Bridgestone Tour B330-RX

GwrxMod

Funny I found the RX to be very clicky off the putter, and felt firmer than the B330S I play.

As well the RX has nowhere near the spin of the B330s around the greens and off the short irons.

Distance was worse with the RX as well, but the ability of the ball to hold it's line in the wind looks similar to the B330s.

Cover was more durable on the RX so that could explain the lack of greenside/short iron spin.

My driver swingspeed is comfortable 106-108 mph so perhaps that explains things, as I believe the RX is built for swing speeds under 95mph.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is my mini review/story of the BS 330-RX. I had found on the 17th, in great shape and had always wanted to try it. Well me and my group get to the 585 yard par 5, 18th, some money on the line and the bet was best store on the hole while only playing wedges (PW,GW,SW,LW) for me. I figured what the heck let's try the 330-RX, and teed it up, and swung my PW, and I have to say I had found my swing today a few holes ago, and really pureed this. Well felt great and a strong mid-high ball flight, one that made me smile In fact, and in fact made one of my buddies question my choice of club.

Well let's just say I am on the green in 4, while next best was on in 5 and so on, if you figure that out, it's right at 145 or so per swing with a PW, normal yardage is 130. Yes some slopes here and there, add to some roll, but my last swing I am about 143-145 out, to a three tier green, pin tucked away up top, and I had no issue going for it, even with hazard on the back side, I had grown that confident in my swing and the 330-RX I just pulled the trigger and stuck it on the top with about a 3 foot back up and ended up 5 feet from the pin.

Now I know it is just one hole , but I was impressed with how the 330-rx responded. My Driver swing is about 106-110

• 3 weeks later...

Played 18 holes with the B330-RX for the last four days and thought I would post my early thoughts. Have to say from the tee I am very impressed with this ball, flight, feel and distance are as good as any premium ball I have ever hit. My only negative was the lack of spin on some chips but that is something I need to get used to, just allow for a few extra yards of roll. I am sure on more receptive greens this ball is going to be stunning

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back after playing the RX and the 330S alternately for the last two months, about six rounds each including a recent Pro-Am in which my pro was the local Bridgestone rep. Anyway, I'll eat some crow on the RX. It is longer than the 330S by about 6 to 10 yards, regardless of club, sometimes longer. I tested out for the RX though I prefer the feel of the 330S. After a round by round comparison, my scores were on average about 2 to 3 shots lower with the RX. I am a 7 index, so that is quite a bit. I attribute it to the distance gains. So in May I was cruising past the hole with the RX while the 330S simply stops for me. I don't make them retreat, never had the swing speed for that. My adjustment on irons was play a club down and that seems to have done the trick. My driver swing speed at 102 mph seems to get me more distance, especially roll, with the RX. Bottom line: Distance Trumps feel. Two stokes per round average is huge. At least for me. :busted2:

The Chile Guy

Since my last post I've got to do the Bridgestone Challenge. Some intersting numbers; My ss was 105-109 mph and with a Sixon URS the ball rpm's were 5600. Then the rep changes the ball to a e6+. All of a sudden the ball rpm's were 2800. They said the e6+ was the ball for me--------

I use the e6+ for my winter ball b/c its long, the greens are soft and receptive and I don't get upset when I loose them to plugging.During the good weather I perfer the 330s b/c it checks up much better around the greens, I work it better and I like the feel.

IMO the RX is a e6+ with a couple more bells and whistles and over priced. Is made for distance rather than for scoring clubs. So I'll give up the 10 to 15 yds off of the tee for more spin around the greens.

When I comes to tour quality balls I play whatever one I can get the best buy on. Lately its been the Sixon URS I was getting for 20 bux a doz. If I pay retail I go directly for the 330s.

• 1 month later...

I've totally changed my mind about this ball. This is an excellent ball. It's not for seniors or beginners per se. It's for everyone! It performs like a tour ball when it has to, and a distance ball when asked. It's a good mix of the two. I bought 4 dozen from knetgolf.com. I love this ball! $42 is still steep for a dozen, but for half that? A no brainer.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I was shocked to read someone say less durability than a Pro-V1 here. to me, the Pro-V1 is not that durable at all, great feel yes, but doesn't hold up that well for more golf after 18 (1 ball). Today, I completed 54 holes with the SAME BALL in 3 days rounds, [b]B330RX [/b] Did I hit a tree, probably, did I hit a cart path, no major hard trails, but a few soft hits I think along. Zero cut marks, the ball can be played more actually, though it's not white at all, finish is about gone. But here's the kicker, this was a USED ball when I got it. :man_in_love: Crazy.

I also play some B330RXS for stopping power and putting. But I have to say, overall, I am quite satisfied with the overall playability of the B330RX. I can also work the ball some as needed. (ok, sometimes I can)

I've hit a few really long drives for me. I am not consistent enough to tell you I get 8 more yards from this ball than a Pro V1, but I can tell you it looses little to the ProV1 for overall playability, and wins the durability match hands down IMO. I still play some Pro V1s on hand though too, I like those 3 balls PDG.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1221875398' post='1262524']
I played 18 today as a single trying this ball along with my chosen few. I teed off with one of these on a par 5 and it flew pretty far. I then re-teed with a Taylor Made Black LDP. Same general drive except the TM flew higher and bolted past the RX. Skycaddie told the tale... 227 yards vs. 255 yards. I can honestly say that this ball is simply "average." This isn't anything special, therefore I can't justify the $42 price tag. I'd rather blow it on a ball that does as advertised.
[/quote] 411 - thanks for the tip on the Taylor Made Black. I was told that the company has come out with some new balls. Will check it out.

• 8 months later...

Anybody playing the 2014 RX?

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1409939384' post='10070975'] Anybody playing the 2014 RX? [/quote]

I played this ball all last year (the 2013 version that is), and I honestly don't like the 2014 as much. I mean, it performs about the same, but the durability is way worse. I've finished 9 holes, looked at my ball, and found what I would describe as "cracks" in the surface. I ended up taking these out of play, and am now using the TP-x balls from TM. I find these to be pretty dang close to the B330RX's from last year.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

• 5 months later...

I change to the RX or RXS during the winter. Great balls. I uses either the ProV1x or the B330S in the summer. My swing speed is between 102-106 usually and probably 10mph lower with my irons. In the winter the ProV1x and the B330S feel too hard to me and with my slowish swing speed I don't feel like I can compress them when it's cold. The 330RX and RXS feel much softer to me in the winter and they perform great. I've also grabbed a dozen of the Wilson Tour balls and they are great for the winter too. Even softer feeling than the RX and RXS, but maybe not quite as long.

• 2 years later...

Gave them a solid one. They'd be a 4 if they didn't cost as much as the PV1x. Sinc ethey do u compare them. There is zero comparison. They are inferior in every way. If I could buy them for $20.00 a dozen my review would be different. Since I pay roughly the same I'd expect them to be as good. They are simply not. Nor even close. Granted on20% of my shots it won't matter. The other 80%, give me the PV1x. It's not close folks. Not even remotely.

• 1 month later...