Mizuno's ST 180 driver: 2017 RSM Classic

I also hated the tensei blue 60. The blue 70x was a whole different combination. Blew away the silver for me

I wish I had the SS to maximize the numbers and results with a 70X!

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went down to Carls yesterday specifically to look at the ST180. I've read some comments that the face looks closed. When I picked it up it was in the 10.5D position and did look slightly closed but then looked perfectly square at 9.5D and also square at 10.5DU which seemed sort of odd. The shape is not for me, I had a Cobra F6 and while the ST180 footprint isn't that big its still substantial. I like blue on drivers and the ST180 has a real quality look to it with the matte finish, having said that I'm not sure I'd want to be looking at that shade of blue all the time. The sound was an absolute killer for me, it was completely unexpected because I always associate Mizuno with being traditional and understated. Hit it with the Tensei Blue which is not the smoothest shaft I've ever hit. I was hitting agains the G400 (10.5 lofted down to 9.5) with Tour shaft and the 917 D2 (10.5 set to A1) with Diamana Blue 60 - the ST180 I had set at 10.5. I was hitting outside and just watching ball flight. ST180 launch was lower than G400 in the neutral setting, about the same when I lofted the Ping down. ST180 was noticeably lower than D2. Longest driver of the three was G400, followed by ST180 then D2. For me the ST180 had the widest dispersion with G400 being the most accurate (by a wide margin).

I'm going to hit the ST180 one more time before making a final decision, but I don't think its for me. Nothing wrong with it but I tend to gravitate more to drivers that have a more compact appearance, I also wouldn't put and M1/M2 in my bag. The D2 is my limit for size of footprint and optically the ST180 seemed bigger. I could live with the sound off my F6 but the ST180 might be a bit too much.

I just reread my comments here and realized they are all pretty negative. Just to be clear, the ST180 didn't match up with my preferences when it comes to a driver. That's not to say there won't be lots of guys who will be extremely happy with it.

Thanks for sharing! When I lived in Michigan, Carl's on Telegraph was my goto driver testing range.

You should hit it with the Kuro Kage Dual Core Silver 60. Will keep spin down and launch higher than the Tensei CK Blue 60 also feels smoother from my testing.

I would love to try the KK, hands down it would be my choice over the Tensei. I'm usually right between R and S and unfortunately the CK Blue is the only shaft Mizuno offers in R in the 60+ gram range, KK only in S and X. So I think there's a really good chance I could get dialled in with the ST180 given the proper shaft, its a shame they're not offering an Aldila option like Rogue Silver or Tour Green.

Re Carls, it was my first time there, drove all the way from Toronto because we have zero chance of ever seeing the ST180 in a store up here. Long drive but totally worth it. For me the only way to buy a driver is to hit it where I can see the full ball flight. They guys there are great.

Agreed love Carls and good on you for making the trip! Good luck in your quest for driver Nirvana!

I also hated the tensei blue 60. The blue 70x was a whole different combination. Blew away the silver for me

I found the 60 to be a bit rough, how does the 70 differ?

I'm a little bit bummed out at Mizuno, they're really not giving me a lot of options with my 100mph swing speed. Every time I step up to an S flex its just a bit too much. Sort of odd since they offer just about every option in their irons. By comparison Cobra gives me at least 5 good quality shaft options at no up charge for my swing speed.

I feel the Tensei CK Blue in general was also slightly on the harsh side when compared to the Kuro DC Silver 60 in the ST180 head. The head is already designed to be low spin so even for my 106-108mh driver SS, got not only the best subjective feelings, but also the objective data on GC2 was superior with KK DC Silver 60S. In the end hopefully the golf shops get a fitting set up where all of the offerings are available to try to dial in perfectly. Of course by that time the GT180 will be out with what seems to be similar adjustability to the 900 which is still my best buy of 2017! Good luck

I found the 60 to be a bit rough, how does the 70 differ?

I'm a little bit bummed out at Mizuno, they're really not giving me a lot of options with my 100mph swing speed. Every time I step up to an S flex its just a bit too much. Sort of odd since they offer just about every option in their irons. By comparison Cobra gives me at least 5 good quality shaft options at no up charge for my swing speed.

The 60 was to soft and light, I had no control with it. I have a very fast hard transition. The 70 gram was way more stable. I tried the tensei white 70 but it was too low spin with the head. I never tried the 70 stiff, but the blue is a softer X so went with it as the results were awesome. I have two rounds with it and love the fact I can swing hard and not get more than a slight draw and can hit a baby cut on command. I hope the fairway wood is as good as I'm going to put the same shaft in a 3 wood and ..(maybe 5 wood)

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

For fun, I hit it off the deck on a par 5 yesterday and it gave me a low/mid bullet that was very penetrating. Would be great with wind on hard fairways. This gives me hope for a low lofted fairway wood.

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

I enjoyed the 900 with the KKXT 70X or with the Tensei White 70TX. I found the weight settings to be useless as I put them along the side to give me the lowest launch and spin.

I would like to give the ST180 a test to see if it's true that it's meant for higher ball speeds. Pair it with the Orange V2 and I'm expecting a 10 yard jump at least just based on the combo of ball speed increase from both changes...

I went down to Carls yesterday specifically to look at the ST180. I've read some comments that the face looks closed. When I picked it up it was in the 10.5D position and did look slightly closed but then looked perfectly square at 9.5D and also square at 10.5DU which seemed sort of odd. The shape is not for me, I had a Cobra F6 and while the ST180 footprint isn't that big its still substantial. I like blue on drivers and the ST180 has a real quality look to it with the matte finish, having said that I'm not sure I'd want to be looking at that shade of blue all the time. The sound was an absolute killer for me, it was completely unexpected because I always associate Mizuno with being traditional and understated. Hit it with the Tensei Blue which is not the smoothest shaft I've ever hit. I was hitting agains the G400 (10.5 lofted down to 9.5) with Tour shaft and the 917 D2 (10.5 set to A1) with Diamana Blue 60 - the ST180 I had set at 10.5. I was hitting outside and just watching ball flight. ST180 launch was lower than G400 in the neutral setting, about the same when I lofted the Ping down. ST180 was noticeably lower than D2. Longest driver of the three was G400, followed by ST180 then D2. For me the ST180 had the widest dispersion with G400 being the most accurate (by a wide margin).

I'm going to hit the ST180 one more time before making a final decision, but I don't think its for me. Nothing wrong with it but I tend to gravitate more to drivers that have a more compact appearance, I also wouldn't put and M1/M2 in my bag. The D2 is my limit for size of footprint and optically the ST180 seemed bigger. I could live with the sound off my F6 but the ST180 might be a bit too much.

I just reread my comments here and realized they are all pretty negative. Just to be clear, the ST180 didn't match up with my preferences when it comes to a driver. That's not to say there won't be lots of guys who will be extremely happy with it.

Thanks for sharing! When I lived in Michigan, Carl's on Telegraph was my goto driver testing range.

You should hit it with the Kuro Kage Dual Core Silver 60. Will keep spin down and launch higher than the Tensei CK Blue 60 also feels smoother from my testing.

I would love to try the KK, hands down it would be my choice over the Tensei. I'm usually right between R and S and unfortunately the CK Blue is the only shaft Mizuno offers in R in the 60+ gram range, KK only in S and X. So I think there's a really good chance I could get dialled in with the ST180 given the proper shaft, its a shame they're not offering an Aldila option like Rogue Silver or Tour Green.

Re Carls, it was my first time there, drove all the way from Toronto because we have zero chance of ever seeing the ST180 in a store up here. Long drive but totally worth it. For me the only way to buy a driver is to hit it where I can see the full ball flight. They guys there are great.

I'd like to see the Pro Tensei options too.

Just ordered the ST180 Driver and fairway wood. Driver will have the Kuro Kage X 68 TiNi and the fairway will have the Kuro Kage X 78 TiNi.

It will be replacing the G400 LST and G400 3 wood in my bag.

When I hit it:

Club head speed: 110 for G400LST/ST180 clubs.

My carry numbers were slightly better at 285 carry 305 roll out compared to 282/301 with G400LST. Spin was slightly lower at an average of 2100 and surprisingly my dispersion was a tad better than the G400 in both clubs.

I also am a huge fan of the ole bluie color.

I think Mizuno has a winner in this one. It improves on a good JPX900 and I enjoy the simplicity. The forgiveness is on par or maybe even slighty better than the G400 in my eyes.

can you give a review of the fairway wood?

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

can you give a review of the fairway wood?

Numbers for 3 Wood:

250 Carry 263 roll out.

2955 spin

Extra 3 yards compared to the G400 for me on average and 250 rpms less spin.

Forgiveness is on par with the G400 3 wood. They are essentially the same tech minus the turbulators. Mizuno has a cleaner top and the wave tech so I didn't struggle to get it up in the air off the deck. I hit a couple off the heel/toe which carried an average of 240 so a slight drop off due to the spin kicking up into the 3000s. Toe and heel strikes didn't feel harsh and still flew fairly true and straight.

I left it at the standard 15 degrees. I use to play the 2016 model M1/M2s and these are every bit as long and more forgiving. Just my 2 cents.

Did you happen to compare to tensei blue 70x in it?

2024 WITB: 

TM MINI DRIVER??

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Here is a review of the fairway.

TaylorMade SIM 9* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5
TaylorMade M6 14* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black HY 90 6.5
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4&5 KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 6-PW KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno T20 Raw 50-07, 54-08, 58-08 TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade TP Black Cooper Ardmore 3L
TaylorMadeTP5x

• 1 month later...

I love this driver! Got it about a month ago and haven't looked back. The shaft that rocks with it is the Tensei White 70 stiff. It has been a fairway finder for me and I can work it both ways. I was using the '16 M2 with Diamana Whiteboard 70 stiff and while it also was a good driver it launched a bit high and bad shots where more offline than with the Mizuno.If you are in the market for a great driver that is forgiving, consistent and long this is it!

Just got email confirmation that my custom ordered ST180 shipped! Pumped

Edit spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw the ST180 driver and fairways today and was very impressed. Beautiful finish and sets up great. I'm partial to round, shallow fairways and this one fits the bill. Hope to hit it next time I'm in the LGS.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

• 2 months later...

I did a thing.

So I got fitted at my home course for a ST180 HL driver at 10.5 w/ I believe a 70x Kuro Kage shaft. I've been wanting to get a driver setup that can be consistent and produce better results in competitive rounds over my current gamer. I currently have a '17 M1 with a graphite design shaft that I didn't think I would take out of the bag. The Mizuno driver was so easy to hit and produced a much higher and more consistent ball flight that I couldn't say no to. I was surprised and not surprised at the same time. I already have Mizuno irons and wedges and know how good their clubs are but just didn't think my TM driver would get over thrown. It'll be hard to post on BST but going to make the switch.

Excited to put the Mizuno driver in play and see if my scoring improves. May eventually get fitted for a fairway and possible hybrid.

• 1 month later...

A bit of a bump for this thread since I'm in the process of trying this driver against a '17 M2. Digging it so far.

That weight port all the way in the back must mean this particular model is for the average golfer looking for high ball flight.

Just as an FYI, its aluminum weight is only 2g (reminiscent of the '16 M2). Removed mine to weigh the head and have a "custom" weight coming to adjust the swing weight with 1/2" cut from the shaft. Will post a new thread with some pics and details soon.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

A bit of a bump for this thread since I'm in the process of trying this driver against a '17 M2. Digging it so far.

That weight port all the way in the back must mean this particular model is for the average golfer looking for high ball flight.

Just as an FYI, its aluminum weight is only 2g (reminiscent of the '16 M2). Removed mine to weigh the head and have a "custom" weight coming to adjust the swing weight with 1/2" cut from the shaft. Will post a new thread with some pics and details soon.

as a mizuno guy myself, I am excited to try this idea soon.

as a mizuno guy myself, I am excited to try this idea soon.

Able to order a weight from somewhere? I want to add weight to mine and it’ll probably just be lead tape as I can’t find a weight.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSI2 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Able to order a weight from somewhere? I want to add weight to mine and it'll probably just be lead tape as I can't find a weight.

It's not a weight from Mizuno, unfortunately, since one of their reps told me they were "not removable" (as if no one has heat guns and Torx security bits). The picture on the first page shows heads with no weights, so I'm sure the tour van works their magic when necessary. In any case, the weight I purchased is probably going to fit fine, but may be a hair small in diameter, so I don't want to say for sure if it is ideal. I should have it Friday and will hopefully put up another thread with details in a few days.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Able to order a weight from somewhere? I want to add weight to mine and it'll probably just be lead tape as I can't find a weight.

It's not a weight from Mizuno, unfortunately, since one of their reps told me they were "not removable" (as if no one has heat guns and Torx security bits). The picture on the first page shows heads with no weights, so I'm sure the tour van works their magic when necessary. In any case, the weight I purchased is probably going to fit fine, but may be a hair small in diameter, so I don't want to say for sure if it is ideal. I should have it Friday and will hopefully put up another thread with details in a few days.

Thanks. Curious to see how it works out for you.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSI2 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck