Wanted to share with everybody a training aid that I've been working with since it was in the prototype stage designed by my instructor. This tool has made a world of difference in improving the weakest part of my game, and I now have confidence with the putter in my hand for the first time since I took the game up. Link to video is below.

WITB Link

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Welp...getting older sure sucks and it's only just begun. Been on the shelf for the last couple weeks with a weird rib injury that has limited me to practicing short chip shots and putting. When it first happened I couldn't cough, sneeze or even laugh without excruciating pain, which is really bad news because my reaction to really intense pain is to laugh. Had several episodes where sneeze triggers shooting electric pain, shooting electric pain triggers laughter, laughter makes pain worse, snowball effect etc. etc. until complete exhaustion about 30 minutes later. Went to the Doc and couldn't diagnose the issue to certainty, but on the mend now and should be able to play again before too much longer. Bad timing for it though as my Dad has been in town for the past week and always relish the opportunity to play with him, but not this trip. That and this time of year the weather is as ideal as one can ask for, but oh well. The time off has actually served to refresh my zeal to play, and have resolved to not take myself nearly as seriously as I have in the past, which has been a big detriment.

Before the rib episode, the only areas of the bag that weren't entirely settled were FW and ball. Have found the Epic SZ FW to be a little hook-y no matter what settings I put it on, so it's spot in the bag is under threat from a Bertha Mini since I use FW from the tee more than the deck anyway. Will be testing RZN Tour Black and Tour Platinum as well as Chrome Speed against my current favorite, Chrome +. Looking forward to seeing what Tour Platinum does out on the course because it has been the clear favorite during my forced exile to the short game practice area.

Really not a fan of this fad of wood headcovers without shaft sleeves that protect against shaft rash, so using some old school Callaway covers that I'll include in the pictures of the bag when I finally get some taken.

WITB Link

• 2 months later...

Quick update...had hoped to get some pics taken today but overcome by events for the umpteenth time. Couple relatively recent updates.

3W: Since I hit FW from the tee much more often than the deck, thought why not experiment with a 14* Bertha Mini. Experiment has been a smashing success as this club has proven to be an ideal set-up for several tee shots around my 36 hole home course. The unexpected bonus has been that hitting the Mini from the deck has produced shockingly good results, far better than expected.

Ball: Was a good run, but the Callaway monopoly in my bag has been broken. I understand why Callaway has gone the direction they have with their tour balls and it makes good business sense, but they don't match up with me well at all. Gave the Chrome Soft X every chance to earn its keep, but it just hasn't. While the X certainly improves on the glaring deficiencies of the CS, it doesn't do so entirely. The CS produced an alarming frequency of hot fliers with full wedges and short irons for me, and while the X does this far less often it still happens often enough that I can't trust it under the gun. Watching a shot cover the flag only to produce a random bonus +10 of carry will drive anybody mad. Love everything else about the CS X, but the inconsistency on scoring shots is easily a deal breaker and don't know what else to attribute that to other than the ball simply being too soft. So RZN Tour Platinum is back in the bag after performing VERY impressively during a trial run earlier this spring. The vastly more predictable and reliable performance on scoring shots was the clincher. 4 birds in a quick 8 hole loop with Platinum this afternoon in 15+ mph winds confirmed that Platinum is the way forward.

WITB Link

• 3 months later...

At the start of the year, I set the goal that I would "do the double" at my home club. The double being winning the Open tournament as well as the Club championship which is for members only. Halfway home now after winning the Open championship this weekend. Difficult conditions both days (particularly day 2 with 20+ mph winds), and it was an exhausting test of patience. The golf was not always pretty, but managed to scab it around 4 shots better than the field. Been a long time in coming, but was finally able to exorcise some mental demons stemming from a horrific performance in US Open qualifying a few years ago. Looking forward to completing the double in about a month. Updated the WITB in the first post to reflect what was in play this weekend.

WITB Link

Nice bag, why do you play the Callaway Speed Regime 3+? I have been using Costco Callaway Supersoft most of this season and can no longer find them. I wondered if these were similar? Thanks.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

Nice bag, why do you play the Callaway Speed Regime 3+? I have been using Costco Callaway Supersoft most of this season and can no longer find them. I wondered if these were similar? Thanks.

SR3+ (tour prototype previously played by Phil, Patrick Reed, Lexi Thompson among others) is about as different from the SuperSoft as it can possibly be. I play it because I actually like the firmer feel, Callaway balls have always performed well for me in the wind, and it gives me consistently high spin on short irons and wedges. Never really cared for the squishy feel of Chrome Soft or Chrome Soft X, and both gave me very inconsistent spin performance on scoring shots.

WITB Link

At the start of the year, I set the goal that I would "do the double" at my home club. The double being winning the Open tournament as well as the Club championship which is for members only. Halfway home now after winning the Open championship this weekend. Difficult conditions both days (particularly day 2 with 20+ mph winds), and it was an exhausting test of patience. The golf was not always pretty, but managed to scab it around 4 shots better than the field. Been a long time in coming, but was finally able to exorcise some mental demons stemming from a horrific performance in US Open qualifying a few years ago. Looking forward to completing the double in about a month. Updated the WITB in the first post to reflect what was in play this weekend.

Congratulations on the win.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize I'm late to the party, but... a 6'4" pilot? Man, that cockpit must feel small!

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

I was actually an Electronic Warfare Officer on the B-52, but my seated height was just short enough to not be disqualifying for fighter-type aircraft. Would have been a very tight fit, though.

