First Round of 2018 - Post it!

BKN1964

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played on New Year's Day at my club. One of our members put together a little tourney he called "Hangover Hundies." Each of 15 of us put up $100 and he paid low net front nine ($75), low net back nine ($75), and low net overall $150. Also paid out $50 closest to the pin on all three par 3's and the rest went into a 1/2 stroke net skins game.

Guys ranged in index from scratch all the way to 15. I started a new job a while back, so I'm only golfing once or twice a week and my index has gone up to 1.5 (the highest it's been in a long, long time).

44 degrees at tee off, but 69 degrees by the time we finished. I shot 73 gross, 71 net in tough conditions and won low net by 5 strokes. Greens were rock hard and 12.5 to 13 on the stimp. This time of year our course is just brutal. Also won a skin for a nice $250 day!

So I got that goin' for me ...

OB...new job = less golf? This is bad math Sir.

I know! Sad!

Tragic!

Will this thread still be running in March?

Hawk you need to update the Av. Steve & Eydie can come back next holiday season! Stay warm Sir.

HaHa - now you have to look at my puppy until I get Masters fever and find some Nicklaus to put in there, probably have said fever in a matter of days!

Wow...the pup is really growing!

- Where

Streamsong Black tips 1/1/2018

- Weather

Horrible, rain/wind/45-55 degrees

- How long since your last round (some of you it will be 1 day :( )

1 week

- How you played vs. how you normally play

10 shots worse (the weather did me in mentally after a birdie on first hole, lol)

- Anything else you want us to know

course is awesome and tough from the back @ 7300 yards :wacko:

Played Saturday for my first 9 of the new year. 6 days since my last 9. Shot a 44, 3 better than the last round. Really struggled from 100 yards and in. My pitching and chipping are terrible, except for a chip in on 6 to save bogey. Short game is going to be the difference in my game this year.

Hoping that being able to play more will ensure that the scores continue in the downward trend. Planning to get 18 in this coming Saturday and if I can also get in another 18 on Sunday. Weather is looking good enough for it, just have to convince the wife.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

The cold has finally left Florida. Got out yesterday after 3 weeks of no golf. Shot 5 over. If it wasn't for the 2 OB shots off the tee which led to doubles, could have been a lot better. Then I went to practice on the range and could not get in any groove. Fat, thin, toe, blah blah. I have problems...

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Not 2018 but 30 and 31 December at Magnolia Course in Disney, shot 77/75 from the back tees, amazing course for sure, have not played in 2018 a bit of a "freeze" going on here in VA...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Always try to get out on New Years Day. Live in Florida!! It was cold (40 degrees),windy and raining and by the 9th hole the rain was coming in sideways so we called it a day. Had not played since just before Xmas. I shot 42 with two 3putts. Overall not bad given the conditions( normally shoot right around 80). Hopefully will get in my 1st full round this week if the rain goes away on Wed.

My first complete round of 2018 was Sunday. Rain stopped play on the first attempt. We finally triggered the rule of three 'Wind, cold and rain' and gave up. Anyway back to Sunday - a so-so score of 96 at Feldon Valley, UK. Actually it shows some evidence of improvement. I'm trying to use the full length swing my instructor has been teaching me and I launched every ball reasonably well (several very well). I was let down by a lot of fades and even a couple of slices off the tee. I lost three balls. If I can score 96 when most of my tee shots are a crap shoot then things are looking up.

Especially since toward the end I worked out where the fade was coming from. My hip turn was going wrong and causing a classic over the top move. I would have figured it out earlier in the round but it was a very cold, very bright day and once again my spectacle lenses darkened too much. I found my baseball cap eventually and that cut out enough glare to lighten them but by then we were on the 12th or 13th hole.

Highlights of my round: On the dogleg par 4 5th - a beautiful 220 yard drive followed by a quite lovely 200 yard 3h that nearly rolled onto the green. The 3h wasn't the best launch but it clearly had backspin as it continued to rise until it was two thirds of the way to the hole then it just dropped down bounced once and stopped.

On the sneaky 11th - a phenomenally well launched 7i screamed up into the sky, over the 'gulch' and slammed into the bank to bounce back and stop a foot from the hole.

On the mischievous 14th - a pretty decent launch with a 7i saw my ball eventually stop two yards from the hole.

So yeah not a bad day. Playing half blind took some of the fun away with me having to ask my partner where over half my shots had gone. But once it warms up that will cease to be a problem.

Round #2 of 2018 in the books.

38-41 for a tidy 79 in the wind.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Nice!!

Torrey South - played with 3 other WRX'ers, great times!

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

With whom?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Nice!!

Torrey South - played with 3 other WRX'ers, great times!

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

With whom?

