Golf Boards - Have you tried one?

bsmit115

My traveling group recently played at The Club at Savannah Harbor. Beautiful course with some really impressive views. To our surprise, the course had golf boards available for rent. I was skeptical at first, but decided to give it a go, and was really glad I did. It added excitement to the round and was really neat. For reference, I'm 5'5 and the tallest guy in our group rode one as well, and he's 6'5ish.

For those of you that have tried one, what did you think?

TSi3 9.0 Oban Devotion
Titleist TSi2 3 wood - Purple Ice
Titleist TS2 19 hybrid

Titleist TS2 23 hybrid
Titleist AP3 irons 5-PW
Titleist SM8 Wedges 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
Titleist ProV1x #11

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to try them at the 2016 PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando.

Speed ranges from 7 to 14 MPH, and steering is intuitive - (a basic steering column augmented with body lean). It works, and it's fun. Of course, walkers would get a better sense of the day's turf profile, but GB gives you a lot better feel than a riding cart.

Golf Boards deliver several benefits to the 100 or so courses that use them:

• Cost roughly same ($6,500) as a traditional two-person cart, but requires much less maintenance.
  • Vehicle Weight (empty): GB = 125 lbs. // riding cart = 950 lbs.
  • Do much less damage to turf than heavier two-person carts
    • Wide tires disperse weight of already lighter vehicle
    • Less need for secondary cart paths along holes
    • Less restrictive fairway only rules for GB helps speed play

[*]Allow foursomes of skilled riders (not necessarily top golfers) to traverse 18 holes in 2 hours, 15 minutes.

[*]Have been associated with spikes in 9-hole play in late afternoons.

From a business standpoint, non-golfers have found numerous additional uses. Golf Boards also get bought as utility carts for maintenance and logistics workers, and as a more-stable alternative to Segways.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Me and my son played a round on one in Florida this summer. We both loved it. They told us we could drive up next to the greens which made golfing easy. It was slow that day for a two some and the golf boards made the day a blast. We just rode around and cut up. Loved riding the edges of bunkers and side hills. Wish they had one close to us, I will play a course just to ride them now. My son wanted us to get one for home. Only negative for me is the battery life, both were running low with several holes left. We had rode around a lot extra though.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I played a round in Tremblant Quebec (downhill ski area) with one. It is a great idea, maybe not for a course with lots of steep elevation changes!

It was a bit of an adventure going up some of the hills, had to bail our on a couple of them; C of G was way too high. On the flat fairways - tons of fun.

If you are a snow boarding fan, you will love it.

Me and my son played a round on one in Florida this summer. We both loved it. They told us we could drive up next to the greens which made golfing easy. It was slow that day for a two some and the golf boards made the day a blast. We just rode around and cut up. Loved riding the edges of bunkers and side hills. Wish they had one close to us, I will play a course just to ride them now. My son wanted us to get one for home. Only negative for me is the battery life, both were running low with several holes left. We had rode around a lot extra though.

That's what it's all about right? "We just rode around and cut up. Loved riding the edges of bunkers and side hills." Not really playing golf, just cutting up, what a joke and a determent to the game.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

That's what it's all about right? "We just rode around and cut up. Loved riding the edges of bunkers and side hills." Not really playing golf, just cutting up, what a joke and a determent to the game.

Thanks for sharing. Of course your not really on topic, but thanks. My country club looked at them and decided they didn't want them, if you feel the same make sure your country club doesn't get them either.

As for the places that have them I think it's a great way to expand the game. My son doesn't play golf, so I paid around $80 just for him to ride around. I think the course was glad to get the extra $80.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

Yeah! Bah Humbug! I can't stand the thought of having something that might increase the pleasure of the game of golf for someone.

I tried a golfboard for the first time last season. The course is extremely hilly with very long walks between holes. I normally walk most courses, but I would have to think twice on walking that course. The golfboard was a ton of fun. I used to skate and snowboard and it was extremely easy to get used to the board. The golfer in our group that didn't have boardsports experience caught on very quickly and was zipping around the 'practice area' after a few minutes. The battery life was great for us and it made the round even more enjoyable and definitely more memorable. I'd definitely ride a golf board in lieu of a cart anytime. (That being said I will continue to walk whenever feasible. )

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Yeah! Bah Humbug! I can't stand the thought of having something that might increase the pleasure of the game of golf for someone.

I tried a golfboard for the first time last season. The course is extremely hilly with very long walks between holes. I normally walk most courses, but I would have to think twice on walking that course. The golfboard was a ton of fun. I used to skate and snowboard and it was extremely easy to get used to the board. The golfer in our group that didn't have boardsports experience caught on very quickly and was zipping around the 'practice area' after a few minutes. The battery life was great for us and it made the round even more enjoyable and definitely more memorable. I'd definitely ride a golf board in lieu of a cart anytime. (That being said I will continue to walk whenever feasible. )

If I drove my cart randomly around the fairways and generally "cut up" while waiting to hit the marshal would tell me to knock it off at best and warn me that I'd have to go if I continued. Why should it be any different for any means that people use to get around a course? I'm all for making the game more attractive for people and if using a golfboard does it for you then great. But the activity described just sounds destructive to the course and possibly distracting for golfers on adjacent fairways and tees.

A few courses here in Atlanta have tried them. None of them still have them in inventory and I think I know why. To say these things are 'challenging' to use might be the understatement of the year. I was a multi-sport athlete and at 41 years old I'm still in the gym 5-6 days per week. I found them incredibly difficult to use. Now I will say, part of the problem is that courses in Georgia are extremely hilly. If you were on flat surfaces like Florida or the Midwest my opinion may change some.

I spoke to the pro at a course that tried them recently. He said they got a nice bump in rounds because people were eager to try them......ONCE. Very few people tried again. And the maintenance on them was crazy because people were constantly hitting curbs and trees. Hate to sound so negative because I really liked the idea. But there is no way I would pay to try again. I like my cart just fine and its not nearly as much work.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

If I drove my cart randomly around the fairways and generally "cut up" while waiting to hit the marshal would tell me to knock it off at best and warn me that I'd have to go if I continued. Why should it be any different for any means that people use to get around a course? I'm all for making the game more attractive for people and if using a golfboard does it for you then great. But the activity described just sounds destructive to the course and possibly distracting for golfers on adjacent fairways and tees.

I took the term 'cut up' to mean something like carving, like you do on a snowboard. Just the process of turning. I didn't take it to mean actually damaging the turf. It sounds like we have different interpretations of how the golf boards were used in his instance.

Golf boards should have significantly less wear to the turf than a golf cart would, so even if someone was going around in circles i don't see it damaging the turf. I know that I didn't always take the most direct route to my ball because i enjoyed riding the board, and I even rode in circles a few times because it was fun. I never saw any imprints or wear from going in circles. Even with my extracurricular activities we finished in 3.5 hours on a long course. (I just want to make sure that no one thinks i was slowing down pace of play.) That being said i definitely didn't take the golfboard too close to the greens, bunkers, or any other 'delicate' areas. I had pretty good control but nothing where I'd push my luck. The course I played didn't have any adjoining fairways to be a distraction, but I'm aware enough of my surroundings to know the right time to screw around and the wrong time. I'd say that anyone who would be reckless or distracting on a golf board would probably be reckless or distracting in a golf cart as well.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

That's part of the selling point of the golfboards, they don't tear up the course like a golf cart does. This is the reason some courses, like the one I was at, let you ride up to the collar of the greens. The weight of the boards is much less than a golf cart. Plus you only have one passenger instead of two. Maybe you should check out there website and find out the full benefits. The course we were at like many other courses around the country is looking for ways to attract golfers to keep it open. For us, that's what it was. This is not normally a course I play when in that area but I did because of the golf board.

If the course is crazy busy and full of 4 somes we would have probably had a different experience. In our case, we were a 2 some in behind a couple of 4's. Normally we would have been itching to go thru, but with the golf board we just enjoyed our time out.

You can play crazy fast on these. Drive up to the ball then up to the green, can't wait to try it again.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

• 3 weeks later...

i have taken them out a couple of times and they are fun but clearly not widely adopted. I think they do help to speed up play (or at least provide entertainment when the course is backed up). Would I take them out with my buddies if the course we are playing that day offered them-yes. Do I expect my Club will start using them-0% chance.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought one last summer since I mainly golf solo, I have the speed boost model, I love it!

how well does that fit into a car?

I was at a course earlier this year and a person had their golf board on a platform attached to a trailer hitch. It reminded me of the platforms that elderly people use for their Rascals.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

Bought one last summer since I mainly golf solo, I have the speed boost model, I love it!

how well does that fit into a car?

I was at a course earlier this year and a person had their golf board on a platform attached to a trailer hitch. It reminded me of the platforms that elderly people use for their Rascals.

Like what you would put a bike on? interesting

Probably more like one of theses you see people put coolers (and dead deer) on.

https://www.amazon.c...e-bin:491459011

Yeah, it was alot like that.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link