Pebble or Bandon??

I guess I’m a little odd in that I liked many of PB’s inland holes also. I’ll admit 1 & 2 probably aren’t real exciting, but as a person who played it only once with all the accompanying jitters, it really didn’t matter. I liked 11 ( caddie told my buddy, “this is the fastest shot you’ve ever had,” when he was above the hole), 14 is such an iconic or familiar green from seeing it on tv. And I’ll never forget being in the bunker there, how high the lip was. I liked 15 & 16 as well.

Maybe my view is skewed because it was a one time deal and they would become more bland if I were to play it more often. But for a “one timer” they were just fine.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- we is me and my wife, but she does not play golf. actually she hates golf, but is excited about either to go to a place she hasn't been and to get away from the kids (5 yo and twin 1.5 yo boys) and knows this is my birthday, i get to do what i want.

Not sure why this thread has evolved into a discussion about which golf resort has the better golf courses.

The OP is not going on a golf trip with his golf buddies nor is the OP's wife a avid golfer.

He has stated that his wife does not golf and "actually hates golf".

While the OP has stated it is his birthday and that the trip is about him ............. come on to all you married guys can it really be just about HIM ??????

There is NOTHING for a non golfer to do at Bandon. This is why most of us worship Bandon but is not the place to go with a spouse that hates golf.

IMHO the accommodations at Bandon can be best be described as upscale dorm rooms.

The food is good basic pub food.

There are no other facilities for a non golfer like a spa etc.

Pebble Beach is the exact opposite. Lots of things for a non golfing spouse to do.

Accommodations at The Inn at Spanish Bay is top notch. I have not stayed at the more pricey Lodge at Pebble Beach.

Lots of little shops with 30 minutes for shopping.

Lots of food options.

IMHO you cannot compare the two resorts if you take the spouse into consideration.

^You also missed in his OP where he said he is likely not staying at the resort. I agree there are loads of non-golf things to do in Monterey generally for a non-golfer, but if they are not staying at a Pebble property then including resort comparisons - outside of the golf - doesn't applies to this thread less than the actual golf itself.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

^You also missed in his OP where he said he is likely not staying at the resort. I agree there are loads of non-golf things to do in Monterey generally for a non-golfer, but if they are not staying at a Pebble property then including resort comparisons - outside of the golf - doesn't applies to this thread less than the actual golf itself.

Also as stated it really depends on his wife. My wife doesn't play golf either but she loves Bandon and would rather go there than Monterrey anytime. She loves sleepy little Oregon coastal towns, little side of the road seafood shacks etc and isn't really into the glam of Monterrey in comparison.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Bandon and it's not close decision for me (from California). Pebble might give you a one time better "blade of grass for blade of grass" experience, but the entire Bandon property, from the huge practice areas, Shorty's, the multiple courses, great eating and drinking and comfortable affordable (well more affordable than Pebble anyway) lodging, with very convenient shuttles, goes way beyond Pebble and is less expensive. If getting to the southern Oregon coast is a hardship, then that might be your ultimate tie breaker. But golf and fun-wise: Bandon.

I've taken my family (Wife and I, early mid 30s, and two daughters 9 and 6) to Pinehurst, Pebble, and Bandon in the last 5 months. Oldest daughter and I played #2 and Pebble, whole family played at Bandon. When we left Bandon, my daughters both cried for an hour solid. My youngest has asked to call our caddie and ask how his day was. For us, it is and probably always will be Bandon. With flights we were around 3k for the 4 of us at Bandon.

Now, we are in the early stages of planning a Scotland trip in 2 years, so that may change things!

spyglass Hill 1-5 are the best opening holes in golf. Period. For ANY course. It's not even close. Coming out of the chute of trees on 1 is zen.

Where to start (question mark) I guess since this is a comparison thread of Pebble/Bandon (semi-colon) actually Bandon's first 5 holes is a 'better' opening stretch than Spyglass (comma) IMHO it is not even close (period) ;)

Not topography. Tee to green sg drops nearly 100 feet

spyglass Hill 1-5 are the best opening holes in golf. Period. For ANY course. It's not even close. Coming out of the chute of trees on 1 is zen.

Where to start (question mark) I guess since this is a comparison thread of Pebble/Bandon (semi-colon) actually Bandon's first 5 holes is a 'better' opening stretch than Spyglass (comma) IMHO it is not even close (period) ;)

OK, but in that case if you want sheer drops, go tee off on #1 at The Judge in Alabama.

That is a more dramatic opening start than Spyglass.

Of course neither elevation change has much to do with the strength of an opening 5 holes of golf, of which many many tracks start out (and continue) in a much more fun manner than Spy.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

OK, but in that case if you want sheer drops, go tee off on #1 at The Judge in Alabama.

That is a more dramatic opening start than Spyglass.

Of course neither elevation change has much to do with the strength of an opening 5 holes of golf, of which many many tracks start out (and continue) in a much more fun manner than Spy.

You want drop? Go to The Sanctuary in Colorado. The opening tee shot alone drops 185 feet and the first hole a total of 245 feet. Of course it's not a great golf course but it's very unique and it's got topography!

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

IMHO even without staying at the resort there is way more for a non golfer to do in the Monterey area than at Bandon.

Even if you do not stay within the resort the food and accommodations will be better than what you will find at Bandon.

Hey I love Bandon and go there at least once a year but I certainly do not go there for the food, quality of the lodging or to visit nearby towns ..... I go there for the golf.

If OP was going with his golf buddies or his wife was an avid golfer and did not care about anything else but golf then absolutely Bandon.

BTW the Op said "would not likely" so he did not rule out staying in the resort.

Bandon for the golf.

Pebble for the memories.

I live in Oregon and play Bandon every year. Also have played Pebble twice (once staying at the lodge and once staying at a cheap local hotel) and Spyglass a 1/2 dozen times.

If it is a "once in a lifetime" trip, go to Pebble, stay at the lodge and get caddies.

Bandon is a blast, but Pebble is iconic. Nothing more fun than watching the AT&T every year and remembering where you hit XYZ shot on Pebble or Spyglass. Especially your shots on 7, 8, 17 and 18.

The accommodations and food at Pebble are top notch (and top dollar) and makes it a memorable trip in addition to the golf.

And I LOVE Bandon Dunes, but go to Pebble (if a once-in-a-lifetime trip).

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

IMHO even without staying at the resort there is way more for a non golfer to do in the Monterey area than at Bandon.

Even if you do not stay within the resort the food and accommodations will be better than what you will find at Bandon.

Hey I love Bandon and go there at least once a year but I certainly do not go there for the food, quality of the lodging or to visit nearby towns ..... I go there for the golf.

If OP was going with his golf buddies or his wife was an avid golfer and did not care about anything else but golf then absolutely Bandon.

BTW the Op said "would not likely" so he did not rule out staying in the resort.

That's all fair enough, but as FF pointed out, not every non-golfer is going to want what 17 Mile Drive and Carmel have compared to the Oregon Coast.

That Coastline is quite spectacular starting at Mendocino and points Northwards.

We're just IMO-ing at this point now. If you don't care about what else is on offer in that part of the world that's grand.

Some people care about how plush their rooms are and whether it has a chaise loungue or not. Many others would rather be out doing something.

F.T.

That's all fair enough, but as FF pointed out, not every non-golfer is going to want what 17 Mile Drive and Carmel have compared to the Oregon Coast.

That Coastline is quite spectacular starting at Mendocino and points Northwards.

We're just IMO-ing at this point now. If you don't care about what else is on offer in that part of the world that's grand.

Some people care about how plush their rooms are and whether it has a chaise loungue or not. Many others would rather be out doing something.

roger that. I'm not of the frame of mind to spend 440 dollars on a room I'll be in for eight hours.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

roger that. I'm not of the frame of mind to spend 440 dollars on a room I'll be in for eight hours.

and this is the exact reason why i dont stay on property if i dont have to. stayed in town at bandon, stayed in monterey at pebble, stayed in lakeland for streamsong, etc etc.

and this is the exact reason why i dont stay on property if i dont have to. stayed in town at bandon, stayed in monterey at pebble, stayed in lakeland for streamsong, etc etc.

why you cheap bastxxx...lol :taunt:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

thanks for all the responses. to clear up a few questions/comments:

- we is me and my wife, but she does not play golf. actually she hates golf, but is excited about either to go to a place she hasn't been and to get away from the kids (5 yo and twin 1.5 yo boys) and knows this is my birthday, i get to do what i want.

- i'm not glitz, champagne, etc... i'm microbrew and meatloaf, but yeah, seeing pebble on tv, and also hearing stories about spyglass had me more interested

my wife and i have never been to oregon, so going to bandon checks another state off for us, where as we have both been to the bay area in california, but obviously pebble is different. i'm looking now at the option of flying to bandon, but driving to portland and spending a day in portland and flying home from portland.

one comment, availability, after looking into that, the weekend of my birthday pebble is not available. while i could go a week later, and at this point in my life what is one more week, bandon appears to be available that week, so that is a plus.

thanks for all the feedback.

I think that the OP answered his own question if he thinks the Monterey Peninsula is all glitz which it's not. There are plenty of brew pubs and restaurants where they serve great meatloaf.

I've been luck enough to play both - for a once in a lifetime trip, I'd go with Pebble, i can remember every single shot I hit on that course, memories are incomparable. Bandon as a property is definitely a special place - I think the actual Bandon course is overrated with the exception of maybe 2-3 holes - Pacific Dunes and Trails are an incredible experience didn't get to play Old Mac. For dinner drinks, I actually preferred Bandon because hotel/food/drink costs were surprisingly reasonable compared to Pebble. To me 6-8 at Pebble is the greatest stretch of holes you can play on any public course and standing on the 18th at Pebble will stay with you forever. As much as I loved Bandon, never had that same feeling on any of the courses.

Triple,

For me, the choice is simple... Bandon if going with the guys and Pebble if with the family. I have done both and it has worked out beautifully for all. I know that everyone is different, but as noted, Bandon has nothing for the non-golfer. Keep your wife happy, go to Pebble for your 40th and Bandon later.....

For those who have played the Pebble courses and have stayed at the resort, how much do you think that added to the experience? The OP states that he won't stay at the resort. To me, that diminishes the champagne and cavier appeal of Pebble. Monterey would make a more well rounded vacation overall, but less of a golf vacation.

I also think Pebble can be done later in life since there are carts (which diminish the golf experience imo). Bandon is walking only which requires at least some fitness and also adds to the majestic nature of the entire resort.

I'm in the camp of Bandon, Bandon, Bandon, until I get too old, and then it'll be Pebble Pebble Pebble.

Hey hey.. I am 68 and loved walking all the courses at Bandon, wet and windy as it was in November!! Pebble was idyllic in April when we played and walked, as you must do to get the glory of the setting. Carts are for the birds as far as I am concerned. Comparing them - Bandon for a boys' trip, Pebble for a oncer. Bandon is rugged, Pebble is exquisite. Mind you if it was $150 to play I might go back again and again.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's the wife that is the wild card. My wife would prefer Bandon to Monterey but she likes sleepy Oregon coastal towns and quiet beaches etc more than the glitz of Monterey. I know most are the opposite. You won't go wrong w the golf either way i personally prefer Bandon (if given 10 rounds between Bandon courses and the public Monterey courses I probably would play them all at Bandon) its raw links golf where as Monterey is something else but also very special.

this. my wife is wanting to go to oregon. she is content sleeping in and doing nothing for a couple days, but has asked we drive the coast to Portland and see small towns. Figure we can fly into Bandon, but fly home out of Portland with a day in Portland, maybe a trip up to Astoria to see where the Goonies was filmed (i'm turning 40, so i grew up on that movie).

I've taken my family (Wife and I, early mid 30s, and two daughters 9 and 6) to Pinehurst, Pebble, and Bandon in the last 5 months. Oldest daughter and I played #2 and Pebble, whole family played at Bandon. When we left Bandon, my daughters both cried for an hour solid. My youngest has asked to call our caddie and ask how his day was. For us, it is and probably always will be Bandon. With flights we were around 3k for the 4 of us at Bandon.

Now, we are in the early stages of planning a Scotland trip in 2 years, so that may change things!

hmmm.......i didn't even think of pinehurst. now you have me thinking.

Not going to read anything on this thread, just going to put my thoughts. I have played both, all courses except old macdonald.

Bandon is cheaper for staying and playing. Easier to book as well for you don't have to commit to staying in the overpriced PB hotels. You will have to stay in property for BD, but the costs are much cheaper and I would suggest staying there for it is such a retreat.

The weather is better in PB on average, although we lucked out at BD for early August and was in the mid 60's overcast with minimal wind.

The replays are easier at BD because of proximity.

The BD courses are better overall than the PB courses. PB is great for history although not as tough as you think (only 6 holes IMO are tough). Spyglass is my favorite course there actually and tough. BD has wonderfully strong courses across the board.

The history of actually playing the historic PB course is something you have to do once! If you aren't going to make both over your lifetime go to PB.

Just wanted to comment that I am leaving for Bandon in 5 hours and I couldn’t be more excited!

I played Pebble/Spyglass twice in the last month, and, Pebble is heaven on earth to me, but after reading on this thread I really can’t wait for the golf at Bandon.

I’ll follow up OP but I can pretty much guarantee I’ll be echoing what most people have said on here. I get to go to Pebble at the end of Dec/Jan for my anniversary, as I get to golf and wife gets to shop in Carmel and use the spa. Bandon is strictly golf and that is exciting!!

BTW, you guys should check out the weather, I have no idea how lucky we got to be playing in the gorgeous weather up there in January, but we lucked out!!!

Titleist TSR2, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X
Taylormade Sim2 Max 3wd, Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
Callaway Mavrik 5wd, Fujikura Speeder 8.3X
Callaway Mavrik 7wd, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX-4, 5 iron, ZX5 6-GW Project X LZ 6.5
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* and Titleist SM9 60*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12

on the bench Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters 

Just wanted to comment that I am leaving for Bandon in 5 hours and I couldn’t be more excited!

I played Pebble/Spyglass twice in the last month, and, Pebble is heaven on earth to me, but after reading on this thread I really can’t wait for the golf at Bandon.

I’ll follow up OP but I can pretty much guarantee I’ll be echoing what most people have said on here. I get to go to Pebble at the end of Dec/Jan for my anniversary, as I get to golf and wife gets to shop in Carmel and use the spa. Bandon is strictly golf and that is exciting!!

BTW, you guys should check out the weather, I have no idea how lucky we got to be playing in the gorgeous weather up there in January, but we lucked out!!!

Post a trip report in the NW forum.

Have a milestone B-Day coming up later this year, and since the timing didn't work out to play St. Andrews and such, chose Pebble for the big occasion. We're staying at the lodge, with an ocean view on #18, so it wasn't cheap at all. For a once-in-a-lifetime trip, it didn't matter. I'll play Spanish Bay, Spyglass, then Pebble, but the wife will get to relax and enjoy the spa while I'm out in the mornings. For a couple looking to do some celebrating, there was no question that PB was the place to go.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

One thing that may not relate to this OP's question but is still part of the Bandon vs. Pebble comparison is that fact you cannot use a cart at Bandon. It is strictly walking only.

For those that are approaching the age where their mobility will become more limited in the next years I would play Bandon while you still can.

You can cart it at Pebble.

One thing that may not relate to this OP's question but is still part of the Bandon vs. Pebble comparison is that fact you cannot use a cart at Bandon. It is strictly walking only.

For those that are approaching the age where their mobility will become more limited in the next years I would play Bandon while you still can.

You can cart it at Pebble.

Cart at pebble is futile because of cart path only. Pay the caddy and walk.