Best Rain gear

chbrake

Depends on your budget. For me, it's Zero Restriction WhisperSoft Gore-Tex Tour Jacket & Tour Pants. Though they cost more, I bought mine over twenty years ago and they still work fine.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Based on reviews here and at the other site I just ordered the Proquip PX5 Stormforce jacket and pants for my Scotland trip this coming July. I am a fairweather golfer currently because I am not a member of a course and there are too many nice days to want to play while it's super cold or rainy.

I plan on joining a course this year and with a trip to Scotland my time is limited on how many rounds I can play and it could possibly rain every day that I am there so I needed to be prepared.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Ping g430 LST 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 65g
Ping g430 LST 14.5* - Project X Smoke Black 70x
Ping g430 17* - Project X Smoke Black 6.5 or TM P70UDI 2 with same shaft
Ping i59 4-PW - DG AMT White X100
Callaway Jaws Raw Black 50*, 54*, 60*- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini w/ Stability Tour
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

Based on reviews here and at the other site I just ordered the Proquip PX5 Stormforce jacket and pants for my Scotland trip this coming July. I am a fairweather golfer currently because I am not a member of a course and there are too many nice days to want to play while it's super cold or rainy.

I plan on joining a course this year and with a trip to Scotland my time is limited on how many rounds I can play and it could possibly rain every day that I am there so I needed to be prepared.

You may also want / need, the PQ bucket hat:

http://proquipgolf.com/product/ultralite-waterproof-bucket-hat/

You guys with the proquip PX5.....where did you order. The first order I p-laced they are saying 5/1/2018 before they receive it. Granted I am not traveling until July, but that seems like an awful long time to wait.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

You guys with the proquip PX5.....where did you order. The first order I p-laced they are saying 5/1/2018 before they receive it. Granted I am not traveling until July, but that seems like an awful long time to wait.

haha. You made the same mistake I made. European calendar is read differently. That means they expect it by January 5th.

haha. You made the same mistake I made. European calendar is read differently. That means they expect it by January 5th.

golfsupport.com. Try discount code AW001. Best prices I found.

Ordered from Golf Support with the coupon code. 4putt.....you are correct I read it as a US date instead of the European date. Just received an email stating that it was on it's way.

golfsupport.com. Try discount code AW001. Best prices I found.

Ordered from Golf Support with the coupon code. 4putt.....you are correct I read it as a US date instead of the European date. Just received an email stating that it was on it's way.

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't -- remember that European garments zip opposite of the US, so the zipper on your Px5 jacket will be on opposite side where you are accustomed from US jackets.

Guys!!! Thank you for all of your answers on this. I delved deep and went all in. Found a guy on the BST who was selling an Under Armour rain suit NWT for $260, so I debated over it for a day or two and went for it. Got it in the mail the other day and it fits great but I haven't played in it yet. Also, I went ahead and got a Proquip set because yall sang such high praises. So, in the next couple of months I may have to put one of them back up on the BST.

Anyway, thanks again for all the tech support and help, its great using a collective brain to make an informed decision.

Thanks again,

Clint

KJUS is by far the most technically advanced with the materials they're using and fits. It is a bit pricey but worth it if you can find a deal. Speaking of deals function18.com is running a huge sale on Galvin Green. Passing this along. I've bought from US re sellers before but these prices are absurdly low and don't think anyone can come close! They even include free shipping an no tax!

https://www.function18.com/on-sale/shopby/brand-galvin_green.html?dir=desc&order=date_created

This. I tried everything and have never once strayed from Kjus once trying it. I bought a ton of their other stuff now too, I like the gear that much. Fit, stretch and comfort are all equally important and Kjus has it all. And it keep you bone dry too.

Can anyone comment on the fit of the proquip px5? Order same size as FJ (small for me) or Nike (medium for me) ?

I'm 5-7, 155, and wear Medium in Under Armour, C&B, Nike, Peter Millar, Fairway & Greene, etc. The only brand I have to go down to Small is Footjoy. With Galvin Green, I have to go up to Large in some of their stuff, just because I don't like the fully form fitting Euro fit in some garments that is typical of their style (not a knock against the company, just my personal preference).

