2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

JJordiJ

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Chrome Soft but will think twice if the price is too high. If I have to pay a ProV price, I might as well get a ProV.

The biggest downside of the ProV1/X in my mind is that the ball is worn out after 9/18 holes. The 17 Chrome soft ball was made out of a white resin (iirc) that actual made the ball whiter after use.

Everyone that is saying, if it costs X amount, I'm playing a Titleist is foolish. If you will pay for a premium ball, then play the premium ball that is best for you.

Didn't like the X, like the Tru Vis black and yellow a lot, especially when putting. BUT I played the new Pro V1 last summer as well and absolutely loved it. I found it a better wind ball than the Tru Vis and liked it better off the tee, but those Tru Vis balls combined with my old Legacy Black Callaways were absolute spin machines from the fairway and stopped deader than dead.

They’re actually trying to sell the balls, not offer them up 3 for 1 like tickets in Ames :)

Cally needs to make a Cardinal and Gold Tru Vis.

?

I like the Chrome Soft but will think twice if the price is too high. If I have to pay a ProV price, I might as well get a ProV.

The biggest downside of the ProV1/X in my mind is that the ball is worn out after 9/18 holes. The 17 Chrome soft ball was made out of a white resin (iirc) that actual made the ball whiter after use.

Everyone that is saying, if it costs X amount, I'm playing a Titleist is foolish. If you will pay for a premium ball, then play the premium ball that is best for you.

For me there was no real difference between the CSX and the TP5 so cost became the deciding factor. If that is foolish so be it. I think for most the difference in premium balls is small so cost becomes the main factor. If there is no perceived value in the CSX, then why not play the proven ball?

Didn't like the X, like the Tru Vis black and yellow a lot, especially when putting. BUT I played the new Pro V1 last summer as well and absolutely loved it. I found it a better wind ball than the Tru Vis and liked it better off the tee, but those Tru Vis balls combined with my old Legacy Black Callaways were absolute spin machines from the fairway and stopped deader than dead.

They’re actually trying to sell the balls, not offer them up 3 for 1 like tickets in Ames :)

Cally needs to make a Cardinal and Gold Tru Vis.

?

I set myself up for that one.

Did Hawkeye's post get moderated for being too anti-Cyclone? What happened there? Lol

Is all in good fun.

Graphene. That's why the ball is so much better. Someone else already said, a sheet of the stuff would cover a football field and weigh as much as a dime.

They have mixed this super strong material into the cover of the ball, and made it urethane. Why is that so great? Because the cover of the ball is the thinnest possible. Why does that matter? Because the thinner cover creates that 2-3 MPH of ball speed everyone is talking about.

the new 18 ball will be long and soft and worth every penny.

IMO Callaway should have dropped the Chrome soft name with this ball because it's so much better it can't even be compared to the 17 ball. Rock is brilliant and Callaway does not want to be #2 in anything...

This is pretty much it, I was under the impression that the graphene was in the core not the cover but otherwise I agree with everything else.

I heard graphene was the secret sauce; but nobody was telling me where it was.

Graphene is very light; but very stiff. It's been used in the tennis industry for years so I'm really familiar with it.

If Ishi had input I would imagine he is going after what they did with the RZN material where they moved the MOI towards the outside of the ball. Using Graphene near the core because of the lightweight properties makes sense there.

I hope it's not in the cover. Despite being light and stiff; that might make for a clicky and harsh cover; but it might also make it more resilient.

Has anyone hit this ball on Trackman vs other premium balls yet? Or if you have and can’t talk about it I understand .. when is the expected release date?

The guys that claim so and so higher ball speed must have. I’m calling bs on anyone seeing a few mph higher ball speed on course

I didn't hear ball speeds, but actual distance. My source hit against a competitor with the same club on the same trackman and it was a really big difference for him. Can't wait to test for myself. Don't want to put too much out there to get him in trouble and it's almost unbelievable in terms of distance. peak vs peak.

I'm confused why people are so upset over $5? Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging your income, budget, etc. Hear me out.

