How 'bout the Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845s?

I love the 845s, I have probably bought 7 or 8 sets of them over the past 20 years. I currently have a set of the polished 845s in my bag.

One of the most iconic game improvement irons ever designed along with the Ping Eye 2 but they have the look of a classic iron. My only knock about the 845s was I wished they made a Reduced Offset model..

https://www.thehacke...our-845s-irons/

I thought they did make a reduced offset version. I know they did in the 855's

I think the Reduced Offset version were the newer 845 Oversize, in the 90s, as well as the V-31 EVO sets later.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I love the 845s, I have probably bought 7 or 8 sets of them over the past 20 years. I currently have a set of the polished 845s in my bag.

One of the most iconic game improvement irons ever designed along with the Ping Eye 2 but they have the look of a classic iron. My only knock about the 845s was I wished they made a Reduced Offset model..

https://www.thehacke...our-845s-irons/

I thought they did make a reduced offset version. I know they did in the 855's

I think the Reduced Offset version were the newer 845 Oversize, in the 90s, as well as the V-31 EVO sets later.

I read somewhere, that the 855's had a reduced offset model....designated by a black "circle logo thing" in the center of the cavity. The standard offset were yellow.

Not sure how readily available they were

• 1 month later...

Hello

A bit late to the party, I have a set of Ping Eye2 in BeCu and really like the look of the BeCu but as much as I like the look of the BeCu I dislike the offset. I found a set of T.A. 845BC and would like to know if the offset in these are significantly less than the Ping Eye2s and also if these are like the 845s, just another material?

Thanks.

Hello

A bit late to the party, I have a set of Ping Eye2 in BeCu and really like the look of the BeCu but as much as I like the look of the BeCu I dislike the offset. I found a set of T.A. 845BC and would like to know if the offset in these are significantly less than the Ping Eye2s and also if these are like the 845s, just another material?

Thanks.

5-3 irons have a good bit off offset, but not as noticeable as the PINGs. The 845s irons are still a quality, relevant set of irons.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, nothing vintage hits a ball like the Ping Eye 2 irons (steel over BeCu IMO, and original V-grooves over U-grooves). I think people are generally afraid of the look of the Ping Eye 2 PW and SW not because of the offset, but because of the lofts--the PW is 50.5 and the SW is 57.5. These lofts are so huge that in my BeCu set I use a Ping Eye2+ SW as a gap wedge @ 53 degrees.

By contrast, the TA 845s PW is 47 and SW is 55. Particularly in the mid-irons and long-irons, I think the Eye2s rock the TA 845s. By they were kings in their day, and plenty still play them.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

IMO, nothing vintage hits a ball like the Ping Eye 2 irons (steel over BeCu IMO, and original V-grooves over U-grooves). I think people are generally afraid of the look of the Ping Eye 2 PW and SW not because of the offset, but because of the lofts--the PW is 50.5 and the SW is 57.5. These lofts are so huge that in my BeCu set I use a Ping Eye2+ SW as a gap wedge @ 53 degrees.

By contrast, the TA 845s PW is 47 and SW is 55. Particularly in the mid-irons and long-irons, I think the Eye2s rock the TA 845s. By they were kings in their day, and plenty still play them.

The original 845's and then the 855's both had 48* PW and a 56* Sw. They also both had a 52* "W2"... I think it was stamped

The original 845's and then the 855's both had 48* PW and a 56* Sw. They also both had a 52* "W2"... I think it was stamped

They had a W4 as well. Better check those lofts on the Silver Scots. http://www.golfclubspec.com/iron_results.php?id=12

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

They had a W4 as well. Better check those lofts on the Silver Scots. http://www.golfclubspec.com/iron_results.php?id=12

Unfortunately they have listed incorrect loft specs. I know for sure the PW is stamped 48* on high toe side of the face....and 5i is 28*.

Correct loft progression is 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60. The 14* iron was called a "heater" otherwise known as a '0' iron

Matter of fact, the 0 iron was produced two ways.

It featured either the numeric zero or a flame emblem on the sole.

I recall an early 845 graphite shafted set that went from 0 to SW, it had a black zero and did not say Heater on the cavity.

Stunning clubs, the originals. Even the tad bigger FS heads were just as hittable.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Unfortunately they have listed incorrect loft specs. I know for sure the PW is stamped 48* on high toe side of the face....and 5i is 28*.

Correct loft progression is 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60. The 14* iron was called a "heater" otherwise known as a '0' iron

Thanks for this. I didn't even think to look at the clubs. Much appreciated.

Do you know anything about the 767 irons?

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

As strange as it might seem, you're both right. The first set of 845s I saw in person, the loft of the PW was 47* (with 27* 5i, and so on). I was surprised when I saw loft specs showing the 28*/48* sets. Having seen some of those sets on ebay, I can only assume they started with 28/48 and switched to 27/47 at some point. <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

As strange as it might seem, you're both right. The first set of 845s I saw in person, the loft of the PW was 47* (with 27* 5i, and so on). I was surprised when I saw loft specs showing the 28*/48* sets. Having seen some of those sets on ebay, I can only assume they started with 28/48 and switched to 27/47 at some point. <shrug>

Wow. Thanks. But odd.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Makes me wonder if the 47, 27 was some sort of copy.....because Tommy Armour's second release in this line years later, the 855's were also 48, 28

Makes me wonder if the 47, 27 was some sort of copy.....because Tommy Armour's second release in this line years later, the 855's were also 48, 28

Or maybe they were a custom model for someone.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Or maybe they were a custom model for someone.

The later release of the 845 line in the late 90's, including the model stamped "oversize", had the loft specs you posted. Maybe that's part of where the confusion is from?