With the PX5, the Medium jacket was the best fit, although I do use the pull cords to make it tighter on me. The sleeves were just too short on the Small and it felt to "binding". I have a 40 chest, which is what they recommend for the medium. The fabric is exceptional for stretching and, like I said, the pull cords will let you make it tighter all the way around, not just at the bottom of the jacket like some versions. I also knew that I would mainly be wearing mine during the winter, so I would also have on an added layer of a sweater underneath, so I didn't want to go Small. If you just want to use your's during the summer when you'll only have a small polo underneath, that might affect your decision.

As far as the pants, I was greedy and purchased both a Small and Medium. The Medium has been perfect during winter golf so far. I wear UA base layer, then UA Coldgear pants, then the rain paints and I've been toasty down to one tournament that I played when it was 32 degrees, cloudy with 25 mph winds out of the north. The Small are perfect if I solely want to wear the base layer and then the rain paints on top. I actually purchased the Small in thoughts of the summer when I would typically just have a relatively thin pair of shorts on and it starts raining.

I would describe the overall fit of the PX5 as similar to an Under Armour fit. In my mind, Footjoy stuff is usually a little baggy. Galvin Green is pretty form fitting. And then Under Armour is kind of "middle of the road" -- not baggy, but not form fitting. That's just my experience. Others may disagree. There's a guy named chris975d (?) from Atlanta who posts on here frequently and he's a tremendous resource on all different OEM sizes, styles, etc....... You may want to PM him.

Can anyone comment on the fit of the proquip px5? Order same size as FJ (small for me) or Nike (medium for me) ?

I'm 5-7, 155, and wear Medium in Under Armour, C&B, Nike, Peter Millar, Fairway & Greene, etc. The only brand I have to go down to Small is Footjoy. With Galvin Green, I have to go up to Large in some of their stuff, just because I don't like the fully form fitting Euro fit in some garments that is typical of their style (not a knock against the company, just my personal preference).

With the PX5, the Medium jacket was the best fit, although I do use the pull cords to make it tighter on me. The sleeves were just too short on the Small and it felt to "binding". I have a 40 chest, which is what they recommend for the medium. The fabric is exceptional for stretching and, like I said, the pull cords will let you make it tighter all the way around, not just at the bottom of the jacket like some versions. I also knew that I would mainly be wearing mine during the winter, so I would also have on an added layer of a sweater underneath, so I didn't want to go Small. If you just want to use your's during the summer when you'll only have a small polo underneath, that might affect your decision.

As far as the pants, I was greedy and purchased both a Small and Medium. The Medium has been perfect during winter golf so far. I wear UA base layer, then UA Coldgear pants, then the rain paints and I've been toasty down to one tournament that I played when it was 32 degrees, cloudy with 25 mph winds out of the north. The Small are perfect if I solely want to wear the base layer and then the rain paints on top. I actually purchased the Small in thoughts of the summer when I would typically just have a relatively thin pair of shorts on and it starts raining.

I would describe the overall fit of the PX5 as similar to an Under Armour fit. In my mind, Footjoy stuff is usually a little baggy. Galvin Green is pretty form fitting. And then Under Armour is kind of "middle of the road" -- not baggy, but not form fitting. That's just my experience. Others may disagree. There's a guy named chris975d (?) from Atlanta who posts on here frequently and he's a tremendous resource on all different OEM sizes, styles, etc....... You may want to PM him.

Hey 4putt, thanks for the kind words. I'll echo pretty much everything you said here. I am a rain and winter gear ho, and I've owned and tried just about everything. Your words on fits of the different manufacturers is spot on to what I've seen. Euro cut is usually a bit smaller and more "athletic" fit/cut. FootJoy, over here at least, is very baggy and loose. Ironically, if you order Euro FJ, it's all athletic cut and pretty much perfect, as long as you size up...it's cut very small compared to our FJ over here.

I'll confirm that in my experience, ProQuip fit is similar to Under Armour. I wear the same size in each. I own the PX5 pants, and I really like them. I use them as a cold weather layer over my golf pants at work (I work in golf, and am outside a lot helping my staff) as it sounds you do. And they have a good amount of stretch, great feeling material, and are just comfy.

I have a Goretex Paclite from Cabela's that does the job the one of two times I'm stranded in bad weather. I don't mind the hood either!

Mizuno also has a non/ goretex lineup that seems pretty good.

The link below has a pretty good explanation of waterproof ratings:

https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

Exactly the reply I was looking for. I am the same h/w so Medium it is - jacket and pants.

Thank you! I have a Bandon trip coming up in April and want to prepare ahead of time.

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

You're right that the Dryjoy Tour XP rain gear doesn't work that well. I remember last year I went to play golf in a league with my buddies. I set my Titleist bag loaded with all Titleist clubs down and went in the pro shop wearing my Icon Blacks. It started to drizzle so I went out to my bag and got my ZR jacket and ZR rain hat. Just so happened the Titleist rep was in the shop. He asked me why I didn't have the Dryjoy rain gear to go with everything else. I told him point blank I only wear gear that works and that means Goretex. Since there were a few others in the shop he defended his product saying it was just as good as Goretex. I've played golf for over 50 years and in that time I've learned what works and what doesn't. Finally he took my name and address and sent me a Dryjoy Tour XP suit for free. It was a nice gesture but compared to my Zero Restriction gear it's thicker, heavier, noisier, less flexible, less adjustable, and is less rainproof. No contest.

It amazes me how many top-tier golf companies are still selling rain gear that does not use Gore-Tex and charging big bucks because of their name.

There is just no comparison between rain gear this uses Gore-Tex and those that use something else. Gore-Tex beats every other product (DryJoys, Storm-Fit etc.) hands down. They can use whatever "statistics" or "test results" they want to claim how their products are "just as good" as Gore-Tex, but the reality is, they are not. Not in the real world anyways.

If you are just playing in a light drizzle, pretty much anything will work, but if you are going to go Scotland or Bandon Dunes or any bucket list destination where real rain is a strong possibility, to go there with anything other than Gore-Tex rain gear is asking for a miserable round of golf if the weather goes south.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

You're right that the Dryjoy Tour XP rain gear doesn't work that well. I remember last year I went to play golf in a league with my buddies. I set my Titleist bag loaded with all Titleist clubs down and went in the pro shop wearing my Icon Blacks. It started to drizzle so I went out to my bag and got my ZR jacket and ZR rain hat. Just so happened the Titleist rep was in the shop. He asked me why I didn't have the Dryjoy rain gear to go with everything else. I told him point blank I only wear gear that works and that means Goretex. Since there were a few others in the shop he defended his product saying it was just as good as Goretex. I've played golf for over 50 years and in that time I've learned what works and what doesn't. Finally he took my name and address and sent me a Dryjoy Tour XP suit for free. It was a nice gesture but compared to my Zero Restriction gear it's thicker, heavier, noisier, less flexible, less adjustable, and is less rainproof. No contest.

It amazes me how many top-tier golf companies are still selling rain gear that does not use Gore-Tex and charging big bucks because of their name.

There is just no comparison between rain gear this uses Gore-Tex and those that use something else. Gore-Tex beats every other product (DryJoys, Storm-Fit etc.) hands down. They can use whatever "statistics" or "test results" they want to claim how their products are "just as good" as Gore-Tex, but the reality is, they are not. Not in the real world anyways.

If you are just playing in a light drizzle, pretty much anything will work, but if you are going to go Scotland or Bandon Dunes or any bucket list destination where real rain is a strong possibility, to go there with anything other than Gore-Tex rain gear is asking for a miserable round of golf if the weather goes south.

With 25+ years in the golf business and wearing rain gear for work pretty extensively, I'd have to refute that to some extent. When it comes to the waterproof membranes that actually make up the "waterproofing" part of these garments, if designed to the same specs (people need to check that before buying rain gear), most all membranes perform as well as GoreTex, and some have been proven to be "better" at things such as breathability, strecth, etc. Even the outdoor industry shows us this (mountain climbing, hiking, etc), as they use this stuff way harder than we do in golf, and more and more non-GoreTex pieces make it to the top of recommended lists with each year. Even the one of the top performing and highly regarded manufacturers of rain gear in golf, Kjus, doesn't use GoreTex material in their gear.

In talking to people in the textile/clothing manufacturing industry, as I do almost daily, at least weekly, many will even tell you they feel GoreTex material (the actual waterproof membrane, not the fabric attached to the outside (and sometimes inside) is actually falling behind in advancements to some of the other membranes on the market. Mainly because many people (in the industry) say Gore is "resting on their laurels", so to speak.

Where GoreTex does shine isn't in the membrane I feel, it's actually in their requirements for a manufacturer to be able to even use GoreTex in their products. Gore (the company itself) has a very stringent set of rules you have to follow to be able to license and use GoreTex. They (Gore) has to have final say so in the design, they have to do all of the testing, the garments have to be made in Gore approved facilities that have been trained and set up to Gore standards. The manufacturer has to use Gore seam sealing tape, etc. They also require the manufacturer to give a lifetime warranty on the garment for water intrusion. They can do this because Gore has actually more or less helped design and build every GoreTex containing garment on the market. I've posted these bullet by bullet directly from Gore in another post on here somewhere.

So kind of what Gore has done is create a standard for a GoreTex containing garment. They've created and control the consistency, because they don't trust the manufacturers to do that. So if you know nothing of waterproofing and membrane technology, you know that if you get a "GoreTex" garment, you'll stay dry.

That being said, if you do know about this stuff, there are several manufacturers out there using membranes that exceed the specs of GoreTex, with better breathability, stretch, heat retention (if you want it for cold weather use), body temperature regulation, etc. Things like the Japanese Derzimax material, eVent, Pertex, and others all give comparable "waterproofing" to the GoreTex material.. once you hit 20,000mm or greater of waterproof rating, you're not going to get wet in any conditions golfers would be in, at least not from the membrane itself.

So I think some of the confusion and people saying "GoreTex is better" as if it's an absolute truth comes from the fact that they aren't comparing apples to apples. If you are looking at a 20,000mm or greater waterproof rating garment using a good membrane, with seam sealing, waterproof zippers, made by a quality manufacturer, you will get the same, if not better performance in things like breathability/temp regulation, stretch (this is important in golf and high movement activities) than a GoreTex containing piece. But if you buy a garment with only a 10,000mm rating, shodding seam sealing if any at all, and get wet (which at 10,000mm ratiing, trust me, if you're in a heavy rain for a while, you WILL get wet), then you'll think...GoreTex is the best.

Summary, for those who don't want to read my rambling: GoreTex CAN be worth the money, if you know nothing of this technology and/or don't care to know. W. L. Gore (company) creates and controls the standard of GoreTex using garments, therefore you know the baseline level of performance you're getting with it. But, you are paying primarily for all this licensing and control W.L. Gore insists upon, and not as much on technological advancement of the membrane itself.

However, if you know what you're looking at and/or for, you CAN buy products that perform equal to or even better than GoreTex garments.

**I do own and use waterproof garments containing GoreTex and most other membranes, so I'm not favoring any one over the other in real world use. Designed to the same waterproofing specs, they are all equal in my experience in actually keeping me dry. Where they differ is in how hot/clammy/sweaty I get underneath them, how much they stretch and move with me, etc.

• Thanks 1

With 25+ years in the golf business and wearing rain gear for work pretty extensively, I'd have to refute that to some extent. When it comes to the waterproof membranes that actually make up the "waterproofing" part of these garments, if designed to the same specs (people need to check that before buying rain gear), most all membranes perform as well as GoreTex, and some have been proven to be "better" at things such as breathability, strecth, etc. Even the outdoor industry shows us this (mountain climbing, hiking, etc), as they use this stuff way harder than we do in golf, and more and more non-GoreTex pieces make it to the top of recommended lists with each year. Even the one of the top performing and highly regarded manufacturers of rain gear in golf, Kjus, doesn't use GoreTex material in their gear.

In talking to people in the textile/clothing manufacturing industry, as I do almost daily, at least weekly, many will even tell you they feel GoreTex material (the actual waterproof membrane, not the fabric attached to the outside (and sometimes inside) is actually falling behind in advancements to some of the other membranes on the market. Mainly because many people (in the industry) say Gore is "resting on their laurels", so to speak.

Where GoreTex does shine isn't in the membrane I feel, it's actually in their requirements for a manufacturer to be able to even use GoreTex in their products. Gore (the company itself) has a very stringent set of rules you have to follow to be able to license and use GoreTex. They (Gore) has to have final say so in the design, they have to do all of the testing, the garments have to be made in Gore approved facilities that have been trained and set up to Gore standards. The manufacturer has to use Gore seam sealing tape, etc. They also require the manufacturer to give a lifetime warranty on the garment for water intrusion. They can do this because Gore has actually more or less helped design and build every GoreTex containing garment on the market. I've posted these bullet by bullet directly from Gore in another post on here somewhere.

So kind of what Gore has done is create a standard for a GoreTex containing garment. They've created and control the consistency, because they don't trust the manufacturers to do that. So if you know nothing of waterproofing and membrane technology, you know that if you get a "GoreTex" garment, you'll stay dry.

That being said, if you do know about this stuff, there are several manufacturers out there using membranes that exceed the specs of GoreTex, with better breathability, stretch, heat retention (if you want it for cold weather use), body temperature regulation, etc. Things like the Japanese Derzimax material, eVent, Pertex, and others all give comparable "waterproofing" to the GoreTex material.. once you hit 20,000mm or greater of waterproof rating, you're not going to get wet in any conditions golfers would be in, at least not from the membrane itself.

So I think some of the confusion and people saying "GoreTex is better" as if it's an absolute truth comes from the fact that they aren't comparing apples to apples. If you are looking at a 20,000mm or greater waterproof rating garment using a good membrane, with seam sealing, waterproof zippers, made by a quality manufacturer, you will get the same, if not better performance in things like breathability/temp regulation, stretch (this is important in golf and high movement activities) than a GoreTex containing piece. But if you buy a garment with only a 10,000mm rating, shodding seam sealing if any at all, and get wet (which at 10,000mm ratiing, trust me, if you're in a heavy rain for a while, you WILL get wet), then you'll think...GoreTex is the best.

Summary, for those who don't want to read my rambling: GoreTex CAN be worth the money, if you know nothing of this technology and/or don't care to know. W. L. Gore (company) creates and controls the standard of GoreTex using garments, therefore you know the baseline level of performance you're getting with it. But, you are paying primarily for all this licensing and control W.L. Gore insists upon, and not as much on technological advancement of the membrane itself.

However, if you know what you're looking at and/or for, you CAN buy products that perform equal to or even better than GoreTex garments.

**I do own and use waterproof garments containing GoreTex and most other membranes, so I'm not favoring any one over the other in real world use. Designed to the same waterproofing specs, they are all equal in my experience in actually keeping me dry. Where they differ is in how hot/clammy/sweaty I get underneath them, how much they stretch and move with me, etc.

Thank you for the info and the time it took to post it.

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Question for you if you can answer it, based on your paraphrased reply above.

Can you name some companies that have product readily available in the US that have raingear that performs better than gore-Tex?

I make an annual trip to Bandon and fully expect to get dumped on at least one day when I am there and if there is something better than goretex, I want to try it!

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Can you name some companies that have product readily available in the US that have raingear that performs better than gore-Tex?

I make an annual trip to Bandon and fully expect to get dumped on at least one day when I am there and if there is something better than goretex, I want to try it!

The "readily available in the US" may be the trickiest part of that. And again, when I say "better than GoreTex", I'm not talking in terms of waterproofing. Again, my experience is that if the membrane is rated to that of GoreTex (at least 20,000mm), with seam sealing and good waterproof zipper/or storm flap, you'll stay just as dry as with GoreTex. The qualities I'm referring to are more along the lines of stretch, softer feeling fabrics, breathability, etc. If you're primary factor is staying dry, if you already have GoreTex, you won't stay "more dry" with anything else.

