2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

An Eight Club Golf Bag

Sean2

Hi-Di-Ho and Happy Holidays!

Next season I am thinking of going with an eight club bag. I like to walk, but 14 clubs is a bit much at my advanced age. lol

I have been using a push cart, but I find it to be a bit of a pain (lugging it around, setting it up, cleaning the wheels and tires after each round, breaking it down, etc).

My last two rounds of this season I played 8 clubs and scored well for me (34 for nine holes and 72 for 18: par 35 and par 70 respectively).

With eight clubs it was certainly light enough for me to carry, and I also noticed I could walk over the green instead of around it :-)

I used driver, 7-wood, 5-hybrid, 7, 9, AW, LW, and putter. Thinking of swapping out the driver for my 3-wood.

Does anyone else do this?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! :hi: :drinks:

I used the exact set-up that you have described for the bulk of my men's league rounds this past season. Those were the clubs that I needed for the nine hole course that we play at. If anything my scoring was a bit better I think than what I was doing typically before. You can chalk that up to developing a bit better feel for hitting shots that are not always full out.

There had been a lot of talk about minimalist set-ups on here over the past couple of years or more, but the merits didn't really become apparent to me until I began to fool around with vintage clubs, playing a half set that consisted of 2W, 4W, 3, 5, 7, 9 irons, SW and putter because that was basically what I had to work with. You learn to play the course a bit differently to avoid odd yardages and then the scores would come around to be the same as using a full set.

As you have said, the best aspect of this is the light weight carry bag with the half set. I use a Callaway Hyper Lite 3.0. In many ways, carrying a Sunday type bag is easier than pushing around a cart bag with a full set on a trolley, especially if you're walking a hilly course. It has become my preferred way to play once I'm familiar with a course.

Our course is nine holes as well, and I play the bulk of my golf on it. I have the Sun Mountain 2.5, and it's very light.

I have been reading that many of the folks that have a minimalist bag discover that they score as well, or better, than with a full bag. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but everything about golf is. lol

I'm not so sure that it's counter-intuitive. First of all, you eliminate anything you don't hit well and have absolute confidence in -- strong fairways, long irons, high lofted wedges; the sort of thing that can often add strokes when things go awry. As a mid-capper, I don't make a lot of GIR anyway, so does it really matter if you are a bit short or a bit long because you don't have a full swing in. You still have to get it up and down just the same as being hole high, but left or right. Often times playing short is the lesser of evils when it comes to a miss, in fact I started to play a long par three deliberately short to have the slope of the green working for me rather than against me. I picked that little ditty up from reading about Billy Casper playing a tough par three short during one of his major victories.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

^^^^

Those are some good points you make!

That believe it was at Winged Foot. I think it was the par three 3rd hole and Casper laid up all four days. Got up and down all four days too. It was apparently a hole if you missed long, left, or right, you would be happy to make a bogey. He ended up winning that US Open. Very underrated player.

I'm going to enter some hickory events this year. Bag will probably have a play club that doubles as a tee and fairway club, a mid iron, a mashie, mashie niblick, niblick and putter. 6 clubs!

That sounds really good! I didn't even know about the hickory events until I jointed this site. I think it's great that there are folks out there still playing the older gear.

Next season I am thinking of going with an eight club bag. I like to walk, but 14 clubs is a bit much at my advanced age. lol

I have been using a push cart, but I find it to be a bit of a pain (lugging it around, setting it up, cleaning the wheels and tires after each round, breaking it down, etc).

My last two rounds of this season I played 8 clubs and scored well for me (34 for nine holes and 72 for 18: par 35 and par 70 respectively).

With eight clubs it was certainly light enough for me to carry, and I also noticed I could walk over the green instead of around it :-)

I used driver, 7-wood, 5-hybrid, 7, 9, AW, LW, and putter. Thinking of swapping out the driver for my 3-wood.

I play with pretty much the same bag, but add either a 4-wood or a 5-wood.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I play with pretty much the same bag, but add either a 4-wood or a 5-wood.

Yes, I may end up switching out a club for another as I get used to it and see what works best.

Across the pond here in the UK we get pretty wet winters (though in south of England where I am, not much snow thankfully!) - One of the courses I play asks those who can carry to do so (to help keep wear to the course to a minimum) - I have a dodgy back, so can't carry a full set (as I prefer to do) so my bag for those rounds is: Driver / 5w or 19hy / 5i / 7i / 9i / 54* / Putter - It is a challenge to play the different shots with the "wrong" club, but it's fun & I don't take winter golf too seriously...

Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

Across the pond here in the UK we get pretty wet winters (though in south of England where I am, not much snow thankfully!) - One of the courses I play asks those who can carry to do so (to help keep wear to the course to a minimum) - I have a dodgy back, so can't carry a full set (as I prefer to do) so my bag for those rounds is: Driver / 5w or 19hy / 5i / 7i / 9i / 54* / Putter - It is a challenge to play the different shots with the "wrong" club, but it's fun & I don't take winter golf too seriously...

Paul

And, you probably learn how to hit some pretty interesting shots too, Paul. :-)

I have rarely played a full set in many years, but for some odd reason I have only ever bought clubs to fit a 14 club figuration. This is the setup I really want, it's 9, not 8 clubs, but it would be my ideal. Maybe next year...

Driver

4 Wood

21* Driving Iron

5 Iron

7 Iron

9 Iron

50* Wedge

60* Wedge

Putter

I have rarely played a full set in many years, but for some odd reason I have only ever bought clubs to fit a 14 club figuration. This is the setup I really want, it's 9, not 8 clubs, but it would be my ideal. Maybe next year...

Driver

4 Wood

21* Driving Iron

5 Iron

7 Iron

9 Iron

50* Wedge

60* Wedge

Putter

Max, I really encourage you to try that next year. I was much the same in that I never played with more than 12 clubs and had considered going the true minimalist route for some time. After carefully studying my distances/gaps, last summer I finally put together my current set-up mostly by ordering only the clubs I wanted along with just a few carry-overs from before. It's been a fun journey.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

Recently snagged this sunday bag and have had a lot of fun playing with a more minimalist set-up.

For longer courses over a full 18 I'll bag both driver and 4 wood; 4, 6, 8 & 10 irons, then sand wedge and a putter. Shorter, tighter courses or just getting out for a quick nine I'll throw the mini driver in the bag instead of driver and fairway. Forcing myself to shape or play half shots depending what irons are in the bag has been a great learning experience so far this winter and I find I'm making better course management decisions when I do have the full quiver with me.

I've played my last two months of golf walking and carrying my golf bag of roughly 12 clubs.

The necessary clubs are

Driver

5 wood

Pitching wedge

60* lob

Putter

So that's five.

The other irons 3-9 don't usually use all of them so I could do 4 6 8 I guess.

Golf clubs and water are always 90% of the weight. My carry bags hardly weight anything.

Did anyone see the guy trying to do 850 rounds for the year while carrying his bag?

Why not just take a cart and staff bag with all 14? Other than the novelty, I'm just not seeing why to even try this?

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Reaching "Level 70" next month & find I favor/use mostly even numbered clubs, so considering reducing to D, 2h, 4h, 6I, 8I, PW, AW, SW & P. Thoughts?

I am also a minimalist, although usually a "9 clubs plus a putter" minimalist.

I like your set-up but, since you asked, i would substitute a 4W for the 2H.

Why? 'Cuz it is an even numbered club and 'cuz i can't hit a 2H!!

Anytime I've done this, I go with something like:

Driver (should go 3w instead, but driver is my favourite club to hit)

5w (when I'm on with the driver, I can get to most par 5's I play with a 5w or hybrid approach anyway)

23* hybrid (versatility)

6i (basically for the gap)

8i (the most comfortable and reliable club in my bag - weapon of choice for mid 150 carries to bump and run shots around the green)

PW (gap)

56* (100 and in)

Putter (something to curse for ruining the good work the 7 other clubs have done)

Apart from this set-up feeling so nice on the aging shoulders, it makes me focus on course management more that just targeting the green.

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

Why not just take a cart and staff bag with all 14? Other than the novelty, I'm just not seeing why to even try this?

Because walking is good for you and it’s the way the game is meant to be played.

I have a Mackenzie ballistic walker that I carry D, 3w, 4/6/8/P, SW, P. Sometimes not the driver. Love it, rarely find I miss the other clubs much. Next time I buy irons I’ll probably order a half set, just enjoy golf more with a minimal setup. I’m never going to be a pro so my enjoyment is really all that matters.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

From a practice standpoint I like taking a variety of clubs to fill gaps in the bag (Like going evens or odds on irons, different woods or no woods, etc) and force myself to play shots than I otherwise might not. To your point again "couldn't you do that just as well with a full set?" answer is that sure I probably could, but half a set makes me think through course management in an entirely different way when I don't carry a club for each yardage. It makes me get creative and develop the shot-making skill set. I've noticed I'm consistently able to shoot better scores now when I do bring the full bag out.

Haven't done it, but I think I'd go,

4 Wood

3 Hybrid

5 Hybrid

7 Iron

9 Iron

52° Wedge

58° Wedge

Putter

I may start doing that to practice. Lighter to carry too.

Just curious. Why no driver?

I played a team match once where we played a full 18 from 6600 yards and could only use 7 clubs, so having each club be able to pull double duty was a huge benefit. I opted for 4 wood instead of my driver. Whatever yardage might have been lost off the tee was recouped by being able to play the 4 wood again from the fairway. It meant that on some of the longer par 5's I wasn't even giving myself a chance to hit in 2, but playing back and taking a better chance at a green in regulation kept me from having huge blow-up holes as well. Just my $0.02.

Did this all summer. I was working away from homelands week, joined a club next to hotel on a five day membership.

I used

3 wood, three hybrid, 5,7,9,SW(54) and putter

Didn’t give it another thought and scored as well or as badly as normal.

If I was to do it again this summer I will go 3w, 4h, 6,8,PW, LW

The bag is the most important thing. All you need is balls, tees, gloves, nutrition.

Once you start with waterproofs and spare jumper etc you are defeating the objective _ maybe on reflection it’s a fai weather thing.

I honestly doubt I’d be able to function if I carried the full bag.

Did this all summer. I was working away from homelands week, joined a club next to hotel on a five day membership.

I used

The bag is the most important thing. All you need is balls, tees, gloves, nutrition.

Once you start with waterproofs and spare jumper etc you are defeating the objective _ maybe on reflection it’s a fai weather thing.

Glad to hear that. I have a very light weight bag as well, which helps. Plus, I don't carry anything in the bag I don't absolutely need.

I carried periodically last year for men's league. These were nine hole rounds on a short course. Typically I had D, 7W, 5H, 8, PW, 52, 58, P as those clubs would cover most of the bases for me. It was actually easier climbing the hills with 8 on your back than pushing/pulling a full set on a trolley. Scoring always came down to avoiding trouble, followed by short game and putting. If anything I probably shot a stroke less per nine with the short set as I wasn't tempted to try something because I had more options.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I used

Glad to hear that. I have a very light weight bag as well, which helps. Plus, I don't carry anything in the bag I don't absolutely need.

The Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag is light, will carry enough clubs, and will hold a rain jacket if needs be:

https://shop.sunmountain.com/2018-2-Five-Plus-Bag-21328-detail.html

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse