PXG - It's About Time to give them a try

tigerfan23

I've tried pretty much every club ever but pretty much always play AP2..

I hit the PXG during a fitting and they Felt Unreal but the Cost was obviously a factor but I won a couple of fantasy football leagues so I have a Few G towards clubs.

0311 Standard - 4-Gap 54 and 60 PXG Wedges

Stock Loft and Lie are listed online but what are the stock Lengths for the Irons if ordered at standard Length?

Thinking Tour Issue S400 across the board....

Let's hear some reviews. How is the launch on them? Higher launching / higher spinning heads??

How is the forgiveness - They felt incredibily forgiving when I hit them.

2024 Bag TBD

I hit the PXG during a fitting and they Felt Unreal but the Cost was obviously a factor but I won a couple of fantasy football leagues so I have a Few G towards clubs.

Stock Loft and Lie are listed online but what are the stock Lengths for the Irons if ordered at standard Length?

Let's hear some reviews. How is the launch on them? Higher launching / higher spinning heads??

Remember to compare the loft/length vs. your gamers. It's easy to come off impressed when the PXG may be jacked compared to your set. I hit the PXG farther, but they were off a degree and 1/2" longer than mine......Hit them too high for my eye, and I'm a high ball hitter....

I tried them and liked them, but like you I couldn't justify the extra dough versus the AP2's I currently have. If you got it now and have tried everything else, go for it. I hit them a little higher than I would have liked, but its all relative to the player. Since you now have the money to spend, I would go and try and get fit into them, because that's a ton to drop on a try-out. And since you aren't a newbie, Iam sure you know to ignore the negative/hater posts that will follow.

Very interested in this topic. PXG is next on my list, i have no dealers in my area. Never seen or hit one, but i'm looking hard on getting a nice used set.

I did hit them and Loved them and couldn't believe how great they felt.

Just checked out the stock lengths and they are similar to AP2 - Some irons are 1/4" longer. Lie angles are perfect (Im 1 deg flat on AP2)

I hate to order a crazy expensive iron with OG DG Shafts but they are the best for me.

Tour Issue DG S400.

Looking for some wedge reviews

2024 Bag TBD

How could you win you Fantasy Football championships already, this is the weekend when titles are decided? I have PXG XF's and love them! I am fortunate enough to be able to afford new clubs every year and this will be the first year in a long time that I do not replace my clubs. Don't misunderstand they are not magical in regards to performance but in my case they feel really good and perform better than anything else I have had. It is also a look I really like.

How could you win you Fantasy Football championships already, this is the weekend when titles are decided? I also have PXG and love them.

2 leagues - one is based on points only and there is nobody in site. The other Im in the Finals having already won a ton of Cash on Weekly and points....

There are a Million ways to play fantasy football. Some leagues are done, some go to Week 17, .....

2024 Bag TBD

I've had my PXG irons about 18 months now and still love them. I wasn't looking to get them when I went for a fitting, and as a Mizuno guy I figured I'd get another set of MP-something. But we tried a number of different irons, and the PXGs just beat everything else on the numbers, especially dispersion and distance lost on a mishit. You asked about forgiveness, and that's a main reason I bought mine. Shots thin or heal or toe shots just didn't lose that much distance compared to anything else I tried. I didn't want to spend that much, but I figured with all the money I spend on golf over a year, if I play these for 4-5 years that incremental cost is trivial.

I'd certainly recommend working with a good fitter. When you're spending that much for irons, trying to guess for yourself and order seems quite risky. With the fitter I was working with, we found different shafts worked best for the different clubs we were trying. I ended up with KBS Tours on my PXG, but had best results with DG300 on AP2 and a Nippon shaft with the Mizunos. So trying to guess which shaft will work best for you based on history or what worked with other clubs might not be best with the PXG.

I hit the PXG higher than my prior clubs (MP-59), and maybe a 1/3 club longer. Didn't find them extra spinny, but during the fitting we worked with the shafts to get optimal spin rates and trajectory. When the clubs were delivered, my fitter also went club by club through the set and tweaked lie and loft to get right distance gaps and performance through the turf. Again, a good reason to not gamble on your own.

One pleasant surprise is that even after 18 months, they don't really show any bag chatter and the grooves are still in great shape. I thought they'd show wear faster, but they are almost like cast club in durability.

I think launch and spin will be more a function of your swing and the shaft than the head.

My PXGs were very forgiving. I had a blended set of 0311s (3-5) and 0311Ts (6-PW) for six months before I got rid of them. The improvement in my iron play was marginal at best and didn't justify a $3,000 expenditure. The main issue as distance control. It's nice to hit one on the screws, but not when you overshoot the green by ten yards, which happened multiple times. My set definitely had some hot spots on the faces.

If you're coming from AP2s, you might want to consider the 0311Ts instead of the 0311s. The cavity of the 0311 3-iron and 4-iron was visible at address and I didn't like that. (I played the 714 AP2s for a hot minute and don't recall that being an issue.)

One more thing: if you do pull the trigger, have someone you trust check the lofts and lies immediately. I ordered my PW one degree weak at 47 and it came just under 45.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

I switched from the 716 AP2 to the 0311T a few months ago.

Here are my fitting results if you're interested. You could argue by looking at the numbers that the AP2 for me better, but the PXG have given me a ball flight that I prefer in a club that looks good and is somewhat forgiving.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1552434-trackman-fitting-results-718-mp18-epic-pro-iblade-pxg/

If your going to spend big money, don’t limit your search to PXG. I’ve had 3 sets if Epon irons, (super high end Japanese)

I was starry eyed over the PXG’s and got fit for the Driver through sand wedge, including 2 putters. I spend a pant load of cash and 3 months later, every PXG club I bought is gone.

I went back to my Epon’s and just had a new set of Epon 705’s built and I’ll tell you they blow the PXG product away.

Keep in mind when shopping PXG, be sure to compare apples to apples.

Not fair to compare them to a Titleist iron, it’s two different price points.

As I said, if you going to pony up big bucks, try all the big buck sticks, you won’t have any buyers remorse that way.

Best of luck

As they say...”Treat Yo Self”,

They're nice clubs. Hit them well. Once the fitter accounted for different lofts and shaft lengths, the verdict was I was hitting them the same as I hit several other heads. They felt fine. Did not find them to feel more amazing than other nice clubs. In long irons I think the RZN filler that Nike used in the VPC felt great too.

I am not crazy about the look. The little screw weights in literally every club they make do not appeal to me. But that is their thing. I think the TM P790 looks better.

Ended up going with Srixon z965 which has a better shape to me. PXG is a top-notch product but I didn't get the fever for them.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Didn't know if you've gone through the thread by member Wardonation in the clubmaking forum titled "why I was stupid buying a second set of PXG". I hope your fitter/builder works out better for you. As far as I know still no resolution to this his complaint even though he had returned the clubs to PXG as they requested.

Pxg, it’s like the Beatles AND Pink Floyd!

I think it’s more like Hamilton something really nice I can’t afford.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I used a set of Titleist 716 AP2 for quite a while. I really loved those ap2. I went through at least 30 sets of irons trying to see if something could beat them. I wasn't unhappy with the ap2, but I enjoyed trying new irons. Well, the ap2 beat every challenger for a long time. They aren't always the longest, or the softest, or the best looking. But, they are forgiving while still looking pretty good. There's a reason the ap2 are so popular on tour.

But, after my first few rounds with my PXG 0311T, I put the ap2 in my backup bag.

The pxg have been more forgiving, better feeling, and longer than my ap2. On top of that, I think they look better as well. I think the most important thing, the thing that won me over, was the forgiveness.

All this being said, you really should try them out for yourself and get fit. There's no perfect iron for all golfers. You could have the exact opposite experience.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Stock lengths - on website at www.pxg.com

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons

scroll down, click the iron model and scroll down - specs appear.

Very forgiving from heel to toe, high launch, but you can fine tune with a shaft. Find a good fitter who offers high quality shafts.

As to wedges, $390-750 for a wedge was even too much for my blood in a 54-60 - save money and demo a wedge that fits you in the higher lofts. I saved money and bought Miura. You'll save enough money to buy a set of Edels Custom Fitted . Can't believe I said that ... saved money by buying Miura. But if you want it and they fit ...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

at pxg prices-how are we supposed to try them? even used they are still 4X overpriced

A used set of 718 AP2's run around 1000 in BTS, I've seen a set of 0311's for 1800-2000. I'd say double for used, but not 4x.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

• 3 weeks later...

I hit them again and decided to stick with Ap2 718. Saved myself a ton of money.

Stuck with clubs.... saved money?

Who are you and what have you done with Kgeorge?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Pxg, it’s like the Beatles AND Pink Floyd!

You about to cross some lines here Jackie boy!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock