2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Long iron replacement for baby blades

bluejeeprubi

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to Miura BBs but infatuated with the long irons, on a 2 iron hunt. Anyway, I've got a Fourteen Type 7 20* arriving Thursday and will snap a pic for ya. Not sure I get to hit it Thursday so maybe Sat before I could give any distance gapping thoughts.

Thanks man that would be great! A pic next to the BB 3 would be very helpful. And I too am on the 2 iron (and 1 iron) hunt but my research tells me it isn't going to be easy!

If you're not stuck on JDM, give Patrick Boyd at BB&FC a call. He can make you any type of club you want, with the magic of Don White!

Man I'm pretty sure you and everyone who agreed with you might have just cost me a lot of money ;) Amazing work they do. I reached out about building a long iron and will let you know how it goes. It was a really great suggestion that wasn't on my radar at all. I also inquired about their set pricing to add to the collection at some point but something tells me I'm not going to like their answer.

Great ideas! .... Would love to hear how this turns out!

Keep us posted!!!!!

Keep us posted!!!!!

It's funny that when I first read your post yesterday I felt a little bad I was going to be giving such an anticlimactic answer. I hadn't heard back from Boyd yet, I was expecting their price to really make me cringe anyway, I had realized I hit the ft worth hi great and needed to spend more focus on getting my score lower and preparing for a heavy 2018 competition schedule and less on the aesthetic continuity of one club in my set (blasphemy I know). So I decided to reshaft the two hybrids (with something closer to but lighter than my iron shafts) I get along with but keep the ft worth hi as the gamer and see if the hybrids can earn that spot full or part time.

That was until I heard back from Patrick Boyd. He is an absolute pleasure to deal with and had some great ideas for me. He is going to make me a low cog large cavity thin top line head in 20 degrees that matches the toe and offset of the baby blade 3i. With consultation, custom everything, DW's work it comes out to $250 for a raw head which I thought was very fair considering. Some of the sample pictures he sent of similar projects were incredible and I should have some good pictures to post in about 6 weeks :) Thanks to everyone who helped out but especially toophewbirdies for the Boyd recommendation.

It would be best for my wallet to never sign back on wrx again but it's definitely fun conversing with you guys and I can hopefully contribute some helpful stuff in the future.

Great, I pick up 20 and 24 hi and really like them. Now I’m going to focus on the offset. Just kidding really looking forward to seeing the pics.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Great, I pick up 20 and 24 hi and really like them. Now I’m going to focus on the offset. Just kidding really looking forward to seeing the pics.

Haha sorry man. To be fair if you didn't start this thread I probably would have just gamed the hi and been none the wiser ;). Seriously though I actually still feel like I'm taking a large gamble here as the hi is a performer for me. A few of the best shots I've hit all year were with that club and I love it's flight. I'm ordering this custom one knowing full well I may still game the hi in the end. I imagine that 24 launches high flat lasers if the 20 is any indication. I've been close to getting one for a while and still might if the custom doesn't work out. Another member here messaged me and said if it had a more popular brand name on it it would be all the rage around here and I agree with him.

Keep us posted!!!!!

Keep us posted!!!!!

It's funny that when I first read your post yesterday I felt a little bad I was going to be giving such an anticlimactic answer. I hadn't heard back from Boyd yet, I was expecting their price to really make me cringe anyway, I had realized I hit the ft worth hi great and needed to spend more focus on getting my score lower and preparing for a heavy 2018 competition schedule and less on the aesthetic continuity of one club in my set (blasphemy I know). So I decided to reshaft the two hybrids (with something closer to but lighter than my iron shafts) I get along with but keep the ft worth hi as the gamer and see if the hybrids can earn that spot full or part time.

That was until I heard back from Patrick Boyd. He is an absolute pleasure to deal with and had some great ideas for me. He is going to make me a low cog large cavity thin top line head in 20 degrees that matches the toe and offset of the baby blade 3i. With consultation, custom everything, DW's work it comes out to $250 for a raw head which I thought was very fair considering. Some of the sample pictures he sent of similar projects were incredible and I should have some good pictures to post in about 6 weeks :) Thanks to everyone who helped out but especially toophewbirdies for the Boyd recommendation.

It would be best for my wallet to never sign back on wrx again but it's definitely fun conversing with you guys and I can hopefully contribute some helpful stuff in the future.

I can't wait to see these pictures now. #FML

Keep us posted!!!!!

Keep us posted!!!!!

Glad I could be of service! ;)

Just don't get the idea that the full-on custom Boyd blades cost that little; you'd be in for some disappointment. That's only for the pre-pressed heads that don't have a huge amount of discretionary weight.

Patrick is a pleasure to deal with and his ideas/the work is stunning!

He explained the custom pricing to me too and you are right it would be quite disappointing to think the price is that low :) I was originally expecting my project to cost close to what the full custom heads cost which is why I was pleasantly surprised when it was a lot lower. One day!

Haha sorry man. To be fair if you didn't start this thread I probably would have just gamed the hi and been none the wiser ;). Seriously though I actually still feel like I'm taking a large gamble here as the hi is a performer for me. A few of the best shots I've hit all year were with that club and I love it's flight. I'm ordering this custom one knowing full well I may still game the hi in the end. I imagine that 24 launches high flat lasers if the 20 is any indication. I've been close to getting one for a while and still might if the custom doesn't work out. Another member here messaged me and said if it had a more popular brand name on it it would be all the rage around here and I agree with him.

I had spb x installed and get them back this weekend. Really like the hi before but hopefully the new shafts make them even better.

As for gamble, wrx makes you want to gamble. I really like my Mac daddy forged but sold all but the 60 while I wait on the ping stealths to arrive. Never had a ping wedge but figured I’d give them a try due to the success I’m having with the g400 woods.

I emailed BH about a 17 hi in the future. Their reply said there are no plans to make anything less than 20 degrees. Told them they might be missing out because people would want their long irons to match.

I agree if they had a larger name on them the would sell like hot cakes. Buddy played a full set of 790s. Tried my hi’s and sold his set. He went 3-5 in hi and 6-w in one of the other bh models. I might try to find a cheap 20 and bend it to 17 to see how it works.

G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

I had spb x installed and get them back this weekend. Really like the hi before but hopefully the new shafts make them even better.

As for gamble, wrx makes you want to gamble. I really like my Mac daddy forged but sold all but the 60 while I wait on the ping stealths to arrive. Never had a ping wedge but figured I’d give them a try due to the success I’m having with the g400 woods.

I emailed BH about a 17 hi in the future. Their reply said there are no plans to make anything less than 20 degrees. Told them they might be missing out because people would want their long irons to match.

I agree if they had a larger name on them the would sell like hot cakes. Buddy played a full set of 790s. Tried my hi’s and sold his set. He went 3-5 in hi and 6-w in one of the other bh models. I might try to find a cheap 20 and bend it to 17 to see how it works.

Haha yeah I'm learning that about the gambling aspect, that's why I need to stay away :)

I spoke to them about a lower loft hi as well and got the same answer. We discussed bending it but he mentioned the offset can get out of hand bending it that direction if you aren't careful which obviously isn't my favorite. Still considered it for a while and it still might happen if I really like the BBFC iron.

Pretty shocking story about the guy selling the 790s considering how popular they are but at the same time the way the hi flies and feels I'm not that surprised.

Haha yeah I'm learning that about the gambling aspect, that's why I need to stay away :)

I spoke to them about a lower loft hi as well and got the same answer. We discussed bending it but he mentioned the offset can get out of hand bending it that direction if you aren't careful which obviously isn't my favorite. Still considered it for a while and it still might happen if I really like the BBFC iron.

Pretty shocking story about the guy selling the 790s considering how popular they are but at the same time the way the hi flies and feels I'm not that surprised.

Well I have two rounds in with the baby blades and 20 25 hi with spb x after years of s400 and x100. I am really liking the difference in feel. The hi are performing even better. Side note had a 53 Miura wedge built and I’m in love.

G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Welp it's going to be an anticlimactic conclusion anyway, sorry guys. Turns out a friend of mine has a newly acquired a full set of CB 57s that he is only gaming 5-PW in and sent me the 3 to see if I wanted it. I disregarded the CB as an option due to reading lots of opinions that they don't work with the BB but honestly it is exactly what I am looking for. General shape and offset are very close but it's bigger and has more mass lower. I understand the reasons why people say they don't flow and I agree CB57>MB001 makes more sense on paper but if you are just looking for a bit of confidence in a long iron or two I think it is a solid option. It has all of the continuity I was looking for. Now the real issue is the more I get the BBs on the course the more I just want to hit the BB long irons :) There is something special about these irons that I can't quite put into words. But they are very different and the most fun clubs I've ever played.

Thanks to everyone who offered their insight! I'm attaching a pic of the BB and CB 3 irons in case it helps anyone else make a similar decision.

Welp it's going to be an anticlimactic conclusion anyway, sorry guys. Turns out a friend of mine has a newly acquired a full set of CB 57s that he is only gaming 5-PW in and sent me the 3 to see if I wanted it. I disregarded the CB as an option due to reading lots of opinions that they don't work with the BB but honestly it is exactly what I am looking for. General shape and offset are very close but it's bigger and has more mass lower. I understand the reasons why people say they don't flow and I agree CB57>MB001 makes more sense on paper but if you are just looking for a bit of confidence in a long iron or two I think it is a solid option. It has all of the continuity I was looking for. Now the real issue is the more I get the BBs on the course the more I just want to hit the BB long irons :) There is something special about these irons that I can't quite put into words. But they are very different and the most fun clubs I've ever played.

Thanks to everyone who offered their insight! I'm attaching a pic of the BB and CB 3 irons in case it helps anyone else make a similar decision.

You're Welcome!

You're Welcome!

I could have saved myself and the rest of us some time and post count if I just listened to your recommendation on the first page of this thread!

You're Welcome!

I could have saved myself and the rest of us some time and post count if I just listened to your recommendation on the first page of this thread!

Naaaaaaaaaah!

I enjoyed the conversation here. I think it's an interesting topic. I think the Baby Blades create TWO interesting topics in this sense ....

1) .... What to play transitioning from Short Irons to Wedges.

2) ...... And two, what to play transitioning from Mid/Long Irons to Long Irons/Driving Iron/Hybrid.

The Baby Blades are so unique, that the surrounding clubs have to be equally as unique!

... Just my take!

^^^ you make a good point. What I find equally interesting is despite the hassle they create most people are more than willing to toss every aspect of their set upside down to include the baby blades. Not sure exactly what it says but it says something about them for sure!

Speaking only for myself, the feel of a pure strike with the small blade creates those "why I play the game" moments. There's a certain satisfaction in crushing a drive; in bombing a FW or hybrid to hit a Par 5 in 2; in sinking a long lag putt. The small blade provides the opportunity for that satisfaction in an iron.

^^^ you make a good point. What I find equally interesting is despite the hassle they create most people are more than willing to toss every aspect of their set upside down to include the baby blades. Not sure exactly what it says but it says something about them for sure!

Guilty!

... But I'm 5 years into the process!

.... With that said, I'm damn near finished and couldn't be happier! I mentioned it a few months ago, somewhere around here, that I may be on a WRX hiatus here soon. Baby Blades ( ... I guess you could say Miura and Callaway, both as a whole, too) have ended my days of ho'ing.

I'm on the back 9, and I can see the Club House!

Speaking only for myself, the feel of a pure strike with the small blade creates those "why I play the game" moments. There's a certain satisfaction in crushing a drive; in bombing a FW or hybrid to hit a Par 5 in 2; in sinking a long lag putt. The small blade provides the opportunity for that satisfaction in an iron.

Could not agree more. If we are talking a flushed mid or long iron BB that does exactly what you wanted it to do then it surpasses all of those others combined for me. I love a great drive and long putt but hitting the BBs is something else!

Guilty!

... But I'm 5 years into the process!

.... With that said, I'm damn near finished and couldn't be happier! I mentioned it a few months ago, somewhere around here, that I may be on a WRX hiatus here soon. Baby Blades ( ... I guess you could say Miura and Callaway, both as a whole, too) have ended my days of ho'ing.

I'm on the back 9, and I can see the Club House!

That's pretty much the basis for my neurosis you are seeing in my posts. I really love the BB (way way more than expected, was truly a practice/novelty set when I purchased) and I recognize it makes some other aspects of the bag more challenging to get right. Considering I'm in a very cold part of the country right now and have a heavy competition schedule right around the corner I'm trying to figure out a lot of stuff in a very short period of time without testing to the level I would like to. The major issue is the BB made it so I can't go back to gaming the irons I was before. While i didn't love the look of them ever they performed well above expectations. Now I really really don't like the way they or their matching wedges look and don't feel they are legitimate back ups for me. Its coming a long and things are getting figured out but man I'm thinking about my bag more than I ever have!

• 2 weeks later...