2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

3 wedge 46/52/58

FirePro

Played a similar setup for a long time. It works great for me. Just moved to a new setup (46-54-60) but it functions the same as 46-52-58.

46-54 thats quite the gap, I assume you are quite good at controlling your PW.

I was just thinking that half swings with the 46/52/58 would gap well with the full shorts

If your iron set offers a good amount of workability, the PW that comes along with it can be used for a good number of shots like the usual wedge.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M1 10.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 13* - Diamana S+ 70S[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro 14.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams Idea Pro A12 23* - Aldila RIPd VS Proto[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J36 PC (4-PW) - KBS Tour[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage 56TS & 60S- DG S200[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno-Bettinardi BC1[/font][/size]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46-52-60 here and no issues. I don't hit full shots with the lob wedge anyways, so gapping is not a problem from 52-60. From 90-100, I'm not hitting a full lob wedge, I'm hitting a 10 o'clock backswing 52 and it will flight with plenty of trajectory and bite for almost any pin. I find it much easier to control distance with less loft than with a lob wedge in that 80-115 range.

I don't understand how gapping issues can be a problem for some. Anyone that employs a 9 o'clock / 10 o'clock / Full swing method of pitching should have plenty of overlap in distances with a 3 wedge setup that will give you a variety of flight options for any shot. My 52 is my go-to pitching machine, but I have options with the 46 and 60 depending on the shot and conditions.

I don't understand why anyone needs a sand wedge, I mean I can hit my 6 iron nice and soft out of the bunker so why bother, for that matter I can 10' o'clock my 6 iron for 175 so why do I need a 7 iron? a 6 to 8 iron gap should work great... You can't understand why I want more wedges, but I bet you would never think of jumping from 8i to 6 or even 5 in the middle of you're set would you?

It's about options for the scoring clubs, I can understand if someone wants to keep it simple but for a person to say they don't understand why someone would want more options in the scoring part of their set is silly to me. I guarantee you gain more strokes with the wedge than you will with a 200+ yard club. Also you don't take into account different bounce or grind options. My 54 for example is a high bounce full sole grind, it makes it forgiving for chips and pitches, lowers the flight on approach and makes longer fluffy bunker shots easy, my 58 is a low bounce grind..more demanding but much more precise and versatile and gives me higher flight with as much or as little spin as I want to put on it..

Full distances (where the ball will finish with backspin): 58: 95y, 54: 112y, 50: 125y, 46: 135y and sometimes I'll pull the 4i and add a 64 PM grind if I'm playing a track with bad bunkers and tough or steep/elevated green side lies. Front pin 90 yds I can hit a LW the will back up a bit and not worry about going too long... 90 yards back of green I can take something off the 54 and let it release back to the pin taking way short out of play. From 90 yards, I want to get down in 2, which means I want that ball as close to the hole as possible.

Casual play, hell I can do that with only a few clubs and a putter, it's fun to manufacture shots. But for tourneys or competitive play more options = well, more options, and for me (Someone who likes options), that's a good thing.

Love this setup. For "wedge" swings I get 100/80/60 out of the 46/52/58. When I take an easy wedge swing I get 90/70/50. Everything inside 50 is with the 58. Super simple.

Driver: Adams 4G 12*
Wood: Adams Fast 10 18*
Hybrid: Ping Anser 20*
Irons: Wishon 550M 5-PW
Wedges: Scratch 8620 53
*/58*
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

I've been doing that for years. I tried 4 wedges and it doesn't mix with me. Wedge play is my strength and I struggled. Too many options in my opinion. 3 wedges just makes it all simpler.

I prefer this set up also and agree it's simplicity is a benefit over 4 wedges. Like having more options at the top of the bag rather than bottom. if I would ever want to play around with a set up of 4 wedges, I would like to go 46, 52 58 and add a 62. Could be fun to play with a 62 where short game is more challenging. I use 52 and 58 for virtually everything around the green. Years ago a 60 was a confident and performing wedge for me, but had a back yard to be able to constantly fiddle with it and keep a tight feel with it. Would open it up often and confidently go after it. a 62 might provide that shot without opening the blade.

46-52-60 here and no issues. I don't hit full shots with the lob wedge anyways, so gapping is not a problem from 52-60. From 90-100, I'm not hitting a full lob wedge, I'm hitting a 10 o'clock backswing 52 and it will flight with plenty of trajectory and bite for almost any pin. I find it much easier to control distance with less loft than with a lob wedge in that 80-115 range.

I don't understand how gapping issues can be a problem for some. Anyone that employs a 9 o'clock / 10 o'clock / Full swing method of pitching should have plenty of overlap in distances with a 3 wedge setup that will give you a variety of flight options for any shot. My 52 is my go-to pitching machine, but I have options with the 46 and 60 depending on the shot and conditions.

I don't understand why anyone needs a sand wedge, I mean I can hit my 6 iron nice and soft out of the bunker so why bother, for that matter I can 10' o'clock my 6 iron for 175 so why do I need a 7 iron? a 6 to 8 iron gap should work great... You can't understand why I want more wedges, but I bet you would never think of jumping from 8i to 6 or even 5 in the middle of you're set would you?

It's about options for the scoring clubs, I can understand if someone wants to keep it simple but for a person to say they don't understand why someone would want more options in the scoring part of their set is silly to me. I guarantee you gain more strokes with the wedge than you will with a 200+ yard club. Also you don't take into account different bounce or grind options. My 54 for example is a high bounce full sole grind, it makes it forgiving for chips and pitches, lowers the flight on approach and makes longer fluffy bunker shots easy, my 58 is a low bounce grind..more demanding but much more precise and versatile and gives me higher flight with as much or as little spin as I want to put on it..

Full distances (where the ball will finish with backspin): 58: 95y, 54: 112y, 50: 125y, 46: 135y and sometimes I'll pull the 4i and add a 64 PM grind if I'm playing a track with bad bunkers and tough or steep/elevated green side lies. Front pin 90 yds I can hit a LW the will back up a bit and not worry about going too long... 90 yards back of green I can take something off the 54 and let it release back to the pin taking way short out of play. From 90 yards, I want to get down in 2, which means I want that ball as close to the hole as possible.

Casual play, hell I can do that with only a few clubs and a putter, it's fun to manufacture shots. But for tourneys or competitive play more options = well, more options, and for me (Someone who likes options), that's a good thing.

Great response, thanks. All of that makes perfect sense and I appreciate your perspective. As a scratch handicap, you have the skill make those subtleties in wedge play crucial to your game and how you want to play it.

Personally, I'm not taking many full wedge shots and my choice usually is like this: do I have room to let the ball check? Or do I need it to stop in a hurry? That's it, and I can have any shot covered under 100 yards with these 3 options. But I'm a 10HC and don't have the consistent skill and ball striking ability to take use of much more precision than that. From 90y, I'm pulling the 52 and putting it on the pin hoping it will stop quickly. You are on another level there and one day I may too be there.

When it comes to the stronger lofted clubs, I don't 100% agree with your comparison. A 10 o'clock 6 from 175 is not a good way to get the ball close to the hole, you're coming in lower with less spin. I'm not playing that shot unless I'm trying to flight it down a bit in a stiff breeze. Additionally, a 10 o'clock swing is going to be much more difficult to consistently replicate distance the further you get out. Whereas, with a wedge, you can pretty much guarantee a distance within 5 yards with that same 10'oclock swing.

I guess the moral for me is, the higher skilled you are the more important it becomes to have options in the scoring clubs.

45-50-55-60 for me and I use my 55 for almost anything 80 yards in. 60 is mostly bunkers and situations where maybe I am short sided and need some stop

I have the same (i.e., 45-50-55-60) and similarly use the 60 in limited situations.

In my set those clubs are labeled 9 iron, PW, SW, LW.

But I guess they could just as easily be labeled PW, GW, SW, LW and have the same effect.

Great response, thanks. All of that makes perfect sense and I appreciate your perspective. As a scratch handicap, you have the skill make those subtleties in wedge play crucial to your game and how you want to play it.

Personally, I'm not taking many full wedge shots and my choice usually is like this: do I have room to let the ball check? Or do I need it to stop in a hurry? That's it, and I can have any shot covered under 100 yards with these 3 options. But I'm a 10HC and don't have the consistent skill and ball striking ability to take use of much more precision than that. From 90y, I'm pulling the 52 and putting it on the pin hoping it will stop quickly. You are on another level there and one day I may too be there.

When it comes to the stronger lofted clubs, I don't 100% agree with your comparison. A 10 o'clock 6 from 175 is not a good way to get the ball close to the hole, you're coming in lower with less spin. I'm not playing that shot unless I'm trying to flight it down a bit in a stiff breeze. Additionally, a 10 o'clock swing is going to be much more difficult to consistently replicate distance the further you get out. Whereas, with a wedge, you can pretty much guarantee a distance within 5 yards with that same 10'oclock swing.

I guess the moral for me is, the higher skilled you are the more important it becomes to have options in the scoring clubs.

Lowering you're handicap starts in you're mind... The great Ghandi, or was it the Llama... Once said " Be the change in the golf game you seek" A great many have become that which they pretended to be... For a long time I pretended to be a good golfer, after years of pretending, I can sometimes now be that...

When in doubt pick up old cheap wedges and mess around with them, bend them, lead tape them, grind them... History is full of great things that came out of accidents... Like the guys who invented rubber... I'm pretty sure they were trying to cook meth... And now one of them has a blimp named after him..

I tried it, but im more comfortable with 46,50,54,58... distance gapping wasnt as much a problem as was lack a of pitching and chipping options.. the more lofts do help with distance gapping too and spin control but too many times with 52,58 i wish i had a 54 or 56 for medium length chips or pitches with some green to cover.

This is spot on and I have found the same true for me. I have played 46, 52, 58 because being an older guys I need options in the long end of the bag because I'm hitting a lot fairway woods and hybrids. In the end the versatility around the greens was more important. I now have a bigger gap between hybrid and 5 iron and deal better with that compromise. As an aside with the modern lofts and hybrid thing if the legal limit went to 15 I could cover all my gaps but I think there is no chance of that happening.

Played 46, 52, 58 for a few years with no real issues...or so I thought. This year I changed to 46, 50, 54, 58 and my wedge game has been transformed. Firstly, I don’t ever feel the need to hit a wedge anything more than 80% and have gained more control. Secondly, I feel like I have more options rather than trying to ‘conjure’ a shot which I had to with just the two main wedge set up. Thirdly, I have added more bounce which I always felt uncomfortable with before. My 54 has 14* of bounce and it has been great on all types of turf from lush parkland to tight links...my new go to club around the green. Quality of Wilson Staff PMP wedges may have something to do with it as well.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Its important to know your distances w/ 3 wedges.

You should know your exact yardages for PW/52/58 at the half/three quarter/full swing. You will probably find you cover from 125 to 40 yards w/ one of these swings or a very close version of one.

For example my half 58 was 40, three quarter 60 and full 90ish

my half 52 was 50, three quarter 80ish and full 110

my half wedge was 60, three quarter 100 and full 120ish

Knowing these yardages I know I have a 40, 50, 60, 80ish, 90ish, 100, 110 and 120ish

From here I could 'feel' yardages and pin positions out. I could hit a full 58 90ish yards with loft to a tough pin or I could hit a soft three quarter wedge 90ish yards to an open pin.

So you can make it work with 3 wedges. Just need to know distances and practice some of those inbetweeners. I currently carry PW/54/58 low bounce wedges.

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

45,50,54,58 for a while now.

I could easily go 45,50,56.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Played 46-50-54-58 last year and 46-52-58 this year. Only a couple of times did I find myself in a position wishing I had a 50 or 54 for this shot. However I found myself needing the 2 hybrid a lot more whic I replaced a wedge with. So for me it balanced out and plus 6* of separation just has a nice ring to it....

One set of mine, I am going 45, 48, 52, 58 as an experiment.

It is Mizuno JPX 800 pro's 4 - PW and I had a MP 67 PW lying around. So I added that as well with some mp t4 wedges in 52 and 58. Works out ok. I was going from the 45 to a 50, 54, 58 combo but got rid of the Callaway MD forged wedges.

My other set is more traditional setup, pw at 47, then 52, 56, 60.

I have and do play both. Depends if I want a different option on top.

I have a system, and as such, I know my numbers with partial swings for each of them. Typically, I have about 7m between options with 46505458. If I go 465258, easy enough. About 10m between known shots. Quarter turn on the 54 is 38m, the 52 is 42m. With the 58, it’s 31m. So in between there is more “feel” involved. It’s just a trade-off.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Currently trying 46, 52, 58 and so far so good. Key for me is hitting three quarters shots with the 46. Have a four wedge setup and so rarely hit the 50 that I went to three wedges and added another hybrid to the bag.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I played PW (46/47/48), 52, 58 for several years without any big issues. Early on this season I struggled mightily and moved to PW, 50, 55, 59. I have to say when I got the distances dialed in, my distance control with the wedges improved a lot as I could stick to a couple of "known" swings with each club to cover the distances as opposed to needing a wider range of adjustments per club.

It is also quite rare that I actually miss one of the clubs I need to leave out of the bag because of the extra wedge. That club is usually the driver (on a tight course), 3w, 5w or 4 iron. The 58 used to be my workhorse but now it seems like the 55 is carrying a bulk of the load.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

That’s the same setup I use. I’ve used it for about two full seasons so far and since the change it has worked the best for me. Depending on the time of the year and how soft the course is is what depicts which wedge to use around the greens. It also allows me to carry and extra club for longer distances which is nice because thats where most of us need an extra club anyway. I don’t hit tour distance with anything so I don’t need a lot of wedges to choose from or to learn different swings and distances with.

I play a 47, 52, 57 and my gapping is fine. It takes a little bit of extra touch occasionally but it’s rarely a factor in scoring. I enjoy having an spare wood/hybrid/utility I can run to when I’m on a tight course or not hitting driver well. Currently I have a 2 hybrid and I hit it about as often as I hit my 50 when I had 4 wedges, which is rarely so it’s kind of a wash.

Though it is nice to no longer have a 40-ish yard gap between 3 wood and 3i.

My wedges are PW=47, SW=52 and LW=58. PW at 47 is the strongest loft I ever had. Historically 48, 54 and 60.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I hate my 50* gap wedge, so played 45/54/58 most of the summer no big deal. Lots of 75% shots with the PW. Cant hit a 60 as well as the 58, I'm sure it's all confidence.

Then I found a blade Scratch at 47*, and it actually fit in precisely where my 50* was supposed to be! So now I have 45/47/54/58.

Annnnd, I just bought matching Scratches to go with that 47. So about to be i200 45, Scratch 47/53/58. Sounds sexy!

(Prediction: by April there will be either Ping 50/54/58 or a Scratch 47/53/58 on the BST.)

After playing 50 54 58 for a long time, I'm giving it a try right now. As a Vokey player, one thing that has always stopped me frokm going 52-58 was the fact that the 52* Vokeys have the F grind, which didn't seem versatile enough. So I just picked up a nice SM4 TVD 52M ($39, shipped) to play along with my SM5 58M. So far I am really liking it. I'm finding that it is a better club than the 50 or 54 for pitching, because it checks just a bit less than the 54 on low pitches, which has improved my distance control on these shots. The 50 never checked enough. With the M grind, it's easy enough to open it a bit to gain some loft when needed.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I tried to liked it. I tried for a full season. But there was too much of a gap between my pw (46) and my 52. I dont pratice so i cant rely on partial shot. I bought a 48 wedge and bent it to 49, bent the 52 to 53 so now it is 46-49-53-58.

Never been more happy with gapping and option atound the green.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag