RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dewey..... awesome write-up......as with all so far....did you notice subtle difference in shape or size?

Do you mean relative to previous M1/M2, or the difference between the M3, M4, and 440?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Dewey is the guy you avoid a match with unless you're feeling pretty good about your game. Roll him out of bed at 4am with a hangover and he'll still take your money. lol

Hahahaaa...it's a good thing I didn't have to play Thursday or I would have lost a dozen balls as well as every single bet! (Would have absolutely killed me to have to ship Jory that bottle of Caymus!!!)

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Did any of the TM folks mention when the Hi-toe wedge will be available at retail?

Thanks

I asked Jory but don't remember the date. Sorry, maybe someone who took fewer heads shots will know.

The 60 and 64 HT were very interesting.

We were testing them from wet, tight lies. Wet bunker, fluffy bunker and different levels of rough. Blew right thru the turf.

The raw looks awesome, if ANYONE would be interested in something like that.

We were opening the 64 WAY up and taking full swings from the fringe and rough. Really fun results.

I also noticed it came out much lower than expected with a boatload of spin when played square.

Dewey..... awesome write-up......as with all so far....did you notice subtle difference in shape or size?

Do you mean relative to previous M1/M2, or the difference between the M3, M4, and 440?

Yes , current M3 vs M4.....440cc won't be available in lefty.....ugh

The differences are noticeable in terms of overall footprint, M4 face a tad larger, but very subtle in all. These are very nice shapes, best I've seen from Taylormade!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Did any of the TM folks mention when the Hi-toe wedge will be available at retail?

Thanks

I asked Jory but don't remember the date. Sorry, maybe someone who took fewer heads shots will know.

The 60 and 64 HT were very interesting.

We were testing them from wet, tight lies. Wet bunker, fluffy bunker and different levels of rough. Blew right thru the turf.

The raw looks awesome, if ANYONE would be interested in something like that.

We were opening the 64 WAY up and taking full swings from the fringe and rough. Really fun results.

I also noticed it came out much lower than expected with a boatload of spin when played square.

:fishing1:

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Yes , current M3 vs M4.....440cc won't be available in lefty.....ugh

The differences are noticeable in terms of overall footprint, M4 face a tad larger, but very subtle in all. These are very nice shapes, best I've seen from Taylormade!

Famous line from Bart Scott as a Jet:

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! No choice in the matter but still....

My FITTING!!!

We arrived at the Taylor Made facility just after 8 AM with Taylor Mades own Jory and Ryan. Due to a slight delay due to an MIA wrx member (I won’t tell), we first gathered around outside for some light conversation with lots of photos, ooohs and aw’s outside of Taylor Made’s corporate head quarters. Looming large just across the way was a magical place known as The Kingdom. We knew it would come a little later in the morning but all knew it was calling.

At last, our missing member had arrived and we began the check in process. We each had to sign a few forms, turn over our ID’s for verification and received our temporary badges. Once complete we were able to official leave the lobby and begin our adventure.

First stop was a meet and greet breakfast. Taylor Made has a very nice area in which hot, made to order meals are served. I chose a bacon, green pepper and cheese omelette with some spicy salsa and a water. It was restaurant quality.

After breakfast we began to tour parts of the facility on our way to a conference room. This is when we met Brian Brezzel. Brian is the Vice President of Product Development at Taylor a Made golf.

It is here that we get the show and tell. We start with twist face. Then product gets passed around one piece at a time with detailed discussion. Some pieces are cut open to show the technology as the R&D is discussed and stats are presented. Then come the videos that were taken during the debut of the equipment to some select Taylor Made staffers (Rory, Day, DJ, Rose, Rahm).

Once the initial kickoff had concluded, it was finally time. We exit headquarters, jump in some super duper six man golf carts and off to The Kingdom we go. Little did we know that they had packed up our golf clubs, created some temporary placards and stored our gear in the lockers located at The Kingdom just like they would have with some big name staffers.