Still playing the 845s I bought earlier this year, really good clubs. I must have bought an early set, stamped Pat. pending. Since I'm a minimalist, I play 5,7,9,SW, along with driver, 3W, and putter. Seven clubs are a full kit for me.

Those clubs play very well. For $50, not including new grips, I don't see how anyone could go wrong.

Play well!

IMHO, the company was done since changed hands and none of the reiterated versions were the same thing.

The pat.pend. and the patented no ferrule versions are the $hit.

Yeah, Tommy Armour, not Armour.... 845s....nothing else.

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

I rank the cast classics as :

1. Eye2/Eye2+

2. Tommy Armour 845s no ferrule

3. distant third the original DCI Blacks.

All LH :

1. Eye2/Eye2+

Eye2+ had stronger lofts. Is that why you like them? I use the Eye2+ SW (83*) as a gap wedge for my Eye2 set ( PW 50.5 and SW 57.5).

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

1. Eye2/Eye2+

Eye2+ had stronger lofts. Is that why you like them? I use the Eye2+ SW (83*) as a gap wedge for my Eye2 set ( PW 50.5 and SW 57.5).

I actually like the Eye2 best except the shaft I have is a little demanding for me.

I have a set with ZZLite everything all original. Head is a tad smaller, squarish, blocky and frames the ball the best. I am not going to dissemble them just because LOL

I currently play Eye2+ 4-W with KBS Tour S and it just happened to be an experiment that works. Lofts are a tad stronger than Eye2 but still weak by today’s standard. However the KBS works well with Eye2+ for me there is no loss of distance (compared to recent stuff) even with them traditional lofts.

Anyways, back to 845s...would also be cool if I score a set that needs reshafting and I can put some newer shafts in them...

All LH :

1. Eye2/Eye2+

I actually like the Eye2 best except the shaft I have is a little demanding for me.

I have a set with ZZLite everything all original. Head is a tad smaller, squarish, blocky and frames the ball the best. I am not going to dissemble them just because LOL

I currently play Eye2+ 4-W with KBS Tour S and it just happened to be an experiment that works. Lofts are a tad stronger than Eye2 but still weak by today's standard. However the KBS works well with Eye2+ for me there is no loss of distance (compared to recent stuff) even with them traditional lofts.

Anyways, back to 845s...would also be cool if I score a set that needs reshafting and I can put some newer shafts in them...

The Eye2+ irons have weird lofts. The PW is 48.5. The LW is 58. Meanwhile, the AP1 PW is 43. I'm going a bit nutz trying to even all this out.

Right now (and for the foreseeable future) I'm playing either: Hogan Apex Edge irons (very high flight with graphite), Mizuno MP53 (lower flight with ProjectX steel), and Ping Eye 2 square grooves (steel, but I also have BeCu) with ZZ Lites. Love them all. If I was playing for money, it is the Hogans for sure.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

• 1 month later...

1. Eye2/Eye2+

I currently play Eye2+ 4-W with KBS Tour S and it just happened to be an experiment that works. Lofts are a tad stronger than Eye2 but still weak by today's standard. However the KBS works well with Eye2+ for me there is no loss of distance (compared to recent stuff) even with them traditional lofts.

If you are still interested in a set of 845s, I have a set 1-iron thru SW with no ferrule. Please PM if interested (I hope this post doesn't violate any rules!). I just want them to go to a good home.

• 1 month later...

Here is my set of Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845s. I also bought a Silver Scott putter to go with it.

That's a nice and extensive set of irons.

So your 14th club is your putter!

Yes, indeed. I got fascinated by the idea of an iron set that was 1-iron through lob wedge, and started looking to see if was possible. I had to buy the 1i separate from the 2-W4, but I was able to do make an Ironman set. The only thing that would make it perfect is a 845s putter, but there is no such club as far as I can tell. I wonder how many other models there are where such a set (1-LW or 1-SW) is possible.

Here is my set of Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845s. I also bought a Silver Scott putter to go with it.

Yes, indeed. I got fascinated by the idea of an iron set that was 1-iron through lob wedge, and started looking to see if was possible. I had to buy the 1i separate from the 2-W4, but I was able to do make an Ironman set. The only thing that would make it perfect is a 845s putter, but there is no such club as far as I can tell. I wonder how many other models there are where such a set (1-LW or 1-SW) is possible.

The original DCis, both black and gold, as well as the 962 and the Oversize, were available 1-9, PW, GW, SW and LW.

Having owned them all (multiple times ;) ) I personally liked the original DCI blacks better than the 845s. But, to each his own. Both the DCIs and the 845s are excellent clubs designed by the same man, John Hoeflich. Hoeflich also designed the 300 series for TaylorMade, and one can certainly see the similarities. I actually played my DCIs quite a lot this year.

Once you determine how far each iron goes, you won't lose a single thing playing them over anything offered today.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

The original DCis, both black and gold, as well as the 962 and the Oversize, were available 1-9, PW, GW, SW and LW.

Having owned them all (multiple times ;) ) I personally liked the original DCI blacks better than the 845s. But, to each his own. Both the DCIs and the 845s are excellent clubs designed by the same man, John Hoeflich. Hoeflich also designed the 300 series for TaylorMade, and one can certainly see the similarities. I actually played my DCIs quite a lot this year.

Once you determine how far each iron goes, you won't lose a single thing playing them over anything offered today.

One of my regular playing partners acquired a set of DCI 962's this past summer and played them exclusively since. He went from a SGI set with hybrids to the Titleists and didn't miss a beat, in fact his iron play improved, particularly hitting long irons off the tee!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa