2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Pebble or Bandon??

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for all the responses. to clear up a few questions/comments:

- we is me and my wife, but she does not play golf. actually she hates golf, but is excited about either to go to a place she hasn't been and to get away from the kids (5 yo and twin 1.5 yo boys) and knows this is my birthday, i get to do what i want.

- i'm not glitz, champagne, etc... i'm microbrew and meatloaf, but yeah, seeing pebble on tv, and also hearing stories about spyglass had me more interested

my wife and i have never been to oregon, so going to bandon checks another state off for us, where as we have both been to the bay area in california, but obviously pebble is different. i'm looking now at the option of flying to bandon, but driving to portland and spending a day in portland and flying home from portland.

one comment, availability, after looking into that, the weekend of my birthday pebble is not available. while i could go a week later, and at this point in my life what is one more week, bandon appears to be available that week, so that is a plus.

thanks for all the feedback.

looking to go on a golf trip for 40th birthday and get away from the kids. debating between a few days at pebble or a few days at bandon. if pebble, i would play pebble, spyglass and spanish bay, but would not likely stay at the resort. if bandon, would play bandon dunes, pacific dunes and bandon trails. without factoring the cost of the golf itself, what are people's opinion of the two options. we would be going in early june, so weather should be awesome for both, not sure how that plays in to how busy either is though.

appreciate your comments.

i would suggest not staying at the resort for either option. i have been to both and did not stay at the resort at either and was extremely happy with my decision. PM me if you want some recos on where to stay/eat at either.

- we is me and my wife, but she does not play golf. actually she hates golf, but is excited about either to go to a place she hasn't been and to get away from the kids (5 yo and twin 1.5 yo boys) and knows this is my birthday, i get to do what i want.

- i'm not glitz, champagne, etc... i'm microbrew and meatloaf, but yeah, seeing pebble on tv, and also hearing stories about spyglass had me more interested

my wife and i have never been to oregon, so going to bandon checks another state off for us, where as we have both been to the bay area in california, but obviously pebble is different. i'm looking now at the option of flying to bandon, but driving to portland and spending a day in portland and flying home from portland.

one comment, availability, after looking into that, the weekend of my birthday pebble is not available. while i could go a week later, and at this point in my life what is one more week, bandon appears to be available that week, so that is a plus.

if your wife is not a golfer, i would highly suggest not going to bandon. there is close to nothing to do at the resort. no pool, no spa, nada. and its in the middle of nowhere with the closest town of bandon 10 minutes away and its basically a 2 stoplight town. you can do vineyards on the way down from portland (Willamette Valley is awesome) but that adds days to the trip.

also, if you do pebble, i would suggest playing other courses in the nearby area instead of spanish bay. spyglass is worth it but i would spend a day on the way down from SF to play Pasatiempo instead of playing spanish bay. black horse & bayonet are also awesome choices as well.

if your wife is not a golfer, i would highly suggest not going to bandon. there is close to nothing to do at the resort. no pool, no spa, nada. and its in the middle of nowhere with the closest town of bandon 10 minutes away and its basically a 2 stoplight town. you can do vineyards on the way down from portland (Willamette Valley is awesome) but that adds days to the trip.

also, if you do pebble, i would suggest playing other courses in the nearby area instead of spanish bay. spyglass is worth it but i would spend a day on the way down from SF to play Pasatiempo instead of playing spanish bay. black horse & bayonet are also awesome choices as well.

Agreed 1000% do not even consider Bandon.

Bandon is GREAT for a group of guys.

Unless your wife is an avid golfer Bandon is not for couples.

I am not a Bandon hater (I go there annually) but for a couple where only one is a golfer, Bandon is not the resort to go to.

An option to consider for Bandon if the wife is going is fly into Portland and spend a day here. The wife will enjoy it and Portland that time of year is amazing.

Drive down to Bandon and have her spend the first night. Once on property you won’t need a car. If you are staying 3 days at Bandon let her take the car 2 of the days and just drive up the coast. She will see some of the most beautiful coastline. Have her drive up to Salishan and spend a night at the hotel and a day at the spa. They have an amazing spa. Tell her to take her time and stop in the little towns and get out and walk around. She will really enjoy. Then drive back and spend the last night at Bandon.

My wife and I actually went there the first time I went while we drove from Portland to Pebble. She loves that Bandon is my yearly trip. She knows it’s about golf and i’m Not going to goof off and do something stupid.

Pacific Dunes IMO is the best public course in the country and I am not sure there is a lot of debate if you have played everything you would compare it to.

Pebble Beach is a great experience but one of those experiences you can do once and walk away satisfied. Pacific Dunes you play once and you instantly want to play there every day for the rest of your life. Bandon isn’t glitzy like Pebble- it’s not fancy it’s just pure golf.

Not to say anything disparaging about Mr. Fay- but if you throw Cypress Point and Monterey Peninsula into the equation then I think the arguement would certainly point in the direction of the Monterey courses, but as it stands Bandon is the stronger location.

i take issue with the egregious fleecing of your wallet that takes place at pebble. although bandon certainly isn't exactly cheap anymore....and really, they've gotten so expensive i'll go somewhere else next time...like f****** Scotland/Ireland for what Bandon costs.

if your wife is going though...go to PB.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Nothing against Bandon Dunes, but If you're taking your wife I would say Pebble but I'm biased as my wife and I spend a lot of time on the Monterey Peninsula. There's so many things that your wife could do while your golfing that I'm sure that she'd be really happy. And for those that say that you have to eat at Roy's or some of the other expensive Pebble restaurants and drop some big dollars, they obviously don't know about all of the other restaurants in Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel with excellent food and the prices won't break the bank.

There must be something to be said about Pebble as they've hosted 5 US Opens, 1 PGA Championship and will host the US Amateur in 2018, the US Open in 2019, the Women's US Open in 2023 and the US Open in 2027.

Jack Nicklaus quote "IF I ONLY HAD ONE MORE ROUND TO PLAY, I WOULD CHOOSE TO PLAY IT AT PEBBLE BEACH.”

I think it's the wife that is the wild card. My wife would prefer Bandon to Monterey but she likes sleepy Oregon coastal towns and quiet beaches etc more than the glitz of Monterey. I know most are the opposite. You won't go wrong w the golf either way i personally prefer Bandon (if given 10 rounds between Bandon courses and the public Monterey courses I probably would play them all at Bandon) its raw links golf where as Monterey is something else but also very special.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I would do BANDON all day long....

That said since you note "WE" is the Wife and I think I would see what she would prefer. Apparently FairwayFred's wife and mine as similar as she would do Bandon 10 times over Pebble. She loves the little towns and less "upscale" aspects, upscale is just not here style. As I like to say she is "Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup" girl on a cold night.

I would do BANDON all day long....

That said since you note "WE" is the Wife and I think I would see what she would prefer. Apparently FairwayFred's wife and mine as similar as she would do Bandon 10 times over Pebble. She loves the little towns and less "upscale" aspects, upscale is just not here style. As I like to say she is "Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup" girl on a cold night.

If I asked my wife to choose she would say, " what! You want me to go on a golf trip with you? Are you freakin nuts? Go ask one of your friends!"

I was lucky enough to get to do both about two months apart.

I liked Pebble Beach the most as one course.

But I had to play it with three guys that were celebrating a 50th birthday.

They all went to Kellogg to get their MBA.

They admitted they hadn't played golf in years.

Two of the guys had persimmon woods.

Unfortunately, I had to play one of my best rounds of my life at Pebble (4 birdies, 76) with guys that were probably annoyed that I was reading puts, etc.

That said, they were great, interesting guys.

One was a nightly host for one of the world's major news organizations....which was cool.

We actually had dinner and drinks following the round and he dished on some political inside baseball.

I also would say the Pebble has one of the best 4-5 hole stretches in the world. After that, pretty boring until 18.

Bandon was completely different, and better.

Played with great guys, and very great golfers.

The guys that couldn't play at a high level at least knew and respected the game.

They were there to golf.

Since you suggested an entire trip - the answer is clearly Bandon. All 4 courses are memorable.

There are many great reasons why so many people disagree on the best course at Bandon.

There isn't much debate on the best public course near Monterey (Pebble). But I actually enjoyed Spyglass, too. 1-5 are amazing holes.

actually i think the best course is universally regarded as Cypress Point, not Pebble.

He specifically said public. Unfortunately most people can't get on Cypress. If Cypress and Monterey Peninsula CC were an option the discussion would be different.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

actually i think the best course is universally regarded as Cypress Point, not Pebble.

He specifically said public. Unfortunately most people can't get on Cypress. If Cypress and Monterey Peninsula CC were an option the discussion would be different.

Not to David Fay lol. I'm just curious, if Cypress and MPCC were public-accessible, how many of the previous posters would change their minds? Not trying to criticize anyone I'm just flat-out interested in the opinions of fellow Wrx'ers.

Not to David Fay lol. I'm just curious, if Cypress and MPCC were public-accessible, how many of the previous posters would change their minds? Not trying to criticize anyone I'm just flat-out interested in the opinions of fellow Wrx'ers.

if that were the case I would take Cypress oner Pebble

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Fair enough I missed the David Fay quote.

Personally I'd still goto Bandon over Monterey but it's alot closer in that case. The conditions at Bandon are just much more to my liking I can play real links golf w the ball on the ground etc.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

For me money would always be an object but for some not so. Considering that you can play 36 in a day for cheaper than 18 at Pebble I would still probably go Bandon. I can’t imagine Cypress and MPCC would be much cheaper than Pebble.

That said I still think you should do both over time but as of now Bandon is a more enjoyable trip for me. Our trip to Pebble we stayed on the course at Woods Hole, which was awesome. But we played Pacific Grove, Del Monte, Spyglass and Spanish Bay for the price of a single round at Pebble.

Unfortunately, I had to play one of my best rounds of my life at Pebble (4 birdies, 76) with guys that were probably annoyed that I was reading puts, etc.

One was a nightly host for one of the world's major news organizations....which was cool.

We actually had dinner and drinks following the round and he dished on some political inside baseball.

I also would say the Pebble has one of the best 4-5 hole stretches in the world. After that, pretty boring until 18.

The guys that couldn't play at a high level at least knew and respected the game.

They were there to golf.

Since you suggested an entire trip - the answer is clearly Bandon. All 4 courses are memorable.

There are many great reasons why so many people disagree on the best course at Bandon.

There isn't much debate on the best public course near Monterey (Pebble). But I actually enjoyed Spyglass, too. 1-5 are amazing holes.

spyglass Hill 1-5 are the best opening holes in golf. Period. For ANY course. It’s not even close. Coming out of the chute of trees on 1 is zen.

They were there to golf.

spyglass Hill 1-5 are the best opening holes in golf. Period. For ANY course. It’s not even close. Coming out of the chute of trees on 1 is zen.

I think the opening stretch at Spyglass is the most over rated stretch in golf. It gets a lot of love but imo it's because the rest of the course is so forgettable. 4 is a pretty good unique hole but the others are completely average other than the ocean setting.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I have taken both of these trips with the wife. She is a trooper, and loves to travel anywhere, but only golfs in private at the home club. I have to admit that when we go to pebble we stay at the alvorada building at the Lodge that runs parallell to the 18th fairway, so my view is skewed... or should I say ideal. My first trip to pebble was on my 40th bday as well. 10 times out of 10 my wife would prefer pebble. She can sit on the back patio and watch still water cove all day reading a book and be happy. No such accomodations at bandon. Since I prefer to travel with her, I too prefer going to pebble, as we both have extremely busy lives and dont get much time away. In the multiple trips I have taken to both locations here is the truth of the matter:

For a getaway with a wife for world class golf and relaxation with no budget thoughts Pebble is the best location of the two, and it really isnt close

For a pure golf experience, man vs the elements vs world class golf with no frills and one goal, and to come home worn out in the best possible sense, Bandon is your best location and it really isnt close.

Just for cost, two similar 4 night stays including everything at peak season:

Lodge PB= 8K (roughly)

Bandon= 3k (roughly)

They were there to golf.

I think the opening stretch at Spyglass is the most over rated stretch in golf. It gets a lot of love but imo it's because the rest of the course is so forgettable. 4 is a pretty good unique hole but the others are completely average other than the ocean setting.

You can say that about pebble beach. Save the ocean holes it’s meh

Spyglass destroys pebble beach in every way except history. The inland holes aren’t forgettable imo. They’re just different.

They were there to golf.

spyglass Hill 1-5 are the best opening holes in golf. Period. For ANY course. It's not even close. Coming out of the chute of trees on 1 is zen.

I respect we have our own opinions that is fine...but if 1-3 at spyglass are completley average, I want to golf in your world. #1 at spyglass is a world class hole with fantastic views coming down the hill to boot. Finishing holes on both sides are average, but not every other hole but 4 IMO.

They were there to golf.

You can say that about pebble beach. Save the ocean holes it’s meh

Spyglass destroys pebble beach in every way except history. The inland holes aren’t forgettable imo. They’re just different.

I would also say that about Pebble. Except for the ocean holes it's meh. But it's got a lot more ocean holes than Spyglass and those ocean holes are a lot better imo. Pebble is much better than Spyglass imo. Spyglass is an average Robert Trent Jones course where the first few holes have a great setting.

The inland holes are totally forgettable imo and remind me of just about every other RTJ course I've played.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

They were there to golf.

spyglass Hill 1-5 are the best opening holes in golf. Period. For ANY course. It's not even close. Coming out of the chute of trees on 1 is zen.

I respect we have our own opinions that is fine...but if 1-3 at spyglass are completley average, I want to golf in your world. #1 at spyglass is a world class hole with fantastic views coming down the hill to boot. Finishing holes on both sides are average, but not every other hole but 4 IMO.

To me 1 is an average downhill par 5 w a great view. Other than the view nothing world class about the hole. 2 is an average uphill par 4 with not a lot going on, 3 and 5 are just typical boring RTJ par 3s other than the setting. 4 is a neat hole but the rest of the course doesn't do anything for me other than the views on the first few holes.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Where to start (question mark) I guess since this is a comparison thread of Pebble/Bandon (semi-colon) actually Bandon's first 5 holes is a 'better' opening stretch than Spyglass (comma) IMHO it is not even close (period) ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.