Pebble or Bandon??

looking to go on a golf trip for 40th birthday and get away from the kids. debating between a few days at pebble or a few days at bandon. if pebble, i would play pebble, spyglass and spanish bay, but would not likely stay at the resort. if bandon, would play bandon dunes, pacific dunes and bandon trails. without factoring the cost of the golf itself, what are people's opinion of the two options. we would be going in early june, so weather should be awesome for both, not sure how that plays in to how busy either is though.

appreciate your comments.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking to go on a golf trip for 40th birthday and get away from the kids. debating between a few days at pebble or a few days at bandon. if pebble, i would play pebble, spyglass and spanish bay, but would not likely stay at the resort. if bandon, would play bandon dunes, pacific dunes and bandon trails. without factoring the cost of the golf itself, what are people's opinion of the two options. we would be going in early june, so weather should be awesome for both, not sure how that plays in to how busy either is though.

Part of this would depend on availability. I would check both websites to see if there are tee times that would fit your schedule. I am going to Bandon in July, and we booked in June this past year.

Did both in 2017. Bandon is way better

Pebble

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

In 2010 in Golf Digest, Matt Ginella quoted David Fay, former executor director of the USGA, who said Bandon is "the epicenter of golf on Planet Earth". In 2011 in the same magazine, Fay said:

"If someone gave me tee times at Pebble Beach, Cypress, Spyglass and one of the two courses at Monterey Peninsula Country Club versus the same deal at Bandon -- four courses in two days -- it's no contest: I'd take Bandon hands down, and I think I've seen just about everything there is to compare it to. I love everything about the place."

For me, since 2001 made eleven Bandon trips (once trip in June, the rest in December). Since 2005 played Pebble Beach 3 times on three trips (& made three other Monterey trips to play some other local courses).

If you haven't been to either resort, like Edaw68 I'd pick Pebble Beach. Both places are busy all the time.

Based purely on golf, I prefer Bandon.

I love the golf at Bandon but i'm a hotel and food snob and Pebble/Spanish has that hands down.

This.

For a once in a life time trip IMHO it must be a combination of the accommodations and food as well as the golf.

By that criteria it is Pebble Beach.

No way the accommodations and food in Bandon comes close to Pebble.

Keiser is a genius being able to charge top rates for the accommodations at Bandon!

OP...you're going to have 8 to 2 recommendations of Bandon over Pebble.

Funnily enough, by the end of 2018, that will be the number of times I've been to each ;)

OP, Bandon, Bandon, Bandon.

There are nice hotels and restaurants across the US you can stay at wherever and whenever you want.

There is no public golf in the US comparable to that on offer in Oregon.

Bandon has 3 tremendous proper links courses and a 4th that is an equal of those 3.

Pebble has Pebble, which is awesome, and then 2 other overrated/overpriced nice courses, but nothing special.

As noted above though, if you are looking for this June, I bet the ship has sailed already for Bandon and with Pebble if you wait until July you should be able to take advantage of their annual 'Summer Specials', to easily play, without having to stay.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If you're a good player who wants challenging golf - Bandon every time.

If you think the bar, restaurants, and local shopping is more important - Pebble.

Personally, the only reason I'd ever go back to Pebble is if my wife was going with me.

Since it appears that your wife may be with you, other major factors to consider - you have to walk when playing at Bandon - and there isn't a lot of entertainment for non-golfers at Bandon. Your wife would love Carmel shops, restaurants, and small hotels.

On 2 trips to Bandon, I've only seen 1 female golfer. Indeed, it's difficult to even buy a gift for my wife, as the pro shops have little female gear. One of the assistant pros told me that only "10% of our visitors are women."

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Curious, so quick question.

For those who strongly favor Bandon, if PB was ever a bucket list destination, have you played it? Reason I ask is while Ive never played Bandon, I strongly want to based mainly on what I’ve read here. But it was never a bucket list type place until reading the accolades here. PB always was.

PB to me, truly is a 100% bucket list type course. I love seeing it on television every January (or February, don’t remember exactly), as they show each hole, remembering my shots there. It truly sounds like BD is nervana for golfers. But in all honesty, if I never get there, I won’t feel the same as if I’d never made it to PB. I don’t have an overwhelming desire to go back to PB, but I sure am glad I was able to get there once.

The point of my ramble. Knowing both places, and if you were choosing a one time, memory making trip for someone else, would you still choose BD?

For me PB is all glitter, but no where near the level of golf courses you find at Bandon, despite what golf magazine ratings claim.(We know those ratings can be bought!)

Without wind, PB is pretty benign, and the ocean holes are the whole story. Bandon has more ocean holes + superior design on all their courses.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

The point of my ramble. Knowing both places, and if you were choosing a one time, memory making trip for someone else, would you still choose BD?

No one can take up that remit unless they know the someone else.

If someone else wants to relive a round of golf on tele once a year and has buckets - or they are only go to play a single round on a single course and never ever return to either spot - then yes Pebble.

If someone else wants a 4 day trip playing as fun a public access golf as they can in North America, then yes Bandon.

I don't know if I've played anywhere that has a 5 hole stretch that can surpass 6-10 at Pebble and on a 1:1 comparison Pebble can easily be someone's preferred course to one in Oregon; however, taken on the whole the PB Resort courses could have more than just the Bandon Resort courses above them.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Champagne & lobster = Pebble

Microbrew & meatloaf (literally) = Bandon

Are you going for the golf or to get away? Bandon is all about the golf. You will probably end up golfing 10 hours a day (range time + 36 holes), add in Shorty’s, Preserve, and Punchbowl and Bandon is purely about golf. If you go as a single you will get paired with some fun groups with similar interests. You won’t feel bad about going to bed at 10:30 to rest up for the next day.

Pebble you will play 18 and be done with golf. You will head into town for some meals and take in everything. You won’t meet people and have great conversations, people will more keep to themselves.

It’s hard to say for someone else but for me I want to golf and golf as much as possible. I’d do Bandon. For a 1st timer, where it sounds like 3 days, I would do 2 @Bandon, 1 @ Pacific, 1 OM, 1 Trails. For me I would do 2 at Trails, which is my favorite course i’ve ever played, not the best but my favorite.

We ? who is we? if your spouse doesn't play than Pebble If your golf aficionado's then Bandon been to both numerous times, (worked @ the Bandon property) Pebble and the area $$$$, Bandon $$$.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

i think a trip to Bandon is due. I have been there but didn't play. Drove from Reno, NV to Vancouver over a week... touring. Stopped at Bandon and walked a few holes. I get it. It's really about golf. Pebble is just majestically beautiful and that 18th has some serious magnet but too much glitter. I will leave that to the rich business men who fly in from all over the planet. No problem.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Having read this thread and never played Bandon, makes it a "must do" destination whenever I get back out in that direction. And Mallrat, thank you for your insight.

But to answer the OP's question, I'll have to go with Pebble. Just because it's Pebble.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Bandon! I actually loved the accommodations, it was more like a dorm room. But nice and literally walked out 20 feet for coffee , shuttles to and from anywhere. I had read food was bad, I thought it was fantastic. A beer at pebble will cost you 11 bucks, Bandon 6. When on golf trip with the guys I like pulled pork and beer or meatloaf with some red wine opposed to going to Roys and dropping 150 apiece. But to each their own. If it was a one day play at any course I would choose PB, but a 3 to 4 day drip easily Bandon. Much cheaper if you can go early spring or late fall also. I will make Filets and Cabernet at home all the time, but when I was at Bandon I was good one night with a Quesadilla and beer with cigars at the Bunker Bar. I went to Bandon end of August and already want to go back. most of my buddies think its an every other year or 5 year trip.

I always go into the town of Bandon for supper - several choices there.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

For those who have played the Pebble courses and have stayed at the resort, how much do you think that added to the experience? The OP states that he won't stay at the resort. To me, that diminishes the champagne and cavier appeal of Pebble. Monterey would make a more well rounded vacation overall, but less of a golf vacation.

I also think Pebble can be done later in life since there are carts (which diminish the golf experience imo). Bandon is walking only which requires at least some fitness and also adds to the majestic nature of the entire resort.

I'm in the camp of Bandon, Bandon, Bandon, until I get too old, and then it'll be Pebble Pebble Pebble.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

depends...are you going for the golf or are you going so you can tell others where you went and other non-golf factors?

nobody i went with in my group of ~24 a couple years ago, who had also been to pebble, said pebble was better. if you're doing something like pebble/cypress/Cal club/SFGC....then ok....i'll listen to your argument.

Bandon is for golf. Pebble is for corporate nonsense.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Nothing beats Bandon, have high hopes for Sand Valley later this year.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black