2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

RECAP: Titleist ProV1 Experience Thread, July 12-13. Behind the scenes at Titleist Headquarters!

Ok as promised attached is my more detailed review.

Day 1 - New Bedford, MA

I got early into the area after meeting with clients in Boston and was the first to arrive (not including hipcheck) to the hotel. My college roommate was from the area and recommend that we check out Whalers Tavern. After meeting up with Hipcheck and golf9596 we sampled the local foods (little necks and chowder) and had some drinks. joey2aces was the next to arrive and we had a blast geeking out and talking clubs and where we lived. I had to turn in early due to some work but on my way back I saw the Titleist ball fitting truck in the parking lot! I knew in the morning it would be game on!

Takeaways:

• Little necks are awesome
  • Can't beat the chowder
  • McDonalds serves lobster rolls in Massachusetts
  • Local beer rules!

Day 2 (AM) - Titleist HQ and Meeting R&D Team:

We got up early and headed out to meet Eric and Veronica from the communications team at Titleist. We then were given a deep dive on the history of Titleist and how one missed putt started this massive golf ball company. I am not going to go into huge depths but check out the history of Achusnet/Titleist and you will be amazed. From there we split apart and met the R&D team and this is where my knowledge of the golf ball was altered forever. The amount of very very smart people (smarter than me) employed is mind boggling and matter of fact some of them are PGA pros that play to scratch or better! For the next 1 to 2 hours (it went by too fast) we were introduced to a number of different people who all had their hand in creating Titleist golf balls. From the rubber they choose, to the depth of the dimples, to what their competitors are doing; all of their efforts were to put out the best golf ball possible. We also got to learn the meaning behind why they named it the Pro V1.

Takeaways:

• Every little detail of their golf balls is thought out and nothing is glossed over or pushed aside
  • Only 3 golf ball manufacturers make 100% of their ball - Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist. The rest farm pieces of the ball to other suppliers and in my mind if you're not in charge 100% of the time QA could be sacrificed.
  • The amount of golf balls that are the same but marketed under different name is insane (I am glad I never have played those balls in the past!)
  • I thought I spent a lot of money on golf balls it’s not even close comparted to their R&D team! They spent upwards of 66K last year alone.
  • If their R&D team think they can do it better they will build their own! (Robots, types of testing etc...)

Day 2 (PM) Manchester Lane Test Facility

If you live in the northeast you have probably heard about this facility. I know when the 917 driver launched I tried to get a fitting there and was told the wait list was 4 months! And believe me it’s as good as the rumors or stories you have heard. If you have a chance to go there don’t let the opportunity

pass you by!

As an add-on to the R&D tour we were shown how they tested not only theirs but also their competitors’ golf balls. As I said in my replies to this topic they want every variable tested (wind, temp etc.) so they can collect as much data as possible. We then went over to a short game area and saw a robot hitting wedge shots. Again they want to test in all conditions and all strikes to ensure they are making the best ball for your game. On our way back we saw the first surprise: our very own den caddy with our names on them. It was a nice touch and I was excited to finally be swinging some clubs.

We then broke out into 2 groups with one group staying at the main facility to do iron and driver testing while the rest of us went to short game area to work on wedges. I was sent over to work on wedges and this is where I got my first real insight on which ball was right for my game. After chipping, pitching and an occasional shank I went over to hit I think 90 yard wedges with trackman. After hitting a number of good ones I noticed that the Pro V1x was launching much higher and was getting moved around in the breeze, while the Pro V1 had a more penetrating flight and was more consistent for my game.

After some lunch and some light sweating it was my group’s turn to hit irons and driver. Again like I learned in the wedge fitting the Pro V1 outperformed the Pro V1x. Looking at the data (spin, launch, apex) the Pro V1 was better fit for my game. There is where I crowned the new green by shanking a number of chips onto the longest flat putting green in the world!

We then were taken to a demonstration of how dimples effect the golf ball. I knew a little about wind patterns based on working with GM but this took the cake. They showed us how just by changing the depth a little bit can make the golf ball do the strangest things. This was very eye opening and finally understood why we want to ensure the golf ball is 100% clean when we play it.

After our demo we were then paired into groups for a little 3-hole partner best ball. I was paired with joey2aces and we got to play with ball that best fit our games. We both started with great drives but we couldn’t get a par of the first hole. Our next hole was a 210 yard par 3 where we then both missed the green but this time I was able to save par after almost chipping in. The last hole was a 70 yard putt (par 2) from one side of the massive green to the other. joey2aces was the only person to get the ball past the hole but sadly both of us couldn’t get down in 2 and we finished 4th (after a playoff) with a score of 11. What could have been!

Takeaways:

• The smallest imperfection on the making of a golf ball can make it fly out of control. There are golf balls on the market right now that will not flight straight even with a robot just due to the manufacturing inconsistencies.
  • When doing golf ball testing (their own or competitors) they are not marked. This is to ensure the best ball wins vs. the objective of the testing and nothing is manipulated to make sure Titleist wins.
  • When fitting yourself with a golf ball use the following order: Putter, Wedge, 7 iron and then driver. I see more guys (including myself) who would fit themselves the other way and it’s a mistake.

Day 2 (PM – Cont) Ball Plant Tour & Dinner

After sadly saving goodbye to Manchester Lane (I shall return!) we hopped on the bus and headed to the ball plant. This was by far the most eye opening part of the trip as we saw all the steps that go into creating a golf ball. The sheer number of people involved is mind blowing and everyone takes their job 200% serious. I have never seen a QA process that rivals what I saw in the ball plant. From the pictures Hipcheck showed there are tons of different steps and processes to ensure you’re playing the most consistent golf ball that you can.

Dinner was at THE BLACK WHALE SEAFOOD BAR and it was great to again sample the local food. In case you’re in New Bedford and order the seafood sampler don’t be upsold and get the clams. The sheer size of the dish resembles the old 96’er from the great outdoors!

Takeaways:

• The Pro V1 and Pro V1x are updated every 2 years (if the ball can be improved or not)
  • People who work for Titleist really love their job as there were some people who worked there for 50 years!
  • You can’t beat the chowder in New Bedford Massachusetts!

Day 3 – Custom Ball Plant & Golf

The final day had come but first it was off to the see how golf balls are customized. They have a 9-hole golf plan tour that takes you through the entire process from start to finish. We saw how they add colors to the balls and how they ensure your logo gets placed in the same spot on every ball. Again they had a lengthy QA process to ensure all balls are 1000% consistent with what was ordered.

The previous day I was selected to create my prov1 golf ball and I put the initials of my kids on the ball #VRGR. During the tour we actually saw my golf balls being created and now I am happy that I didn’t choose something childish!

One thing to note the care, expertise and experience that goes into customize the golf balls rivals no other. If you need a golf ball customized for an event and want it done correctly you need to go with Titleist.

After checking out of the hotel we took the short drive down I-95 to play Warwick Country Club in Rhode Island. After warming up on the range it was time to hit the links. The course had spectacular views and was quite windy so it was a good test for my new ball. Sadly after only playing 6 holes in 1 over the horn blew and a big thunderstorm was blowing into the area. On a positive note this was the first time I had 100% confidence in my golf ball. I now know no matter which ball I choose from the box it will fly and spin the same every time.

While there was a dark cloud over the golf I did win the raffle for a new Titleist golf duffle bag. This was a great ending to a remarkable and unforgettable two days. I want to thank Golfwrx for the opportunity and want to thank everyone especially Eric and Veronica at Titleist for their hospitality during the event.

I started this event thinking Titleist was one of the top golf ball manufactures, but now I know the first-hand dedication, experience, and expertise that make the Pro V1 the most consistent golf ball in golf. Hands down there is nobody that does it better or has more passion that Titleist.

Takeaways:

• Anything you want printed on a golf ball (logo, picture or color) can be done through the my prov1 program
  • Chowder, chowder and more chowder
  • I-95 might be the worst road in the USA

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist pointed out that there was very little change form the 2015-16 prov1x to the 2017 model. The professionals that had been playing the 2015-16 X model, liked it the way is was, so there was less change for 2017 compared to the Prov1.

I was fit into the 2017 x model which gave better results from all three types of shots; wedge, mid iron and driver. It seems that I might have been in the minority as more people seem to be fit to the Prov1. My driver swing speed tops out at between 97-100 mph. Most of the other members appeared to have faster swing speeds.

Being a bit excited before day one, I woke up at 3AM and never did get back to sleep. The fitter pointed out all the numbers during the fitting, but my brain and memory were a bit fuzzy, and a little coffee could have helped.

On Saturday evening I played (practiced) on my home course for a few holes, just to tryout a new putter for the first time. I happened to find a Slazenger ball that had been cut open by a mower. The core was as black as an automotive tire.

This past Sunday was my first full 18 hole round, playing just one ball (proV1x), while also playing a different putter for a full 18 holes. I had Zero three putts which is real rarity for me, and 9 greens in Reg. This better than average round is encouraging going forward off my current 12.2 index.

Someone had posted that wrx members should try to play Warwick C.C.. Warwick is totally private, so it would seem very unlikely that non members would be able to get on, without knowing a member. The greens were the fastest that I have played in a long time. We were told that they try to keep them at about 13 on the stimp.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

Did anyone ask about the compression of the golf ball or was it brought up by Titleist? TaylorMade was telling us that some ball manufacturers have to low of compression and its like hitting a marshmallow and it won't go anywhere. They also mentioned that the higher compression balls can be played by any SS not just higher SS. I'd love to hear Titleist view!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

They basically said that compression isn't a great measuring tool as each company measures it differently. That said the v was in the low/mid 90s and x low 100s

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

The exact compression didn't seem to be a big concern. The manufacture of solid core balls makes it much easier to make a higher compression ball. It is also much faster process, than the old would balata balls of the past.

Consistency in compression from one ball to the next was a bigger concern. Their testing indicated that a sleeve of balls from another manufacturer, had balls ranging from 30 to 100 compression.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

The exact compression didn't seem to be a big concern. The manufacture of solid core balls makes it much easier to make a higher compression ball. It is also much faster process, than the old would balata balls of the past.

Consistency in compression from one ball to the next was a bigger concern. Their testing indicated that a sleeve of balls from another manufacturer, had balls ranging from 30 to 100 compression.

That's insane!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Okay my turn.

Sorry haven't had a chance to really give full feedback on the trip. Work and such. I did get a chance to play on at Medowbrook in Richmond, RI at 7000 yards and at my club Shennecossett to put the ball in play. More on that in a min.

I feel that swgolf12 review pretty much summed it up and I would think the rest of the guys would agree.

Biggest impressions:

Through all the tours of the Titleist facilities one thing that stood out to me was that every Titleist employee seemed to love what they do. I imagine sometimes it can be a "job" but it certainly didn't show and was treated with respect and felt like I was friends with every one of them. The way each one of them carried themselves and represent Titleist is something to see. Great people especially Eric.

My swing profile:

I swing on average about 114 with my driver and about 94 with my irons on full shots.

Played the Pro v1 exclusively up to the ball fitting. Never liked the Prov1x.

Ball:

Driver-

Between the V or X from my driver. There wasn't a clear choice between the two balls. For me they flew about the same. Not a big difference but it seemed the V spun ever so slightly less.

Irons-

The V didn't have that steep landing angle that I could get with the 2016 V. The previous gen seems to fly a touch higher. The 2017 V for me was more of a piercing flight. I ended up struggling to shape shots for "ME". Slight control issues with my fade. Overall the ball felt good but seemed softer that the previous.

The X from my irons was the best. Actually the best ball I currently have hit. I was able to get a touch higher trajectory and the ball came down steep which I like because of the firm conditions I typically play. It was about consistency for me and the 2017 V didn't have the control I could get with the X. Spin was up more and for me spin helps me control the ball.

Wedges.

V was slightly softer feeling. On one of those shots where you flight it in nice and low the ball would hit the green jump forward 3-4 feet and stop. Typically I play this shot most of the time with my wedges.

The X was very spinny. On the same type of shot where the V stopped the X would spin back a couple of feet. Overall this is why I chose the X because I felt I need the spin on the firm conditions I play. I need the ball to have that stopping power and I can be very aggressive with this ball. Also I loved the feeling from the X. Its firmer than the V and I prefer that. I could predict the shot more with the X.

Putter-

No real big difference. The V is slightly softer. I could have played both.

On Course-

So when I came back from the trip I had a chance to play. As I predicted the X preformed better for me in all aspects tee to green. Before where my irons seemed to land jump forward and stop with the V but the X consistently spun back a couple feet. Not Mickelson spin but enough to grab the green in firm conditions. Another thing I noticed was an in between shot I had in the 140y range. I had a 140 shot which is typically a nice 9 iron or a hard PW. Instead of finessing the 9 iron I could hit the PW harder, hit pin high and jump forward then spin back toward the hole. I think this is huge because before with my 2016 V the same type of hard PW would jump and stay where it landed. I think this opens a whole new aspect of my scoring game that I didn't have in my bag. I'm not saying it will do the same for everyone but that's why we get fitted. Some guys like the V some guys like the X. This generation of the X seems to work well with what I have. Previously I didn't much care for the X.

Im going to confirm my thoughts. The Titleist golf ball is going to be the only golf ball I ever continue to play. From the performance to the amount of quality that goes into every single aspect. From the amount of research and engineering that goes into these balls. To the amount of consistency I get from every shot. To the amount of enjoyment I get seeing these balls rip back. To the pros who play for millions of dollars every week using Titleist balls. I know with out a doubt these are the best golf balls. You owe it to yourself to have that piece of mind out there on the course knowing that you getting the best ball money can buy. Its legit.

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

did anyone top one because they were nervous?

I did shank a couple in the short game area

i would too....id be so nervous id probably whiff

I think everyone had a few skulls or chunks. Something about going on that trackman screws with you, especially in front of the titleist staff.

Evnroll ER2

did anyone top one because they were nervous?

I did shank a couple in the short game area

i would too....id be so nervous id probably whiff

I think everyone had a few skulls or chunks. Something about going on that trackman screws with you, especially in front of the titleist staff.

i can imagine.....i went for a fitting at a titleist center a few years ago and I was so nervous, i couldn't swing and skulled a few shots right away. The pro walked away and went inside to watch me....when he left I started hitting it better.....it was embarrassing for me.....

• 3 weeks later...

with all of the talk of how much dimples affect the ball it makes me feel better that I will take a ball out of play, maybe more than most would.

When I read this, it made me think, i never asked what a light scuff does to a ball. I reached out to the guys from Titleist and was given the following answer...

Generally speaking, small dings, scratches, abrasions, etc., are not going to affect performance in a meaningful way. If the integrity of the cover has been significantly compromised (i.e., it impacted a cart path or a tree and there is sizeable damage), you may have an issue. But you don't have to worry about small scuffs and paint scrapes. With the improvements we've made to durability, we regularly have tour players tell us they use only one ball for the entire round. Jimmy Walker won in Hawaii last year playing only 4 total balls for the tournament! It comes down to the overall volume of the abrasion.

That part about Jimmy Walker blows my mind. I remember days when pros would change balls after ever hole.

Evnroll ER2

• 5 months later...

Did anyone else get a sleeve of balls and a very nice winter hat from titleist? My shipping label had Eric’s name on it so figured it was related to this trip.

Evnroll ER2

with all of the talk of how much dimples affect the ball it makes me feel better that I will take a ball out of play, maybe more than most would.

When I read this, it made me think, i never asked what a light scuff does to a ball. I reached out to the guys from Titleist and was given the following answer...

Generally speaking, small dings, scratches, abrasions, etc., are not going to affect performance in a meaningful way. If the integrity of the cover has been significantly compromised (i.e., it impacted a cart path or a tree and there is sizeable damage), you may have an issue. But you don't have to worry about small scuffs and paint scrapes. With the improvements we've made to durability, we regularly have tour players tell us they use only one ball for the entire round. Jimmy Walker won in Hawaii last year playing only 4 total balls for the tournament! It comes down to the overall volume of the abrasion.

That part about Jimmy Walker blows my mind. I remember days when pros would change balls after ever hole.

That sure is a big change from when you would see pros changing out very often.

Thanks for taking the time to answer sorry for the late reply.

Did anyone else get a sleeve of balls and a very nice winter hat from titleist? My shipping label had Eric’s name on it so figured it was related to this trip.

I also received a little surprise this week. Nice touch Eric...

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

Yeah I did too.

The hat is awesome. I got a dark blue hat. To describe it its a winter hat but has the same emblems and stitching of their tour baseball hats, Titleist on front Pro V1 on the side, and the red Titleist rectangle symbol on the back. Its definitely a cool looking winter hat and the balls was a nice touch.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style