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my quest to do the home club double was undone this weekend by my 38 year old high mileage lower back. Was kicking footballs with my high school players a couple weeks ago when I felt that horrible sensation which I'd imagine is like getting hit by a taser in the lower back. Rested and and did rehab while not touching a club and felt better enough to attempt playing in the club championship this weekend. Initially felt fine and made two routine pars to open the round, but on the tee at the par 5 3rd I felt an awful zing up the left side of my spine as I was settling into my stance. It didn't get any better after that, and while there wasn't really any pain while swinging, getting into my stance, teeing the ball up, and getting the ball out of the hole were all excruciating. Was able to gut out a 76 while missing two short putts and was only two shots off the lead, but my back REALLY started to seize up after the round. Hours of spasms that afternoon made it abundantly clear that I needed to WD, so regretfully did so. Really bummed to have all the work I'd put in toward that goal undone by a body break-down, but obviously am not as young and limber as would like to believe.

Bag was unchanged from what I won the club Open tournament with. Really intrigued with the idea of giving an EVNROLL putter a try, though. Also have a sleeve of 2018 Chrome Soft X to test drive, so looking forward to seeing what improvements Mr. Ishii was able to make. All that is on hold until feeling better though, obviously.

Getting old sucks. :angry2:

WITB Link

First trip of many to the physical therapist this morning and they determined I have a badly herniated disc at L4/L5. So will be going back there 3 times a week for the foreseeable future...hooray. Got my first introduction to a traction machine, and that actually felt great...until they unhooked me from it. The instant I moved after the traction, my entire back went violently into spasm. The pain (and noise I made :o ) really defy description, but that's what has to be done to get back healthy again.

WITB Link

Get well soon.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

• 2 weeks later...

Going to PT 3 days a week, and it's going very well but still haven't been cleared to start making full swings yet. I'm even more antsy to get back playing because I'm missing the peak of both our best stretches of weather for golf. I missed the best part of the spring because of a pulled rib muscle, and now on the DL for the best parts of the fall. Been pitching and putting for a few days now, but I don't dare try making a full swing until cleared to do so. This back episode was so painful and debilitating that unduly risking a relapse is completely out of the question.

When I do get back out, the EVNROLL ER2 will be in the bag. Very impressed with it so far.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

I was allowed to "graduate" from PT a week ago today, so very thankful for that. Now its just a matter of building and maintaining better core strenght, stability, and flexibility with gym work. Been able to play about 4 rounds since then in some of our best playing weather of the year, and while I probably shouldn't expect better after going a month without making a swing the novelty of playing but playing quite poorly has worn off. Good shots are still really good, but the bad shots are just nauseatingly bad and that leads to ugly scores. Hoping to log some time on the practice tee with my coach very soon, have to get the basic fundamentals back in order.

While I'm not sold on the ER2 as the solution in the long term, I can certainly see what all the EVNROLL buzz is about. Thinking I maybe should have waited for the plumbers neck versions which appear to be coming in their 2018 range.

Also got to test a sleeve of the 2018 Chrome Soft X, and think Mr. Ishii helped Callaway finally get it right. The consistency and predictability that were not present in the Chrome Soft and first version of the X are there in spades, and the short game spin is excellent.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Have been playing decent at times since getting done with PT and have had no issues with the back at all. Had a good session with my coach to tighten up the fundamental bolts, so hoping to see more birdies and consistency of ball striking.

While I could certainly see what all the EvnRoll buzz is about, the feel from the face grooves was just different enough that I couldn't see it staying in the bag. The combination of the different feel and not having a plumber neck made it a bridge too far. And of course not long after EvnRoll revealed the true Anser shape they will be releasing in '18, so maybe will give them a second look. If the second generation O-Works insert feels a little bit firmer, then that will likely be the next putter given a chance to knock out the PT 2.

Was talking set make-up with my coach last time, and we agreed that going to only three wedges and adding a 3 iron would be helpful as I didn't have a club that was well suited to hitting low tee shots when driver is not the play. Iron set-up will be '16 Apex Pro 3,4,5 with '18 Apex MB 6-P all bent 1* weak for gapping and all with DG AMT X100. 54* SW and 60* LW in either MD3 or MD4 with DG S400.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Went to SoCal for family Christmas, but didn't take the clubs so didn't play or practice for a week. Played yesterday and brought in a 71; +5 thru 6 and -6 over the last 12. Heard that referred to as "Dad Golf".

WITB Link

• 4 weeks later...

Privileged to have been selected to test the Aldila Synergy Blue shaft for WRX. You can follow that thread here.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1585392-member-testing-aldila-synergy-blue-shafts-read-reviews-here/

WITB Link

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

Have a couple different bag set-ups in use right now that I'll list below:

Config. 1:

Rogue SZ 9* Driver

Rogue Strong 3 Wood

Rogue SZ 5 Wood

3-5 iron Apex Pro '16

6-PW Apex MB '18

54W and 60X MD4 wedges

Config. 2

Rogue SZ 9* Driver

Apex 18* hybrid

21* X Forged Utility

4-PW X Forged Irons

50W, 56W, 64S MD4 Wedges

At the moment, config. 1 is comfortably in the lead to be in play when tournaments and state qualifiers come around later this spring. Haven't been able to find much confidence with the 64* wedge in set 2, and have been able to control distance with only 3 wedges in the first setup. Having the extra FW in the bag has also proven quite useful.

Also still trying to work out which ball to play between the '18 Chrome Soft and X. The '18 Soft even being in the conversation is testament to how much the new versions of the ball are improved. The consistency that has been lacking in previous versions of the Chrome Soft is there in spades.

Went for quite a long stretch without wearing Nike shoes, but recently gave the Lunar Control Vapor 2 a try and am really glad to have done. Simple and clean looks, grip to spare, and quite comfortable to walk in. Feel very much like the SP-8 TW that still is my favorite golf shoe of all time.

WITB Link

• bcflyguy1 changed the title to WITB for bcflyguy1: all the 2021 clubs are in!