What's for Christmas?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A trip to Disney and a round of golf at the Magnolia Course on the 30th...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

My daughter is going to go with her coach to get fitted this Sunday for her first set of non junior clubs. After that we'll see what that is going to cost us. No idea what they are going to recommend yet but she is excited.

How old is your daughter? Going to be doing the same for my soon to be 13 year old as he has grown 5 inches this year (now at 5.5 with size 10.5 feet) and has grown out of his set of Flynn clubs I purchased in January.

She is 12, we bought her set of Flynn clubs about a year and a half ago. She has grown a few inches and she has gotten stronger as well the past several months. They went to get fitted Saturday, I don't even know much about the results yet, I was out of town all weekend. Funny thing is, my wife took her to go play 9 on Sunday and she hit her first hole in one, 122 yards with an 8 iron. I told her if you want new clubs you might want to lay off on the hole in ones.

Congrats to your daughter on her hole in one - and that is pretty long 8 iron! Will be curious to hear what direction you end up going.

We went to our club this weekend and did a quick fitting with our pro / swing coach. He had been against moving my son to adult clubs earlier in the year but after seeing him this weekend he agreed now is the time (although he warned that we may be buying another in 9-12 months). My son really liked the Ping i200s, so I am looking for a set of with regular graphite shafts - so goes the pain...

Well before Thanksgiving weekend we went over to Edwin Watts a few times and let her hit a few lubs. They let us bring home a Mizuno Hot Metal that she hit with on the range and she really liked it. We went back the next weekend and we took the hot metal, a Ping G400, and Taylor Made AP3 (they didn't have the AP2 with the steel shaft at the time) to a nearby range so she could hit on grass. We were supposed to go back the next Sunday so she could hit a couple more and hit the AP2.

Well on the way to eat at a friend's house that Sunday night she saw a pogo stick laying on the ground, took about two jumps on it, fell down and fractured her wrist. It's very slight, not very bad. So all that is on the back burner for now, but if she hits the AP2 like she did the AP3 that's likely what she'll pick out. The AP3 she hit was just so smooth, and she was hitting it further by probably 10 yards than the others (not that that really matters at this point). Watching her hit those they are the ones I liked the most, but I didn't tell her that, I want her to pick out what she wants. It looks like it will be between the APs and Hot Metal. Bad thing about the APs though is the price.

So sorry to hear about the wrist - hope she heals quickly and without complications - kids will be kids. We ended up getting my son a set of Hot Metals (I have been a mizuno iron guy for the last 15 years) so that may have had some influence on his choice. He has played 5-6 rounds with them since and really likes them. Was able to find the right specs on ebay (minus needing to have them bent 1 degree), so wont be too bad if I have to change out in a year or so.

Just bought this.

That's a pretty putter. FYI - the voice caddie sc200 is $50 off on Amazon right now: Amazon Voice Caddie SC200

I have been going back and forth on these and think I am going to go with the Voice Caddie. I have read all the reviews from Mevo, to Ernst, to the SC200. Mevo gives spin rate which is great, but you have to buy metallic dots to put on them. It also gives attack angle but the reviews say it is very inaccurate. Ernst is very hard to read the monitor. For what it does I really like the SC200. I like the fact that it has a game mode where you have to hit targeted distances. I think this is very valuable. Trackman has this mode and it was very valuable in straightening up my kids wedge game. Mevo and Ernst don't have this mode.

Heavy, I am curious to hear your take on this if you try using it hitting into a net. I wouldn't mind getting one for practice at the range, but would really like something that gives me a bit of ball data while hitting indoors or into a net.

Just bought this.

That's a pretty putter. FYI - the voice caddie sc200 is $50 off on Amazon right now: Amazon Voice Caddie SC200

I have been going back and forth on these and think I am going to go with the Voice Caddie. I have read all the reviews from Mevo, to Ernst, to the SC200. Mevo gives spin rate which is great, but you have to buy metallic dots to put on them. It also gives attack angle but the reviews say it is very inaccurate. Ernst is very hard to read the monitor. For what it does I really like the SC200. I like the fact that it has a game mode where you have to hit targeted distances. I think this is very valuable. Trackman has this mode and it was very valuable in straightening up my kids wedge game. Mevo and Ernst don't have this mode.

Heavy, I am curious to hear your take on this if you try using it hitting into a net. I wouldn't mind getting one for practice at the range, but would really like something that gives me a bit of ball data while hitting indoors or into a net.

Couldn't tell you. We live on a course in Florida. We can hit on the range or somewhere on the course 24/7 365 days a year.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I put MG golf gloves on my list. I've never tried them; I hope they're good.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

• 1 month later...

This weekend only RockBottom Golf 20% off with free one day air freight and 1 item. Just got the Voice Caddie SC200 for $230.00. Great deal with the 20% off.

How is the SC200 working? Accurate? Worth the buy?

I like it. It is accurate enough. Would rather have the Mevo, but with the release of the 2nd edition right around the corner I would rather wait.

Here is what we use the SC200 for....

He uses it to play a course on the range that he is preparing a tournament for. We know already the distances in advance and what the course looks like because he always plays a practice round. So we turn it on and measure tee shot, subtract from the distance of the hole and then play the approach.

I like the game mode where you can measure your shots with wedges. Problem here is that I find the higher the loft the club the harder it is for the device to pick up the ball.

The bad part is you have to use range balls while doing it and they stink for accuracy...

It is worth the buy, but I wouldn't rush out to buy one just to buy one. It is good to let you know when real increases are happening in swing speed and ball speed. Really shows them that they are longer and more accurate when they are efficient in the swing. Swinging as hard as they can doesn't mean the ball goes further.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 9 months later...

Picked up a new TM bag for the boy for this Christmas and might get him some custom balls as well. I don't think he needs anything else golf related but we'll see what Black Friday deals come around.

B15839_zoom_D.jpg

Great bag. Got my daughter the white version when her Cally legs broke earlier this year.

We are giving shoes.

A new set of irons, once again..... with stiff shafts now

The boy grew 5 inches and has added 14 mph of club head speed. Guess the investment in a TPI certified trainer and speed sticks is coming back to bite me (along with feeding and watering him ;-)

In all seriousness, some cold weather gear with our club logo and some balls will also be under the tree.

Told my son (14 , freshman ). That if he shot par and / or won one of his high school matches he could get a driving iron. He did both so we just got him fitted last Friday and ordered the PXG 2 iron. I thought his swing speed might not be fast enough yet ( driver 95). but he was hitting it about 230 so we ordered it.

I am looking for a odyssey blade style putter for my boy I have one of the old Dual Force 550 putters I am going to restore it. I also got him this putter cover for it but i am seeing what is out here on golfwrx as well. also maybe some new iron shafts and winn grips to match his driver and 3 wood. and of course the usual tees and balls

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

10 yr old son, first non uskids driver, purchased a Cobra F7 Jr Driver. Great thanks to everyone on this Jr Forum as I did not even know they made a Jr Driver and it sounds like many people have given it good reviews. I play the Cobra LTD model so I am already a fan of Cobra. Can't wait to see him hit it.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

10 yr old son, first non uskids driver, purchased a Cobra F7 Jr Driver. Great thanks to everyone on this Jr Forum as I did not even know they made a Jr Driver and it sounds like many people have given it good reviews. I play the Cobra LTD model so I am already a fan of Cobra. Can't wait to see him hit it.

He will love it my son has 2 models before that he has the Fly Z driver and he loves it also has a hard to find junior cobra amp cell jr 3 wood.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have recommendations for good sunglasses for a junior 8YO? Trying to find youth (junior) sunglasses seems harder than it should be. Looking for something with brown or grey lenses. Seems like sport sunglasses from baseball may be an option also instead of just "golf specific" sunglasses.....example would be Skylon Ace XV JR which they sell under baseball and golf categories.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.