New Snell Golf Balls in 2018

kclayton16

Sounds good. Hopefully there will be some places out there doing ball reviews so we can get some numbers and see how the balls behave differently!

In the Bag

Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1 460

3W - Titleist TS3 14.25º

Srixon ZX-U 18° Iron bent 1° weak - KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid 85g

Irons - Taylormade P770 - N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 120, 2º flat

Wedges - 50° Vokey SM7, 54° Vokey SM7, 60° TM HiToe/60° Callaway MD3 PM Grind

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MTB has been very successful and well liked so I did not want to make a huge change and take that out of the line up... the biggest thing we heard from people with respect to MTB was driver spin could be lowered... but dont change anything else... second was can we keep driver but add more approach iron spin, but keep spin around green same.. third was can we make tour ball in yellow... so MTB BLACK will be lower with Driver spin... this should help make the distancea little longer, but also may fit more players who have trouble with spin with their drivers.. The feel is also a little softer from tee to green due to the core compression being lowered...

MTB RED is similar driver spin to the original MTB, but we added the 4th layer to add spin to the approach shots.. 6, 7, 8, 9 PW AW and full SW shots will be higher in spin than MTB BLACK... around the greens they become similar again...

We did create the test pack which allows you to have 2 sleeves of each model, and have a chance to give it a full 9 hole test...

The MTB has been very successful and well liked so I did not want to make a huge change and take that out of the line up... the biggest thing we heard from people with respect to MTB was driver spin could be lowered... but dont change anything else... second was can we keep driver but add more approach iron spin, but keep spin around green same.. third was can we make tour ball in yellow... so MTB BLACK will be lower with Driver spin... this should help make the distancea little longer, but also may fit more players who have trouble with spin with their drivers.. The feel is also a little softer from tee to green due to the core compression being lowered...

MTB RED is similar driver spin to the original MTB, but we added the 4th layer to add spin to the approach shots.. 6, 7, 8, 9 PW AW and full SW shots will be higher in spin than MTB BLACK... around the greens they become similar again...

We did create the test pack which allows you to have 2 sleeves of each model, and have a chance to give it a full 9 hole test...

So is it too simplistic to say that on little 30, 40, 50 yard shots around the green, the amount of spin is pretty much determined by the cover?

More specifically, when you make changes inside to the number or type of mantle layers or the core compression as long as you keep the cover the same the short game behavior will not change?

So is it too simplistic to say that on little 30, 40, 50 yard shots around the green, the amount of spin is pretty much determined by the cover?

More specifically, when you make changes inside to the number or type of mantle layers or the core compression as long as you keep the cover the same the short game behavior will not change?

The cover plays a key role in the short game spin.. it works with the outer firmer mantle layer to pinch and create spin on these shots... when a driver is hit, the impact is well into the core of the ball and the core and mantle layers control the spin... now when mid and short approach shots are hit, it is a combo of the cover and mantle layers that control that spin... so we play with the layers, materials in the layers, thicknesses of these layers, etc to create the desired performance..But long answer short, the soft urethane covers does help this short game feel, spin and control.

Ordered the test pack and cant wait for it to arrive (actually, I can, as the ground is covered with snow...). You say that the new Black is softer in feel compared to the original MTB, but how does the Red compare to the original? I was a huge fan of the feel around the green and off the putter, and the slight increase in firmness helped draw me away from the Chromesoft as my everyday ball.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

What is the compression on the two new balls? Kudos for adding a yellow choice for a tour ball. But, why did you decide to use it on the 4 piece ball and not the 3 piece one?

What is the compression on the two new balls? Kudos for adding a yellow choice for a tour ball. But, why did you decide to use it on the 4 piece ball and not the 3 piece one?

The Red is a very different ball, thus I suspect Snell expects it to be a lot more popular than the Black. If that is the case, it would also seem the market for a yellow ball would be more robust for the Red vs. the Black. If Snell couldn't see themselves doing both in yellow, doing it in the Red makes sense.

The Red is a very different ball, thus I suspect Snell expects it to be a lot more popular than the Black. If that is the case, it would also seem the market for a yellow ball would be more robust for the Red vs. the Black. If Snell couldn't see themselves doing both in yellow, doing it in the Red makes sense.

From what I understand it's much harder to create a yellow thermocast ball (MTB Black) and easier to paint the TPU ball (MTB Red). That's more likely why it's available in yellow. I seem to remember Dean explaining this as well a few months ago.

the red was the ball i thought i would like, but now i think the black will suit my game, i want as low driver spin as i can get, with good wedge spin. its softer then the red and the current mtb....i think this will be the ball i will test

Get the sample pack - you never know. You might like the red.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Canadian website not updated, looks like we can't get the new ones yet!? And the older versions are $235/6dz. vs. $150 in the US?! Something wrong here!? :(

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I would be interested to hear from Dean regarding MTB Black having the Cast Urethane cover and the MTB Red having the Thermoplastic Urethane. Is the use case performance wise going away from cast with the improved TPU formulas? Supposedly, TM/Titleist still use cast with everyone else (bridgestone/callaway/srixon) using TPU.

Titleist recently kinda, sorta "released" their first ever yellow Urethane ball. I wonder if it had a TPU cover.

To date everyone, including MTB Red, with a yellow urethane cover has had (as far as I can figure out) the TPU formulation. The models with cast thermoset, including MTB Black, are always white-only.

Or at least it seems that way. Complete information on cover formulations is not easily available across the board. And very few (read zero) makers are as forthcoming as Dean!