Fitting for Golf Club's

kcap

I need to get my son fitted for golf clubs. As it turns out, he has longer arms which means he needs to choke down on standard US Kids clubs or was starting to stand upright at address. I was hoping to avoid getting him fitted till he was 12-13 (currently 10 about to be 11 in a few months) but whatever.

1. Those that went through fitting sessions for kids, did you search out people who had worked with juniors or just went to commercial place?

2. I assume it would make sense to go to a spot like club champion rather than golf galaxy etc - any thoughts on that.

3. Any experience with fitters in NJ/PA/NY area? -

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son's coach had us go to Cool Clubs for a fitting and there are a couple in NY. I think there might even be a junior discount. They'll go through the entire bag with you and provide you a detailed PDF file with your Trackman results for each shot and a file that shows exactly which clubs you should purchase including length, loft and lie. You will have the opportunity to order directly through them or take that club recommendation file and purchase the clubs yourself wherever you want. Cool Clubs is manufacturer agnostic so they won't push you one club over another... they just want you to get better. In our consultation the Mizuno irons went the furthest but we settled on Titleist because the descent angle was much better and would help my son hold more greens.

Cool Clubs Locations

Just checked our files and they also go through and measure a couple of clubs from your current set to provide you with info on where you're starting from.

Be aware that ordering directly through them can take a while. We ordered the woods and hybrid from them, got the irons from Global Golf and the wedges I ordered from our home course pro who went direct to Titleist.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

We live in Georgia and went to the Golf Doctor in Woodstock Ga. Chad went trough his bag spent an hour with us and told us everything was sized where be needed to be for him. Did not try to upsale anything and helped him a lot with his swing. We will be going back very soon my son has grown several inches since then. But they where so friendly and professional they have our business for as long as my son plays

We live in Georgia and I went to the Golf Doctor in Woodstock Ga. Chad went trough his bag spent an hour with us and told us everything was sized where be needed to be for him. Did not try to upsale anything and helped him a lot with his swing. We will be going back very soon my son has grown several inches since then. But they where so friendly and professional they have our business for as long as my son plays

Chad at the golf doctor is great and I did my own fitting there. My son's coach is a top 10 rated golf coach in the State of GA (and pro fitter himself) but for junior specific fitting he referred us to Georgia Golf Center http://www.georgiagolfcenter.com (specifically Chris Asbell - though Danny is great with juniors too - and they both coach a lot of top juniors in GA). Chris has done club fitting for us since my son was 11 and has done a great job. I think 11 is a good age for a junior with higher than average strength and swing speed. If you want to do some research on club fitting and thoughts on shafts etc. I found this article very helpful: https://thejuniorgolfer.com/best-junior-golf-drivers. Granted this article is mainly a review of various junior drivers but I found that it also easy to understand general fitting info for juniors in this age group (various considerations such as height, swing speed, tempo (more important than I thought), shaft weight, shaft flex, kick point etc. etc.)

For our first junior fitting we took his USKids clubs to compare against other brand name irons and found that they actually compared very well. After trying all the large brand names with numerous different shaft options in each we found that the Ping G's were the best fit (lighter club head I think) and really the only ones that performed any better than his USKids... Note we only did fitting with a 7 iron and I think the consistency across all irons in a set is better in the adult clubs than kids clubs - simply due to quality of materials and manufacturing process. Distance gaps between clubs are far more consistent. I did see that USKids is bringing out a more advanced "TS3" line in 2018 that might be interesting.

We found that the Ping irons last about 2 seasons (with one shaft replacement as swing speed increases) so probably worth the extra cost especially if your junior is needing a new set of USKids every year.

Thanks for the information I have been looking at ping g25 and g30. They seem to be about the same weight as us kids. We will probably be going in 1st Jan to get fitted.

What driver did you end up going with thanks

Ping makes a lighter weight G Series iron head that they do not advertise. Used for women and juniors.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

My son did his first fitting a couple days ago with Cobra Golf.

I chose Cobra primarily due to their wide offering of junior shafts and array of weighted heads. We tested primarily the f7 and f8 with a new KBS graphite shaft that is aimed specifically at juniors. Without any adjustments my son gained 13 yards with the F8 7 iron compared to his US kids UL club. The same went for his 5 iron. I'm sure lofts had a lot to do with the gains, but the ball-flight and turf interaction were far superior using Cobras.

