RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

Would love to be fitted like this!

Almost worth the plane trip from Australia!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone comment on forgiveness between the M3 fairway and M4 Tour?

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

Another note, this was my first proper outdoor fitting and I don't think I'll be able to trust an indoor fitting again. The ability to see the actual ball flight is invaluable.

Great report. Thanks, it was very interesting. Above is one little nugget that stood out to me. I agree that getting fit on an outdoor range and watching your ball and not a computer is definitely the way to get a thorough fitting.

I got a complete bag fitting on a range 10+ years ago by a Ping fitter, and while he didn't use Trackman or any electronics (lie board) watching the differences in the shots with different clubs was very helpful. Your write up makes me want to make an appointment at the TM Center in Las Vegas and get a similar 1 on 1 fitting.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

The Taylormade Twistface Experience

I want to express the highest level of gratitude to those at Taylormade and Golfwrx that made this possible especially:

• Jory – Global Communications for TM
  • Ryan – Consumer Engagement for TM
  • Rob – Golfwrx Moderator and hell of a guy to drink with when you're delirously tired
  • Tom – My fitter for Thursday
  • Mark & Team – Principal Engineer for TM's R&D
  • Scott – Global Brand Manager for TM
  • Brian – product development
  • Ben & team – Staff Engineers for TM's Golf Balls
  • Calvin, Craig, Dewey, Kenton, Scott & Tim for being excellent people to share this experience with

Day One: Arriving at Aviara and Argyles

The hotel was incredible, every detail from the layout to the decorations were perfect. After checking in we hit the range to take our first swings in months. Here are some pictures from the arrival:

Range Picture:

After shaking off some rust, we went to dinner at Argyles hosted by Jory and Ryan. We spoke about some of the tour happenings and what they expect in the upcoming year. The number one thing I can tell you is that they are ALL IN on RAHM. They love the guy and think he is going to be a massive star. Also, during the dinner they let us know which of their main guys is the longest driver of the golf ball… (highlight below to find out)

Answer Highlight here: Rory McIlroy

Day Two: Taylormade HQ

The MOAD (Mother of All Drivers-look that up on google) could be behind this door... http://Not allowed because of spam.com...de-moad-driver/

St. Andrews Room

Here we met Brian, TM's head of product development. He walked us through the genesis of the club and its specs. Here is what we learned, much of which has already been posted on this thread:

• Taylormade believes this is the future of golf technology.
  • M4 has a 67% larger sweet spot than the 2017 M2
  • Twist face is created by increasing the loft and opening the face on the upper toe (neutralizes toe hooks) and doing the opposite in the heel (neutralizes the heel slice)
  • M4 D-Type is setup visually with a paint scheme to look neutral side by side you probably cannot tell the difference
  • TM has a "Vault" that houses all of the hyper-secret projects.

We watched the Tiger video above (in the picture) and the extended versions of these videos:

Octagon Video

[media=]

[/media]

Tee Box Video

[media=]

[/media]

This is the face they were looking at. It is an exaggerated version of the actual product.

Here are some product shots of the upcoming releases.

The Kingdom

We hitched a ride on the fastest golf carts I have ever been on and we were at the doors to the kingdom within minutes.

They have thought of every single detail in the Kingdom. Everything has the Kingdom's logo on it and every part of the building is high end. They even have water bottles and napkins that have "the Kingdom" logos on it.

Here is what the locker room looks like.

Next onto golf Xanadu… The range at the Kingdom.

We were all setup with our own trackman station and fitter. My fitter's name was Tom and he was the best fitter I have ever worked with. He could call the spin rate from visual observation and then have it confirmed within 100rpms on the trackman a few seconds later.

My Impression of the M3 I was fit into:

Performance:

I'll never forget the first shot I hit with it, which was well out on the toe. I looked up and to the left to track the flight, yet the ball did not go left, to my surprise it was moving slightly RIGHT?! It was a slight 1 to 2 yard fade. I looked back at my fitter Tom and he sort of nodded in approval with a grin on his face when I said "I thought that one was going left." We dialed this in and when all was said and done I was getting 4 mph better ball speed and about 15+ yards on each shot from better launch conditions. Even a few shots which I hit horribly on the heel were very manageable slight fades.

Aesthetics:

I loved the look of the crown. My biggest complaint about the previous generations is that I dislike having white on the crown. It causes my GC2 to sometimes miss a shot and I think darker colors look better. The silver meets the carbon in a very nice sleek way while somewhat camouflaging the aerodynamic lift that is built into the carbon.

Sound:

The club has a very nice "thwack" sound without any hints of an aluminum bat sound. Even on mishits near the heel it sounds very solid.

• Short Comparison to M4: I found that the M4 had a flatter trajectory and since we could not adjust the weights for shot shape correction, it seemed like the M3 was the winner for me.

Ball and Golf R&D 101

(PICTURES PROHIBITED)

Next up was the R&D section for clubs and balls. Here we met Mark, Ben and their teams who explained how their tour clubs and prototype balls are created. I am not sure how much detail I am allowed to give here but they can create the tour clubs to exceptional precision due to their use of computer based creation. Skynet is real, people.

Understandably we were prohibited to take any pictures in this section but their upcoming lineups will have some pretty game changing tech and some small tweaks that will be very useful.

Karl Strauss Brewery + In &Out Burger

At this point I was so run down I struggled to not pass out. Ryan, Jory and his crew were very generous with taking us out to two excellent, yet different venues to give us a sampling of what Carlsbad had to offer. Every meal I had in Carlsbad was excellent, even the cafeteria at TM made an outstanding omelette. By the time we went to in and out burger (after a few drinks) I was a zombie. I seriously don't think I have ever went out to get late night food while being that tired in my life.

Day Three: Aviara Golf

The course is beautiful. Great elevation changes and really interesting architecture, except #10 as Tim said earlier. I had the privilidge to play with Mark and Scott. Both guys were at scratch golfers or better. I think Scotts club head speed had to be 117+ which is probably why he was using the same shaft Sergio previously used. It was a Diamana Ahina 100g X flex. WTF?!? I didn't even realize they made shafts like that.

Mark was playing a prototype M driver and since I was in his cart, I got the 202 class on club creation. We spoke about the acoustics involved with club heads, possible futures of where golf club tech is going and other interesting topics about equipment. He even pointed me in the direction of Bob Rotella's books since he quickly realized I am one of the most neurotic people when I am playing at the bottom of my range. Both guys had interesting backstories (one has been training for his job since high school and the other managed a famous record label) and both were super patient with us as we shook off our rust from the previous 3 months.

Some Past Aviara Kia Classic Champions:

Conclusion: This was easily the best golf trip I have ever went on. Being at Taylormade was awesome but it was the people who went that amplified the experience.

TLDR: TM has a winner in this Twist Face Technology. The trip was awesome and I am super thankful the people involved who made this a possibility.

Let me know if you have any questions!

NOTE: I have been viciously sick since flying back so it may take few hours before i respond. I had a 7 hour delay in my flight which killed my sleep cycle. I did not get back to my house until early Sunday morning due to some prior obligations and a few American Airlines snafus, they broke my taylormade golf bag while it was encased in my club glove. I had to return back to PHL international to rectify that, plus they would not let me get my debit card that I knew was in my seat from deplaning. I spent the better part of Saturday and early Sunday rectifying that

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Chris (Gamble Gamble),

Great write-up! Sorry to hear of your travel difficulties! That sucks, especially when you're run-down and under the weather.

I'm impressed with your photography bro, you almost give Calvin a run for his money. I especially like the photos of Cristie and Anna's lockers, but what the he!l were you doing in the women's locker room??? ?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

from a pure forgiveness perspective M4 Tour/M4 fairway is the winner for me due to the profile of the head. M4 Tour/M4 fairway has a visibly larger footprint and shallower head compare to M3, off the fairway M4 Tour/M4 was much easier to hit. M3 has a smaller footprint and deeper head, probably be better to hit off the tee.

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

Did they give you guys any indicators if they will release TWs irons for retail once they are finished?

Sorry, Troy. We grilled the guys inside that are responsible but we couldn't pry any info out of them...yet. Even I tried.

We can confirm that the Miura stuff is pure BS but I know you know that already.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

from a pure forgiveness perspective M4 Tour/M4 fairway is the winner for me due to the profile of the head. M4 Tour/M4 fairway has a visibly larger footprint and shallower head compare to M3, off the fairway M4 Tour/M4 was much easier to hit. M3 has a smaller footprint and deeper head, probably be better to hit off the tee.

I tested the M3 and M4 Tour fairway, didn't hit the regular M4 as Jason knew it wouldn't be a good fit for me. I preferred the look of the M3 and I thought the face height was perfect if it is going to be used off the tee and from the fairway. While I was being fit, I didn't notice much of a difference in the footprint between the M4 tour and the M3 to be honest. Forgiveness between the two was comparable. The biggest factor in my fitting was going a little shorter in shaft length. I know that has been a bit of a trend in drivers lately, but I highly recommend trying it in fairway woods as well.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Did they give you guys any indicators if they will release TWs irons for retail once they are finished?

Mum was the word on TW's sticks. They were keeping that info very close to the vest and we were definitely prying for info.

We did get to see a back-up set they were building for DJ. Amazing how large, (and shockingly heavy) the block of steel is that it takes to make just a single iron head.

We learned that Justin Rose is very detailed and specific about his equipment and gets intricately involved in the builds & specs. When Sergio was on-board with TM, he was the opposite, pretty laid back about it.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Chris, very well done! Sorry to hear of so many issues on the back side of the trip.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Mum was the word on TW's sticks. They were keeping that info very close to the vest and we were definitely prying for info.

We did get to see a back-up set they were building for DJ. Amazing how large, (and shockingly heavy) the block of steel is that it takes to make just a single iron head.

We learned that Justin Rose is very detailed and specific about his equipment and gets intricately involved in the builds & specs. When Sergio was on-board with TM, he was the opposite, pretty laid back about it.

Great info, thanks man! Did they say anything about the Sergio split and the fact he signed with Cally?

Great info, thanks man! Did they say anything about the Sergio split and the fact he signed with Cally?

The only thing I remember them saying is that they don't think he'll have any problem with the woods and irons because he is such a good ball striker and can make any necessary adjustments, but the ball is going to be an issue.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

The only thing I remember them saying is that they don't think he'll have any problem with the woods and irons because he is such a good ball striker and can make any necessary adjustments, but the ball is going to be an issue.

I wonder about Sergio with Callway, too. I think they'll eventually find a ball that suits him, since I presume there are many iterations of the Chrome Soft and Rock Ishii is on board now. But I was curious about him going to the Apex MB. He had played cavities for almost a decade; I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Apex Pro or next Apex Pro iteration soon.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Sorry, Troy. We grilled the guys inside that are responsible but we couldn't pry any info out of them...yet. Even I tried.

We can confirm that the Miura stuff is pure BS but I know you know that already.

This was something I was curious about as well. Thanks for asking about this.

Great reviews and photographs! I know the schedules are jam-packed and the whole experience is a whirlwind; you have to make a conscious effort to stop to take pictures/notes and update the thread while not detracting from your experience too much. But you guys did a great job documenting the trip for us following along.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

A few additional musings:

Fitting:

If you go for a fitting it's safe to say that it's best to be feeling well physically and swinging your typical swing. I came up goose eggs on both fronts. This was disappointing, but entirely my fault. I also think that too many of us go into long-drive mode during a fitting and that's a mistake as well. You should try to swing the way you would on the course.

