New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

JJordiJ

Dont agree with the CS being shorter than anything else. Did some serious ball testing in trackman last spring w all tour balls between wedges, irons and driver. CS was top 3 in distance in everything but wedges where it was middle of the pack. B330s was the runaway winner for distance in all categories though, not even close

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told by a local golf tech that these new Chrome Soft and CSX are going to be closer to ProV1 prices. Seems like this would cost them a significant portion of their appeal, but definitely would be unfortunate to CS lovers.

unfortunate. i think this is a mistake.

I agree. At the previous price point they could make some noise versus Titleist. If they are the same price, people will probably purchase the ProV.

$40+ for a dozen golf balls is insanity. I honestly don't know how guys do it. I agree, price increase for Callaway is a mistake. They were making a small dent in Titleist and stole a lot of market share from Bridgestone. You are just asking to give that back at these prices.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I've been told by a local golf tech that these new Chrome Soft and CSX are going to be closer to ProV1 prices. Seems like this would cost them a significant portion of their appeal, but definitely would be unfortunate to CS lovers.

I agree. At the previous price point they could make some noise versus Titleist. If they are the same price, people will probably purchase the ProV.

$40+ for a dozen golf balls is insanity. I honestly don't know how guys do it. I agree, price increase for Callaway is a mistake. They were making a small dent in Titleist and stole a lot of market share from Bridgestone. You are just asking to give that back at these prices.

This

Ball performs like a $45 “premium” ball but the pricepoint was the fuel for the fire that made this ball hot. The momentum gained will stall imo. As a matter of principle paying over $40/doz just makes me cringe. Crotchety Old man syndrome I guess

Played my 1st round with the new chrome soft yesterday. I was at a Callaway release meeting the day before.The new ball has graphene ( lighter and stronger than anything - asheet of this stuff covering football field weighs less than a dime ).Balls peed increase are about 3 mph with this ball.Iwas playing the new Bridgestone b series rx. I found the CS slighter longer 3- 5 yards but feeling better off the putter . The callaway slide show showed the new ball has a larger core which is more responsive.I did notice this ball spins well for stopping.

Going to come down to CSX, TP5 or new ProV for me this year.

100% agree... I've loved the chrome soft. It has become my go to ball, especially the pink truvis. If they cost the same as ProV, I'll choose a Prov1.

On second thought, if they become as expensive as Prov1, I'll switch to another ball. I just won't pay $45+ for a dozen balls.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Always been a ProV1x user but seriously tempted to try the CS X

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70  

Ping G400 irons 5-AW with steel AWT shafts

Callaway MD4 Wide sole wedges 54* & 58*

Seemore Nashville One Studio Series

I'm confused why people are so upset over $5? Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging your income, budget, etc. Hear me out.

A new dozen PV1/PV1x costs $47.99 @ Dicks right now online. If the CS/CSX go from $39.99 to $44.99, they are still cheaper. Not as cheap, but still cheaper. Not to mention if this new ball costs more to make in terms of this new material, better believe that price is getting passed to consumers.

My point is this - if you like a ball, and it truly performs for you, isn't paying another .42c per ball worth it? From a budget standpoint, that's one less coffee per month, or skipping one drive-thru meal. Your other option is to buy the 2017 versions at the discounted price. There will still be tons of them available for a while.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

3mph ball speed increase would be crazy. I'm not sure that is possible under current USGA rules however.

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/TPX3006-overall-distance-and-symmetry-test-procedure.pdf

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I’ve been playing this ball for a few months now...

All I can say is WOW! It spins more on chip shots around the greens and less off of the driver.

Feel is great! I’ve played Chrome Soft for a while now, I’ll use Chrome Soft X this year and it feels awesome.

In the Australian market it will retail for $5 more per dozen, considering the performance it is a small price to pay.

I'm confused why people are so upset over $5? Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging your income, budget, etc. Hear me out.

A new dozen PV1/PV1x costs $47.99 @ Dicks right now online. If the CS/CSX go from $39.99 to $44.99, they are still cheaper. Not as cheap, but still cheaper. Not to mention if this new ball costs more to make in terms of this new material, better believe that price is getting passed to consumers.

My point is this - if you like a ball, and it truly performs for you, isn't paying another .42c per ball worth it? From a budget standpoint, that's one less coffee per month, or skipping one drive-thru meal. Your other option is to buy the 2017 versions at the discounted price. There will still be tons of them available for a while.

For me, I liked the CSX and the TP5 equally and the only reason I picked the CSX was the cost. If it goes to 44.99, I would probably still play it, but I would be tempted to play the TP5 or ProV1X because the cost is now comparable. At $39.99 the CSX was a value, at least to me.

Now, if the new ball is better than the old one, which to me would be hard to imagine then I might just play the new one.

Played with the 2018 CS X. Just a ball to me. I never can never tell a difference. Just want a ball that feels good.

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

I've been playing this ball for a few months now...

All I can say is WOW! It spins more on chip shots around the greens and less off of the driver.

Feel is great! I've played Chrome Soft for a while now, I'll use Chrome Soft X this year and it feels awesome.

In the Australian market it will retail for $5 more per dozen, considering the performance it is a small price to pay.

How do the 2018 Chrome Soft and CSX compare in terms of feel off the putter vs. the 2017 versions? I play the 2017 CS now because the CSX does not feel soft enough for me. Will the 2018 CSX feel soft enough to please a player who counts on a soft ball for putting and chipping?

I’ve been playing this ball for a few months now...

Feel is great! I’ve played Chrome Soft for a while now, I’ll use Chrome Soft X this year and it feels awesome.

Seems like the ball that changed the ball has the potential to be just like every other premium ball this year. I hope the keep a similar feel from the 17-18 ball.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

If they go up in price, I'll buy all I can of the 2016 Truvis Red and when they are gone I will be going back to the Q Star Tour. Not enough difference for me to pay double the price, but $10-$15 dozen more over a Qstar I will. I can get Qstar Tours for $22 at my club. CS were $36.99 and then dropped to $31.99 at the pro shop.

Because under $40 was a good price. Over $40 is not a good value to me. I'm not a pro, the balls in the low to mid $30 price range work good enough for my game and I'm a plus handicap. I've never hit a mid price ball and thought, I'm really held back by this $35 ball...

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Because for some reason people don't use any logic or rationality in golf and would still say "well for that much I'll just buy ProV1's" even though the others could likely be a better performing ball for them.

Because for some reason people don't use any logic or rationality in golf and would still say "well for that much I'll just buy ProV1's" even though the others could likely be a better performing ball for them.

there have been multiple logical and quite rational posts regarding price vs performance and why this ball was so popular when its under $40/doz .. you seemed to have miss the point

That's just my point, Oldboy. If the ball performs, price shouldn't be that big of a deal. Especially .40 a ball. If I found a ball that actually did what I hoped it would do and performed as well as I think it is, then I'm going to keep using that ball as long as I can at almost any price point. I would never understand the logic of changing a ball that was clearly performing over a few dollars.

Now, the people just playing it who 'liked it' but could go either way, sure, those people I totally get. If they are willing to pay $45, they are probably willing to pay $48 and just play PV1's now instead, I totally get that. Their perceived value is now gone. I won't dispute that. But I would still say that they can buy older versions for a discount for a while and to stock up while they still can.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

Every other benefit story about technology using graphene is usually about it's strength/weight and flex. I'm curious to hear how it plays a role in a better golf ball?

And 10-15 yards off the tee!? C'mon

10-15 here, 10-15 there, it all adds up you know ! :stink: :beruo:

Join the Snell Golf VIP Club.

2 new tour balls ...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Heard players are picking up another 2-3mph in ball speed with the ball alone which is pretty crazy if true. Price wise we shall see if it's a good move. If they are really 2-3mph faster then other balls then people will pay $45 for them.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Not sure about the talk of CS being shorter. I liked the X better than regular CS but never saw much difference. I only noticed it was slightly shorter than my MTB, but all balls have been slightly shorter than MTB...

Mtb? Csx gave me half club more on irons and loved the feel. $44 = ? cally

MTB = Snell My Tour Ball (MTB). Best value ball for sure. Maybe best ball on the market.

I've been playing this ball for a few months now...

Feel is great! I've played Chrome Soft for a while now, I'll use Chrome Soft X this year and it feels awesome.

How do the 2018 Chrome Soft and CSX compare in terms of feel off the putter vs. the 2017 versions? I play the 2017 CS now because the CSX does not feel soft enough for me. Will the 2018 CSX feel soft enough to please a player who counts on a soft ball for putting and chipping?

Feel is great, I think the Chrome Soft X feels less “clicky” that last years model.

I used the “normal” Chrome Soft last year and feel like I could switch to the X for 2018.

Just as last year the X spins a little more on chipping and wedges.

I think the “normal” 2018 Chrome Soft feels pretty similar to last years, but the performance is better off chip shots/wedges.

Feel off the putter is really good, 2018 X is “less clicky” and “normal” Chrome Soft is very similar to the previous model.

Hope that helps!

For me, I liked the CSX and the TP5 equally and the only reason I picked the CSX was the cost. If it goes to 44.99, I would probably still play it, but I would be tempted to play the TP5 or ProV1X because the cost is now comparable. At $39.99 the CSX was a value, at least to me.

Now, if the new ball is better than the old one, which to me would be hard to imagine then I might just play the new one.

Performance of the 2018 Chrome Soft/Chrome Soft X, will be something to differentiate between the ProV1/X, TP5/X etc etc

I really believe the tech that is in this ball makes it perform better than anything else I have tried on the market.

Performance of the 2018 Chrome Soft/Chrome Soft X, will be something to differentiate between the ProV1/X, TP5/X etc etc

I really believe the tech that is in this ball makes it perform better than anything else I have tried on the market.

I can’t wait to try it.