But, ProQuip, the PX5 jacket and pants specifically, to me feel and move much better than GoreTex material. And ProQuip thinks so highly of it that they back it with a lifetime guarantee. And I'm pretty sure that membrane holds the highest rating possible for waterproof membranes (I could be wrong here, working off 1-2 year old info from memory). **One thing to note with ProQuip, it's much cheaper to order from a Euro dealer than it is to buy Stateside.

Under Armour's membrane used on their non-GoreTex Storm 3 line (they have GoreTex Paclite and non-GoreTex pants and jackets that look very similiar) is much lighter and more stretchy than the comparable GoreTex product, Paclite. It's a very thin, waterproof only shell, meaning it can be worn year round, like GoreTex Paclite...it has no liner to keep you warm. Just make sure you get the 20,000mm rated one, as they have some older ones still in circulation that were rated less than this.

Mizuno's highest rated waterproof gear (20,000mm+) is very good, and I've used it a lot. I believe it's similar, if not the same, as the highly rated Derzimax fabric.

PING is making some amazing stuff now that they have moved everything in house (previously they partnered with Columbia to make PING branded apparel). The Zero Gravity full zip jacket and pants made with Pertex Shield is a favorite of mine. Pertex gets used a lot in outdoor (climbing, hiking, etc) gear. So light, thin and stretchy. It's here: http://www.ping-shop...jacket-black-s.

Just be careful with sizing, as their outerwear is still based off Euro styling, and is a full size smaller than US sizing.

I own all of the above I've mentioned, and will soon try Kjus with all the glowing reports I hear from people (who I trust) who've used it. It's just hard to get over here it seems.

There's a lot of good stuff out there. I even pull some items over from the outdoor/ski/climbing world into golf, as there are a ton of super rain garments over in that hobby. Kuhl, Outdoor Research, Arc'teryx, Columbia OutDry tech (really neat tech here, the exterior of the jacket IS the membrane...no bonded face fabric that needs DWR to repel water), etc. Lots of thin, packable, super waterproof garments from that world.

Again, I also use GoreTex. Most that know me on GolfWRX know I'm a total Galvin Green 'ho, and they are exclusively GoreTex. I like them more for the styling and fit, as opposed to the membrane they are using. I also know from experience that if they used other membranes, they could get things that stretch and move more, too. GoreTex stretch just doesn't stretch as much as other stretchable membranes. And my emergency rain jacket and pants (a set in each vehicle, at the front door at home, and office at the course, and my gear bag) is a black Under Armour GoreTex Paclite jacket/pant set. So I do use GoreTex, I just know they aren't the only game in town. But they are a sure bet to staying dry, if you don't know anything else.

• Like 2

I might be wrong here but to my knowledge Goretex made rain gear is the only gear that carries a lifetime warranty to keep you dry. I know when I worked in a pro shop after I retired I purchased a few Dryjoy rain jackets (Dryjoys best models at the time). After a couple years of use they have turned in windbreakers. I'm an avid golfer and remember once when it started to rain I was with my buddies and all four of us had rain gear. Only one guy had Goretex. The three without the Goretex all voted to come in after nine holes because we were wet. Our fourth came in too. When we took our jackets off only one player had a dry shirt. That day I learned a good lesson. In 2018 there are a couple alternatives to Goretex. I think the patent has now opened to allow others to use the process under other names (but again I may be wrong here). I know I have a Sunice rain jacket made from eVent which is basically Goretex in concept. I use it on hot summer days as it does keep me cooler that the Goretex gear and seems to provide the same protection. However it only carries a three year warranty which makes me wonder. I have a 25 year old McGregor Goretex jacket that I bring when our league plays on rainy days that I loan to people without proper gear. They stay dry too.

I might be wrong here but to my knowledge Goretex made rain gear is the only gear that carries a lifetime warranty to keep you dry. I know when I worked in a pro shop after I retired I purchased a few Dryjoy rain jackets (Dryjoys best models at the time). After a couple years of use they have turned in windbreakers. I'm an avid golfer and remember once when it started to rain I was with my buddies and all four of us had rain gear. Only one guy had Goretex. The three without the Goretex all voted to come in after nine holes because we were wet. Our fourth came in too. When we took our jackets off only one player had a dry shirt. That day I learned a good lesson. In 2018 there are a couple alternatives to Goretex. I think the patent has now opened to allow others to use the process under other names (but again I may be wrong here). I know I have a Sunice rain jacket made from eVent which is basically Goretex in concept. I use it on hot summer days as it does keep me cooler that the Goretex gear and seems to provide the same protection. However it only carries a three year warranty which makes me wonder. I have a 25 year old McGregor Goretex jacket that I bring when our league plays on rainy days that I loan to people without proper gear. They stay dry too.

ProQuip guarantees their PX5 gear to be waterproof for life as well.

https://proquipgolfusa.com/products/px5-stormforce-jacket

Lots of earlier FootJoy raingear was DWR only, meaning that there was no waterproof membrane in the garment. It was an applied coating to the exterior of the jacket/pants. If it wears off, then water can get through those older garments. I can tell you that the newer, membrane containing stuff (Hydrolite, the newest Tour LTS, and DryJoys Select-the most expensive FJ product) are all very good.

I can also tell you one thing I've learned from being in some of those outdoor rain gear groups I follow...often times people confuse water entry with failure of the DWR coating on the outside of the garment...even GoreTex garments have this. It's what allows the garment to breath. Water has to bead up and stay off the outer fabric for water vapor inside the jacket (generated by the heat of our bodies) to move through the jacket and cool us off. If the DWR coating wears off (and it does with normal use), the the face fabric (outer cloth portion) gets soaked (this is referred to as "wetting out"), and that clogs the pores in the jacket that allow heat/water vapor off our bodies to get out. Then that water vapor collects/condenses as water inside the jacket and soaks you. This will even happen to GoreTex if the DWR on the outside gets worn off/fails. I've had it happen with older rain gear. The membrane was fine, and as soon as I restored the DWR coating and got water beading on the surface again, the inside started being dry again.

But, ProQuip, the PX5 jacket and pants specifically, to me feel and move much better than GoreTex material. And ProQuip thinks so highly of it that they back it with a lifetime guarantee. And I'm pretty sure that membrane holds the highest rating possible for waterproof membranes (I could be wrong here, working off 1-2 year old info from memory). **One thing to note with ProQuip, it's much cheaper to order from a Euro dealer than it is to buy Stateside.

Mizuno's highest rated waterproof gear (20,000mm+) is very good, and I've used it a lot. I believe it's similar, if not the same, as the highly rated Derzimax fabric.

PING is making some amazing stuff now that they have moved everything in house (previously they partnered with Columbia to make PING branded apparel). The Zero Gravity full zip jacket and pants made with Pertex Shield is a favorite of mine. Pertex gets used a lot in outdoor (climbing, hiking, etc) gear. So light, thin and stretchy. It's here: http://www.ping-shop...jacket-black-s.

There's a lot of good stuff out there. I even pull some items over from the outdoor/ski/climbing world into golf, as there are a ton of super rain garments over in that hobby. Kuhl, Outdoor Research, Arc'teryx, Columbia OutDry tech (really neat tech here, the exterior of the jacket IS the membrane...no bonded face fabric that needs DWR to repel water), etc. Lots of thin, packable, super waterproof garments from that world.

Thanks for the reply! I had not heard of ProQuip, need to check them out. Sizing will certainly be a problem if they aren't readily available stateside.

My club in Portland is one of the few CCs in the US that carry Galvin Green. I love the styling but I am a "tweener" when it comes to their sizing. Large is too tight, XL is too big. So I have been sticking with the "non-trim" cut Sunice GoreTex in size large. Fits great and is bombproof. My Sunice shell is now 10 years old and still going strong. Wash it every year with Nik-xxx (can't remember the full name) and coat it with another Nik product (again can't remember the name) and it is as good as new.

I also have a Columbia OutDry hoodie jacket and while it is very waterproof, it is very "clammy" inside. It does not breath well IMHO. Basically a lightweight rubber jacket to me. I keep it for a rain jacket (awesome) when going out in the rain, but would not use it for any other physical activity.

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

The "readily available in the US" may be the trickiest part of that. And again, when I say "better than GoreTex", I'm not talking in terms of waterproofing. Again, my experience is that if the membrane is rated to that of GoreTex (at least 20,000mm), with seam sealing and good waterproof zipper/or storm flap, you'll stay just as dry as with GoreTex. The qualities I'm referring to are more along the lines of stretch, softer feeling fabrics, breathability, etc. If you're primary factor is staying dry, if you already have GoreTex, you won't stay "more dry" with anything else.

Under Armour's membrane used on their non-GoreTex Storm 3 line (they have GoreTex Paclite and non-GoreTex pants and jackets that look very similiar) is much lighter and more stretchy than the comparable GoreTex product, Paclite. It's a very thin, waterproof only shell, meaning it can be worn year round, like GoreTex Paclite...it has no liner to keep you warm. Just make sure you get the 20,000mm rated one, as they have some older ones still in circulation that were rated less than this.

Just be careful with sizing, as their outerwear is still based off Euro styling, and is a full size smaller than US sizing.

I own all of the above I've mentioned, and will soon try Kjus with all the glowing reports I hear from people (who I trust) who've used it. It's just hard to get over here it seems.

Again, I also use GoreTex. Most that know me on GolfWRX know I'm a total Galvin Green 'ho, and they are exclusively GoreTex. I like them more for the styling and fit, as opposed to the membrane they are using. I also know from experience that if they used other membranes, they could get things that stretch and move more, too. GoreTex stretch just doesn't stretch as much as other stretchable membranes. And my emergency rain jacket and pants (a set in each vehicle, at the front door at home, and office at the course, and my gear bag) is a black Under Armour GoreTex Paclite jacket/pant set. So I do use GoreTex, I just know they aren't the only game in town. But they are a sure bet to staying dry, if you don't know anything else.

Chris,

Seriously great posts in succession and thanks.

You cut through a lot of cliches in those two posts!

Exactly the reply I was looking for. I am the same h/w so Medium it is - jacket and pants.

Thank you! I have a Bandon trip coming up in April and want to prepare ahead of time.

When you get the jacket....if it feels a little larger than you were expecting at first.......remember to use the velcro straps, just above both pockets to pull the sides in. Then use the pull cords on both ends of the jacket bottom to tighten further and you can make it fit as tight or as loose as you like.

Thanks for the reply! I had not heard of ProQuip, need to check them out. Sizing will certainly be a problem if they aren't readily available stateside.

My club in Portland is one of the few CCs in the US that carry Galvin Green. I love the styling but I am a "tweener" when it comes to their sizing. Large is too tight, XL is too big. So I have been sticking with the "non-trim" cut Sunice GoreTex in size large. Fits great and is bombproof. My Sunice shell is now 10 years old and still going strong. Wash it every year with Nik-xxx (can't remember the full name) and coat it with another Nik product (again can't remember the name) and it is as good as new.

I also have a Columbia OutDry hoodie jacket and while it is very waterproof, it is very "clammy" inside. It does not breath well IMHO. Basically a lightweight rubber jacket to me. I keep it for a rain jacket (awesome) when going out in the rain, but would not use it for any other physical activity.

Ah...yeah, I could see that with some of the OutDry pieces. The one I have is the reversible one, that has one side as the OutDry membrane, the other as a fabric bonded to the membrane. So you have the option of wearing it with the rubbery OutDry surface on the inside (which makes it look like a traditional jacket), or on the outside. I wear it in the latter fashion, with the fabric side inward, against my skin, to prevent that clammy feeling. Basically like wearing GoreTex Paclite or any other 2-layer waterproof jacket inside-out (it's just that the OutDry is designed to be worn as such).

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to update this thread (for those that are nerdy about this stuff like I am) with a link to an article I've been searching for for quite some time. Gives kind of a peak into the inside of the waterproof garment industry. Very interesting reading.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1898541/insane-membrane