Bridgestone X-CBP Anyone???

Timastyle

Does anyone have any experience with these? Can't seem to find any info on these. There's plenty on the X-CB but not the one with a pocket as it appears to be Japan only release.

Currently play a Srixon Z765 (pw-7i)/Z565 (6-4i with the 6i bent 1* weak) combo with SF i95 stuff shafts. I love the forgiveness and flight of the Z565, but not thrilled about the Z765 (may have more to do with my skill level than anything). The feel on both is nice but nothing special for me. Thought about going all 5 series but the stronger lofts in the shorter irons put me off. Hit it far enough (7i is 175 carry) and my yardage gaps are good the way it is (wedges are 51*, 55*, 60* if that matters). The X-CBP seems to be happening similarly to what I'm used to so I'm wanting to know what the forgiveness of them would be compared to.

Also, any other JDM irons that would have similar forgiveness and more player's CB lofts that I should look at?

Also, not sure if it matters much, but I think the SF i95 shafts are a little too light for my liking. May want to look into the i110 or another graphite/composite options for my joints. Reading up on the Attas and Roddio. Any recommendations on shafts would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comparison Bravo! I was thinking that it may sit between the 5 and 7 series Srixon irons given the tungsten weights in the soles and progressiveness of CB, which could have worked, but seems like that's not the case. Any other irons you could recommend that fit in line with the 565s?

Apparently as compared to the Tour B X-CB, of course it has a thin pocket cavity, but the face is made from their proprietary chrome molybdenum steel. I guess for increased forgiveness across the face, maybe some increase in ball speeds. Seems to be a direct competitor to the Srixon Z-565. The blade is 1mm longer than the X-CB also. The top line slightly thicker, and sole is slightly wider, but it is rounded. A very nice package all around, wish Bridgestone would offer it to NA, but they won't. I found this brief write up from a Japanese site with all the information and additional pics. I used Chrome to translate it: http://golfgear.top/%E3%83%96%E3%83%AA%E3%83%82%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E3%83%B3tour-b-x-cbp%E3%82%A2%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%81%AE%E8%A9%A6%E6%89%93%EF%BC%86%E8%A9%95%E4%BE%A1/

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| UST Mamiya Recoil ES SW 780 F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Thanks for sharing that link. Very insightful and makes me want them even more. I used to have a set of J40 DPC irons that I loved but can use a little more forgiveness and higher trajectory. Sounds like these are them to a T.

Now it's just a matter of shafts. Global Rakuten has these in OTi, MCI, Attas and others to look into.

I was at one of the local golf shops today that carries Yamaha irons. Noticed that the RMX PB irons from '15 are extremely similar in design to the X-CBP. I hit these when I was there last time and seemed relatively forgiving. One review I read suggested for 10 cap or better saying it only has a touch of forgiveness over their CB model. Can them for $800 new with Modus 120 shafts but also didn't spend a bunch of time hitting them either.

Just when i thought i was done shopping. lol

Those X-CBP's look impressive, never even heard of them, i'm glad u posted this inquiry.

I have a 545 [4] 765 [567] 965 [89pw] thought about getting a full set of 565, i was not aware of the strong lofts on the 565's thanks for the info.

For now i'm going to make do with the Epon AF-502's i found recently, these have fairly low offset for a GI iron, some leading edge relief, hi cor welded face alpha gel insert, 45 degree wedge. Mine have Shimada tour shafts, if i find myself in love with these i will put some spare recoil 125's or Steelfiber i125 CW in them. Same as above for the Japan spec Rapture V2's i found as well. These are obviously older iron sets but the prices are very fair on them and makes experimentation affordable and one never knows what works till one try's.

Best of luck in your search.

I've owned and played the 545 and 745 extensively and I'm just moving from a J15MB to the Tour B X-CB. I've owned a set of Bridgestones from every line for the last ten years and have never been disappointed with a single one of their irons. It's like they don't release things that don't perform well or improve upon their predecessors' performance. I would have ordered the P instead of the CB if it weren't for the thick top edge and the size of the clubhead. I'm SURE that this club is the real deal and, if you think you like it, it'll work. I'd go to a B-S dealer near you and hit the CB (which is very comparable to the 765). If you like that one more than the 765, which I think you will, you'll like the P even more. Just imagine the CB scaled up a little, with a little thicker top line. I'm one, again, that thinks you can't go wrong with Bridgestone. Pay for a fitting here then order on Rakuten....it'll save you several hundred dollars. I just ordered the 4-PW in the X-CB (all custom LLL, grips, shafts) for $820, shipping included. The best I could do here on that setup was over $1200..

Just recently moved from J15 CBs to Tour B X-CBs. Completely agree with Speeth above...if you think you'll like the CBPs then go for it. Bridgestone continually delivers quality irons. They might not look the best in pics, but feel and performance-wise they're all business. I bought my last two sets without demoing either and both were better then expected. Looking forward to their new wedges.

Yes, I'm very interested in getting this. Just trying to work out the right graphite/composite shaft to get. Wanting something in the 105-110g range and from what I can tell, the MCI, MCI Black, OTi, Tour AD, and Attas are all available, but not much info on them. Trying to see how these compare to my current shafts (SF I95) in terms of flex, feel, flight, spin, etc. For anyone with info on them or can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I just bought a new set of J15 MB with KBS 120 Siff and.....

OMG<OMG<

It is the best feeling blade iron set that I had ever played; its feel so much better compared to the Mizuno / Fourteen / Callaway apex MB or any other blade irons set that on the US market right now and this set came out almost 3 years ago.

And the best thing on top of that is the insane forgiveness of this iron set (maybe because of the weaker loft?).

I also have a (2015) J715 B5 9.5* driver head and I am going to put in a Grafalloy BiMatrix Tour Orange shaft to test it out. This head face has the "Milled Face", the same technology that Cobra offered for their next year line up.

At my PGASS location, they don't have any current line up of bridgestone for testing, so I can't compare them.

and I am not a big fan of the new design of this year line up. Maybe my eyes just got pull to the beauty of the traditional bladed iron.

• Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 9* Driver - Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 Graphite
  • Callaway Rogue ST Max 3HL Wood - Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 Graphite
  • Callaway Apex Utility Wood 3UW - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.0 80
  • Taylormade P.790 4-PW - 
  • Ben Hogan Equalize Wedges 54* & 58* - KBS Tour V  S                            
  • 2020 Toulon Design Chicago Stain Chrome                                                                                                                  

I have no doubt they will feel great and perform to my expectations. With my previous experience with the J40 DPC, which I loved, I figure this will have a little more forgiveness and similar most every other way.

A local retailer can get these for me at $1050 with the "standard" graphite, but I have no idea what those would be. He also said that the rep they talked to suggested to go in for a fitting to find the right shaft. I've asked if they're going to have the head and various shaft options available to try out so that it's a true fitting, but haven't heard back. I'm doubtful that this will be the case, but we'll see what they come back with. In the meantime, I would appreciate help on the shafts if you can chime in.

Also, does anyone have a list of available graphite/composite shaft options through Bridgestone that are available for these irons? I can't seem to find the custom list anywhere.

I was able to find the US retail options on the X-MB and X-CB, but not the X-CBP.

The best I could come up with is this link from Global Rakuten: https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-zerost/item/1706h000011819/

If you scroll down it shows pretty much all of the custom grips and shafts (graphite/composite included) that are offered. These irons, as you know, are only offered from Japan so up charges and such probably will be dependent on who you order them from. As you will see, it is pretty extensive.

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

I've seen those listings and what has helped me narrow down my shaft options. What I was uncertain of is if these are custom done through B'Stone or if the seller assembles them. Thanks for sharing!

I would have to believe that the seller orders them direct from Bridgestone Japan and they assemble them, not the seller. Just like if you were to find a local shop that can order them for you. If I am wrong, and the seller assembles them, I would shy away. Maybe someone else could chime in with how that works through Rakuten.

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Thanks pjc! Turns out they're sold out in those shaft options anyway, so I will either need to see if they stock back up or go with a more "stock" option then look to replace shafts down the road. Not sure what to do at this point as I have yet to get a response back from the 2 sellers I've reached out to on Rakuten.

Thanks pjc! Turns out they're sold out in those shaft options anyway, so I will either need to see if they stock back up or go with a more "stock" option then look to replace shafts down the road. Not sure what to do at this point as I have yet to get a response back from the 2 sellers I've reached out to on Rakuten.

Maybe go back for those RMX PB irons with the Modus 120 in them. That's a hell of an iron with a great shaft for $800 bucks!

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Thanks! I hadn't thought about them since our side bar conversation. I can still get the X-CBP with Modus 120 for a couple hundred more than the RMX PB through Rakuten, so if the forgiveness is more on the B'Stone, I'd rather go that route. Now if I could get the store down from $800 and bent to my spec for lie, then the Yamaha may be a better choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a used set of X-CBP irons with MCI black shafts on Rakuten. It's .25" longer than standard but easy enough to fix. The SW on them ranges from D3 in the PW to DO in the 4i. Does anyone know if the bulk of the shafts are butt heavy? Curious if the SW will increase or decrease by shortening the shafts .25".

Found a used set of X-CBP irons with MCI black shafts on Rakuten. It's .25" longer than standard but easy enough to fix. The SW on them ranges from D3 in the PW to DO in the 4i. Does anyone know if the bulk of the shafts are butt heavy? Curious if the SW will increase or decrease by shortening the shafts .25".

That's a bit odd that the swing weight changes that much in the set. Bridgestone usually builds their irons with a constant swing weight throughout the set, with the PW being 1 point higher sometimes. When they build a set with graphite, they state that the build will be .25" over what the standard is per the iron set. The CBP's should be carrying a constant swing weight of D2 from everything that I have seen/read with whatever shaft is installed, they are one of the greats at this.

If you shorten the shaft .25", it will drop the swing weight at least a point, like from D3 to D1.5 or D2.

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Maybe it's because the MCI black shafts have ascending weights?

Not sure if they are or not, but even so, the head weights themselves should take care of that. The heads get heavier as the club gets shorter to even out the swing weights. Something just seems off for the 4 iron to be at D0 and the PW to be at D3 unless the customer requested that to begin with.

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

I know the MCI blacks vary from 95g or 98g in the 4i to 115 in the PW. Here's what Golf Partner from Rakuten provided when I asked about specs:

Number : Club Length (inch) : Club Weight (g) : Balance (Swing Weight)

> >

> > 4I : 38.75 : 384 : D0

> > 5I : 38.25 : 394 : D1

> > 6I : 37.75 : 403 : D1

> > 7I : 37.25 : 412 : D2

> > 8I : 36.75 : 421 : D2

> > 9I : 36.25 : 431 : D3

> > PW : 35.75 : 447 : D4

I know the MCI blacks vary from 95g or 98g in the 4i to 115 in the PW. Here's what Golf Partner from Rakuten provided when I asked about specs:

Number : Club Length (inch) : Club Weight (g) : Balance (Swing Weight)

> >

> > 4I : 38.75 : 384 : D0

> > 5I : 38.25 : 394 : D1

> > 6I : 37.75 : 403 : D1

> > 7I : 37.25 : 412 : D2

> > 8I : 36.75 : 421 : D2

> > 9I : 36.25 : 431 : D3

> > PW : 35.75 : 447 : D4

Well, ok. The lengths are spot on per what Bridgestone posts on their website for a graphite shaft build. I am still puzzled at why the swing weights span from D0 to D4. I am not saying that there is anything wrong, but if it were me I would call Bridgestone customer service in Covington. Ask to speak to one of their techs, or they even have an option on the automated system to be transferred to them (might have to leave a VM they will call back). I have spoken to them on a couple of occasions, and they were very sharp. They can answer almost any question you throw at them, and for me, this build would pose some questions. If you don't mind that much of a progression in swing weight, then go for it. Those shafts are premium, not to mention the heads. Could be that this is the only way that BS can build this iron set with this shaft. I looked up some specs for this shaft, and found this from Tourspec golf...interesting shaft.

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/fujikura-mci-black-shaft.html

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star