An Eight Club Golf Bag

Sean2

I find myself 'between clubs' often when playing a full set. In addition to keeping the ball in play and making putts, hitting your iron shots close to the hole is the way to score low. So I see both sides...More clubs (full set) gives you the best chance to be accurate. While carrying less clubs is easier (lighter) and gives you a chance to work on different length shots from the same club. I think it is more challenging scoring low with less clubs. A challenge can be fun.

Fun fact: Chick Evans won the 1916 US Open with 7 clubs in his bag. The norm back then was around 20.

15 years later someone asked Bobby Jones what he thought about Evans winning the US Open with only 7 clubs in his bag. Jones’ quote is one of my all time favorites.

“It’s better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14.”

I have been using 5 for the last 5 years and have no plans to change.

What five clubs have you chosen?

I will have to experiment a bit to see what works best:

Dr, 7-wood, 6, 8, PW, SW, LW, P, or,

Dr, 3-wood, 5 hybrid, 7, 9, AW, LW, P

Heck, 5 clubs would be grand! Might even try that.

I like having 2 longish clubs and 2 short plus a putter. Right now I go 3h,4I,8I,aw,putter.

That is some precision golf right there.

No ones mentioned it but how many of you would use the driver off the deck ala Fowler style when doing the minimalist bag?

I've done it once but not something I'd plan on doing regularly with my newish big fat driver head..

Some of the older Callaway GBB drivers would be perfect for that role... ;)

I wouldn't use the driver off the deck, but yes with older models you could as they were about the size of today's 3-woods. lol

Fun fact: Chick Evans won the 1916 US Open with 7 clubs in his bag. The norm back then was around 20.

15 years later someone asked Bobby Jones what he thought about Evans winning the US Open with only 7 clubs in his bag. Jones' quote is one of my all time favorites.

"It's better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14."

Lol! Great quote. :-)

No ones mentioned it but how many of you would use the driver off the deck ala Fowler style when doing the minimalist bag?

I've done it once but not something I'd plan on doing regularly with my newish big fat driver head..

Yes. 16° SLDR Mini at 43" is my longest club currently.

It’s a weird deal. You need to have clubs that are versatile, BUT I found that driver was the most important club in my bag when I was playing 8 clubs (I am moving back in that direction in 2018).

The reason being that I stacked more clubs in the bottom half and left the 175 plu yard range as a “use one of two clubs to figure it out; 6 and 4 irons).

But, by driving the ball well, I would want all but the longest of par fours to have a sub 150 approach shot.

15 years later someone asked Bobby Jones what he thought about Evans winning the US Open with only 7 clubs in his bag. Jones' quote is one of my all time favorites.

"It's better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14."

Great quote.

but I don't know about 20 clubs in 1916. Vardon was still playing with about 9. In 1916 Jones played in his first US Amateur at the age of 14; he later had a bag of 16 clubs, but at that point I doubt that he had that many.

It was in the 30's after steel came out that Lawson Little was using 33 clubs or so. I can't imagine carrying a bag with that many. Heck, I can't imagine carrying a bag with 16 hickories - they're darn heavy!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Not to hijack the thread, but what are people using for bags for their "minimalist" clubs?

I use nine clubs and I currently have a TM Supreme Hybrid bag which is overkill for just 9 clubs. It's a bag that is supposed to fit in between the cart and carry crowd but I find it a little bulky for carry. Also the golf courses in New England don't dry out until the end of June and Fall can be wet so I need a stand.

Great shot for hitting 150 yard worm burners under a tree branch and back up the fairway. Comes in handy here in the Oak tree lined Florida fairways!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Not to hijack the thread, but what are people using for bags for their "minimalist" clubs?

I use nine clubs and I currently have a TM Supreme Hybrid bag which is overkill for just 9 clubs. It's a bag that is supposed to fit in between the cart and carry crowd but I find it a little bulky for carry. Also the golf courses in New England don't dry out until the end of June and Fall can be wet so I need a stand.

I have a Adidas stand bag that I use most of the time. It is comparable to the SM 3.5 or a Ping Hoofer. I also have an old Izzo double strap bag with no stand. Super light. Usually travel with this bag.

drn92

Sun Mountain 2.5 as well. Great bag, and easily fits 14 clubs when you want to play a full set. Only drawback is it isn't waterproof, and I wish it had an extra pocket without zipper on the outside of the side pocket that you can reach when walking. But then again, i haven't seen that on any bag since the Izzo Delite.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

my sun mountain is getting sun faded pretty quickly...i'll probably have to replace it again this year and will get a ping bag again. my previous 4 series lasted me 5 or 6 years, and the sun mountain isn't getting past 1.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Sun Mountain 2.5

I have the Sun Mountain 2.5+...and it has full length dividers. :-)

Been toting 8 clubs around in a canvas & leather Mackenzie Sunday Walker for a couple of seasons now. No stand, but whatever they coat the material with does a good job of keeping the moisture out of the bag. Many good options out there, if you want to go custom with legs, give Elliott a look.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Been toting 8 clubs around in a canvas & leather Mackenzie Sunday Walker for a couple of seasons now. No stand, but whatever they coat the material with does a good job of keeping the moisture out of the bag. Many good options out there, if you want to go custom with legs, give Elliott a look.

Would say for people looking for the vintage style, Mackenzie, Stauer & Jacoby and Belding are all awesome options. Love my little Belding American Heritage sunday bag and Seamus headcovers.

9 clubs in a SM Swift X bag for Winter golf.

Driver - Bridgestone JGR

4 Wood - TEE Ex 8

20 Hybrid - Ping I 20

5,7,9 - Bstone J40

52, 58 - BstoneJ15

Putter - Tad Moore, various

A motley crew but it works for me!

Could ditch the 4 wood but like keeping in touch with all clubs types from my regular bag.

Looks like a good selection to me!