2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

I like #17 at Plum Creek. A great risk/reward Par 5.

I feel like 16 and 18 are a little trickier. 16 is well protected long par 3, lake right, plays into the prevailing wind. 18 I always seem to be left off the tee and have hit it in that lake from 16 a few times off that tee too. Well protected and slopey green, sand and lake in front.

Does anyone ever venture up a little further north (SouthBend)? Been looking for new people to play with as most of the few I play with here have terrible schedules. Looking for people to play with on a regular basis.

I would like to get up there and play the Warren Course at some point. Would probably need to be an overnight thing next summer though. Would be interested in meeting halfway at Rock Hollow anytime, though it appears the weather is about to go south fast on us next week.

Couple of us played Purgatory today... it's certainly ready to be put to sleep for the winter. Greens are bumpy as hell and the sand was unplayable. HoosierHacker liked it though, even had a putt bounce almost knee high on 10 green and still go in!

I like #17 at Plum Creek. A great risk/reward Par 5.

I feel like 16 and 18 are a little trickier. 16 is well protected long par 3, lake right, plays into the prevailing wind. 18 I always seem to be left off the tee and have hit it in that lake from 16 a few times off that tee too. Well protected and slopey green, sand and lake in front.

Does anyone ever venture up a little further north (SouthBend)? Been looking for new people to play with as most of the few I play with here have terrible schedules. Looking for people to play with on a regular basis.

I would like to get up there and play the Warren Course at some point. Would probably need to be an overnight thing next summer though. Would be interested in meeting halfway at Rock Hollow anytime, though it appears the weather is about to go south fast on us next week.

Couple of us played Purgatory today... it's certainly ready to be put to sleep for the winter. Greens are bumpy as hell and the sand was unplayable. HoosierHacker liked it though, even had a putt bounce almost knee high on 10 green and still go in!

Lucky. Good looking bastserd

Where is everyone getting their club work done around town?

I know golf galaxy does quite a bit and I’ve been to fairway custom golf at gray eagle. I’ve had good results with both in the past. What other options are out there?

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I am going to try to start hammering out some ideas for this Indy area golf outing. Who would be interested? You don’t need to commit or anything. I just want to get a potential number.

I am thinking of a few different courses to play this thing at and I will be looking for something in early to mid may. I want to stay away from mother’s day which is Sunday may 13, so probably be the weekend before or after.

Also looking for ideas on format? Skins game is probably the obvious, not other unique ideas I am open to.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

So what do you think is the toughest par 3 in town? I really hate #4 at Bear Slide. Over water and narrow green that runs hard toward the water on the right. Miss left and you're looking at bogey at best trying to keep the ball on the green. miss right and you're in the drink. Lots of bunkers and tall grass. This thing only plays between 135 and 166 depending on tees you play, but it can be a really hard one to stick. I've never birdied this thing, and i would bet 10/10 that a birdie on this hole would be good for a skin in a scramble.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I am going to try to start hammering out some ideas for this Indy area golf outing. Who would be interested? You don’t need to commit or anything. I just want to get a potential number.

I am thinking of a few different courses to play this thing at and I will be looking for something in early to mid may. I want to stay away from mother’s day which is Sunday may 13, so probably be the weekend before or after.

Also looking for ideas on format? Skins game is probably the obvious, not other unique ideas I am open to.

Just stumbled upon this thread. I'd love to get in on this outing, Hacker.

Played with a few of you guys this Fall and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the invites.

John, 54, Sales Rep, golf w/ good people and a dbl VO lemonade's my thang. Wife's got both kids outa the house but I'm hang'n on.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

So what do you think is the toughest par 3 in town? I really hate #4 at Bear Slide. Over water and narrow green that runs hard toward the water on the right. Miss left and you're looking at bogey at best trying to keep the ball on the green. miss right and you're in the drink. Lots of bunkers and tall grass. This thing only plays between 135 and 166 depending on tees you play, but it can be a really hard one to stick. I've never birdied this thing, and i would bet 10/10 that a birdie on this hole would be good for a skin in a scramble.

You could really argue any of them at Bear Slide would fit as an answer to this question. Though I do agree 4 is the hardest, but 6 has that blind tee shot to a narrow green sloping hard left to right. 14 always plays at least 1 club longer than it seems to that elevated green. 16 while short has nowhere to miss.

Other nominees... my list seems to have a mix of longer length, something (water/sand) to carry, and/or elevated greens. May suggest something about my game.

7 Brickyard

16 Plum Creek

14 & 17 Trophy Club

4 & 16 Royal Hylands

9 Stony Creek

18 Arrowhead

2nd vote for 7 Brickyard, can't miss that green and expect to get up and down. If you're outside of the fringe you will roll 50 yards steep downhill

Also 2nd vote for #8 Ironwood Ridge depending on where they put the pin

Adding in # 3 GCI, I've seen so many 3 putts on that one.

I forgot about 3 at gci that is a tough hole. It’s long and huge green. I have been ob to the left before on that one as well

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I think #9 on the Lakes and #8 on the Ridge at Ironwood are tougher than the island-ish hole.

Played Ironwood today and I agree that 9 Lakes is the hardest out there (though I've never played the Valley 9). It the pin is back left where the green is tiny and you have more water to contend with, it's as hard as any on our list above.

I am really wanting to get a membership to one of the local courses, so i am trying to decide where would be the best to play. My hours at work are changing, so ill be working monday through friday 7 am to 7 pm. I live in Castleton, and i'd like to find a place where i can walk. A decent practice facility would be a good bonus but not mandatory. I would need somewhere that i can walk twilight 2 or 3 nights a week.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I am really wanting to get a membership to one of the local courses, so i am trying to decide where would be the best to play. My hours at work are changing, so ill be working monday through friday 7 am to 7 pm. I live in Castleton, and i'd like to find a place where i can walk. A decent practice facility would be a good bonus but not mandatory. I would need somewhere that i can walk twilight 2 or 3 nights a week.

It may not be the best maintained track, but you might check out Gray Eagle. They are upgrading the practice facility with field turf target areas and new heaters in the bays, 1,600usd unlimited golf with cart, and for 300 more, you also get unlimited golf with cart at Ironwood.

I’m probably in for the golf outing

Titleist TS2 Driver
Titleist TS2 5 wood
Mizuno MP20 HMP 4-7 / MP20 MB 8-9
Mizuno T20 Raw 46*, T20 Chrome 52*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta Putter

any chance someone has a Club Glove travel bag or something similar they'd be willing to lend for a long weekend at the end of the month? Obviously I don't know anyone on here in person but figured I'd asked before buying one.

Titleist TSi3 8.25

Titleist TSi3 16.5

Titleist U500 3i

Taylormade P770 4i

Taylormade P7MC 5i-PW
Vokey SM9 52 58
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

I have a decent bag, it's taken care of me the couple times I've used it though it's probably not in the top-echelon of cases like Club Glove. Shoot me a PM tonight and I'll take a picture of it for you (if I can dig it out of the closet, haha), no worries if it's not what you're looking for.

Back to Indy golf ... I was surfing around Brickyard Crossing's website earlier this week and saw their greens fee has gone up to $110. Kind of raised my eyebrows a bit.

Back to Indy golf ... I was surfing around Brickyard Crossing's website earlier this week and saw their greens fee has gone up to $110. Kind of raised my eyebrows a bit.

10% hike isn't too bad if you think about it like that, especially since they haven't raised it in a couple years. But that rate is purely for the experience of playing inside the race track. It is way out of line with the price point for the area. And while I like the course, if you take the track out of it, it's not a $100 course. The extra $30-40 you're paying above the peak rate at Prairie View or Purgatory or The Fort is purely for the location.

Some of us are talking about going to the Indy Golf Expo in the morning on Friday 1/19. Anyone else going? We can have a mini-WRX meetup there if so.

10% hike isn't too bad if you think about it like that, especially since they haven't raised it in a couple years. But that rate is purely for the experience of playing inside the race track. It is way out of line with the price point for the area. And while I like the course, if you take the track out of it, it's not a $100 course. The extra $30-40 you're paying above the peak rate at Prairie View or Purgatory or The Fort is purely for the location.

Some of us are talking about going to the Indy Golf Expo in the morning on Friday 1/19. Anyone else going? We can have a mini-WRX meetup there if so.

Way, way out of line for the area. I remember when the fee hit $100 and it was a "whoa" moment. Anything above that is even more jarring. But they make their big money off the tons of outings they book, it's not as if they're not chasing weekend warriors.

Will be curious to hear how the Golf Expo is. Went a couple years ago and was underwhelmed.

Ive been doing some digging on the tourney. I am glad to say that may 12th seems to be a good date, and I am working on hammering out a good deal for us. I am waiting to hear back from a few courses

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig