An Eight Club Golf Bag

Sean2

Did this all summer. I was working away from homelands week, joined a club next to hotel on a five day membership.

I used

3 wood, three hybrid, 5,7,9,SW(54) and putter

Didn’t give it another thought and scored as well or as badly as normal.

If I was to do it again this summer I will go 3w, 4h, 6,8,PW, LW

The bag is the most important thing. All you need is balls, tees, gloves, nutrition.

Once you start with waterproofs and spare jumper etc you are defeating the objective _ maybe on reflection it’s a fai weather thing.

I honestly doubt I’d be able to function if I carried the full bag.

Glad to hear that. I have a very light weight bag as well, which helps. Plus, I don't carry anything in the bag I don't absolutely need.

The Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag is light, will carry enough clubs, and will hold a rain jacket if needs be:

https://shop.sunmoun...328-detail.html

Totally agree ... using a lightweight bag with only the essentials makes for an enjoyable walk. Jones original in my case, but the SM 2.5 is an excellent choice as well.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

Anyone here watch the Rick Shiels video where he played an entire round with nothing but a 7 iron? Including putting and all. He shot a low score for crying out loud! Proof positive that a good swing, distance control and a little creativity can go a long way towards a decent score.

He also did it on St Anne's old links.... That's some course and very tough! One of the best I've played

I'm down to 13 clubs at the moment, was thinking of going to 12 next time I change my wedges. Much respect to those that can score playing with 8 clubs. Sound like a revolution! Much cheaper as well.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

Been playing 8 clubs as well... driver,19 deg hybrid, 5,7,9,Pw, sw and putter. All in a moonlight bag. Never had so much fun and still score the same...

Hey! How about that: another minimalist golfer with a Ping moonlite carry bag from La Belle Province.

Congrats on making your first-ever post on GolfWrx, too.

Been playing 8 clubs as well... driver,19 deg hybrid, 5,7,9,Pw, sw and putter. All in a moonlight bag. Never had so much fun and still score the same...

PING Moonlite bag is the bomb. I have the red one. ?

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I love playing a minimalist bag. The only problem I run into is my longest iron or hybrid. This is most usually a 4i or 4h.

I am comfortable playing a 3/4 6i, 8i or PW to dial in the distance but have trouble doing the same with a 4i or 4h. The trajectory is usually too low

For me, choking up can only take but 10 yards off and I sometimes need to take more off than that.

Anyone else?

I love playing a minimalist bag. The only problem I run into is my longest iron or hybrid. This is most usually a 4i or 4h.

I am comfortable playing a 3/4 6i, 8i or PW to dial in the distance but have trouble doing the same with a 4i or 4h. The trajectory is usually too low

For me, choking up can only take but 10 yards off and I sometimes need to take more off than that.

Anyone else?

Fellow minimalist here ... I go from a 22*H to my 5i, so my gap may be little less than yours. To take some off the hybrid, I will first choke up; and if I need to take a bit more off, I'll just take a slightly shorter backswing.

Anyone else?

Fellow minimalist here ... I go from a 22*H to my 5i, so my gap may be little less than yours. To take some off the hybrid, I will first choke up; and if I need to take a bit more off, I'll just take a slightly shorter backswing.

I like your set up. I am leaning towards using a driver this year or a 913FD that has been in my bag a while that is a mini driver for me.

I am have done a 5,7,9 set up before but missed my PW, which I feel is a very versatile club for me from 85 to 130 yards. So this year I am leaning to a 6,8,PW set up.

I also am looking to carry a 58* to use out of the sand and those times I short side myself.

How did you come to use a 50* and your highest loft?

Every year our league has a 2 club and a putter day. Most guys shoot within just a few strokes of their handicap. Last year I shot 2 over (38) with a 7 Wood and a 9 iron. Won low gross but no skins (dangit). 7 pars, 2 bogies.

If everyone reading this took out the 6 clubs they hit the worst, I'll bet dollars to donuts their scores would either not change, or most likely improve.

Think about it, if you take out the even (or odd) numbered irons, a wedge, and gave up a fairway wood or hybrid or two could you still get around your course?

As added bonus, if you did that for several rounds, your shot making, game plan and creativity would greatly improve.

X________________________________ Sign Here

I’ve posted in other minimalist threads but over the past two years have played the majority of my rounds with 8 or 9 clubs. Typically I use a driver, 7 wood, 5.7.9. Gap and Sand wedge and a putter. I also tried several different combinations of this with a half dozen different sets of irons. My index went down 0.3 over this time (6.3 currently). I’ve enjoyed the rounds, especially the 9 hole rounds carrying my bag like I did as a kid.

I think your score comes down to keeping the ball in play off the tee, not having a bunch of penalty strokes, and chipping/putting. I am not good enough to consistently swing an 8 iron the same way every time, and it has been fun not always trying to hit a “stock” iron shot on every swing. It is liberating playing with a half set. I’d encourage everyone to try it in 2018.

drn92

I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.

I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.

Anyone else?

I like your set up. I am leaning towards using a driver this year or a 913FD that has been in my bag a while that is a mini driver for me.

I am have done a 5,7,9 set up before but missed my PW, which I feel is a very versatile club for me from 85 to 130 yards. So this year I am leaning to a 6,8,PW set up.

I also am looking to carry a 58* to use out of the sand and those times I short side myself.

How did you come to use a 50* and your highest loft?

Good question ... I hadn't used a very high lofted wedge in a long time, and 54* was my highest. When I decided to go minimalist, I felt that the odd numbered irons worked best for my game, which meant skipping the PW. I use the 50* a lot and can hit a wide variety of shots with it and it somewhat negated the need to carry the 54 as an extra club. That said, I will likely swap out the 50 with a 52 when the SM7s are released which will give me a touch more loft around the greens, yet let me flight it down as needed.

I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.

I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.

Good question. I don't think I have heard of anyone playing tournaments with a minimalist bag.

I don't play in any sanctioned tournaments. At the same time, I can score just as well with the minimalist kit and am just as confident/competitive in our leagues. If I were to play in a more meaningful tournament, I'd have to decide whether to take a full set (probably) or stay with what I've grown comfortable with ... hmmm ... dunno.

Good question. I don't think I have heard of anyone playing tournaments with a minimalist bag.

I played in a scramble yesterday with 8 clubs. We won. I was in unusual (for me) positions since we had to use tee shots from each member, but the bag worked out fine. Not sure if a scramble counts as a tournament here, but I'd actually be more confident with the 8 club bag in a stroke play event. I have a match play club championship coming up and my 8 club bag stands.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I played in a scramble yesterday with 8 clubs. We won. I was in unusual (for me) positions since we had to use tee shots from each member, but the bag worked out fine. Not sure if a scramble counts as a tournament here, but I'd actually be more confident with the 8 club bag in a stroke play event. I have a match play club championship coming up and my 8 club bag stands.

Awesome! Good luck in your next tournament!

Anyone here watch the Rick Shiels video where he played an entire round with nothing but a 7 iron? Including putting and all. He shot a low score for crying out loud! Proof positive that a good swing, distance control and a little creativity can go a long way towards a decent score.

He also did it on St Anne's old links.... That's some course and very tough! One of the best I've played

Good golf course. I played it years ago and really enjoyed it. I have never gotten as wet before or since though. We could see the rain coming from miles away.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

I play with 8 clubs pretty often, just to have a lighter bag. As long as I have my driver, one hybrid, and on the other end my putter and favourite wedge, it doesn’t matter if I have a full set of irons, just the odd or just the even numbers, I score and play the same. It could be different if your course has very hard and fast greens and you have to come in as steeply as possible to hold a green.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

i play half a bag for every round from basically november until march. we go to temporary greens, and i'm just out there to have fun and get some exercise more than anything. i think it does help you work on your touch and shotmaking as well.

i've probably only played 4 real rounds with half a bag this year before we went to temporary greens...only a couple shots worse than normal. the tough part for me comes in the wedges, since i only carry two to start with. PW/58 or 9i/52 are my options.

i especially love shooting in the 70s and taking people's money with half a bag.....that's the best.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I have been using 5 for the last 5 years and have no plans to change.

What five clubs have you chosen?

I will have to experiment a bit to see what works best:

Dr, 7-wood, 6, 8, PW, SW, LW, P, or,

Dr, 3-wood, 5 hybrid, 7, 9, AW, LW, P

Heck, 5 clubs would be grand! Might even try that.

I like having 2 longish clubs and 2 short plus a putter. Right now I go 3h,4I,8I,aw,putter.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

No ones mentioned it but how many of you would use the driver off the deck ala Fowler style when doing the minimalist bag?

I've done it once but not something I'd plan on doing regularly with my newish big fat driver head..

Some of the older Callaway GBB drivers would be perfect for that role... ;)

I keep looking for a deal on a mini driver that I would definitely try off the deck. 12 degree might be sporty, but the 14 would work in a pinch.

drn92