I'll update you guys once I get his irons in. I was really skeptical about going with an adult head at age 7, but the numbers were quite impressive.

Also note that he hit about 10 drivers and gained nothing with the Cobra compared to the M2. FWIW.

I chose Cobra primarily due to their wide offering of junior shafts and array of weighted heads. We tested primarily the f7 and f8 with a new KBS graphite shaft that is aimed specifically at juniors. Without any adjustments my son gained 13 yards with the F8 7 iron compared to his US kids UL club. The same went for his 5 iron. I'm sure lofts had a lot to do with the gains, but the ball-flight and turf interaction were far superior using Cobras.

I'll update you guys once I get his irons in. I was really skeptical about going with an adult head at age 7, but the numbers were quite impressive.

Also note that he hit about 10 drivers and gained nothing with the Cobra compared to the M2. FWIW.

Wow, were the flights on the irons favorable (I'me sure they were if you bought)?

How about the weight difference? My 7YO son is still in UL, but we have a USKG TS 8 iron and a Flynn 8 Iron to test. Both still seem too heavy compared to UL, so I am happily content to stick with the UL for now but he is growing quick and will need a size up soon enough.

Yardage increase is great but what's the landing / descent angle? Too low and he's going to be running balls through every green.

Yardage increase is great but what's the landing / descent angle? Too low and he's going to be running balls through every green.

If the trackman numbers are correct, he won't have any trouble holding greens. On all good shots, f8 peak trajectory was higher than US kids. Couple that with real grooves.

If the trackman numbers are correct, he won't have any trouble holding greens. On all good shots, f8 peak trajectory was higher than US kids. Couple that with real grooves.

That's great to hear! Hope he has a great time with them.

Wow, that's impressive. Might need to check those out next time.

We just went with TS-51 USK clubs. Should be putting those into play next week.

Thanks for the information I have been looking at ping g25 and g30. They seem to be about the same weight as us kids. We will probably be going in 1st Jan to get fitted.

My oldest ended up up playing the junior COBRA bio-cell for a couple of years (until my younger one took it over) - so the 13 year old now plays with the Cleveland CG Black. It's a little known driver as they don't advertise it for kids - but with the Mitsubishi Bassara shaft that it came with (really good shaft) it weighs only 260 grams! - possibly the lightest adult size driver on the market.. For what it's worth the COBRA bio-cell is still a great junior driver and can be purchased with a junior shaft for very little. The others on this list (in addition to the Cleveland and the COBRA's): (https://thejuniorgol...or-golf-drivers) that we've tried and liked are the Callaway V-series (Epic Star I am sure is great but at $700 I don't thinks it's 2X or 3X as good..), and also the new Ping 400 (not in this article but will likely be a great "older" junior driver). We will also definitely try out the new COBRA Junior F8 in the next few weeks!

My oldest ended up up playing the junior COBRA bio-cell for a couple of years (until my younger one took it over) - so the 13 year old now plays with the Cleveland CG Black. It's a little known driver as they don't advertise it for kids - but with the Mitsubishi Bassara shaft that it came with (really good shaft) it weighs only 260 grams! - possibly the lightest adult size driver on the market.. For what it's worth the COBRA bio-cell is still a great junior driver and can be purchased with a junior shaft for very little. The others on this list (in addition to the Cleveland and the COBRA's): (https://thejuniorgol...or-golf-drivers) that we've tried and liked are the Callaway V-series (Epic Star I am sure is great but at $700 I don't thinks it's 2X or 3X as good..), and also the new Ping 400 (not in this article but will likely be a great "older" junior driver). We will also definitely try out the new COBRA Junior F8 in the next few weeks!

Well written article, but I basically disagree with the entire article. 8ish 9ish, depending on size of a kid, they need to be out of US Kids Metal Woods. They just don't perform. In no way will a junior tournament golfer be swinging a Junior Driver from 10-14 years old. Just isn't going to happen.

Well written article, but I basically disagree with the entire article. 8ish 9ish, depending on size of a kid, they need to be out of US Kids Metal Woods. They just don't perform. In no way will a junior tournament golfer be swinging a Junior Driver from 10-14 years old. Just isn't going to happen.

I think they are advocating for juniors to move out of kids drivers from about age 10 and into OEM drivers which are typically an adult driver, possibly 10 grams lighter than the standard, but with shafts fitted for juniors (weight, length, flex etc.). We've found this worked well for us based on extensive testing on trackman by a pro fitter comparing the slightly heavier head adult drivers to the lighter junior specific OEM drivers (like the Cobra) with the same technology etc. In my opinion 8's and 9's should not be playing adult drivers even if fitted with junior shafts and in all the testing I've seen there is very little or no difference in distance or dispersion between the USKids drivers and OEM's at that age. At swing speed of 70 mph you are not going to see much difference. If Cobra or Callaway makes a top of the line driver that has a head that weight 10 grams less than the adult sized head I see no reason why juniors with swing speed of less than 95 mph shouldn't use them. Just my opinion.. I've seen so many juniors over the years swinging driver too large and heavy for them with resulting impact to their swings..

I think they are advocating for juniors to move out of kids drivers from about age 10 and into OEM drivers which are typically an adult driver, possibly 10 grams lighter than the standard, but with shafts fitted for juniors (weight, length, flex etc.). We've found this worked well for us based on extensive testing on trackman by a pro fitter comparing the slightly heavier head adult drivers to the lighter junior specific OEM drivers (like the Cobra) with the same technology etc. In my opinion 8's and 9's should not be playing adult drivers even if fitted with junior shafts and in all the testing I've seen there is very little or no difference in distance or dispersion between the USKids drivers and OEM's at that age. At swing speed of 70 mph you are not going to see much difference. If Cobra or Callaway makes a top of the line driver that has a head that weight 10 grams less than the adult sized head I see no reason why juniors with swing speed of less than 95 mph shouldn't use them. Just my opinion.. I've seen so many juniors over the years swinging driver too large and heavy for them with resulting impact to their swings..

I have told this story over and over on here. At 9 years old my son was being outdriven by 20-50 yards on US Kids Local. He had never been outdriven by that much and was often if not most of the time the longest in his group. I thought it was swing and fundamentals. At the fourth local I started looking at the other kids drivers and they were all adult OEM except his. This was a Sunday. I happened to have a Senior Flex left handed Taylormade RBZ 3 wood in the garage. He happened to have an instructional clinic on Monday with some other kids and a couple of PGA teachers in the afternoon. That morning I took the club to the golf shop and had it cut down to the US kids Specs for a 3 Wood. I took it out to him that afternoon which was rainy and 2 kids showed up. He hit the RBZ 3W further than the US Kids Driver by 10 yards. US Kids Driver was 170. RBZ 3W was 180. I bought a used Jet Speed the next day with a senior flex shaft and had it two day aired. Cut it down on Thursday afternoon and he practiced with it on Thursday and Friday. Put it into play on Saturday and Sunday to shoot at that time his lowest tournament scores ever. Why? Because he gained 20 yards over his US Kids Driver. He was driving the ball 190. At that point he was right in line with the longer hitters and shorter irons into greens.

I honestly don't care what the Trackman and a machine says, to a point. I saw it happen with my own eyes. If a competitive junior has the strength and swing speed to be in an Adult driver they need to be as soon as possible because the US Kids Metal woods are horrible.

I have told this story over and over on here. At 9 years old my son was being outdriven by 20-50 yards on US Kids Local. He had never been outdriven by that much and was often if not most of the time the longest in his group. I thought it was swing and fundamentals. At the fourth local I started looking at the other kids drivers and they were all adult OEM except his. This was a Sunday. I happened to have a Senior Flex left handed Taylormade RBZ 3 wood in the garage. He happened to have an instructional clinic on Monday with some other kids and a couple of PGA teachers in the afternoon. That morning I took the club to the golf shop and had it cut down to the US kids Specs for a 3 Wood. I took it out to him that afternoon which was rainy and 2 kids showed up. He hit the RBZ 3W further than the US Kids Driver by 10 yards. US Kids Driver was 170. RBZ 3W was 180. I bought a used Jet Speed the next day with a senior flex shaft and had it two day aired. Cut it down on Thursday afternoon and he practiced with it on Thursday and Friday. Put it into play on Saturday and Sunday to shoot at that time his lowest tournament scores ever. Why? Because he gained 20 yards over his US Kids Driver. He was driving the ball 190. At that point he was right in line with the longer hitters and shorter irons into greens.

I honestly don't care what the Trackman and a machine says, to a point. I saw it happen with my own eyes. If a competitive junior has the strength and swing speed to be in an Adult driver they need to be as soon as possible because the US Kids Metal woods are horrible.

Good context.. I agree that if juniors have the strength and swing speed they should move into OEM as soon as they can. My only point is not to move kids into adult clubs before they are ready for a heavier club (most 9 year olds are not driving 190 yards). If people have the option I recommend trying both like you did to see what the difference is. Similar to your earlier comment about ping making a light weight G series iron (great for juniors btw), they (and other OEMs) have recently been doing a better job of starting to make lighter weight drivers that are good options to move juniors into before they are ready for full size adult drivers.

Out of interest, are you still using the Jet Speed driver or have you moved into something else - what age and swing speed?

Good context.. I agree that if juniors have the strength and swing speed they should move into OEM as soon as they can. My only point is not to move kids into adult clubs before they are ready for a heavier club (most 9 year olds are not driving 190 yards). If people have the option I recommend trying both like you did to see what the difference is. Similar to your earlier comment about ping making a light weight G series iron (great for juniors btw), they (and other OEMs) have recently been doing a better job of starting to make lighter weight drivers that are good options to move juniors into before they are ready for full size adult drivers.

Out of interest, are you still using the Jet Speed driver or have you moved into something else - what age and swing speed?

12 years old and sitting at 93mph right now up about 8 mph since August. Moved to the M2 this summer that he saved his money for and bought on his own. Regular flexed shaft set at 12.5 degrees. Need to have it adjusted more than likely as his grip and swing plane has changed. Think it may be getting a tad too high. The Jet Speed was great and very lightweight, but was getting too much spin with it. We now have one of those grip right grips on it and use it for swing speed drills.

12 years old and sitting at 93mph right now up about 8 mph since August. Moved to the M2 this summer that he saved his money for and bought on his own. Regular flexed shaft set at 12.5 degrees. Need to have it adjusted more than likely as his grip and swing plane has changed. Think it may be getting a tad too high. The Jet Speed was great and very lightweight, but was getting too much spin with it. We now have one of those grip right grips on it and use it for swing speed drills.

If he likes TaylorMade and is not already signed up for AJGA look into it as they have a program to get 40% TM products for AJGA player members.

If he likes TaylorMade and is not already signed up for AJGA look into it as they have a program to get 40% TM products for AJGA player members.

He is on the Wilson Staff Junior advisory team. Swings everything Wilson except metal woods. Get better than 40% off retail from them. My daughter plays D1 golf so she played AJGA events. Know all about it. Thanks.

I have spoken with a couple other golf dads I know lately and we all seem to agree that it's tough to fit/find clubs for kids 11-14 years old. I just got my boy, 12, the US Kids irons and he really likes them. Don't cost an arm or leg, either. Once he's mostly grown, height wise, we'll have a serious fitting/shopping effort.

I have spoken with a couple other golf dads I know lately and we all seem to agree that it's tough to fit/find clubs for kids 11-14 years old. I just got my boy, 12, the US Kids irons and he really likes them. Don't cost an arm or leg, either. Once he's mostly grown, height wise, we'll have a serious fitting/shopping effort.

All that is really dependent on what level your kid is at. My kid has had his Wilson V6's for 7 months. I bought them knowing I would be purchasing a new set of clubs within 12 to 18 months depending on growth and swing speed. He needed new irons because he outgrew his old. Another set of US Kids clubs would not help him develop for 2 reasons. 1. He needs to start learning how to use better player clubs. 2. OEM clubs accuracy and building are just better. While a 2 handicap as a 12 year old junior isn't great, he needed better tools than US Kids to develop. I pretty much know going forward that he will be in new irons every 2 years and new wedges about every 6-12months. There is just know way to really get around it once you hit a certain level.

It isn't as difficult as one thinks to fit or find clubs for these kids. Us as parents often put too much thought into it.

All that is really dependent on what level your kid is at. My kid has had his Wilson V6's for 7 months. I bought them knowing I would be purchasing a new set of clubs within 12 to 18 months depending on growth and swing speed. He needed new irons because he outgrew his old. Another set of US Kids clubs would not help him develop for 2 reasons. 1. He needs to start learning how to use better player clubs. 2. OEM clubs accuracy and building are just better. While a 2 handicap as a 12 year old junior isn't great, he needed better tools than US Kids to develop. I pretty much know going forward that he will be in new irons every 2 years and new wedges about every 6-12months. There is just know way to really get around it once you hit a certain level.

It isn't as difficult as one thinks to fit or find clubs for these kids. Us as parents often put too much thought into it.

Like Heavy said, I noticed early on that kids were swinging OEM driver and 3 wood heads with ladies or junior shafts in them. My daughter is 10 and I got her the Cobra F7 junior driver. It is 39” long where US kids says a kid her size should be swinging a 36” driver. The length alone helped her add yards. She had to adjust at first because the club was longer than her old driver but she has had no issues since. I’m going to get her an F8 3 wood and have Cobra put their junior shaft in it. My only issue with getting younger kids the OEM irons is the weighting and cost. Unless your kid is above average in size, they probably aren’t strong enough to swing the heavier club weight that comes from buying and OEM iron. I realize that you can now get KBS junior graphite shafts but still, the head is going to be heavier. Most kids when they hit 12 are strong enough to handle OEM irons and thus fitting them for clubs seems reasonable. I was just at tr Holiday Classic and there were a few kids who had PXG clubs which to me is ridiculous but some people have money to burn.

I am not trying to be a troll, but I have a serious question to ask:

How you can say "while a 2 handicap as a 12 year old isn't great"?

Even Karl Vilips, the #1 player in the class of 2020, had a personal-best low 2.4 index as a 11yo, and low of scratch sometime when he was 12.

I'm not looking to get into an argument over the internet with anonymous people, and you clearly know your son's game better than probably anyone else, but it would be helpful if you could provide some perspective as to whether your comment was made out of humility or whether, by what you have observed in your experience in junior tournament golf, you really believe being a 2 index (I assume index and not handicap, which would be even more impressive) isn't that great.

• 4 weeks later...

I had originally posted about this in the What's for Christmas thread, but thought I would update here because it seems the better spot. A couple people had asked me what we were going with on clubs for my daughter and since we are now back in the middle of it all after her wrist healed, I thought I would update. I know it's hard to know what to do with clubs especially with the girls.

We have only ordered irons and went ahead and bought driver. We went with Titleist AP3 irons, I think she hit AP1's, AP2's, AP3's, Ping I200's, G400's, and Mizuno Hot Metal. She liked the hot metal at first, but once she hit the AP3 she just fell in love with that club. We went probably 4 or 5 different times, she hit everything on the range, not mats and spent plenty of time looking.

She's 12. Her swing speed with a 6 iron was / is 77.67 mph and around 87 mph with an adult driver. The irons will be steel regular flex. Standard Ladies grips on all clubs. We got her the 2017 M2 driver this past Sunday, the price dropped down $100 because the M3 and M4 are coming out. It has the regular flex graphite shaft that comes on it, not cut down at this point and I don't see that we will change that so far. We went to the range when we got back home Sunday afternoon and she was flying the driver around 200 yards, which is a little farther than the mike flynn clubs. When she gets used to it it will make a huge difference. We are picking up the irons this weekend but Mardi Gras is starting up and things get a little crazy this time of year but hopefully will be able to take her out and let her play a round on Sunday.

Wedges are next, looking at sand and gap wedges only at first, she likes the Callaway Mack Daddy and Cleveland RTX3 right now. She'll do a couple lessons and she and her coach will fill in the gaps, so likely an M2 5 wood and possibly 4 hybrid are in her future too.

I'll be so damn glad when we are done with these clubs, for monetary and sanity reasons.

I found a cheap Cleveland cg black driver on eBay in great shape. Shortened it and regripped it. He is hitting good but seems to be getting to much what I believe is front spin. It going on a good trajectory and dives straight into the ground. Any advice.

It is still cold in Georgia we have hit it on a launch monitor yet

I found a cheap Cleveland cg black driver on eBay in great shape. Shortened it and regripped it. He is hitting good but seems to be getting to much what I believe is front spin. It going on a good trajectory and dives straight into the ground. Any advice.

It is still cold in Georgia we have hit it on a launch monitor yet

Not enough spin. More loft or spinnier ball. No such thing as front spin.