A new dozen PV1/PV1x costs $47.99 @ Dicks right now online. If the CS/CSX go from $39.99 to $44.99, they are still cheaper. Not as cheap, but still cheaper. Not to mention if this new ball costs more to make in terms of this new material, better believe that price is getting passed to consumers.

My point is this - if you like a ball, and it truly performs for you, isn't paying another .42c per ball worth it? From a budget standpoint, that's one less coffee per month, or skipping one drive-thru meal. Your other option is to buy the 2017 versions at the discounted price. There will still be tons of them available for a while.

Because under $40 was a good price. Over $40 is not a good value to me. I'm not a pro, the balls in the low to mid $30 price range work good enough for my game and I'm a plus handicap. I've never hit a mid price ball and thought, I'm really held back by this $35 ball...

This always kills me. 42 CENTS per round. As a + handicap I assume you don't lose many. Or do you break out a fresh ball every 3 holes ? (Of course even then it'd only be an additional $2.50 per round). I can almost understand the high handicapper that loses 2 or 3 ball per round playing a rock hard cheapie but,,,,,,,,,,,

With all the guys who spend $75 on a golf shirt only to wear it 4 or 5 times before they won't wear it again because they have newer and brighter ones ($15-$18 PER round)

and the guys who spend $400 on a driver only to use it for 15 rounds or so and sell it for $250 if they're lucky ($10 PER round)

or the guys who spend $150-$200 for a pair of shoes they wear maybe 20 times and then throw them away ($7-$10 PER round),

or buying a set of irons for $1000 that a year or less later, say about 30 rounds, you can only get $400 for ($20 PER round),

not to mention green fees of upwards of $30 PER round............. oops.

It absolutely astonishes me that ANYBODY would balk at paying an additional 42 CENTS per round for the best golf ball for their game.

Makes ZERO sense to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mind-blown.jpg

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Some of the posts re ball costs. I don't understand it, but I do it. Think nothing of getting a new three wood (£220), feel severely broken when a £4.00 ball flies into the lake yet carefree when its a £2.00 ball....

If balls were free I bet we would all play Prov's you know.....

Nah man. If balls were free mate and no one had brand loyalty we would be playing the balls that test better. ProV is a great ball do not get me wrong but there are independent tests that show other balls beat in certain categories.

I also have not been a fan since 2012 of the ProV and every year it has failed to be my best ball.

I'm confused why people are so upset over $5? Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging your income, budget, etc. Hear me out.

A new dozen PV1/PV1x costs $47.99 @ Dicks right now online. If the CS/CSX go from $39.99 to $44.99, they are still cheaper. Not as cheap, but still cheaper. Not to mention if this new ball costs more to make in terms of this new material, better believe that price is getting passed to consumers.

My point is this - if you like a ball, and it truly performs for you, isn't paying another .42c per ball worth it? From a budget standpoint, that's one less coffee per month, or skipping one drive-thru meal. Your other option is to buy the 2017 versions at the discounted price. There will still be tons of them available for a while.

Because under $40 was a good price. Over $40 is not a good value to me. I'm not a pro, the balls in the low to mid $30 price range work good enough for my game and I'm a plus handicap. I've never hit a mid price ball and thought, I'm really held back by this $35 ball...

This always kills me. 42 CENTS per round. As a + handicap I assume you don't lose many. Or do you break out a fresh ball every 3 holes ? (Of course even then it'd only be an additional $2.50 per round). I can almost understand the high handicapper that loses 2 or 3 ball per round playing a rock hard cheapie but,,,,,,,,,,,

With all the guys who spend $75 on a golf shirt only to wear it 4 or 5 times before they won't wear it again because they have newer and brighter ones ($15-$18 PER round)

and the guys who spend $400 on a driver only to use it for 15 rounds or so and sell it for $250 if they're lucky ($10 PER round)

or the guys who spend $150-$200 for a pair of shoes they wear maybe 20 times and then throw them away ($7-$10 PER round),

or buying a set of irons for $1000 that a year or less later, say about 30 rounds, you can only get $400 for ($20 PER round),

It absolutely astonishes me that ANYBODY would balk at paying an additional 42 CENTS per round for the best golf ball for their game.

mind-blown.jpg

Great post! I agree 100%

For me there was no real difference between the CSX and the TP5 so cost became the deciding factor. If that is foolish so be it. I think for most the difference in premium balls is small so cost becomes the main factor. If there is no perceived value in the CSX, then why not play the proven ball?

That's absolutely a fair statement. I feel like almost all the premium balls are different in their own way, so that's why I said play the best ball.

Ala Graphene in the cover, it is not clicky. I was able to play 2 rounds with the new ball before the course closed for the season. Golf Balls don't really get me excited, but I'm beyond stoked to play this new ball.

That's absolutely a fair statement. I feel like almost all the premium balls are different in their own way, so that's why I said play the best ball.

Ala Graphene in the cover, it is not clicky. I was able to play 2 rounds with the new ball before the course closed for the season. Golf Balls don't really get me excited, but I'm beyond stoked to play this new ball.

The way people are talking about this ball, it may be worth the price increase. Cant wait to test it.

Ok, so a few people have been asking me how the graphene works in improving the ball.

Graphene is used in the core to make it larger and lighter, the mantle and cover as far as I am aware do not use it.

What this does is greatly increases the MOI of the ball and long story short it reduces spin rate on longer shots making the ball “straighter”.

What this also does is reduces the decay of ball speed too. As spin rates increase the decay of ball speed does too.

Lower decay rates of ball speed offer greater landing ball speeds for more roll out and the ball is harder to “knock off line” in the wind.

This technology allows for the use of a much softer cover, on shots where the spin loft is higher this is of great benefit as the friction coefficient of the cover is a major contributing factor to the overall spin rate.

So what we end up with is a ball that is straighter on long shots, doesn’t get affected by the wind as much, is longer due to better roll out and on chips, bunker shots, pitch shots/approaches spins more.

At least that is my theory having been explained how the tech is implemented into the ball and then using my basic physics knowledge to fill in some blanks.

The way the ball behaves on the course seems to fit my hypothesis too, it is by far the best ball I have played!

Ok, so a few people have been asking me how the graphene works in improving the ball.

Graphene is used in the core to make it larger and lighter, the mantle and cover as far as I am aware do not use it.

What this does is greatly increases the MOI of the ball and long story short it reduces spin rate on longer shots making the ball "straighter".

What this also does is reduces the decay of ball speed too. As spin rates increase the decay of ball speed does too.

Lower decay rates of ball speed offer greater landing ball speeds for more roll out and the ball is harder to "knock off line" in the wind.

This technology allows for the use of a much softer cover, on shots where the spin loft is higher this is of great benefit as the friction coefficient of the cover is a major contributing factor to the overall spin rate.

So what we end up with is a ball that is straighter on long shots, doesn't get affected by the wind as much, is longer due to better roll out and on chips, bunker shots, pitch shots/approaches spins more.

At least that is my theory having been explained how the tech is implemented into the ball and then using my basic physics knowledge to fill in some blanks.

The way the ball behaves on the course seems to fit my hypothesis too, it is by far the best ball I have played!

As I suspected, Rock Ishii brought the same concepts of the Nike RZN Tour balls to this version of CS/CSX.

Didn't know the tech story at the time, but I have played a sleeve of the '18 CSX and I think Callaway finally has FINALLY gotten it right since going the Chrome Soft direction. My biggest gripe with the previous versions of CS (and to a lesser extent CSX) was unpredictable spin performance and squirrely distance control. That is not the case with the '18 version of the CSX. Was testing in relatively cold and wet conditions so I can't speak to any noticeable distance gains in the long game, but what I did see was consistently outstanding performance in all aspects. Very strong and tight ball flight that fights the wind well, no clicky feel that previous Callaway tour balls were notorious for, exceptional short game spin, and biggest key being CONSISTENT and predictable trajectory and distance control on all kinds of approach shots. I was a huge fan of the RZN Tour Platinum before Nike folded up their tent, and the '18 CSX really does remind me of that.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I use Nike RZN Tour Platinum and have 7 boxes still to use but i will buy a box of the chrome soft 2018 to test and see if it outperforms my nike balls as going forward i need a new ball when my stock runs out.

As far as people talking about more distance from the 2018 ball, not everyone knows this but Nike reverse engineered the USGA ball testing machine so the 2016 ball could be at 99.9% of the distance limit so if Rock took this with him to Callaway this could be why the new ball is a few yards longer.

Taylormade M6 D'Type Driver (fujikura ventus blue 6 shaft)
Taylormade M6 D'Type 3 Wood (mrc tensei orange shaft)
Taylormade M6 D'Type 5 Wood (mrc tensei orange shaft)
Taylormade M6 D'Type 7 Wood (mrc tensei orange shaft)
Taylormade MCGB Irons 5-PW (kbs c-taper lite shafts)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges 48, 54 & 60 (kbs hi-rev 2.0 shaft
Odyssey EXO Marxman Putter (BGT Stability Shaft)
Taylormade TP5X (2019) Ball
Taylormade Golf Bag
Taylormade Hat, Nike Glove, Shoes and Clothes

What this does is greatly increases the MOI of the ball and long story short it reduces spin rate on longer shots making the ball “straighter”.

Lower decay rates of ball speed offer greater landing ball speeds for more roll out and the ball is harder to “knock off line” in the wind.

So what we end up with is a ball that is straighter on long shots, doesn’t get affected by the wind as much, is longer due to better roll out and on chips, bunker shots, pitch shots/approaches spins more.

Awesome thanks for the info

mind-blown.jpg

Great post! I agree 100%

Everyone is different. If you don't lose balls, it's a no brainer. I am getting to the point where I lose about 1 ball a round or less, but when I am playing with the family or in the summer when it is busy I will abandon a search much quicker for the sake of pace of play and to keep my kids moving along. Paying $4 a ball then is ridiculous as I know I will go through a sleeve or more just because of the scenario.

I have 5 dozen CS currently and the way this ball performs 100 yds. in I don't plan to change anytime soon but will give the new ones a try when these are gone. For the days when I feel like I can keep it in play, and not a course with crazy wasteland and yards with fences that I may not be able to jump in to retrieve, I will be playing the CS. If it is a tough course and/or playing with family, I would rather keep it fun and not stress out about losing a $4 ball.

In all honesty, I think I like the Truvis more than the actual ball anyway. If they released a urethane cover ball in Truvis for amateurs, basically just sell the old Chromesoft for $29.99 it would be a home run just like Srixon did.

mind-blown.jpg

Great post! I agree 100%

Everyone is different. If you don't lose balls, it's a no brainer. I am getting to the point where I lose about 1 ball a round or less, but when I am playing with the family or in the summer when it is busy I will abandon a search much quicker for the sake of pace of play and to keep my kids moving along. Paying $4 a ball then is ridiculous as I know I will go through a sleeve or more just because of the scenario.

I have 5 dozen CS currently and the way this ball performs 100 yds. in I don't plan to change anytime soon but will give the new ones a try when these are gone. For the days when I feel like I can keep it in play, and not a course with crazy wasteland and yards with fences that I may not be able to jump in to retrieve, I will be playing the CS. If it is a tough course and/or playing with family, I would rather keep it fun and not stress out about losing a $4 ball.

In all honesty, I think I like the Truvis more than the actual ball anyway. If they released a urethane cover ball in Truvis for amateurs, basically just sell the old Chromesoft for $29.99 it would be a home run just like Srixon did.

Each to their own, I guess for me for the amount that I spend on golf spending even $12-15 a round (Needing three balls for would be unusual but possible) isn’t a major concern for me.

I use a new ball every round, I keep them to use for practice afterwards so my shag bag stays healthy.

How’s the launch and trajectory with this ball? Looking for a high flying Urethane but they always fly lower than the low compression 2 pc balls that I normally play cause I need height on my shots. Short knocker that needs launch.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

mind-blown.jpg

You’re applying logic to the conversation and clearly that’s not for WRX browsers.