Now it’s time to meet our fitter. My fitter is Patrick Braxton. He tells me that he grew up in Colorado and went to Xavier University in Cincinnati, Oh on golf scholarship. Interesting enough as we share the same first name (Although I go by my middle name) and I live in NKy about 10 miles outside Cincinnati. For those that know the area, CVG airport is actually in NKy and there is very little difference between Cincinnati, NKy and the SE tip of Indiana.

Next we discuss my current game. I ended the season at 13.8 after starting the season at 12.1. I somehow developed a right to left ball flight that was sometime uncontrollable especially early in the season. I had finished the year playing pretty well but my last round was on Black Friday and regular rounds had ended several weeks prior to that event.

Now we discuss my current driver. After time with a 10.5* Epic, I had settled in on a Callaway Fusion in 10.5* w/Recoil 450ES F4 in 44.5” with 12 gram head wait played with head setting in standard neutral positions. After some discussion he puts together my first setup. At this time I begin to warm up and he heads over to start putting together some combo’s to try. At the start, he tells me he is simply trying match my specs as closely as he can with a shaft in similar specs. Sadly, I do not recall the shaft.

So then I begin to hit my Fusion. It’s a little loose as I am leaving a few right, a few pulls and some good ones sprinkled in. It’s not terrible but not as good as I would have liked. My swing speed was down from last season but I’m getting around 94-95. With my Fusion the launch and spin were both a little high. Although I don’t have the actual numbers, launch was 2 or so degrees higher than ideal with spin 500-700 rpms higher than desired. Patrick says that my Fusion is pretty good but he sees room for him to improve it.

Patrick now hands me a brand new Taylor Made M4 10.5* set in standard specs. Sadly, it doesn’t go well. The M4 has a standard length shaft and it’s jamming me up causing some heel hits. I’m simply too close to the ball. After some adjustments on my part, this 10.5* head and shaft combo still isn’t getting it done.

At this point I pretty much turn it over to Patrick. After, he is a fitter at The Kingdom. The same place they fit tour pros. After lots of swings and a period of time trying different combs of lofts, settings and shafts, we begin to settle in. Taylor Made M4 in 9.5* of loft turned up to the high setting. Shaft tuning is coming down to the Atmos 5 S-Stiff by Fujikura.

Now, time to try the M3. Given the work already done, we start with the Atmos Red 5 S-Stiff, 9.5* in standard. We start with weights forward for data and then Patrick begins to play. He adjusts, I hit. Repeat. He adjusts, I hit repeat. After some time we try a weight as far back in the heel as possible (draw) with the other as far back as possible while remaining in the center track.

Next, both weights are now moved as far back as possible while remaining in the center track. So now came my wow. Feel, flight, etc... all look great to me now. I now feel that I’ve hit pay dirt.

From here we start rotating a bit between M3 and M4. In my mind I feel M3 is the better of the two and now I’m wishing it to be so. I simply like the look of the tracks, the adjustability, etc... M3 has a cool factor that M4 simply does not have. In my eye, I’m hitting M3 as good as M4 on my bad shots and better than M4 on my good shots.

After awhile, Patrick pulls me over to trackman and we discuss his findings. Now, I have my true aha moment........ drum roll please, what the h3ll! No way, shock now sets in.

How in the world is M4 is the winner over M3. That’s not what “ I think” I’m seeing. Well, the numbers don’t lie and obviously I’m not walking out on the range with marked balls actually measuring my distances. To get M3 to work for me, the weight placement (center track weights as far back as possible) causes the launch and spin to be higher than ideal. It’s a little better than my Fusion but not by much.

That’s right. M3 numbers, ball flight etc... are all similar to my Fusion. As a result, so y brain also thinks I’m hitting it best. In reality, M4 dispersion was better, ball speed was higher and launch was better despite a lower swing speed than what I was getting with Fusion. Oddly, I was swinging a shorter driver faster than the longer driver.

I honestly have zero concerns over my lower swing speed with M4. I believe that was the longer shaft causing me to be slightly too close to the ball as pointed out by Patrick and a lack of confidence as compared to my 44.5* Fusion. Given the extra 3 mph ball speed and closer to ideal spin with M4, I believe I will gain the swing speed back along with an increase in average driving distance once the confidence is there with M4.

During my fitting, I don’t know that I really noticed the benefits of Twist Face all that much. On course, I definitely did. Those high toe shots stayed mostly straight vs the amount of draw and sometimes hook I get with a Fusion. It was only one round on the course but I am hopeful that this driver will prove out long term what I believe I saw on course. That being, this driver has technology that will help me keep it in play my minimizing the amount of curve on my high toe miss. This driver isn’t going to fix a terrible swing but neither will any other driver I’d ever played but it will minimize some mid hits.

In conclusion, I walked away with a Taylor Made M4 in 9.5* of loft turned up to the high setting with the Atmos Red 5 S-Stiff by Fujikura in 44.5*.

Cwing (Craig)

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Good write up Cwing!

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

Nice write ups so far, guys! The pictures from the course with the overhead view inset is one of the coolest things I’ve seen. That’s awesome.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Literally just sat down and read this entire thread, all 794 posts. All I know is after I dig myself out of the snowbanks in April (fingers crossed), I will have to get my hands on these to try first hand. High/High toe is where I live.

Paradym 💎💎💎 9* - Diamana zf 50x

Rogue ST LS 15* - Ventus Black 7x

Rogue ST LS 18* - Ventus Black 8x

TM P770/MC  4-9 -  Modus 120x

Titleist SM9 46/50/54/59 -  T.I. s400

Bettinardi Queen Bee #10 Blackout

Pro v1

Cwing - which Atmos? Stock TM, red, blue, or black? Maybe I missed it. Great write up.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

Cwing - which Atmos? Stock TM, red, blue, or black? Maybe I missed it. Great write up.

Sorry, red.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Is anyone is curious, I asked why the M3 / M4 nomenclature as opposed to M1-18 and M2-18. The TM guys stated that both Twist Face and Hammerhead made this product line warrant a new name. According to Taylor Made, the features incorporated into these heads is not just a refresh with minimum tweaks. They are new technology that desire their own line.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

TMAG Trip Crew

Did I see a M4 8.5* ?????? Commercially available???

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences

Yes, M4 8.5 will be commercially available.

Yup! In fact I was fitted into an 8.5 M4 and have it sitting right here!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

what a day!!! Sorry that I didn't keep up with the LIVE updates like others, more details and hi-res pictures are coming I promise.

I do want to mention/brag :pimp: :sorry: about the skills challenge thou.

Scott - longest drive (310+ yards) - won a Hi-Toe wedge

Kenton - longest DJ 4 iron shot (260+ yards) - won Hi-Toe wedge

Me - straightest drive (2.6 yards off center line) - won TaylorMade putter

Me - closest to the pin from 70 yards (the only guy that hit the green unfortunately) - won TaylorMade M3/M4 fairway wood.

What putter did you win?

any putter of my choice, haven't decided yet. :)

Go to Jory’s office and pick something out! He has got all the cool stuff! ?

I’ll have you know I was the only guy to lead in all four of the skills challenges. Yes, that’s right. I was the leader in the clubhouse for all of them!!!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

TMAG Trip Crew

Did I see a M4 8.5* ?????? Commercially available???

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences

Yes, M4 8.5 will be commercially available.

Yup! In fact I was fitted into an 8.5 M4 and have it sitting right here!

Looks nice i'm glad they decided to just release the 8.5* M4 instead of tour only BS.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Anyone hit the M3 hybrids?

Negative for me. I did not hit M3 fairway or hybrid but did hit M4 in both. I will have very likely put the M4 hybrids in my bag. I was hitting the 19* very very well. If I can hit the 19*, the 21* shouldn’t be an issue as well so they will both likely be in the bag in the near future.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Did Brian Bazzel or any of the engineers go more into the twist face tech?

I've heard different people give their thoughts, but from what I gather, simply put, twist face is done by changing the axis of the bulge clockwise (looking at the face) a number of degrees to better account for the strike pattern on the face and to reduce the side spin from off Center strikes? Is this off base??

I'm not looking for trade secrets, but I haven't seen a very good explanation that people can understand.

I would also like to hear them talk a little bit more about the technical aspects of TwistFace and how it differs from Cobra's tech, for example. I was under the impression that TwistFace is more than just tilting the axis of the bulge & roll, which is what Cobra has been doing. I know they're addressing a similar problem, but I thought they were doing it in different ways. But it would be nice to hear TM differentiate them to answer this common question.

I bet a penny to a punch of salt that TM will ignore any reference to Cobra tech as TM is a new Revolution in face tech (in their mind any ways) even though we all know the truth.

Actually, the TM guys ignored nothing. They admitted nearly all oem’s make great product at this time. The TM guys actually brought up other oem’s trying similar face tweaking in the past and they noted how their twist was different than what others had done but I do not recall the specifics.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Any talk of the twist face coming to fws? I know the face really isn't large enough to take advantage of it the same way a driver can but the toe hook in a fw is an issue for me so anything that can help, I'd be open to.

Any talk of the twist face coming to fws? I know the face really isn't large enough to take advantage of it the same way a driver can but the toe hook in a fw is an issue for me so anything that can help, I'd be open to.

What I recall them saying is that it’s in testing but they are not certain how effective it will be on a small face. Only time will tell if it hits the market.

It’s hidden behind this door:

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

What I recall them saying is that it’s in testing but they are not certain how effective it will be on a small face. Only time will tell if it hits the market.

Part of the reply is that yes, they are experimenting with Twist Face technology in fairways, but they wont be bringing anything to market until it's been thoroughly tested and verified to provide measurable performance benefits/advantages.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Craig isn't joking by the way. Behind that door is the real "Vault". That is where their team works on product for 2020+. I saw inside twice while people were going in... Unfortunately, I didn't see anything. :(

Edit: I was told it's actually a vault door too. Not just a facade.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Craig isn't joking by the way. Behind that door is the real "Vault". That is where their team works on product for 2020+. I saw inside twice while people were going in... Unfortunately, I didn't see anything. :(

Edit: I was told it's actually a vault door too. Not just a facade.

Lol! I believe it. I've worked for an engineering agency and the stuff they were dreaming up wasn't going to be available for another few years, and it was VERY closely guarded. Anything to get a leg up on the competition.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Anyone hit the M3 hybrids?

I was able to take a few swings with an m3. I don't remember if it was a #3 or #4. When it was passed around during the product talk with Brian Bazzel I knew I had to take at least a few swings. I think it was one of the last clubs I hit so I was exhausted at that point. It made a satisfying sound at impact. For the horrible swing I put on it there was decent forgiveness. To be honest it sort of reminded me of an Adams a12 proto gold (which I still bag for certain courses).

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Great reviews guys! :drinks:

Definitely want to get fit for both of these and see how they stack up against my fairway finder 917. I love how most of the info is based around all the tech making the driver more playable and forgiving. I think the last two drivers (along with the Epic) have really been chasing distance and got away from keeping the ball in the fairway. It used to be in tournament golf I wanted more forgiveness and less distance, but now with dad golf it's the same.. except I'll sacrifice even more distance for fairways :)

Thanks again for the write ups, and congrats again on being selected.. you guys did WRX proud!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I hope there is a 107-111 swinger who hits a draw and whose primary miss is a toe hook .. and plays the 2016 M2 head. Is that too much to ask??????

Those are results I NEED TO SEE

It's your lucky day!!! Well, minus the M2 thing ?! Check out my review on page #26 or follow the link to it from page #1.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball