First Round of 2018 - Post it!

BKN1964

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only golf I'm laying right now is in my twisted tiny mind. There is no place within driving distance to even think of a round unless you're from Siberia. Don't remember having such frigid cold for an extended period this early in the Winter in the 15 years I've lived here. We do have a few days that may get out of the single digits for highs this week so maybe I'll run out in the yard and hit a couple off my mat, if I can get the snow and ice off it. Have to admit that for once I'm a little envious of those that can get on the course. Not one for cabin fever usually, but, feel like about a week from turning into "Johnny" in the movie Shining.

acttemp_1280x720.jpg?v=ap&w=1280&h=720&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

The only golf I'm laying right now is in my twisted tiny mind. There is no place within driving distance to even think of a round unless you're from Siberia. Don't remember having such frigid cold for an extended period this early in the Winter in the 15 years I've lived here. We do have a few days that may get out of the single digits for highs this week so maybe I'll run out in the yard and hit a couple off my mat, if I can get the snow and ice off it. Have to admit that for once I'm a little envious of those that can get on the course. Not one for cabin fever usually, but, feel like about a week from turning into "Johnny" in the movie Shining.

Haha! Yeah, based on the temperatures globally right now, looks like not many people north of about 28 degrees north latitude have been playing any golf in the past 24 hours.

Be sure to post your first round of the new year. Let us know:

- Where

- Weather

- How long since your last round (some of you it will be 1 day :( )

- How you played vs. how you normally play

- Anything else you want us to know

Include pictures if possible.

Have a great 2018 golf-wise and otherwise :)

El Rio in Tucson.

Mid 70s, sunny, very little wind, pretty much perfect.

4 days

Hit the ball better than I ever have. Lessons starting to show in the swing. Yacked a bit around the green, or it would have been best ever, possibly, but it was still good for me, a 94. Five pars and five bogeys, I can see that I might actually learn to play the game! One nice problem to have was hitting several shots farther than they "should" have gone! I may have to adjust my club selection a bit if that continues! Had multiple opportunities from 70ish yards, and the lob wedge was extremely cooperative. Twice I tried to get myself out of trouble with shots I knew better than to choose. Of course, there was a cost!

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

- Where: Portland, OR

- Weather: Started about 43 or so. Ended about 35 (per car thermometer) Sunny/Partly Sunny

- How long since your last round (some of you it will be 1 day :( ) 7.5 hours (finished at 4:30pm on 12/31. teed off at 12pm 1/1)

- How you played vs. how you normally play: Took the last week of the year off so I played Wed-Sun...sucks that I'm back to work. But playing 5 days straight I was hitting (and playing) pretty well. Ground was of course soggy, but 2 of the courses I played during the week drain great and there was little to no mud.

First round of 2018 was a bit windy and gusty...and muddy as we had about an inch of ice on Christmas and the day after. At times later in the round it would be at least 2 club up wind gusts. Really evident on a couple par 3's. Normally I'd hit a 7 or 8 on a particular one. Pin was up front and tee box was up as well. Struck a solid 6 and landed in front of the green by a good 5yds as I felt a gust of wind.

Other than the wind, being prepared with base layers, 3/4 zip and a wind breaker kept me warm. Good times, except the 4some ahead played slower than our group that was 4 holes back of the group that started 8 min before them - and we had a couple slow walkers that were 74 and 80. Hope I'm out there like them when I'm older! Round took almost 5hrs...and it was late dusk when we finished. However it was good to be out there!

- Where: Portland, OR

- Weather: Started about 43 or so. Ended about 35 (per car thermometer) Sunny/Partly Sunny

- How long since your last round (some of you it will be 1 day :( ) 7.5 hours (finished at 4:30pm on 12/31. teed off at 12pm 1/1)

- How you played vs. how you normally play: Took the last week of the year off so I played Wed-Sun...sucks that I'm back to work. But playing 5 days straight I was hitting (and playing) pretty well. Ground was of course soggy, but 2 of the courses I played during the week drain great and there was little to no mud.

First round of 2018 was a bit windy and gusty...and muddy as we had about an inch of ice on Christmas and the day after. At times later in the round it would be at least 2 club up wind gusts. Really evident on a couple par 3's. Normally I'd hit a 7 or 8 on a particular one. Pin was up front and tee box was up as well. Struck a solid 6 and landed in front of the green by a good 5yds as I felt a gust of wind.

Other than the wind, being prepared with base layers, 3/4 zip and a wind breaker kept me warm. Good times, except the 4some ahead played slower than our group that was 4 holes back of the group that started 8 min before them - and we had a couple slow walkers that were 74 and 80. Hope I'm out there like them when I'm older! Round took almost 5hrs...and it was late dusk when we finished. However it was good to be out there!

I would take this right now. It hasn't broken 20 degrees in the Northeast since Christmas time, terrible weather. Now getting 6-12 inches of snow on top of it. No winter golf this year in the north east.

Have not played since the last week of October, it's been a brutal Canadian winter so far. But my first round of the year will be January 13th at the Riviera Cancun Golf Club. Going for the Hard Rock for 5 days for my work convention and we have a company tournament on the Saturday. Can't wait! Please hurry up time.

01/02/2018

Live in NorCal (Sacramento area)

Weather was high of 64 - Partly sunny

I played my last round of 18 the week of Christmas

Played 18 regualtion holes and shot a 92 (45/47) which is lower than my average mid-high 90s score.

At least CA has nice weather, there's not a lot else to love... LMAO

Jan 1 2018, I couldn’t wait a day.

Tacoma, WA

Weather was sunny and mid 40’s slight breeze occasionally

I played right before the Christmas snow we had here

Played 18 holes on a par 73 course, the winter course does a reroute from all three 9 hole courses on the layout. Shot a 79 and couldn’t be happier. Started my first hole with a birdie!(it’s a par 5) played the best I have in a while. Figured I’d give 2018 a different mindset with trying to play smart.

My guess is I will get it in sometime in March, unless we get lucky like last year and have a heat wave in Jan-Feb. Right now it's 15 , which is the highest it has been in over a week. About 6inches of snow on the ground with a light dusting today

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

Played yesterday, January 2nd.

San Diego - low- mid 70's

Last played Saturday the 30th.

Played horrible for the first 10 holes. 4 double bogeys, 2 bogeys and 4 pars. I was struggling and every bad shot left me in a horrible position. It was either a bad break or no break at all. Then shot -1 for the last 8 holes. On 11 short par 3, 122 yds, landed 3 ft behind the pin on the back stop, spun back down the hill and stopped 3" to the side of the hole. Still a big goose egg on the hole in one count but good after the horrible front 9. Went birdie, par (missed 3ft putt for birdie, birdie on 11, 12 and 13, bogeyed 14 and parred the rest.

My last round was DEC 24. Temps have been 8 to 20 degrees for the last 10 days. WE are projected to get a BOmb CYCLONE followed by record cold, 4 degree high wind chills 30 to 40 below. The cold snap is projected to break next week, with temps in the 40s for a few days followed by upper 30s.

It did hit 30 degrees today with no wind, so I went to the range. It felt balmy compared to the last 10 days.

Played on New Year's Day at my club. One of our members put together a little tourney he called "Hangover Hundies." Each of 15 of us put up $100 and he paid low net front nine ($75), low net back nine ($75), and low net overall $150. Also paid out $50 closest to the pin on all three par 3's and the rest went into a 1/2 stroke net skins game.

Guys ranged in index from scratch all the way to 15. I started a new job a while back, so I'm only golfing once or twice a week and my index has gone up to 1.5 (the highest it's been in a long, long time).

44 degrees at tee off, but 69 degrees by the time we finished. I shot 73 gross, 71 net in tough conditions and won low net by 5 strokes. Greens were rock hard and 12.5 to 13 on the stimp. This time of year our course is just brutal. Also won a skin for a nice $250 day!

So I got that goin' for me ...

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

It will be warm enough next week for a couple of days but rain is predicted on those days. Sucks.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I played on 1/1/18 at my home course. Previous round on 12/29. Way too cold and wet to play, but the idea of playing on New Years Day was appealing. Played awful, but did birdie my first hole of the year following a birdie on my last hole of 2017. Now time to settle in for the long Florida winter before playing again on Sunday.

Played on New Year's Day at my club. One of our members put together a little tourney he called "Hangover Hundies." Each of 15 of us put up $100 and he paid low net front nine ($75), low net back nine ($75), and low net overall $150. Also paid out $50 closest to the pin on all three par 3's and the rest went into a 1/2 stroke net skins game.

Guys ranged in index from scratch all the way to 15. I started a new job a while back, so I'm only golfing once or twice a week and my index has gone up to 1.5 (the highest it's been in a long, long time).

44 degrees at tee off, but 69 degrees by the time we finished. I shot 73 gross, 71 net in tough conditions and won low net by 5 strokes. Greens were rock hard and 12.5 to 13 on the stimp. This time of year our course is just brutal. Also won a skin for a nice $250 day!

OB...new job = less golf? This is bad math Sir.

• 1/4/18
  • West Texas
  • 44° with wind gusts 20 - 25 mph (with the wind chill the "feels like" temp was in the mid/high 30's)
  • Last round was 11/23/17
  • The ground was so hard that it was tough getting a tee into it. Balls were also coming in and bouncing through the greens. The hard fairways did make for some good run on down/cross wind drives. My last round of 2017 was a 78. Today I shot an 88, but at least I got to play after more than a month layoff.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

OB...new job = less golf? This is bad math Sir.

I know! Sad!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Played home course in Houston yesterday, first round since 12/11. Temps started off in the 40’s and topped off around 55 with calm 5-10 mph winds.

Normal round would be 78-82. Played 18 in about 3 hours w/ a good friend and joked and played music most of the day.

Hole 4, par 3 playing 150 stuck it to 3’, made birdie.

Hole 14 holed out a long bunker shot for birdie.

Up and down for par on 3, 7, 9, 15

Even par through 16

17, 208 par 3 over water with bunkers left and water front and right, happy to make bogey.

18, 450 par 4 into the wind, had 178 left and hit approach pin high, just missed green by a ft and ended up in the bunker, nice sand shot to 4’ and missed the sliding down hill putt.

I’ll take the 74 and run!