Best course almost nobody talks about!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Southern Pines in Pinehurst, NC.

I enjoy Southern Pines too, a lot remains from when Donald Ross designed it, and the price is very reasonable. But it was closed this summer for a bit due to financial and management issues, and was reportedly in poorer shape than normal for a while. Sad to hear, I hope the new management finds a way to get it back in good condition.

Cassique in Kiawah

The Classic at Madden’s in Minnesota

Primland in Virginia

Our band is playing the New Year’s Eve Gala at Primland. If we were playing there in warm weather, I’d be angling to get on the course. Friends have played and given it good reviews.

Spring Creek, 20 minutes east of Charlottesville, is one of my favorites, and easily eclipses the other Charlottesville courses, which are pretty much all very stuffy except the muni I play regularly.

Great thread!

One very fun experience in Northeast Florida is the nine hole course at White Oak Conservation in Yulee, FL. There are two different sets of tees, so the course plays like two different nines.

It's always in great shape and lunch is included.

Oh, and on the way in you pass open pens with wildlife like rhinos, cheetas, and giraffes.

Huh - I have visited Yulee/ Fenandina Beach a bunch of times to play with my buddy who is a member at North Hampton. He has not mentioned this place ever!? I’ll be having a word,,,

You mentioned North Hampton, bingo! A great course and I'll add Kinderlou not far away in Valdosta, GA.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Southern Pines in Pinehurst, NC.

I enjoy Southern Pines too, a lot remains from when Donald Ross designed it, and the price is very reasonable. But it was closed this summer for a bit due to financial and management issues, and was reportedly in poorer shape than normal for a while. Sad to hear, I hope the new management finds a way to get it back in good condition.

Hope they recover, I really like this course, feel very comfortable here and the course was exciting. Local dew-sweepers were on first tee and insisted we go ahead of them. It's been a couple of years, don't want to see this course go under. Many high dollar courses surround this gem.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Great thread!

One very fun experience in Northeast Florida is the nine hole course at White Oak Conservation in Yulee, FL. There are two different sets of tees, so the course plays like two different nines.

It's always in great shape and lunch is included.

Oh, and on the way in you pass open pens with wildlife like rhinos, cheetas, and giraffes.

Huh - I have visited Yulee/ Fenandina Beach a bunch of times to play with my buddy who is a member at North Hampton. He has not mentioned this place ever!? I’ll be having a word,,,

You mentioned North Hampton, bingo! A great course and I'll add Kinderlou not far away in Valdosta, GA.

Actually just found out he is moving to a place on Laurel Island Links in GA. That's a decent course but it's not as good as North Hampton. I will tell him to check out Kinderlou as well. I hope to get down there to play with him later in the year...

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I would say these 3 Upper Peninsula of Michigan courses deserve way more love than they receive.

Greywalls

Timberstone

Sweetgrass

All amazing courses, within 1.5 hours of each other, each unique in there own way, and can be played for a great price. Now with Sage Run joining"The Perfect 4-Some" U.P. golf is at a great level.

• 1 month later...

Shinnecock Hills! Just kidding! I think Tamarack CC in Greenwich CT is a fantastic course not a lot of people know. It is like a master class in golf course architecture. The back to back Punchbowl and Biarritz (#11 and 12) are terrific. Really great course.

you just said those two words that make me weak in the knees :shok:

I would say these 3 Upper Peninsula of Michigan courses deserve way more love than they receive.

Greywalls

Timberstone

Sweetgrass

All amazing courses, within 1.5 hours of each other, each unique in there own way, and can be played for a great price. Now with Sage Run joining"The Perfect 4-Some" U.P. golf is at a great level.

Ya shore ubetcha, for BOTH days of summer, eh!

It's a Golf Digest Top 100 Course, but Calusa Pines in Naples is an absolute stunner. I am playing Seminole around the first of 2018, but I have a hard time imagining Seminole will beat out Calusa Pines for Florida's best.

Very different courses. "Better" in this case is 100% personal preference.

WRT Calusa, it feels like Florida has a decent handful of these small, outstanding clubs that almost nobody has heard of - Hideout, Hole in the Wall, Old Memorial, etc. Any of which I'd be pretty happy to call home in January/February/March.

I worked at The Old Collier GC last winter, and it was phenomenal as well.

Giants Ridge generally get all the attention in Northern MN(deservedly so) but Wilderness at Fortune Bay is my favorite course.

Everything about the course is in mint condition and it's just a huge golf course, even compared to Giants Ridge.

17131.jpg

This hole is 190 yards, slightly up hill, with a multi-level green. A very challenging tee shot.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Vaaler Creek is a largely unknown gem in central Texas that's a little over an hour away from both San Antonio and Austin.

In Prospect, KY, Nevel Meade (designed by Steve Smyers) is one of the finest tracks you'll ever play, and greens fees are almost always under $40.

In the Denver area, The Meadows down in Littleton gets almost no love from locals, but the front 9 out there is as good as you'll find anywhere. (The back is still solid, but the front is utterly spectacular.)

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Another northern Minnesota unknown is Superior National Golf Club, on the north shore of Lake Superior, the largest lake in the world.

While not originally designed by Jeff Brauer, the architect of spectacular Quarry and Legend@Giants Ridge and Wilderness@Fortune Bay courses, Mr Brauer is currently renovating Superior National's courses, one 9 at a time.

Dramatic views, scenery, and elevation changes make Superior National a great golfing destination.

superior national golf club

http://superiornational.com/index.htm

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Vaaler Creek is a largely unknown gem in central Texas that's a little over an hour away from both San Antonio and Austin.

In Prospect, KY, Nevel Meade (designed by Steve Smyers) is one of the finest tracks you'll ever play, and greens fees are almost always under $40.

In the Denver area, The Meadows down in Littleton gets almost no love from locals, but the front 9 out there is as good as you'll find anywhere. (The back is still solid, but the front is utterly spectacular.)

Good to know about the Meadows. Not too far from my son’s house. I’ll have to check it out this summer.

FarmLinks @ Purcell Farms GC in Sylacauga, AL.

Definitely under the radar

Definitely one of the best.

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

I have to re-iterate Wild Horse in Gothenburg. We were lucky enough to play this before a few days at the Prairie Club. 12 out of 12 guys would have rather played another few rounds at Wild Horse....Ah May Zing greens. So pure.

I have to mention Cordillera Mountain course. 10,000ft+ above sea level. We golfed there two years ago and it was hole after hole of jaw dropping landscape and hole routing. It is in my top 3 course I want to play again. It is private, but there are a few hotels in Vail that can make you a tee time if you book a room with them. With so many courses in the mountain I wanted to mention it.

I'd probably say Laurel Hill in Lorton, VA. I believe they hosted the 2013 US Amateur Public Links Championship and some Middle Atlantic Amateur Championship in 2017. Gorgeous, hilly course that is susceptible to lots of wind.

I will say the people that work there, in general, have poor attitudes. The course itself is really nice and challenging. Pretty fast greens too. Not bad for a county course that was built in the place of a torn down jail.

12441.jpg

Laurel-Hill-Banner-750x300.jpg

49163.jpg

49164.jpg

I'd probably say Laurel Hill in Lorton, VA. I believe they hosted the 2013 US Amateur Public Links Championship and some Middle Atlantic Amateur Championship in 2017. Gorgeous, hilly course that is susceptible to lots of wind.

I will say the people that work there, in general, have poor attitudes. The course itself is really nice and challenging. Pretty fast greens too. Not bad for a county course that was built in the place of a torn down jail.

12441.jpg

Laurel-Hill-Banner-750x300.jpg

49163.jpg

49164.jpg

That does look nice. Can the public play there?

That does look nice. Can the public play there?

Yes, definitely! It is owned by the Fairfax County Park Authority, so it's open to the public.

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/golf/laurel-hill/rates-offers

Burlington Country club in Vermont classic Donald Ross tough 6350 from the tips!

Crumpin Fox in bernardston mass

Teuggia in Rome ny

Augusta country club in Augusta ga

Me and a friend used to get on to Teugega for a cart fee on Monday's back in the 90's. I used to get on to Oak Hill on Mondays for free. To be honest, it was really a toss up as to what was a better deal as Teugega was closer. That's how great of a course it was.

RH

Cassique in Kiawah

Primland in Virginia

Cassique in Kiawah

Primland in Virginia

Our band is playing the New Year’s Eve Gala at Primland. If we were playing there in warm weather, I’d be angling to get on the course. Friends have played and given it good reviews.

Spring Creek, 20 minutes east of Charlottesville, is one of my favorites, and easily eclipses the other Charlottesville courses, which are pretty much all very stuffy except the muni I play regularly.

I live 20 miles from Primland. It isn't even the best course in the area in my opinion. Next time you're in the area, check out Olde Mill, High Meadows, Cross Creek and The River Course.

Cross Creek is as quality a golf course as I have played, especially since the Kris Spence redesign about 10 years ago. It's also located in Mount Airy, North Carolina a.k.a. "Mayberry" so, you'll find some interesting things to do around town.