When I'm swinging really well I often like to hit what I call a "fade with a draw swing" if that makes sense to anyone? In other words I hit it from the inside, just like a draw, but I rotate very aggressively thru the shot, handle following around to the left so the toe doesn't pass the heel. As long as my body is working (critical because I'm shut at the top) and my swing is in sync, it will produce a shot that looks like it will draw, but ends up fading slightly, lands hot and rolls out. The worst thing that can happen is to double-cross it and have it go left when I'm already aimed slightly left. I think my new M4/Fuji Pro Spec combo plus Twist Face tech should help minimize that occurrence and give me the confidence to pick the right line and really trust it. Fearing left sucks! We'll see...

High Toe Wedges:

The new TaylorMade High Toe wedges are awesome. The shape is very pleasing and less obnoxious looking than some of the other high toe designs by other OEMs. I was extremely impressed with the sole grind as well. I play most of my short wedges around the green with the face open and the bounce exposed, so having the right grind is critical. If I feel it snag the turf or dig at all, I'm out. I hit a bunch of shots with the 60 and 64 and was very impressed, especially considering that the ones I tried were standard lie and I need 2 degrees flat (short with monkey arms ;) ).

M3/M4 Fairways:

Boy, these guys are making some nice looking fairway metals! I currently play the M2 Tour and love it, especially off the tee. The new models are super-clean looking and anyone should be able to find a model with the face depth and head shape that most suits his game. It looked to me like the changes in terms of aesthetics are relatively subtle, the M4 Tour being quite similar to my current M2 Tour but with the new cosmetics.

P790 Irons:

After my driver fitting Kurt (my fitter) had me try the 790s with C-Taper Lite X flex. My current irons are i200s with Nippon 105 X. I could easily throw the 790s right in the bag as they have a similar profile and footprint. They are really long and I hit the C-Tapers a little straighter than my Nippons (straight v. slight draw).

I spoke with Brian Bazzel (VP Product Creation) about the 790s. I asked if guys were doing combo sets, marrying the 790 long irons with the 750s and 770s. He said emphatically yes, and in fact he's playing the 770s in his short irons but the 790s in 7 iron on up. My daughter is a D1 collegiate golfer playing the 770s. I'm going to get her the 790s in 5,6, & 7 iron. The higher launch and added distance are too much of an advantage to pass up. I know she'll love 'em, just might have to tweak lofts for gapping.

Hybrids:

I did not hit the M3 and M4 hybrids because by the time I got around to checking them out I was simply out of gas and had already cooled down. I can tell you that aesthetically they are gorgeous. The M3 is compact but not intimidating looking. The shape is very appealing to me and it looks like it would be great out of the rough! I will definitely be testing the M3 hybrids at some point this season.

M4 Irons:

Thursday prior to our fittings we watched a video of the TM staff Tour pros hitting an M4 4 iron. It was pretty funny because they were smoking this thing and could not believe how long, high, and straight they were hitting it. Seemed like the harder they hit it, the straighter it went. DJ smoked one out there 296 yards...YES, I said 4 iron!!!

So, when we got over to the Kingdom they had the exact same club that was built to spec for DJ...M4 four iron, X100 shaft. They put us all to a challenge. Two swings and if anyone could hit it farther than DJ did, he'd get to keep the exact club...the same one DJ was testing in the video! I hit two perfect towering shots with this thing that literally landed within a yard or two of one another. I was absolutely shocked when Trackman indicated shots of 239 and 240 yards!!! Kenton and Scott hit that thing damned near 270...and high!!! #whoneedshybrids

Seriously, if you're a player who can't get along with hybrids or otherwise wants a distance iron, the new M4 irons are worth a try!

That's it for now! Keep the questions coming...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I am still confused as to whether a 62* High Toe LW is coming or not

I MUST GET ONE OF THOSE !!

Different answers in different replies, some say yes and some say just 60 and 64

GREAT WRITE UPS GUYS !!!

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9