Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

Where is everyone going to practice and hit balls this winter? I think the weather has officially killed all hopes of playing for the next few months. Id like to hit balls and putt.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Grey Eagle or Riverside. Each has heated stalls and an indoor putting green. Heated stalls are good as long as the weather is in the 20s or better (with low winds). Just be careful at Grey Eagle, their putting green runs at about a 15. I practiced on it a lot one winter and went to Orlando and couldn’t get a putt near the hole the first day.

The golf expo was pretty underwhelming. I thought things were overpriced at best and the volume of people constantly talking on the loud speaker was annoying. It was cool to get to see some new clubs and think about golf in the middle of winter, but I don’t plan on making it an annual trip.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

it is a slow night at work, so i thought i would do some writing for this thread. I grew up in the Muncie area, and I can give reviews for all of the courses there. These are all about 45 minutes to an hour from the circle so well within the greater Indianapolis area.

Lakeview Greens: This was my home course in high school and it is a run of the mill course at best. The conditions are less than desirable most to the time. I was a member out here when i was in my teens, so i learned how to golf on this course. The course is pretty open and flat. The front is par 35 and plays much easier than the back which plays par 37 with 2 of the longest holes in Delaware County in 16 and 17. This course can be scored on easily if you keep the ball in play. The fairways are rock hard in the summer time so hitting 300 yard drives with 50 yards of roll is the normal. The greens are always in good shape and roll pretty well. The best hole on this course is 7 which is also the number 1 handicap. It is a 420 yard par 4 with out of bounds the entire length of the hole right and a creek down the left. The green is slightly elevated and protected by a creek short. This hole really a good challenge. The staff is friendly and knows its members well. The goofiest thing about this course is the fact that they are cash only. I always have to remember to take cash before i play out there. You can walk 18 for under 15 bucks most of the time which is hard to beat.

Albany Golf Club: Best bang for your buck in the area. This is legitimately one of the best 20 dollar courses you'll ever play. The conditions are always great except some of the tee boxes are not flat. They seem to have a roundness to them. This course offers a decent challenge including the toughest opening hole in the area. The front 9 plays a little tougher than the back, but the course offers several holes where birdie or eagle can be made. My favorite hole out here is 17 which is a short par 5. It is a good chance to make eagle or double. The pond short and right of the small narrow green really makes the player decide whether they want to go for it in 2 or not. I hate that stupid tree in the middle of the fairway on 18. The greens are always in good shape and play firm. The staff is very nice but they can be "particular" about small things around the course at times.

Maplewood: JR who is the owner and runs the place is a hell of a guy. My favorite part of Maplewood is the fact that there is a game going on about everyday. If you are interested in playing a choose up or something similar this is the course for you. The course is always in better than average shape and it is reasonably prices. It has a few gimmick holes including 11 which also has a tree in the middle of the fairway. I am not a fan of this hole either. Number 3 is the best hole on this course. It is par 3 that plays about 180 yards. The green slopes hard right to left with a large bunker in front of the green. This hole gets interesting because out of bounds runs parallel to the right of the hole and the wind always seems to be pushing that way. The safe miss is left of the green and the wind pushes the opposite direction. There isn't anything terribly exciting about Maplewood, but its members love it.

Cardinal Hills: This is my favorite golf course in the entire world. The staff is amazing and you won't get better customer service anywhere. This course is old and has lots of natural character. The greens are like postage stamps and on knolls, so this course will put your short game to the test. The conditions are ok, but they have improved drastically in the past 7 or so years. The fairways are like parking lots in the summer time as well depending on the heat index. The rough and fairway just basically run together. My favorite hole is number 4 where i got my ace. This is also the course where i shot my lowest score ever at (that was 6 years ago now). If you are in the area i highly recommend that you stop by and play this one.

The Players Club at Woodland Trails: This is a good course for the area especially. The conditions are usually the best of any public track in town. This course is slightly overpriced in my option especially for Muncie. A round here is pushing $50 on the weekend and its not that nice. The staff is always awesome and have been super friendly to me and my friends tor all the years we have been going there. The greens putt true and if the bunkers are in good shape they play really well. I love the links style of this course, and it adds a lot of variety of style to the area. This is the best course in town to have an event too due to the seating and accommodations. The food is really good and TPC has the best public practice area in town by a mile. This is a must play for anyone coming to Muncie, and you wont be disappointed.

Crestview: I have never been a big fan of this course. Its busy and overpriced. The conditions are below average and there is nothing special about this course. The greens are huge and are generally in pretty good shape. The power line going across the first tee is annoying. The pro shop staff is adequate. The course really all and all is just meh. The most exciting hole is probably #10 which is a par 5 that doglegs left. The green breaks more than you'd expect and its a good birdie/eagle. The best part of this course is the FOOD. Mulligans is awesome and the tenderloins are out of this world. I'd say stop in and have dinner, pass on the course.

Hickory Hills: This course is fairly mundane and the pro shop is really in need of an update. The prices are pretty reasonable but nothing here sticks out for me. I've played it at least a couple dozen times, and i've just never been excited to be golfing here. The conditions are fine and you can score here pretty easily. There is no real trouble except out of bounds on several holes. The greens roll fairly well and the fairways are concrete. The parking at this course is always a nightmare may be my biggest complaint of all. If your from out of town I'd pass on this course.

Killbuck: A quality course for the money. I love the layout and how rustic this course is. it is very old with lots of trees. Its not overly long but plays as a challenge. The greens are always in immaculate and the fairways cut nicely. The staff is Very friendly and accommodating. This is a course i only started playing in the past 5 or 6 years and wish i would make it a priority to get there more often. It has grown on me over the past few years and become one of my favorites.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

it is a slow night at work, so i thought i would do some writing for this thread. I grew up in the Muncie area, and I can give reviews for all of the courses there. These are all about 45 minutes to an hour from the circle so well within the greater Indianapolis area.

Lakeview Greens: This was my home course in high school and it is a run of the mill course at best. The conditions are less than desirable most to the time. I was a member out here when i was in my teens, so i learned how to golf on this course. The course is pretty open and flat. The front is par 35 and plays much easier than the back which plays par 37 with 2 of the longest holes in Delaware County in 16 and 17. This course can be scored on easily if you keep the ball in play. The fairways are rock hard in the summer time so hitting 300 yard drives with 50 yards of roll is the normal. The greens are always in good shape and roll pretty well. The best hole on this course is 7 which is also the number 1 handicap. It is a 420 yard par 4 with out of bounds the entire length of the hole right and a creek down the left. The green is slightly elevated and protected by a creek short. This hole really a good challenge. The staff is friendly and knows its members well. The goofiest thing about this course is the fact that they are cash only. I always have to remember to take cash before i play out there. You can walk 18 for under 15 bucks most of the time which is hard to beat.

Albany Golf Club: Best bang for your buck in the area. This is legitimately one of the best 20 dollar courses you'll ever play. The conditions are always great except some of the tee boxes are not flat. They seem to have a roundness to them. This course offers a decent challenge including the toughest opening hole in the area. The front 9 plays a little tougher than the back, but the course offers several holes where birdie or eagle can be made. My favorite hole out here is 17 which is a short par 5. It is a good chance to make eagle or double. The pond short and right of the small narrow green really makes the player decide whether they want to go for it in 2 or not. I hate that stupid tree in the middle of the fairway on 18. The greens are always in good shape and play firm. The staff is very nice but they can be "particular" about small things around the course at times.

Maplewood: JR who is the owner and runs the place is a hell of a guy. My favorite part of Maplewood is the fact that there is a game going on about everyday. If you are interested in playing a choose up or something similar this is the course for you. The course is always in better than average shape and it is reasonably prices. It has a few gimmick holes including 11 which also has a tree in the middle of the fairway. I am not a fan of this hole either. Number 3 is the best hole on this course. It is par 3 that plays about 180 yards. The green slopes hard right to left with a large bunker in front of the green. This hole gets interesting because out of bounds runs parallel to the right of the hole and the wind always seems to be pushing that way. The safe miss is left of the green and the wind pushes the opposite direction. There isn't anything terribly exciting about Maplewood, but its members love it.

Cardinal Hills: This is my favorite golf course in the entire world. The staff is amazing and you won't get better customer service anywhere. This course is old and has lots of natural character. The greens are like postage stamps and on knolls, so this course will put your short game to the test. The conditions are ok, but they have improved drastically in the past 7 or so years. The fairways are like parking lots in the summer time as well depending on the heat index. The rough and fairway just basically run together. My favorite hole is number 4 where i got my ace. This is also the course where i shot my lowest score ever at (that was 6 years ago now). If you are in the area i highly recommend that you stop by and play this one.

The Players Club at Woodland Trails: This is a good course for the area especially. The conditions are usually the best of any public track in town. This course is slightly overpriced in my option especially for Muncie. A round here is pushing $50 on the weekend and its not that nice. The staff is always awesome and have been super friendly to me and my friends tor all the years we have been going there. The greens putt true and if the bunkers are in good shape they play really well. I love the links style of this course, and it adds a lot of variety of style to the area. This is the best course in town to have an event too due to the seating and accommodations. The food is really good and TPC has the best public practice area in town by a mile. This is a must play for anyone coming to Muncie, and you wont be disappointed.

Crestview: I have never been a big fan of this course. Its busy and overpriced. The conditions are below average and there is nothing special about this course. The greens are huge and are generally in pretty good shape. The power line going across the first tee is annoying. The pro shop staff is adequate. The course really all and all is just meh. The most exciting hole is probably #10 which is a par 5 that doglegs left. The green breaks more than you'd expect and its a good birdie/eagle. The best part of this course is the FOOD. Mulligans is awesome and the tenderloins are out of this world. I'd say stop in and have dinner, pass on the course.

Hickory Hills: This course is fairly mundane and the pro shop is really in need of an update. The prices are pretty reasonable but nothing here sticks out for me. I've played it at least a couple dozen times, and i've just never been excited to be golfing here. The conditions are fine and you can score here pretty easily. There is no real trouble except out of bounds on several holes. The greens roll fairly well and the fairways are concrete. The parking at this course is always a nightmare may be my biggest complaint of all. If your from out of town I'd pass on this course.

Killbuck: A quality course for the money. I love the layout and how rustic this course is. it is very old with lots of trees. Its not overly long but plays as a challenge. The greens are always in immaculate and the fairways cut nicely. The staff is Very friendly and accommodating. This is a course i only started playing in the past 5 or 6 years and wish i would make it a priority to get there more often. It has grown on me over the past few years and become one of my favorites.

Nice synopses!

I'm just up in Blackford county so I've played most of these as well.

Late Fall I played in a scramble at Maplewood with my son, a buddy and three locals (sixsome). Got second and won a turkey. There are some very colorful regulars at Maplewood. Ridiculously long, and cheap, drink pours. No complaints.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Since we're doing the outing there, interested to hear everyone's favorite hole at Purgatory. Arguably the most notable course in the area, which hole is most memorable? I would have to go with #2.

1. I personally love forced water carries off the tee.

2. Purgatory is known for it's bunkers and this one has the most harshly placed bunkers in my opinion.

My favorite hole at purgatory is "blinding cloud of smoke" or 16. This is the number 1 handicap hole on the course and for good reason. It is long and always seems to be playing into the freaking wind. The fairway is narrow with bunkers all the way down both sides. The green is small with a false front and multi-tiered and also surrounded by bunkers. It takes two great shots just to get on the green and par is always a great score here.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Curious if any of the local courses on the north side will be open on Friday. Weather is supposed to be nice but unfortunately all the courses up here are closed because they are all water logged. Anyone have any recommendations between Indy and Kokomo? A buddy and I are going to drive down to get a round in.

Curious if any of the local courses on the north side will be open on Friday. Weather is supposed to be nice but unfortunately all the courses up here are closed because they are all water logged. Anyone have any recommendations between Indy and Kokomo? A buddy and I are going to drive down to get a round in.

I think some of us are going to try to play friday at riverside. I messaged a bunch and they and Cardinal hills are the only ones i was told are open.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I think some of us are going to try to play friday at riverside. I messaged a bunch and they and Cardinal hills are the only ones i was told are open.

What time are you all playing? Never played in Indy not sure I'm familiar where either are. We would be coming down 31.

What time are you all playing? Never played in Indy not sure I'm familiar where either are. We would be coming down 31.

Were going to be playing at 12. Riverside is in the circle and cardinal hills is up in muncie.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Were going to be playing at 12. Riverside is in the circle and cardinal hills is up in muncie.

We wouldn't be getting in until 1-130ish. Shucks.

We wouldn't be getting in until 1-130ish. Shucks.

probably be turning by then and i am always up for 27. there will be atleast 3 or us maybe 4. also have you seen the post about the outing?

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

e2875a27eda793c1bdef9df475212b6e.jpg

Gray Eagle was open but predictably soaked today. Greens especially were a bit too soft. Every step produced water and I plugged it like this 3 times on the back 9. But, hey, at least I got to play in January twice.

Gonna try that course later this spring...just got the deal from Groupgolfer.

Hey guys! I’m new around here (WRX board). I’ve lived around Indianapolis since 2009 and just starting to get back in the game after several years away. I’ve got two young daughters, so I don’t get out much compared to you all, but it’s always tough to find someone to play with when I do get out. Anyway, finding this thread was a relief.

Hey guys! I’m new around here (WRX board). I’ve lived around Indianapolis since 2009 and just starting to get back in the game after several years away. I’ve got two young daughters, so I don’t get out much compared to you all, but it’s always tough to find someone to play with when I do get out. Anyway, finding this thread was a relief.

Welcome!

It's that time of year: IU or Purdue?

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Welcome!

It's that time of year: IU or Purdue?

Ha! Neither. As my handle alludes, I’m a displaced Longhorn fan.

I wanted to give a huge thanks and recommendation to fairway custom golf at Gray Eagle. Those guys are awesome and will be getting all my club work business from here going forward.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Welcome aboard! Where around Indy do you usually play? In the season, I'd say some combination of the guys in the thread and others get together 2-3 times a week to play. Are you a weekday or weekend player?

I’m new as well here, I live in Lafayette, but I play anywhere from Lebanon,to Kokomo, to Lafayette area. I’m only starting my second year in to golf fully so I’d like to get out and play some more this summer. My home course is Frankfort commons, mainly due to the fact that my sister works there and I golf for free. I might try to come to the get together at purgatory, I don’t have an official handicap however. I would say it around a 11-13 range though. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you guys!

I’m new as well here, I live in Lafayette, but I play anywhere from Lebanon,to Kokomo, to Lafayette area. I’m only starting my second year in to golf fully so I’d like to get out and play some more this summer. My home course is Frankfort commons, mainly due to the fact that my sister works there and I golf for free. I might try to come to the get together at purgatory, I don’t have an official handicap however. I would say it around a 11-13 range though. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you guys!

Come on out to the event. I wouldn’t sweat not knowing the official handicap. A lot of us use TheGrint to keep scores and handicaps. It’s a good free website for that kind of thing.

I’ve never played Frankfort commons. Ever play trophy club over that way? Love that course.

Come on out to the event. I wouldn’t sweat not knowing the official handicap. A lot of us use TheGrint to keep scores and handicaps. It’s a good free website for that kind of thing.

I’ve never played Frankfort commons. Ever play trophy club over that way? Love that course.

i actually just downloaded the app yesterday after reading about it. Frankfort is getting better, it got rough the past couple years but its making major progress. I actually have never played Trophy club but i plan to soon. I have driven by it a 1000 times.

Welcome aboard! Where around Indy do you usually play? In the season, I'd say some combination of the guys in the thread and others get together 2-3 times a week to play. Are you a weekday or weekend player?

I live in Greenwood, so usually play the courses down here. Southern Dunes and Hickory Stick. I did get the discount membership at the Legends, so will be playing there more this year. I play on the weekend most often, but will probably try to take advantage of a few afternoons this year.