2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Do any of the course do funky things, ie temp greens or tee boxes during winter? Thinking about Murphy Creek on Tuesday. If the forecast holds it looks like 60*.

I know Kings Deer down in Monument covers a good portion of their greens in the winter. I've never gone down after they've done this though. Riverdale Dunes uses mats on their par 3's to tee off from. I think that's about it though.

Thanks Jacob, we just don’t want to get somewhere and get surprised. Might even end up at Buffalo Run.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacob, did you already have to prepay for that time? Looks like that group is full, but I snagged a single at 12:29 and there are a couple spots still open as of 2pm. It's $35 with cart on the GVR website, so a couple bucks more, but gets an extra 40 minutes of sunlight which should mean finishing 18.

Shoot, yeah I did prepay. I'm gonna see if I can cancel and join that group instead. I love being able to play a full 18.

Edit: I'm such a doofus. The 1:07 time I booked was for today! WHOOPS. I could of sworn I had booked tomorrow. Clearly I'm still at work and didn't make it out to GVR by that time, so I'm on the phone now to cancel. Just signed up for tomorrow at 12:29 though. Thanks for the heads up! Without that, I would have shown up very very confused tomorrow afternoon. Looks like I'll see you tomorrow!

Sweet! Sent you a PM... see you tomorrow.

Hopefully Chile Dip Master can update you to Murphy Creek. Never played it in the winter. Only ones I know of that do some weird things, the Denver courses will put like 3 or 4 holes in a green and you're suppose to rotate it clockwise after finishing a hole.

If you want to try and do Walnut Creek, I might be able to join. It is actually in pretty decent shape but you'll need to set up a tee time asap as that course gets packed on a 45*+ day much less a 60* day.

Good luck! Golfweek?

Yup! Played on the tour all last year, and had a real fun time. My game kept improving towards the end of the year. Pretty limited field so far (16 people in my flight), but it'll be fun just to travel and play a couple new courses. And possibly even make money from it!

Sounds like fun regardless of field. I noticed your comments in another thread about the tour. I might have to do both Golfweek and GC just to come up with excuses to travel lol.

Hopefully Chile Dip Master can update you to Murphy Creek. Never played it in the winter. Only ones I know of that do some weird things, the Denver courses will put like 3 or 4 holes in a green and you're suppose to rotate it clockwise after finishing a hole.

If you want to try and do Walnut Creek, I might be able to join. It is actually in pretty decent shape but you'll need to set up a tee time asap as that course gets packed on a 45*+ day much less a 60* day.

Love to have someone else to play with, time to start meeting some people.

Walnut Creek is in Westminster correct? I’ll be at the auction on I70 and Tower in the morning, and have to make a pit stop at the one on York and 270. Would have to double check start times to make sure I could leave early enough to get across town.

Walnut Creek is in Westminster correct? I’ll be at the auction on I70 and Tower in the morning, and have to make a pit stop at the one on York and 270. Would have to double check start times to make sure I could leave early enough to get across town.

Yes the most northwest side of Westminster lol.

Yes the most northwest side of Westminster lol.

Ok, just looked it up, it’s close to 36 it looks like and I would be coming right up that, so shouldn’t be too terrible getting there.

I’ll check a couple things and post again in the morning.

Irv, have to be teed off by 11:30-12:00 to make sure to have enough time to finish?

Would be recommended but possibly could be done if teed off by 1.

Hey Irv, 2 us are coming over. Should be able to make it by 10:30. Earlier or as close to that time probably works best for us since we’re driving back afterwards.

Sorry late to the game. MC has tarps down for the year. They put them down this last Monday. Was over there testing a driver/shaft combo today and everything else for practice is open.

Edit: to clarify MC tarps the greens during the winter. Ever since the US Public Championship out there they have had to do it.

Sorry late to the game. MC has tarps down for the year. They put them down this last Monday. Was over there testing a driver/shaft combo today and everything else for practice is open.

Edit: to clarify MC tarps the greens during the winter. Ever since the US Public Championship out there they have had to do it.

Thanks CDM, that’s good to know. Hopefully we can make the Walnut Creek deal work.

Thanks for chiming in Brett. I played MC the last day before they tarped. It was in pretty decent shape for this time of year, but that last day of the season out there always makes me sad. Still my favorite course in the area (probably because it was the first one I started playing regularly).

In case anyone else was wondering, they'll reopen the first week of March I believe, weather permitting. Everything else is still open, just as you pointed out.

Irv, have to be teed off by 11:30-12:00 to make sure to have enough time to finish?

You do the auto auctions? I've always wanted to go to one, but I'd need to make sure my account was empty before attending! I'm already having to talk myself out of this since we don't have a place to put it (live in Capitol Hill). :(

You do the auto auctions? I've always wanted to go to one, but I'd need to make sure my account was empty before attending! I'm already having to talk myself out of this since we don't have a place to put it (live in Capitol Hill). :(

Yeah Brian, but just normal cars. Not custom or old or exotic or anything. It used to be fun, but the vehicles are so high right now and the auctions charge such outrageous fees it’s getting outlandish. It’s part of the reason I’m getting out after 25 years.

Thanks for chiming in Brett. I played MC the last day before they tarped. It was in pretty decent shape for this time of year, but that last day of the season out there always makes me sad. Still my favorite course in the area (probably because it was the first one I started playing regularly).

In case anyone else was wondering, they'll reopen the first week of March I believe, weather permitting. Everything else is still open, just as you pointed out.

Brian your point conditions looked spot on for this time of year. Lesley who manages MC and I were talking today and she regrets having them do it =) Looking at the weather forecast they have a good week plus of nice weather coming.

DAMN That would be fun!!

Yeah Brian, but just normal cars. Not custom or old or exotic or anything. It used to be fun, but the vehicles are so high right now and the auctions charge such outrageous fees it’s getting outlandish. It’s part of the reason I’m getting out after 25 years.

I figured they were more normal after checking out the site for the auctions. Still seems like it'd be an interesting time. Why are the prices so high these days? Is it a demand thing, or is it that the average transaction price on a new car is $33k+ (insane)?

Do it! That thing would be a beast with an LSx in it!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I figured they were more normal after checking out the site for the auctions. Still seems like it'd be an interesting time. Why are the prices so high these days? Is it a demand thing, or is it that the average transaction price on a new car is $33k+ (insane)?

It is interesting, I enjoy the auction part. Denver for some reason has always been a strong market. I've gone to Dallas, Houston, and Phoenix in the past. Prices seem to be better, but now freight is inching up all the time. Just a few years ago I could get an eight car load hauled for around $3,000. Now I'm lucky to get it for $4,000 and it might take a month or more to get a truck. We explained to two people today that the higher used car prices are a reflection of the crazy prices on new ones now.

150% down with THARR.... A LSX 376 B15.... punch the block to a 427 and then either super charger or turbos. Should put you around 1000Hp... that car looks like it could handle it =_)

Got a late Christmas/early Birthday present from my dad in the mail yesterday.

8ZTNVXy.jpg

I was totally amazed/surprised/blown away. This thing is so nice. Pretty sure it's the Tour Staff bag, and matches my fairway wood/hybrid perfectly. Now I'm regretting selling my 2017 M1.

Realistically, I probably won't actually use it on the course. I like to walk when I play, and I already have a full bag of TaylorMade clubs. Having a staff bag with my name on it, and proceeding to shoot bogey golf would really be something. But it's gorgeous and I'll definitely use it to store spare clubs.

8ZTNVXy.jpg

I was totally amazed/surprised/blown away. This thing is so nice. Pretty sure it's the Tour Staff bag, and matches my fairway wood/hybrid perfectly. Now I'm regretting selling my 2017 M1.

Realistically, I probably won't actually use it on the course. I like to walk when I play, and I already have a full bag of TaylorMade clubs. Having a staff bag with my name on it, and proceeding to shoot bogey golf would really be something. But it's gorgeous and I'll definitely use it to store spare clubs.

What an awesome gift. Even if you don't use it on the course it looks great in the house just holding clubs.

Sweet bag, Jacob... looks awesome. It was a pleasure meeting up yesterday and playing. Thanks for putting up with my hacking around all day. You played great, hope you saved some in the tank for your upcoming tournament trip.

For the rest of the board... don't be fooled by Jacob's "awe shucks, I'm a short hitter and haven't played" routine. First tee, he was talking about being a short hitter, and having a month off and made a couple crummy swings on the tee box. Then for the next 16 holes, from 2-17, he proceeds to smack his 3 wood around 260+ and drop 3 or 4 birdies on me all day! I'm glad we weren't playing for money, or my wallet would've ended up a bunch lighter...

Yeah it was great to get out there and play with you! Had a real fun time, and those 2 guys we were paired with were super fun to play with also. Felt so good to be back out on the course again. We will definitely have to play some more once the weather gets nicer. I wanna check out GVR again in it's prime conditions.

150% down with THARR.... A LSX 376 B15.... punch the block to a 427 and then either super charger or turbos. Should put you around 1000Hp... that car looks like it could handle it =_)

The perfect grocery getter :)

8ZTNVXy.jpg

That looks great! Time for Q-school!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Hit balls on saturday in a T shirt and it felt amazing to be on the course again. More importantly, my shoulder felt really good for the first time since 2016 so I'm hoping the scores can come down a little more this year. Not playing men's club again as it seemed like it was sucking up all my free rounds to play with guys who weren't fun in 5+ hours. Hoping to have some more open days to get out on some casual rounds so I'll try to be better about making it out to some of these meet ups.

Happy 2018 and hit um straight!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Happy New Year!

I made the trip to Club Champion and now have some clubs to sell off. I used to sell off my old sticks at GolfSmith, but those days are gone. Anywhere in Denver that buys used sticks that you like?

Here's to hoping I can hit a few balls today, weather looks great!

Callaway Epic Flash 9* 
Callaway Epic 3W 15*
Titleist 818 H1 19* 
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-iron 2* flat KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Srixon Z785 5-P 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff 1/4inch short
50 SM7 F Grind 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
54, 58 SM7 M Grind  2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Studio Select Laguna 2 33' 2*flat

Happy New Year!

I made the trip to Club Champion and now have some clubs to sell off. I used to sell off my old sticks at GolfSmith, but those days are gone. Anywhere in Denver that buys used sticks that you like?

Here's to hoping I can hit a few balls today, weather looks great!

You can get low balled at PGA Superstore, or if you don't mind online credit, Global Golf has the best trade in values. Right now they have 125 percent credit on trades!