Scratchswinger, KPH808, Brushie - don't think you know any of them.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Played 6 holes today just to scrape off the rust. First golf of the year as it's been too cold and I've had a chest cold too. Temp about 60 but the course was wet. Actually hit the ball pretty well. Played a couple of balls each hole for practice. My first ball was +1. Hopefully I get in 18 tomorrow. I better as the weather goes down hill for several days.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Got out today for the first round of the year. Played Palm View in McAllen. Weather was perfect (mid-70s with no wind and clear skies). Got paired up with a very nice Canadien couple. Kept it social so I played the forward tees. I had not played in nearly a month, but did a range session last week. Hit 14 greens and shot 71. Still can't figure out the Bermuda, but ball striking was much better than expected.

So after playing 6 holes yesterday, today I got in my first complete round of golf. Shot 78 on a soggy course(lift clean and place). Pretty good considering I bogeyed my first 5 holes. Hit some good solid shots but hit a few fat one's too. Putting was terrible to begin with but improved as the day went on. Ended up with 3 birdies. Good to be able to play again but short lived. Weather going into the crapper again for the next several days. :(

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

First round 2018 At Frankfort Country Club Frankfort Ky.

Last round was 12-21-17

Temp started around 50 with 6 mph of wind, it rose to 61 and blew 16-20 plus

It's a tight course with plenty of OB, I kept it in play, but that was about the only thing I did good. Greens and fairways were down about 20%, and didn't putt well, slower greens. Shot 82 about 4 worse than my avg. at this course. Played it about 6550 71.4/134

The course was wet, so it was all carry today, zero roll.

Played yesterday at Mimosa Hills, Morganton, NC

56* at noon when I started and the first tee box was still frozen. Sunny and a high 67*

Didn't play particularly well, but didn't care after two weeks of polar freeze and being stuck inside. Course was in good condition given our weather of late. Looking at the extended forecast it may be my last round until Sawgrass next month.

First full round was 1/6/2018

Played a few 9 holes since the new year and a day or 2 at the range

Weather was near 70. This was just as the bomb cyclone weather had passed by. Perfect day, nearly no wind and sunny.

Cleveland Heights Golf Course, Lakeland, FL

C side to B side

Shot a 39/36 for a 75

Won our match play 3 and 2

Won the points game at +7

Finally got to play today.

23 holes at Eagle Creek CC in Crittenden, KY. The course was pretty soggy, so the 4th hole was closed. After I finished the course I went back out and played 1,2,3,10,11, and 18 again.

Temperature was around 60 degrees, but started off with a 2-3 club wind. Finally died down after about 7 or 8 holes.

Last round was December 22nd. Seems like forever ago.

I've been fortunate to get a few range sessions in over the past several days (covered and heated stalls). My ball striking was really good, but my short game was really bad, so I played my standard round of bogey golf.

Meant to take some pictures but completely forgot since I was just enjoying being out. Not much to see though: leafless trees, still frozen ponds, and dormant grass.

It was great to be out. Looking at the 10 day forecast, not sure when the next round is going to be.

23 holes at Eagle Creek CC in Crittenden, KY. The course was pretty soggy, so the 4th hole was closed. After I finished the course I went back out and played 1,2,3,10,11, and 18 again.

Temperature was around 60 degrees, but started off with a 2-3 club wind. Finally died down after about 7 or 8 holes.

I've been fortunate to get a few range sessions in over the past several days (covered and heated stalls). My ball striking was really good, but my short game was really bad, so I played my standard round of bogey golf.

Meant to take some pictures but completely forgot since I was just enjoying being out. Not much to see though: leafless trees, still frozen ponds, and dormant grass.

It was great to be out. Looking at the 10 day forecast, not sure when the next round is going to be.

tomorrow early, you don't need to work

1-8-2018

Hidden Valley golf course. Sunny and 50 degrees, no wind. I shot an 82, 42/40. It was my first time out since December 20. I was able to try out a couple of clubs I picked up over the holidays, the jury's still out.

Cobra F-7 driver
Callaway XR16 4w
Callaway FT optiforce 7w
4-pw TaylorMade P-770
Titleist SM6 52f,56m,60l
Cameron Select Newport 2

Tuesday. Highland Meadows in Windsor, CO. A beautiful 60* day. Last round was about middle of December.

Open up with an eight on a reachable par five. Do manage to finish with a 77. I'm satisfied with it for it being the first time seeing the course and being awfully rusty. . Three eagle putts on the day (0 made) helps.

tomorrow early, you don't need to work

Haha! Too bad that's not true.

First round was yesterday.

Willow Lake in Metter GA. Between 60-65 degrees.

Par 71. Shot 76.

Front 9 was good weather and shot even. Back 9 started raining and couldn’t hang. Five over.

Driver was solid. Chipped ok. Putted pretty good. Irons sucked. Missed some greens in horrible places.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]