Masters tips?

wmblake2000

I saw the post re Masters chairs and started to post there but didn’t want to derail op’s question.

I’m going Monday practice round. Yahoo! I am totally excited - wife and I had planned a trip this spring but she was gracious and postponed it so I could go.

My primary goal is to see the course and get a good feel for it. Second is just a few things from the store. Ball markers are my thing. I’ll use it and recall. I *hope* it won’t be too crowded.

My plan is to walk it from 1 to 18. Watch a couple of groups play each hole. Eat a green wrapped pimento & cheese sandwich. Take lots of pics. Really get a feel for how they play the course and the course itself.

For me, I had some options. My niece lives in Augusta and she knows some people. (But she and husband laughed at idea of getting me on the course. Not doable. Rats.)

I chose practice round. The tournament looks to be packed with people and I have never found being there to be a good way to watch a tournament.

Anything else that people have found really great? I don’t plan on sitting at any one hole too long - but if you were going to linger somewhere, where would you stop?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the post re Masters chairs and started to post there but didn’t want to derail op’s question.

I’m going Monday practice round. Yahoo! I am totally excited - wife and I had planned a trip this spring but she was gracious and postponed it so I could go.

My primary goal is to see the course and get a good feel for it. Second is just a few things from the store. Ball markers are my thing. I’ll use it and recall. I *hope* it won’t be too crowded.

My plan is to walk it from 1 to 18. Watch a couple of groups play each hole. Eat a green wrapped pimento & cheese sandwich. Take lots of pics. Really get a feel for how they play the course and the course itself.

For me, I had some options. My niece lives in Augusta and she knows some people. (But she and husband laughed at idea of getting me on the course. Not doable. Rats.)

I chose practice round. The tournament looks to be packed with people and I have never found being there to be a good way to watch a tournament.

Anything else that people have found really great? I don’t plan on sitting at any one hole too long - but if you were going to linger somewhere, where would you stop?

1st - it won't feel too crowded - aside from occasionally waiting in line for merch or concessions, but it goes fast. They do 50,000 attendance practice rounds and 40,000 tournament days I believe. Practice days might feel less crowded because everyone is more casual and floating around versus trying to get seated in the high drama areas.

My experience from 2016, attending on Monday:

1. Be there from the time the gates open and until the close, see as much as you can.

2. Go hungry and eat a lot of different things - seriously it's so cheap and there are so many good items! The peach ice cream sandwich is a must. Keep your plastic cups from your drinks - we have a sweet set of them from our last trip.

3. It's a lot of walking, and it's a lot of elevation. It will get tiring unless you're in really good shape - make sure your wife knows this too.

4. Tell your wife to wear comfortable shoes to accommodate all the walking

5. Go sit in the stands behind the driving range for awhile - it's awesome to watch those guys practice and hit shots. Also, it seems to be a who's who area much like under the large oak tree

6. Hit up the merchandise building right before the main gate, get your things and then you don't have to worry about it all day. Depending on what/how much you get, you can swing by the shipping building and pay to have it shipped to your house so you don't have to carry merch around.

7. Chat up some of the volunteers - some of them have great stories and insight. Also, many in certain areas are very good about taking pictures for you

8. Take a ton of pictures!

9. Watching the guys on the putting green by #10 can be fun too, sometimes you over hear some smack talk or friendly talk.

Spots to linger:

Behind #12 tee - you see approaches to 11 green, 12 tee shots, and can sort of see #13 teeing off

#10 tee - I love watching the guys hit the big draws around the corner

Area that is on the hill left of #16 green - can see #6 tee shots, #16 tee shots and guys finishing on #15

Lastly - it can be difficult to find/watch certain players in practice, particularly on Monday. Some guys (mostly older veterans) don't even play Monday, or maybe bounce around playing 9. Some guys won't start on #1 or #10, they'll go out and join a group. And the pairings and times are mostly just guesstimates for a lot of the groups.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hole 12 is a good spot because you can see in to 11 green, all of 12, and tee shots on 13. My favorite practice round memory is from 12 on Wednesday in '09 or '10 - Fuzzy Zoeller was playing and dumped one in the water and got some grief from someone in the crowd, so Fuzzy gestures to the guy to come under the ropes and gives him his club in a "let's see what you can do, big stick" manner. The guy stuck it to about 15 feet and everyone went nuts.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

Buy merchandise first and leave the bag there to collect it at the end. Walk all the course from 18 to 1 to see more players, be sure to see every hole. Enjoy! It's an incredible place.

Definitely. If you're there and it rains, they close the stands immediately and you're SOL

Mizuno JPX EZ @ 10.5 - Motore F1 S
M1 15* - Kuro Kage X
XR Pro 18* Hybrid - NVS 85X
MP-32 4-PW - S300
XFT 52-56-60
Mizuno Bettinardi BC5
K-Sig's baby!

Buy chairs and shop your big stuff right away. If you can park close to the entrance dont drop your bag off, just take it back to your car. Saves you a tone of time later on, I did this last year and it was wayyyy better! Just remember you can only go through the gate 3 times. Bring a camera, I have so many cool pics and it was just awesome. Take your time and soak it up, it is really an amazing place. If you want to get some cool close pics find the choke points and stay there for a bit. Some on 13 and 14.

Get ready to spend way way way more money in the gift shops then you expected!!!!!!!!!! I went my first year and though I am just going to get a couple things. $978.12 later and I was like woah..... and that was stuff just for me. Another $300+ was for other people. It all was worth every penny.

Buy chairs and shop your big stuff right away. If you can park close to the entrance dont drop your bag off, just take it back to your car. Saves you a tone of time later on, I did this last year and it was wayyyy better! Just remember you can only go through the gate 3 times. Bring a camera, I have so many cool pics and it was just awesome. Take your time and soak it up, it is really an amazing place. If you want to get some cool close pics find the choke points and stay there for a bit. Some on 13 and 14.

Get ready to spend way way way more money in the gift shops then you expected!!!!!!!!!! I went my first year and though I am just going to get a couple things. $978.12 later and I was like woah..... and that was stuff just for me. Another $300+ was for other people. It all was worth every penny.

I can confirm this - as cheap as the food and beverage is, the merchandise can put a hurt on the bank account!

Also - while I agree on putting stuff in the for some, when you live far away (flying home for example) it's just easier to check your merch in and then stop at the tent and take advantage of the shipping center there. Sure, it took a little while to get through that line because that's what most people do.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

1st - it won't feel too crowded - aside from occasionally waiting in line for merch or concessions, but it goes fast. They do 50,000 attendance practice rounds and 40,000 tournament days I believe. Practice days might feel less crowded because everyone is more casual and floating around versus trying to get seated in the high drama areas.

My experience from 2015, attending on Monday:

1. Be there from the time the gates open and until the close, see as much as you can.

2. Go hungry and eat a lot of different things - seriously it's so cheap and there are so many good items! The peach ice cream sandwich is a must. Keep your plastic cups from your drinks - we have a sweet set of them from our last trip.

3. It's a lot of walking, and it's a lot of elevation. It will get tiring unless you're in really good shape - make sure your wife knows this too.

5. Go sit in the stands behind the driving range for awhile - it's awesome to watch those guys practice and hit shots. Also, it seems to be a who's who area much like under the large oak tree

6. Hit up the merchandise building right before the main gate, get your things and then you don't have to worry about it all day. Depending on what/how much you get, you can swing by the shipping building and pay to have it shipped to your house so you don't have to carry merch around.

7. Chat up some of the volunteers - some of them have great stories and insight. Also, many in certain areas are very good about taking pictures for you

9. Watching the guys on the putting green by #10 can be fun too, sometimes you over hear some smack talk or friendly talk.

