RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

I've really enjoyed following this topic. Thanks to everyone for posting the details of their experience. I am really interested in seeing and hitting the M3 440. I had a 2017 M1 440 for a while last season until my nephew tried it,, he kills it, so it is now in his bag. I'm very anxious to try these new drivers.

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TMAG Trip Crew

Did I see a M4 8.5* ?????? Commercially available???

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

TMAG Trip Crew

Yes, M4 8.5 will be commercially available.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

TMAG Trip Crew

Yes, M4 8.5 will be commercially available.

Oh my........... change of “drawers”

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Anyone on the trip have a chance to hit their M3/M4 against the Callaway Redacted driver ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Anyone on the trip have a chance to hit their M3/M4 against the Callaway Redacted driver ?

Hit the M4 v Rogue yesterday at my club. Couldn't keep the Epic on the planet last year and the Rogue is slightly better then the Epic for me, meaning slightly less volatile. M4 on the other hand was solid and the toe correction is real, my miss is the toe and the TF correction is evident right away along with the ball speed retention - for reference all had Atmos Red in them.

Any of you guys switching to the TP ball after the trip?

I'm also curious to hear about any insight around that he TP5/TP5x line. Is it staying? New model coming out? Did your experience make you consider switching to either ball?

It was confirmed earlier in the thread that TP5/TP5x are sticking around this year (as expected).

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

scottaz - I love the 12 ugly girlfriends and the firesale references.

What other clubs are you replacing/buying from the feedback you gained on this trip?

I was having some fun writing that up but I do pretty well with my current iron set up. Keep in mind the 12 ugly's was based only on what I saw when Perry put me in other combo's. The flight, spin and launch all changed in a good way. It was the same for the driver, M2 HL and hybrid.

My normal flight, with most of my clubs, is very high and looked fragile compared to what he liked for me. It's not like I have trouble hitting my numbers intended for that club but his with changes it looked more explosive. Much lower and penetrating ball flight. Held the line better.

So I'll be taking that great experience and make some changes for sure. I don't want to rush it but did spend some time with the 790s and 730s and liked what I saw. Maybe do a combo. I love my Srixon's and may rebuild them. I may wait to see what their new line looks like. Or I could possibly do all of the above and have a shootout. New is always fun :partytime2:

The UDI is going in the bag for sure. So good!

I won a wedge and they're hooking us up with another, so I may pick up the gap as well and give them a shot vs. the Vokey's. I've never really liked TM wedges much but the ones I tested were sweet.

My M2 HL is toast. He hated it for me and I expected that. I just picked that up from Will P about a month ago to test and saw the same thing in my testing. Kenton hit it very well tho and I'll offer him the new friend discount. I expect to grab the M3. I loved that one. Perry wants me to do it at 13. But that may be too much for what I need on my course.

I'm also curious to hear about any insight around that he TP5/TP5x line. Is it staying? New model coming out? Did your experience make you consider switching to either ball?

This was a hot topic between Jory and myself. I told him I had trouble with the new 5x and thought it went too high and was difficult to control distances. He had a hard time believing that. It kept coming up and I felt a little like a troll. But did say each time I thought it was a me thing, and as it turned out, it may be.

I dig the 17' XV. They seem better in the wind for me and don't go as high or float. But once I make my changes, I'll be trying the 5x again.

Jory asked me to try the TP5 during our round and I played it most of the back nine and liked the flight better.

Nothing new this year but they were working on something for next year.

The write ups posted so far have been fantastic and painted a perfect picture of the details of the trip. Really well done fellas. I was there and still found some new info in Calvin’s post. I know the membership appreciates his talent behind the camera as well. My sincere thanks to Jory, Ryan and the entire team at TaylorMade for their hospitality. The entire trip start to finish was top notch.

I tried to document my experience as it was happening, so I am going to keep this write up more equipment and fitting focused. Also, I believe I amone of the few that have received their Trackman data, so I wanted to get that up for the numbers guys.

My game and Driver:

Currently a 2 handicap with swing speed bouncing around in the mid to upper 110s. I play about 20-30 rounds a year now that I’m married with a 2 year old son, but I did play competitive golf in my high school and college days. I’ll post trackman data to give you guys a better idea, but if you’re curious my swing is also in the video from Calvin’s post (I’m the second guy from the right in the green shirt). I have played every 2016 and 2017 M1 and M2 driver (aside from the D-Type, which I still think is a good club) for at least a handful of rounds over the last couple years. I’ve had both retail and tour issue versions of most of them as well, so I feel like I have a solid knowledge of what a TM driver can/will do for me. Outside of TM, I’ve only gamed Ping drivers of the last several years. The driver I brought with me is a Ping G400 10* LST w/ Diamana B 70 X. Notice I did not say gamer. In full disclosure, I have never gamed this driver. In fact, I took the plastic off the head on the range at Aviara on Wednesday. I kind of blew up the top end of my golf back after my last round the first week of October and decided I wanted to try the G400 LST. I still don’t currently have a fairway wood.

My last fitting was in April of last year and I was fit for an M1 440 9.5 w/ HZRDUS T1100 75 6.5 shaft. I have the trackman data from the fitting to compare to the M3/M4 fitting. On perfect/very good strikes, the M1 440 was incredibly impressive, however with my practice time (none) it wasn’t as consistent as I needed it to be. I ended up playing most of the year with a M1 460 9.5 and experimented a little with the M2.

The Kingdom Fitting:

I was matched up with Jason Werner for my fitting. Jory said he picked each fitter based on what he gathered from our game/setup/posts. Our personalities seemed similar and it things went smoothly. I started my warm up working through my bag as if I was playing a round. LW, PW, 7 irons and 3 irons. I wanted to make sure I was warm when I hit the G400 to give it a fair shake. The G400 LST performed very well considering I was not fit for this driver. I had played similar set ups in the past with good results, so it wasn’t exactly blind but you get the idea. The first TM setup Jason put together for me was the M4 9.5 w/ Atmos Red 7x. The numbers were good, but the feel wasn’t there for me at all. I prefer more of a one piece feel. Any time I can sense the shaft loading at the top, it feels like it’s wrapping around my back and I have no control of the clubface whatsoever. Jason then switched in the Atmos Blue 7x. This felt better than the red, but still not what I was looking for at all. He mentioned again, that the numbers were good, but we could do a little better and we had to get the feel sorted out. The third setup I hit was the M4 9.5 w/ Tour AD BB 7x. After two shots, I turned and said it was by far the best feeling setup of the three so far and Jason replied, “good, because these are the best numbers we’ve had too”. I hit 5-8 more shots with this combo and we both knew it was going to be tough to beat.

I switched in an M3 9.5 with the AD BB 7x to make sure we had the right head. While I hit M3 well and I preferred the look slightly, the M4 consistently game me an extra 1-2 MPH ball speed and dispersion was slightly more consistent. I pulled in the M3 440 for a few swings toward the end, but fatigue was setting in a bit and I just wasn’t finding the sweet spot. I know golf isn’t standing there hitting 60 drivers in a row, but it made me think that toward the end of a round, it could be a little more work than I want to be doing.

Throughout the fitting we were aiming between two posts in the fence at the end of the Kingdom range. This “fairway” was about 20 yards wide, so if you were hitting it consistently, you knew you had a winner. There several strikes with the M4/BB combo that felt identical to some from the G400 that held a better line. Again, TwistFace is not a miracle cure-all, but I hit shots within 20 minutes of each other, with strikes that felt the same, react differently with the M4 vs the G400. It’s like a lot of guys have been saying. This isn’t going to put a really poor shot in the fairway, but I believe it may keep a couple balls out of the woods or keep you in the edge of the fairway and out of the second cut in a given round. This was especially true with the toe hook miss.

Trackman Data:

Kingdom Fitting

Club Champion Fitting - 4.3.17 - for comparison

As you can see, many of the numbers were very close with the M4 was marginally longer overall, but I would call it a wash in distance. However, the M4 was much more consistent than the G400 and had faster ball speeds. I would attribute that to the improvements TM has made in the engineering of the M4. In Bazzel’s presentation he showed the M4 sweet spot (the zone of at least .800 COR) was increased by 67% (if I remember correctly), with the majority of that increased area being higher and toward the heel and toe. The M4 wasn’t a monumental improvement for me if you look at the raw numbers, mainly because there was only so much improvement to be had. What the M4 did give me was more consistent ball speed, better dispersion as well as my longest drive of the day, I’ll certainly take that.

Another note, this was my first proper outdoor fitting and I don't think I'll be able to trust an indoor fitting again. The ability to see the actual ball flight is invaluable.

In my earlier “preview” fitting post, I mentioned an odd experience during the long drive contest. The full story is after our fittings, we had lunch and the driver I was fit with was disassembled as the TM crew were cleaning up the range. When it came time for me to hit, I grabbed a 9.5 M4 and popped the AD BB 7x in there and figured I would be good to go. We had 4 shots to get our longest and straightest drive. I hit my second shot as good as any during my fitting and Perry, who was running the Trackman, shouted out my distance. It was 20 yards short of my average in the fitting. I hit the next two in similar fashion with the same results. Perry said spin was up over 2700. I was suddenly VERY unsure about my fit. After we finished the contests, Jason came back over and talked with me and immediately set up another trackman and we started again. He assembled the driver and after about 10-12 balls, my averages were right back where they were at the end of the first fitting. I’m not sure what happened, I could have put the loft sleeve in incorrectly or used a weird ball or who knows, but I really appreciated Jason taking the time to go back through everything with me while everyone else had moved on. He told me to take it home, play with it and get back to him if there were any issues. Another testament to the pride these guys have in their work and the treatment you get at the Kingdom. I hit the driver really well on Friday at Aviara with the exception of two toe fades that still didn’t get me in any real trouble. I even kept up with Scott a few times. So as of now, I don’t have any complaints. I still have a T1100 65 6.5 with a TM tip, so I may play around with that as well once the season gets going.

Also, in my opinion, the looks and feel of the M4 are much improved over the ’17 M2. The shape seems slightly more pear shaped and less flat than the ’17 M2. I had two ’17 M2 heads that I simply couldn’t bring myself to play because of the sound. I never thought twice about the sound of the M4. While I didn’t have any M1s to compare to the M3, the sound and shape felt similar to me while the cosmetic changes are nice.

Misc Fitting:

After the driver fitting, we had some time before lunch so Jason went through some fairway woods and driving irons. I started with the M4 tour after talking to him about my previous woods and what I was looking for out of a fairway. The M4 has a great look, but I didn’t hit it as consistently as I would like. That may have been due to the stock shaft, since it’s a glued head and the aftermarket selection was limited. Jason then fit me in the M3 3HL and it was perfect. I ended up in the AD BB 8x .5” short of standard. Launch and spin were great and the shorter shaft gave me the consistency I was looking for. I was also fit in the P790 UDI with an AD DI hybrid shaft.

I am happy to answer questions anyone may have and I look forward to the replies picking apart my Trackman numbers.

So you’re the bomber in the green shirt! Nice swing man!

To the guys who went, how many of you were "fit" by a professional for the driver that you took to compare to the M3/M4? Do you think the results were derived in a big way by being fit by the best fitting professionals in the world with access to an inconceivable variety of shafts?

Thanks for sharing!

While I wasn’t professionally fit for the driver I brought with me, I have been fit for several previous drivers.

To me, the biggest advantage to this fitting or a fitting like it, is getting every aspect (raw numbers, head shape and feel, shaft profile and feel, etc) the attention they deserve. It removes as many variables as possible when I step up to the tee. Knowing I have the best equipment possible for my game instills confidence and leads to better play. Having a talented fitter, as I did with Jason, makes this process significantly less complicated and burdensome.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

This was a hot topic between Jory and myself. I told him I had trouble with the new 5x and thought it went too high and was difficult to control distances. He had a hard time believing that. It kept coming up and I felt a little like a troll. But did say each time I thought it was a me thing, and as it turned out, it may be.

I dig the 17' XV. They seem better in the wind for me and don't go as high or float. But once I make my changes, I'll be trying the 5x again.

Jory asked me to try the TP5 during our round and I played it most of the back nine and liked the flight better.

Nothing new this year but they were working on something for next year.

I think the TP5 is a great ball. And for the most part if you’ve had trouble with the TP5X, the TP5 seems to fit the bill for most people. I never felt like I hit the TP5X too high but certainly had problems with it in distance control. For me it seemed like I occasionally got “jumpers”. An Unexpected 10 yards. Had several times that I flew greens that seemed impossible. And I can only attribute that to less spin.

I did not have that problem with the TP5. Matter fact my only real problem with the ball was that it had a black number! But I got over that really quick.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

The reviews have been awesome and nice to see each persons reflection on the experience. Very much looking forward into my own assessment of the M3/M4 when I get the chance! Calvin, thanks for all the pics and thanks to all of the guys for giving us a glimpse and insight on the new offerings from TM! Looking forward to the UDI as well

[color=#696969]TaylorMade M2 8.5* w/ Matrix Black Tie M4 60TX[/color]
[color=#696969]Titleist 917 F2 w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo 757 TS TX[/color]
[color=#696969]Titleist 915 Hd 2 Hybrid[/color]
[color=#696969]Titleist 714 CB 3-PW DG X100[/color]
[color=#696969]Titleist Vokey SM6 50,56[/color]
[color=#696969]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/color]
[color=#696969]Taylormade TP5X[/color]

I want give more details about my M3 fitting. Some of us didn't get our trackman results. And my fitting was a bit discombobulated ( chose this word in honor of Tony Romo, who over used it all last night) since we had to stop and restart a few times.

I played the Epic SZ 9 all season. I was playing the 16' M2 before that and had the best driving season of my life with it. I got to test the SZ a little before it came out and the ball speeds were the best I've seen. I also found it pretty forgiving.

I played with it a lot during the winter and spring and loved the results. As it got warmer and I started swinging a little faster, I developed a little tail at the end of the flight. Good shots were leaking more and more left and I was missing fw's. I made several shaft changes. I was working way to hard to get it to work.

So I started testing the Ping G400 and LST. Both were giving me better results on the course. Needing less spin, I went with the LST. It's been lights out for me. So I had a low/low combo I was very confident in heading out west. Testing it vs my SZ at home, with the same shaft, I saw the ball speed drop a little ( think it was 176 to 172) both spun around 2300 for me. But the Ping was easier to find.

I hit my LST as I would expect during the warm ups. A little rusty for sure but felt the results were close enough for fair comparisons.

I normally hit up on the ball around 5-6 degrees. Launch is about 15. Season SS is about 115-118 and I usually miss high toe.

After Perry saw the results of the Ping, he said he didn't have anything out there for me and we needed to go try to find something that may work.

When we came back it was 1-2 swings, then adjust. We repeated that more times than I can remember. It was kind of hard to get into a groove. Towards the end of the fitting, we figured it out and then I had a good 20+ swings in a row with the final settings. Perry was pretty excited. He looked quite pleased with himself. lol.

The ball was going out in this little window over and over. The spin was consistently in the 1800-2000 range. The launch was lower, around 12 if I remember correctly.

Now that I was locked in, I started to focus on other things. I liked the feel of it. Much better than I remember the M2 feeling. The Ping feels more trampoline like, softer. Sounded great and I loved the way it frames ball. I like how both look a bit open at address.

I started trying to work it both ways. I'd love to play a fade but struggle with it at times. But it was becoming natural with this set up. That could be huge for me.

I played with missing low inside and high toe a bunch on my own later on the range. Like Brian said, this may be he new normal.

During our round I saw mostly a little draw or straight. I tried hitting a fade on two holes. The first time I caught it high toe and yanked it. Almost stayed in the fairway. The second time I caught it a little low and inside and it looked and felt great but was in the bunker and shorter than I expected.

Some think the pro's will benefit more than us hacks but I would disagree. I think may work for anyone who misses a little on either side of the head.

Sorry for another long one.

To the guys who went, how many of you were "fit" by a professional for the driver that you took to compare to the M3/M4? Do you think the results were derived in a big way by being fit by the best fitting professionals in the world with access to an inconceivable variety of shafts?

Thanks for sharing!

I wasn't professionally fit for my old gamer. It has been a few years since I've been fit. I think that being fit by the best professionals in the world with the largest shaft selection definitely helped my results. My dispersion got better in part due to the change in shaft. I also think my dispersion got better due to the Twist Face technology. I would attribute my distance gains to the confidence that I got from the fitting as well as knowing that my misses wouldn't be a disaster.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I want give more details about my M3 fitting. Some of us didn't get our trackman results. And my fitting was a bit discombobulated ( chose this word in honor of Tony Romo, who over used it all last night) since we had to stop and restart a few times.

I played the Epic SZ 9 all season. I was playing the 16' M2 before that and had the best driving season of my life with it. I got to test the SZ a little before it came out and the ball speeds were the best I've seen. I also found it pretty forgiving.

I played with it a lot during the winter and spring and loved the results. As it got warmer and I started swinging a little faster, I developed a little tail at the end of the flight. Good shots were leaking more and more left and I was missing fw's. I made several shaft changes. I was working way to hard to get it to work.

So I started testing the Ping G400 and LST. Both were giving me better results on the course. Needing less spin, I went with the LST. It's been lights out for me. So I had a low/low combo I was very confident in heading out west. Testing it vs my SZ at home, with the same shaft, I saw the ball speed drop a little ( think it was 176 to 172) both spun around 2300 for me. But the Ping was easier to find.

I hit my LST as I would expect during the warm ups. A little rusty for sure but felt the results were close enough for fair comparisons.

I normally hit up on the ball around 5-6 degrees. Launch is about 15. Season SS is about 115-118 and I usually miss high toe.

After Perry saw the results of the Ping, he said he didn't have anything out there for me and we needed to go try to find something that may work.

When we came back it was 1-2 swings, then adjust. We repeated that more times than I can remember. It was kind of hard to get into a groove. Towards the end of the fitting, we figured it out and then I had a good 20+ swings in a row with the final settings. Perry was pretty excited. He looked quite pleased with himself. lol.

The ball was going out in this little window over and over. The spin was consistently in the 1800-2000 range. The launch was lower, around 12 if I remember correctly.

Now that I was locked in, I started to focus on other things. I liked the feel of it. Much better than I remember the M2 feeling. The Ping feels more trampoline like, softer. Sounded great and I loved the way it frames ball. I like how both look a bit open at address.

I started trying to work it both ways. I'd love to play a fade but struggle with it at times. But it was becoming natural with this set up. That could be huge for me.

I played with missing low inside and high toe a bunch on my own later on the range. Like Brian said, this may be he new normal.

During our round I saw mostly a little draw or straight. I tried hitting a fade on two holes. The first time I caught it high toe and yanked it. Almost stayed in the fairway. The second time I caught it a little low and inside and it looked and felt great but was in the bunker and shorter than I expected.

Some think the pro's will benefit more than us hacks but I would disagree. I think may work for anyone who misses a little on either side of the head.

LOL...don't be sorry. This is exactly the kind of stuff we love to hear.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Thanks for sharing!

I wasn't professionally fit for my old gamer. It has been a few years since I've been fit. I think that being fit by the best professionals in the world with the largest shaft selection definitely helped my results. My dispersion got better in part due to the change in shaft. I also think my dispersion got better due to the Twist Face technology. I would attribute my distance gains to the confidence that I got from the fitting as well as knowing that my misses wouldn't be a disaster.

13yds is very nice carry gain! Add more control and you got yourself a winner

We are not sorry! You are giving us tremendous insight to your fitting.

You guys are doing a great job with your write ups. We do love all the insight.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Thanks for sharing!

Not fit for the driver I took.

Yes, in a very big way. But I didn't see anything close to a variety of shafts. That shocked me.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, in a very big way. But I didn't see anything close to a variety of shafts. That shocked me.

That's because they make a limited selection of shafts made out of rebar! ;)

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Wow! I just went through the posts of some of my GolfWRX comrades from the trip. Not only are they all great guys, but we've also got some solid sticks, excellent writers, and serious photographers (well, Calvin anyway)! There's absolutely no way I can compete with Calvin behind the lens, that would be like me trying to out-drive Kenton or Scott :swoon: , so I won't be redundant by posting my pics of the same scenes but of much lesser quality…lol!

Where to start? I'd have to say that for you guys to get an idea of what this trip was like, just imagine the experience of your dreams, then take it up several notches! TaylorMade went well above and beyond for us! Brian, Jory, Ryan and the rest are all just super people and made each of us feel welcomed and special. I sensed a very cool vibe at TM headquarters and everyone seemed enthused and happy to be working there. That's a credit to leadership, a healthy organizational culture, and the type of talent they acquire.

MY GAME:

I know when I read these things I like to know as much as possible about the reviewers to see how closely their profile might match my own, so I'll provide some details. I'll be 50 in a couple of months and did not play golf as a kid (wish I did). I played all the other sports but didn't pick up golf until after college, getting more serious when I was around 30. I retired in 2016, so I get to play a lot of golf!

Although I don't hit it quite as long as I did when younger, I have continued to improve over the years finishing this season as a 2.3 index which was actually at the higher end of where I was throughout the season. I won my club championship for the first time this year as well as our President's Cup (net match play) and I've been a member for 23 years. I live in NJ, play out of Old York CC in Chesterfield which is part of the Golf Association of Philadelphia (GAP).

You all can check out my WITB in my signature and see that I've got some really old and eclectic gear in there as well as some of the new stuff. I don't change equipment as often as most GolfWRXers and have played the same putter pretty much since I started playing the game save for some failed experiments. I am however, always looking for the latest and greatest in drivers!

I do not have an aesthetically pretty swing by any standard…lol! (If you pull up WHC888's post on p.24 and view his Youtube video you'll see my swing. I'm the guy closest to the camera in the red shirt/black vest looking for my tee after I hit...lol)

It's fairly utilitarian and more of a body swing with a bit of a restricted release. I have a strong(ish) left hand grip and try to rotate hard through the ball swinging the handle left, striving for an inside-square-inside path, using rotation to keep the ball from over-drawing. Still, my standard ball flight is a high draw, though I will intentionally fade my driver on occasion if the hole calls for it. My overall ball striking is generally pedestrian but reasonably effective when I'm on; putting is by far my strength.

I had a helluva a time adjusting to the time change from east to west coast. It was probably a combo of anticipation/excitement, adrenaline, and alcohol, but I slept like crap the day before and through the entire trip. I'm talking about going to bed at midnight and waking at 3:30 a.m. unable to go back to sleep. Dinner Wednesday night was phenomenal, awesome food (I had a bison strip steak), lots of laughs, great wine, and great company, though I probably could have done without the nightcaps back at the hotel!

Thursday morning, the day of our fitting, I downed several cups of coffee and a Monster energy in an effort to recharge the batteries. Perhaps not a good idea in hindsight…lol... as the combo made me jittery and completely out of whack!

We arrived bright and early at TM headquarters (well, most of us anyway, CHRIS!) and got the royal treatment at TM headquarters from top to bottom. Brian Bazzell (VP of Product Creation) gave a phenomenal presentation and discussed the technological innovations in the new M3/M4 products.

THE TECHNOLOGY:

I know TaylorMade takes some heat on this site for some of their aggressive marketing claims, but let me tell you, they are extraordinarily passionate and serious about their products and the R&D that goes into them. We were all impressed with the process as described by Brian. His engineers have been working on the Twist Face tech for nearly four years. They tweaked, tested, and re-designed multiple iterations and analyzed a complex data set of over 500,000 shots hit by real golfers. In the end, Twist Face will result in a significant improvement in dispersion for the vast majority of players on shots missed toward the toe and/or heel. We're talking an aggregate improvement in dispersion (bringing it down from 14 to 3 yards) on strikes across the face! That is the type of tangible and measurable results they are constantly seeking through their product innovations.

Beyond Twist Face, they have also expanded the effective hitting area (sweet spot) with their new Hammerhead technology in the M3 & M4 heads. This was described as an evolution of the RBZ Speed Pocket, with a face that is 20% thinner and 17% lighter than their M1 & M2 drivers. The result is ball speeds that are measurably higher across the face and with a 67% larger max COR area!

The new Y-Track adjustable weighting on the M3 looks simple enough, but was very challenging to design. Impressively, Y-Track provides DOUBLE the amount of adjustability in center of gravity (COG) than the previous M1 designs! Again, tangible and measurable performance improvements, not just hype!

NOTE: In case you're wondering, the M3 comes stock with two 11g weights, but different weights will be available soon. The stock MRC Tensei shafts offered in the new M3 line are identical in materials and profile but without Boron in the tip, plus they will be offering some very nice no-charge and reasonably priced upgrade options.

KINGDOM FITTING:

We arrived at the Kingdom and were again aptly given royal treatment. Just though the front doors they have a small locker room and each of us had a locker with personal name placards…a very nice touch!

We saddled up, met our assigned fitters, and started warming up. Kurt Donahoo was my guy, cool dude, been around the game and in the fitting business for many years, and very clearly knew his stuff.

I started warming up with irons just to get loose, but knew pretty much right away that it was going to be a tough day from a golf swing standpoint for me. As described earlier, I was struggling a bit physically from a combo of exhaustion, hangover, plus the caffeine intervention. Anyway, I felt like crap and as expected, really struggled to make decent swings.

When I moved up to my EPIC SZ driver, I was not producing my normal ball flights. Instead of my usual draw, I was hitting mostly block cuts…not a good thing when you're already aiming right to accommodate the draw. Worse, I was not making great contact! Most attempts to turn one over resulted in nose-diving toe-pulls. Anyway, it was frustrating, but I thought perhaps it would be a good chance to see if Twist Face could help.

I know many of you are very analytical about Trackman data and love to look at all of the minutia when going through a fitting. I tried a different approach; I didn't look at all until the end. I let Kurt analyze my Trackman data and had him just hand me stuff to hit that he felt might work based on his experience. We ran the gamut in terms of weight, flex, bend points, etc. with shafts, and I hit all of the new heads including the M3 440. We left everything in neutral settings because it would not have been wise to make adjustments to a ball flight that was not anywhere close to typical for me. Instead we focused on feel, overall dispersion, spin, and ball speed. Any adjustable drivers I've previously played have always ended up in their neutral settings anyway.

I liked all three heads equally as well and could play any of them. TaylorMade really got aesthetics and the shapes right with this line. Until the M series, I was not a fan of the previous TM head shapes. I would say they're subtle changes versus the M1/M2s, silver from white on the crown being the most obvious. Sound and feel were very pleasing, offering just enough feedback to get a sense of the quality of strike.

So after hitting a bunch of shots with many different combos Kurt was able to zero in on the type of shaft that best suited me. I seem to do best with "boardier" profiles with stiff tips and no pronounced kick coming from any one particular area of the shaft…more of a one-piece type of feel. I did not do as well with softer tip designs or conversely those that were softer in the handle like the Tensei White. In the end we settled on the Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63 in stiff flex tipped one inch, not a glitzy, glamorous, or overly expensive shaft, just a work-horse…lol! I don't know what it would frequency out to, but one of the other fitters told me it's stiffer than many other manufacturer's X flex offerings in the same weight. Even though I was not swinging my best, this shaft produced the most reliable results and gave me comfort and confidence in terms of balance and feel throughout my swing. When I went back to the Epic for comparison it at once felt foreign.

Choosing the driver head was fairly easy. The M4 produced very slightly higher ball speeds (for me about 1.5 MPH) and knowing that I would not be tweaking the weighting anyway, it seemed to make the most sense. I could easily play any of the three including the 440, which is only about 10% less forgiving in terms of MOI than the regular M3. If you prefer a slightly more compact profile, don't hesitate or be intimidated about giving the 440 a try; it's very easy to hit! In the end it was the M4 head in 8.5 degrees of loft in all neutral settings.

Toward the end of my fitting Kurt shared the data with me that he collected from all shots with the new club without removing all but the worst clunkers. Here are the averages:

Club Head Speed 110, Ball Speed 158, Smash 1.44 (awful, but 100% on me), Launch 13.5, Spin 2400, Peak Height 109 ft.

My average club head speed seemed high for me as I figured I'd only average around 106/107. I even had a few just over 113 MPH which was surprising. I was swinging so poorly my overall smash factor average was really bad, and the best I could do with ball speed was 163.4. I really made a lot of bad swings with horrible sequencing that had me all over the face... and not a square face at that!. As I got tired (and let me tell you, hitting that many drivers will make you tired!) I started sliding ahead of it instead of rotating and things just got worse.

The numbers relative to my Epic Sub Zero were very close in most metrics, with the M4 spinning about 200 RPMs less with better dispersion. Everything else was very close (on average) for the above metrics with what was a reasonably large sample size on a poor swing day.

One really good takeaway from my fitting was that because I was missing both ways, I got to see the full benefits of Twist Face technology. Frustrated by hitting block cuts and not producing my normal draw, attempts to turn the ball over produced plenty of toed pull-draws and even a few hooks, which to me feel just about as bad as a shank, just in the opposite kind of way…lol!

Most halfway decent players can feel where on the face they've struck the ball, and I gave both the high toe and low heel a workout…lol! I can tell you that toe shots definitely stayed in the air longer and did not nose-dive nearly as dramatically with the M3/M4 drivers as with my Epic or any other driver I've played for that matter. It's actually a bit surprising as the ball just "hangs in there" and does not dive left as you might expect based on the strike! Heeled shots were also improved and produced more of a knuckling, hot type shot. Improving the club's performance on the most common mishits will most certainly help golfers improve their fairways hit percentages. Twist Face is real, and it's spectacular...lol!!! ;)

Jodi Ewart-Shadoff took a few minutes to help me with my game in between dialing in some new equipment for herself...lol:

ON THE COURSE:

We had a very early start on Friday morning since some of the guys had 2 p.m. flights. Even though I didn't get much more sleep than the previous night, I definitely drank less and was thankful for that when we got to the course. I was set up to play with Rob (GolfWRX HipCheck) in a match against Ryan and Matt. I don't like to play without a little action, so we set up a GolfWRX v. TM match. Ryan and Matt both play off of around 6, Rob's a 9 and I'm a 3, so we just decided to play straight up, no shots… Nassau bet with two down autos and an auto bump at the turn. I also set-up some indies with anyone else who was willing to match cards afterwards. Jory and I played for a bottle of expensive wine, but halved. Damn!

Still friendly at this point!

Aviara is a beautiful course. It's built in a valley with rolling terrain that can have you unsure which way is up versus down at times. It's a little bit visually intimidating for a first timer, though it proved to have plenty of room to hit it with the exception of a few quirky holes like the 10th. The greens are large and undulating and really require you to be in the right position after your approach or you will definitely have some three putts (I had four). We all got off to a decent start and I hit 3 wood from the tee and a wedge approach to the back of the green for an easy par and a halved hole.

My daughters tell me I suck at selfies, but at least the background is pretty! :)

The match was even after nine, so like any self-respecting degenerate, I suggested we carry the action from the front to the back. Rob played pretty well considering he had not played in quite a while. Ryan and Matt are obviously both good players with nice swings. Neither was particularly happy with his individual play, but they were the epitome of ham & eggs against us and ended up beating us 2 up. I tried to force a 20-foot birdie on 18 to try to pick up a press (we had doubled the presses on the back), but to no avail. Rob and I paid quickly to get the pain of it all over with…lol...!

All fun and games til it was time to pay! OUCH!

I only hit two drivers on the front nine and four on the back, so I didn't exactly give my new M4 a thorough workout. I was swinging much better than at my fitting and had my normal draw back. Most of my draws were as expected, though I did pull-snipe one on the back nine that ended up way better than expected and just off of the fairway. I attempted two fades off the tee to fit the hole shape, but missed both to the right. This likely had more to do with my alignment than anything else. I do feel that my new M4 set-up will resist going left better than my Epic, and that's a good thing. I ended up with 78 and finished out every hole! ( I hate Xs on the card)

After lunch Rob and I went back out for an "emergency nine" that turned into an "emergency twelve!" I hit a few more drivers than the first time through, making 3 birdies and 3 bogies. The M4 performed really well highlighted by a 338 yard draw that caught a down-hill speed slot (only way I could ever hit one that long...lol ), and a power fade on 18 that left me a gap wedge approach resulting in a final birdie... certainly a gratifying way to end the trip.

CONCLUSION:

Since this thing is turning into a novel (trans-continental flight boredom ;)) I'll wrap it up. This was an absolutely first-class trip from top to bottom and I cannot thank TaylorMade and GolfWRX enough! Beyond the new and exciting equipment, sumptuous meals, luxurious accommodations, and all the swag, getting to share it all with such an awesome bunch of golf nuts was definitely the best! I hope to remain in touch with everyone from this trip and will definitely be playing some golf this coming season with Scott (scottaz), Chris (Gamble Gamble), Kenton (Rob Swanson), and Rob (HipCheck) as we're all reasonably close to each other out here on the east coast. (Did I mention that Scott and Kenton are BEASTS? I'm talkin' Tour-level speeds!!!)

Many thanks to Brian, Jory, Ryan, Rob and everyone at TaylorMade for an unforgettable experience. If any of you have questions, please feel free to fire away and I'll do my best. Twist Face technology definitely works, and if it saves just one nose-diving tee shot from going OB, into a hazard, or into the gunch, then it's worth its weight in gold, as we all know those shots can be round wreckers!

I'm heading to FL later this week and then the Dominican Republic during Super Bowl week, so I'll be putting my new M4 through its paces and will be sure to provide feedback and updates!

Hit 'em long and straight guys and gals! :)

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Thanks for sharing!

That's because they make a limited selection of shafts made out of rebar! ;)

They fit pro's there! :WTF: :WTF: