Headcovers? Honestly? Headcovers?!

While it makes no real sense to me... it appears to be the case that people with highly available disposable income are willing to pay more for something that it is worth for no reason other than they can afford to do so and illogically enough the gratification of ownership of an item to them is more valuable than the money itself.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A basic question in my mind is; How expensive is too expensive? I think it's foolish to pay big $$$ for a putter, let alone a putter cover. Golf course lost and found boxes world-wide are littered with them. When you frequent thrift stores, or just have been around a while, you see so many different putters and golf club designs, and most of them go in cycles. What makes one better than another? Certainly not price alone or the name stamped on the side. Don't they all come from China anyway?

I find it interesting that I can afford to own certain clubs now only because I find them at thrifts and estate sales. And sooner than later I fall out of love with the clubs that are no longer shiny and new. It didn't take very long for my "new" Adams Irons that I just had to have to look old and tired, and I have cleaned them every time I have played them! Now I am selling them, so I guess the money I will lose was truly "disposable income".

I find that phrase, "disposable income", kind of ironic. I understand what it means, but think it's a really bad term. It could be unaccounted for income, or it could be a credit card calling the shots. Years ago I made that mistake on a set of graphite shafted whiz-bang irons I just had to have. Put them on plastic and ended up getting rid of them before I had paid for them. Access to too easy credit could be the reason people buy expensive stuff like SC putters and covers.

Now that I have attained the age of qualifying for the senior discount at certain places, I find myself often shaking my head at the price of stuff in general and the things people (and I myself) spend money on. Seems like there is always money in this world for stupid stuff and unimportant things like stadiums and such, but not for the really important things.

But hey, if someone wants to have the gold-plated club or signature putter with the velvet cover, then by all means, go for it. I am personally gratified to be collecting Wilson golf clubs from all eras and the satisfaction of ownership is part of the equation for me, no doubt. But I can't help thinking that someone is being taken advantage of in some way when a golf club can cost more than some people make in a weeks worth of work, and wonder where the benefit to society is, as a whole, from cheap manufacturing. Seems to me that if the products are made with inexpensive labor the consumer ought to benefit from that.

Sorry for the rant...

Baaaawaaaahaaa! Ha!

Is acquiring multiple of multiples golf clubs "dumb stuff"? Asking for a friend.

I think I know this person too! (He says looking in the virtual mirror...) :blush:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just think of how many Antique, Vintage, and / or Classic sets we can buy for less than the cost of that S.C. Headcover!

Yes, you can spend your money however you please. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to point and laugh...

:rofl:

feel free to do the same.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Ok here is the story of Par Ace as I remember it.

That company was started in the 70s by a guy named Jack Pace who we called Jerry. Now Jerry's uncle owned the golf course that my old man ran. In fact Jerry worked under my old man for a while. He left there and went to work as the district rep for Ram and was really successful. He branched out and started Par Ace. He was pretty smart. The first Karsten 1s he had cloned were real close to the real thing and Ping sued him but Ping lost somehow. That set you have in the picture are the 2nd generation ones. The emblem in the middle was a sort of compromise. He also had some company overseas that made gloves with the Par Ace emblem on them. He also cloned putters. If you can find a Par Ace 8802 clone that is a good putter. I somewhat credit him for getting the whole clone business started. They also cloned the popular Armour 845 CB irons. I built a bunch of the 845 clones back in the day. When I was in that area I used to buy all of my shafts and grips from them. I do not know if Jerry is still living If he is he would have to be in his late 70s or mid 80s. The last I heard his sons were still running the business. All of this was in Charlotte NC

Stu:

I now live just south of Charlotte, across the South Carolina state line. I rememeber Jack Pace Golf from my PGA professional days in West Virginia. If I remember correctly, they sold mostly component heads, shafts, grips, and club repair supplies. Seems like they were located on Shamrock Drive in Charlotte.

It was exactly Executive Drive off the Plaza in Charlotte now that I remember. And yes you did remember correctly as to what they sold

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I wash my $5000 putter cover in my fur-lined sink, and think nothing of it...

ROTFLMAO!!!! I really do not care what someone else does. I guess it is no different from some of us poor folks collecting rusty golf clubs. Of course our "hobby" is cheaper. Now sometimes when browsing on here you will see posts of someone's putter covers and usually they are displayed nicely. I do enjoy looking at their stuff though. Now remember I have always said I flat refuse to game a putter I have to use a cover on. I was at a local independantly owned golf shop the other day and I know the guys well. One of them threw me a Scotty Cover and told me "here put this on that Rusty POS of yours" Come to find out some customer threw it away because the velcro had went bad. Took it home and fixed it by cutting the velcro off an old glove. Actually I cut the velcro off of old worn out gloves (yeah I am a pack rat) and save it in one of my parts drawers. Glued it in with E-6000 glue and clamped it let it dry. It works fine now. It is one of those stock gray covers with the 3 red circles on top. Not a real expensive collectors item but a Scotty cover nevertheless. The customer had bought one of the collectable covers and did not want the "stock" one. And no I am not gaming it but it is on "Rusty" while he is on rest break in the special bag in the front room

A basic question in my mind is; How expensive is too expensive? I think it's foolish to pay big $$$ for a putter, let alone a putter cover. Golf course lost and found boxes world-wide are littered with them. When you frequent thrift stores, or just have been around a while, you see so many different putters and golf club designs, and most of them go in cycles. What makes one better than another? Certainly not price alone or the name stamped on the side. Don't they all come from China anyway?

I find it interesting that I can afford to own certain clubs now only because I find them at thrifts and estate sales. And sooner than later I fall out of love with the clubs that are no longer shiny and new. It didn't take very long for my "new" Adams Irons that I just had to have to look old and tired, and I have cleaned them every time I have played them! Now I am selling them, so I guess the money I will lose was truly "disposable income".

I find that phrase, "disposable income", kind of ironic. I understand what it means, but think it's a really bad term. It could be unaccounted for income, or it could be a credit card calling the shots. Years ago I made that mistake on a set of graphite shafted whiz-bang irons I just had to have. Put them on plastic and ended up getting rid of them before I had paid for them. Access to too easy credit could be the reason people buy expensive stuff like SC putters and covers.

Now that I have attained the age of qualifying for the senior discount at certain places, I find myself often shaking my head at the price of stuff in general and the things people (and I myself) spend money on. Seems like there is always money in this world for stupid stuff and unimportant things like stadiums and such, but not for the really important things.

But hey, if someone wants to have the gold-plated club or signature putter with the velvet cover, then by all means, go for it. I am personally gratified to be collecting Wilson golf clubs from all eras and the satisfaction of ownership is part of the equation for me, no doubt. But I can't help thinking that someone is being taken advantage of in some way when a golf club can cost more than some people make in a weeks worth of work, and wonder where the benefit to society is, as a whole, from cheap manufacturing. Seems to me that if the products are made with inexpensive labor the consumer ought to benefit from that.

Sorry for the rant...

I really would not classify that as a rant. You simply told the honest no holds barred truth on how many of us think and feel to a tee. Actually it was a great synopsis of how most of us classic club hoes think and act.

• 4 months later...

What an insane corner of the golfing world.

No different than the BITCOIN / Cryptocurrency, or some of the price for equity share. The Market Maker had been successful in creating a narrow market to let the unwary drop in the net before the Market Makers collect their profit and leave the unwary wondering what happened.

The artificially created demand for something which is not lacking the supply is........ a scam. My wife sometimes complain of why did we pull out of the equity market and watched the price soaring........ That remind me of the license plate on a yacht one time - FUNNY MONEY.

As for the head covers, I always use head covers for transporting golf clubs, may that be in the trunk of the car or strapped on the back of a golf cart.

My woods will have covers on them because I don't like to see the dint and scratches from the friction between golf clubs. Iron head covers ? That'll be for some old forged blades to preserve them for a longer playable time.

• 2 weeks later...

People with Bitcoin are like vegans; within twenty minutes of meeting them, they're telling you about it.

Just people craving volatility which then creates it. And people with something to hide. Free rocket-launcher with every purchase.

Yes, we take Bitcoin. That'll be ten, please... I mean, twenty... eight... a hundred... two.

• 1 year later...

I leave my MacGregor covers at home when playing vintage clubs otherwise they get nicked. Thieves on the golf course? you wouldn't believe it.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• 2 months later...

I played 845's since they were introduced. years back I bought a dozen, new old stock Tommy Armour blade style putter covers to fit my Ping Ansers. they cost me about $20 for the lot.

figured no one would bother to give my bag a second look. I got about three sets of TA wood covers for the same reason.

whatever newer driver or fairways I moved up to, kept the same old covers until the heads got too large to fit.

bought striped knitted toppers about ten years ago. lose one, no one turns those in either.

when we went to Hilton Head last month , TSA even lost one of those...

like BigStu, got a Scotty cover from a pal that the velcro wore out - so I fixed it but was kind of afraid to use it.

at some courses people are just too frisky with other folks equipment.

I remember 'losing' a really nice US Open leather bag tag between the bag drop and the first tee at a upscale course.

now I keep the bag just decent enough to not look like a hobo.

for souvenirs now I just buy ball markers.

nobody really gives a hoot what logos are on headcovers anyway and I have enough hats.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> I played 845's since they were introduced. years back I bought a dozen, new old stock Tommy Armour blade style putter covers to fit my Ping Ansers. they cost me about $20 for the lot.

> figured no one would bother to give my bag a second look. I got about three sets of TA wood covers for the same reason.

> whatever newer driver or fairways I moved up to, kept the same old covers until the heads got too large to fit.

> bought striped knitted toppers about ten years ago. lose one, no one turns those in either.

> when we went to Hilton Head last month , TSA even lost one of those...

> like BigStu, got a Scotty cover from a pal that the velcro wore out - so I fixed it but was kind of afraid to use it.

> at some courses people are just too frisky with other folks equipment.

> I remember 'losing' a really nice US Open leather bag tag between the bag drop and the first tee at a upscale course.

> now I keep the bag just decent enough to not look like a hobo.

> for souvenirs now I just buy ball markers.

> nobody really gives a hoot what logos are on headcovers anyway and I have enough hats.

>

>

>

>

>

>

LOL personally I like the "Hobo look" or "Salvation Army look" as one of my buds calls it. It does not draw any attention in the wrong ways. In the past few years I have gotten away from staff bags even though I have a few. I either use my old Jones Classic which is well worn or a non descript old school Burton Mini Staff. No one pays me any attention that way. Besides it is the Rebel anti establishment thing in me like riding clapped out primered Rat bike Harleys before Rat bikes and Rat Rods were cool.

One of the great advantages of working at a golf course -- besides free golf -- is that at the end of the season you get to pick through the unclaimed items in the lost and found pile. Believe me there is quite a pile, in fact it usually gets cleaned out a couple of times a year, particularly for the soft goods. Most of my headcovers that I use have come from said pile over the years as used clubs are often sold sans headcover; not always, but often. Hence as @"BIG STU" describes the _Sally Ann_ look, especially when topping off and nondescript bag with boring colourways.

I'm just stunned at what gets left behind anymore. This year alone we had a mixed half set of TM Burner 2.0 irons in the club barrel as well as a recent TM driver and a bunch of good conforming wedges. If folks call saying that they've lost a club and we have it we put it aside with their name and phone number, but almost never do they call. It's unreal actually! Are they just that clued out or do they not give two hoots, a sort of easy come easy go attitude? I've procured far more good useful clubs by this method than at any thrift in this neck of the woods.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> One of the great advantages of working at a golf course -- besides free golf -- is that at the end of the season you get to pick through the unclaimed items in the lost and found pile. Believe me there is quite a pile, in fact it usually gets cleaned out a couple of times a year, particularly for the soft goods. Most of my headcovers that I use have come from said pile over the years as used clubs are often sold sans headcover; not always, but often. Hence as @"BIG STU" describes the _Sally Ann_ look, especially when topping off and nondescript bag with boring colourways.

>

> I'm just stunned at what gets left behind anymore. This year alone we had a mixed half set of TM Burner 2.0 irons in the club barrel as well as a recent TM driver and a bunch of good conforming wedges. If folks call saying that they've lost a club and we have it we put it aside with their name and phone number, but almost never do they call. It's unreal actually! Are they just that clued out or do they not give two hoots, a sort of easy come easy go attitude? I've procured far more good useful clubs by this method than at any thrift in this neck of the woods.

You think it is bad in your area you ought to go to this Tourist Mecca----- People leave stuff all the time and go home. When they get sober they can not think where they lost it--- Now my course will mail back items such as clubs if the owner has an address label on them at no charge. Most stuff does not get claimed. I ended up with a lot of non conforming Cleveland and Vokey wedges that way. A lot of the stuff including covers gets sold cheap by the cart barn guys to a guy I know in the business down the street. what is funny people will strip their bags of tees and balls to save airline money on weight. First thing they do when they fly in is hit the big box stores for balls and tees. On their last day they give the excess to the cart barn guys. Bag drop and cart barn guys get more free stuff down here than most club pros get from the manufacturers

• 1 year later...