Spots to linger:

Behind #12 tee - you see approaches to 11 green, 12 tee shots, and can sort of see #13 teeing off

Area that is on the hill left of #16 green - can see #6 tee shots, #16 tee shots and guys finishing on #15

Lastly - it can be difficult to find/watch certain players in practice, particularly on Monday. Some guys (mostly older veterans) don't even play Monday, or maybe bounce around playing 9. Some guys won't start on #1 or #10, they'll go out and join a group. And the pairings and times are mostly just guesstimates for a lot of the groups.

Fabulous input! Thx

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Hole 12 is a good spot because you can see in to 11 green, all of 12, and tee shots on 13. My favorite practice round memory is from 12 on Wednesday in '09 or '10 - Fuzzy Zoeller was playing and dumped one in the water and got some grief from someone in the crowd, so Fuzzy gestures to the guy to come under the ropes and gives him his club in a "let's see what you can do, big stick" manner. The guy stuck it to about 15 feet and everyone went nuts.

Great story!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Buy merchandise first and leave the bag there to collect it at the end. Walk all the course from 18 to 1 to see more players, be sure to see every hole. Enjoy! It's an incredible place.

I was thinking starting at 1 but there is a logic to seeing a course backwards. Is it conceivable to walk it both ways? I typically walk on pretty hilly courses but am pretty tired at the end.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

My experience from 2015, attending on Monday:

Spots to linger:

Fabulous input! Thx

Your welcome - forgot one other item! Spend some time by #16 where you can see the pond and watch the guys try to skip balls off the pond and onto the green. It's a crowd favorite and I think a lot of the players really get a kick out of it too!

Wow guys already input has exceeded my expectations. Many thx.

Ok time to learn some ‘no rain’ chant

YES! I was blessed to have gone once already, so it won't absolutely gut me if it rains this year but I'll still be very disappointed. I'm mostly hoping it's great weather because the couple we're going with has never been before and I want them to have a great experience.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

What kinds of msde did you buy that you really liked?

We bought a ton of stuff - some apparel, hats, ball markers, some stuff for the kids, 2 chairs, sunscreen/chapstick (because we forgot) lanyards for the tickets.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I was thinking starting at 1 but there is a logic to seeing a course backwards. Is it conceivable to walk it both ways? I typically walk on pretty hilly courses but am pretty tired at the end.

You'll see more players/groups going backward, as otherwise you'll more or less be keeping up with the group(s) going in order. Make no mistake, you'll be tired. It'll be more like walking two rounds minus carrying/pushing your bag unless you truly just walk each hole and sit awhile at some stops. But you'll be walking to and from restrooms, concessions, etc. in addition to just the holes. On that note, there is a surprising number of restroom and concession facilities throughout the course, they're cleverly hidden from television view but you can get glimpses of them zooming in on Google Maps. Also, grab a course map right when you get in.

The layout of the course really makes it easy to go back and forth between a number of holes without having to go in order. Many of the holes have 1 (some have 2) fairway crossings.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Not much to add, maybe just reinforce.

Walking the course a must. Get your picture taken! It's free and they will give you a card to access and download your photo. The line moves quickly even if it looks long. We started our walking on the back nine. Lots of players get their practice rounds in early so check who is out there when you arrive, they could already be well out on the course. We ate plenty of pimento cheese sandwiches all day, lol. We spent our twilight hours one evening with "takeout" from the concession stand sitting at the driving range, it was really cool. The first evening was merchandise. The area and stands near the 12th tee are great. We walked around 16 green to what would be the right side of the pond looking from the tee box - great views from the hill/area over there of the guys skipping shots across the pond. I didn't know the merchandise building was off limits if the course closes for weather, that surprises me, but we had two very nice days and did our merchandise shopping late in the day on the first day - seemed incredibly crowded but we got in and out no problem and the checkout lines move with lightning speed. Personal choice - but if there is no risk of not getting in, we preferred to get after it and get out there both days we were there and not waste time trying to shop in a hurry first thing so we could get out on the course (also focused our shopping a little better!).

It will be great!

1. Get in as good of walking shape as you can between now and April if you're not already.

2. Walk the course backwards starting at 18 green. That was you always have the players coming towards you.

3. The bleachers at 15 green are a great place to sit and take a break for a couple of hours.

4. Try the pimento cheese, egg salad and BBQ sandwiches. All are great.

5. Enjoy!

Ping G425 LST 9*
Ping G400 3W

Ping G425 Max 7W
Ping G410 4H, 5H, 6H
Ping G425 7H

Ping G410 8-U

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54*

Ping G410 L
SC Special Select NP2 35”

Ugh I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. It still hurts too much.

I won Wednesday practice round tickets last year and spent a total of 40 min on the course due to the rain out.

My tip for you, is pray it doesn't rain.

I can confirm that they quickly close the merchandise tents. My souvenir from the Masters is 1) A plastic cup that my beer came in and 2) a rock from the parking lot (I wasn't leaving empty handed).

Tip: Don't bring your phone. You aren't getting it in.

I believe if you're lucky and they find it on you at the gate they'll let you return to your vehicle to drop it off or they may confiscate it. Get caught with one on the course and you'll be escorted away, ticket invalidated and probably black listed.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

What kinds of msde did you buy that you really liked?

Chairs (but we needed them for the par 3) - still, I love to set mine out on the deck!

A couple of divot repair tools and some ball markers (gave away a bunch to friends when I got home), a nice cap, a flag and a nice coffee mug.

Everything was very reasonably priced! And didn't go overboard as you can see. Could have easily done a lot more but didn't need any more golf shirts, etc.

The stuff I enjoy looking at the most are the course pamphlets/spectator guides for the tournament we purchased and three days' worth of Augusta Chronicles - loved reading the newsprint Masters edition stuff in the real newspaper that week. I saved one of the pimento cheese wrappers and the merchandise bags as well and made a point every time I ordered an iced tea or Coke to save the cool plastic cups until I got to the amount I wanted to take home.

Can you carry a backpack?

This is taken from the prohibited items list on masters.org:

• Backpacks, Bags and Purses larger than 10” X 10” x 12” (in its natural state)

So if that size or smaller, then yes.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks. I'll be going to my first Masters, Friday's round this year. I'm pretty excited and want to bring home some souvenirs. Will be walking around the entire day and was hoping to be able to carry as much as possible.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I won Wednesday practice round tickets last year and spent a total of 40 min on the course due to the rain out.

I can confirm that they quickly close the merchandise tents. My souvenir from the Masters is 1) A plastic cup that my beer came in and 2) a rock from the parking lot (I wasn't leaving empty handed).

Thanks. I'll be going to my first Masters, Friday's round this year. I'm pretty excited and want to bring home some souvenirs. Will be walking around the entire day and was hoping to be able to carry as much as possible.

Option 1: The bags they give you for your merchandise are pretty big plastic bags, and can hold a lot.

Option 2: They sell Masters themed bags you can buy if you want something a little nicer

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.OJaLReAZv38JtMn4Qax3swHaJ3&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.RfrZmh34HiCvWb-xAa5SagHaGH&pid=15.1&P=0&w=204&h=170

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Literally these are all I have picture wise. I gave the rock to my 4 year old son (he likes collecting rocks with his friends at daycare), I'm sure by now it's lost in all of his other rocks. Either that or I've thrown it away.

https://photos.googl...lFfajRTazR0TXJB

One of the things I like to do is stand at the back of tee boxes when players are hitting especially when the tees are back really close to the ropes. During practice rounds they will sometimes hit several balls off the tee.

Like the par 3 6th. Or hike up the hill to the back of #11 tee box and see what the players see on that tee shot. Pretty intimidating. But the best one is to stand at the back of 18 tee. You won't believe how narrow it looks.

1. Make sure you head over the practice area at some point. It is really a sight to behold.

2. Get a picture/print from the merchandise tent that says 2018 Masters. Go get it framed when you arrive home. My buddy did this the last time I went and its WAY better than any crappy $80 shirt we bought.

3. Keep your drink cups and bring them home. You will be glad you did it later.

4. Take the cross walk on 15 near the layup area. You get a great view/feel for how hard that wedge shot really is. Also a good spot for a picture.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB