2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golfers Elbow

In the Tennis Elbow video on that page, folks should do the Theraband exercise in the manner he demonstrates at the 1:00 mark. No torquing by the bad arm when you reload the Theraband bar. The version he does at 1:50 or so, where you reload with both the good and bad arms, isn't advisable for most.

Here is a NY Times article about the Theraband exercise. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Tennis Elbow video on that page, folks should do the Theraband exercise in the manner he demonstrates at the 1:00 mark. No torquing by the bad arm when you reload the Theraband bar. The version he does at 1:50 or so, where you reload with both the good and bad arms, isn't advisable for most.

Here is a NY Times article about the Theraband exercise. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

Thanks. I was referring to the video by the female doctor who is also a climber.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Anyone ever tried kinesio tape? Lots of reviews for it and it seems like it might help to protect during healing processes.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I've used Kinesio tape but not for my elbows but to hold my shoulder joint in place. For the elbow I prefer one of those compression devices like BandIT. Helps absorbs shock and washable/reusable.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pro-Band-Sports-ABI00-Therapeutic/dp/B000FML7SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516044052&sr=8-1&keywords=band-it

I've used Kinesio tape but not for my elbows but to hold my shoulder joint in place. For the elbow I prefer one of those compression devices like BandIT. Helps absorbs shock and washable/reusable.

https://www.amazon.c...eywords=band-it

Thanks!

This one looks unique -the others I have are all more like tourniquets than muscle stabilizers. I like how this one provides support on both sides of the arm. I have one that is similar but in order to really get any relief you have to really pull it tight - and this causes some circulation issues. And it only provides a small amount of support on one side while the other is completely supported. Will definitely read some reviews and check this one out.

Thanks again....

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

For someone who has developed golf elbow, which probably is over stressed tendons that are connected to bone, I would definitely suggest looking into graphite shafts on all clubs. The vibration from a steel shaft that travels up the arms really causes issues for some as opposed to graphite shafts which absorb much of that vibration.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

This may sound stupid but I swear I'm serious.

I read somewhere not to sleep with your hand directly under your head - in my case right hand under my bulbous head while sleeping on my right side .

My right elbow hurt so bad I couldn't drink coffee with my right arm. I moved my hand to an under the pillow sleeping position and the pain disappeared in under a month.

I have had zero issues since. An easy fix that worked wonders for me.

I've got golfer's elbow, but I've been able to keep it at bay for the most part over the past 18 months. I do a lot of typing and that causes a bit of it. I have the therabands but haven't used them much lately.

Things I've found that help it flare up are too much caffeine and sugar. I also tend to lean on my elbow when I'm watching TV and that causes it as well.

I've stopped using the therabands only because I've found spending time on an inversion table does help more. My inversion table is a godsend. And I've been trying to stay away from sugar and caffeine and that has helped.

I tend to find that when it flares up it's usually good to feel around and massage the sorest area above the elbow. But if I keep up on the inversion table and stay away from the sugar and caffeine and stay off my right elbow, I usually have no problems.

RH

Got my Flexband and used it once thus far. Did three reps of 15 and it's no miracle cure but my elbow was throbbing when I got home from work. I did the exercise and the pain went from about an 8 on the 1 to 10 scale down to a 1 or 2. (there is hope!)

I am going to do some more reps tonight and then will apply some heat. (Talked to my doc and he advised heat to increase perfusion in the area to further enhance the healing)

Wondering...

How many reps are those of you using the Flexband doing per day to get some great results?

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

How many reps are those of you using the Flexband doing per day to get some great results?

15 reps, 3x per day.

For me, after 4 weeks I was 80-90% pain free, and basically without any pain after 6 weeks. But I really didn't notice significant improvement the first couple of weeks, but you have to stick with it, and do the exercises with good form.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Wanna know what sucks? None of it helps but time and rest.

You can spend $ on strengthening aids and take pain relievers or cortisone shots (temporary help), but it's not really doing much. It's not inflammation after the first couple days, it's a tendonopathy, so you just have to wait for it to rebuild.

And don't get the surgery unless it's hanging by a thread, it's unnecessary unless a total tear.

So rest it then play then hurt then rest then play.

Takes about a year.

You can spend $ on strengthening aids and take pain relievers or cortisone shots (temporary help), but it's not really doing much. It's not inflammation after the first couple days, it's a tendonopathy, so you just have to wait for it to rebuild.

And don't get the surgery unless it's hanging by a thread, it's unnecessary unless a total tear.

Takes about a year.

So the medical studies are wrong?

http://www.prweb.com/releases/thera-band_flexbar/09/prweb4502424.htm

Even with exercise, though, rest is a no-brainer. But not using muscles doesn't make them stronger. Depends on your injury and always check with your doctor, not a schmuck like me in a forum :)

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Takes about a year.

I don't think you would find very many, if any, orthopedists or physical therapists who are oriented toward current sports medicine practices that would advise a year off with nothing but time and rest for tendinopathy. It's been a long time since sports medicine approached injuries that way.

First of all, there is usually a muscle imbalance involved, and identifying and strengthening the deficient muscle or muscle group is critical. Runners often get high hamstring tendinopathy, and strengthening the glutes is often part of the treatment. Additionally, using light weights/high reps with eccentric contractions has been shown to help with the muscle that is directly involved, as does trigger point work. And techniques like dry needling are also frequently effective in increasing the blood supply to an affected tendon. These things work, and they work without the atrophy that occurs when you just shut down for an extended period. And none of that touches on standard anti-inflammatory treatments like NSAIDS and ice, and other passive treatments like compression bands or sleeves.

It's also important to note that "golfer's elbow" may or may not have anything to do with the golf swing. Lots of people get golfer's elbow who don't play golf; same with tennis elbow. If a golfer gets golfer's elbow and stops playing, they may or may not be eliminating the activity/stress/motion that is causing the problem; if the problem is stuff from daily life, like raking leaves, sweeping, etc., taking a year off from daily life isn't really realistic, and stopping golf may or may not help at all.

Takes about a year.

I don't think you would find very many, if any, orthopedists or physical therapists who are oriented toward current sports medicine practices that would advise a year off with nothing but time and rest for tendinopathy. It's been a long time since sports medicine approached injuries that way.

First of all, there is usually a muscle imbalance involved, and identifying and strengthening the deficient muscle or muscle group is critical. Runners often get high hamstring tendinopathy, and strengthening the glutes is often part of the treatment. Additionally, using light weights/high reps with eccentric contractions has been shown to help with the muscle that is directly involved, as does trigger point work. And techniques like dry needling are also frequently effective in increasing the blood supply to an affected tendon. These things work, and they work without the atrophy that occurs when you just shut down for an extended period. And none of that touches on standard anti-inflammatory treatments like NSAIDS and ice, and other passive treatments like compression bands or sleeves.

It's also important to note that "golfer's elbow" may or may not have anything to do with the golf swing. Lots of people get golfer's elbow who don't play golf; same with tennis elbow. If a golfer gets golfer's elbow and stops playing, they may or may not be eliminating the activity/stress/motion that is causing the problem; if the problem is stuff from daily life, like raking leaves, sweeping, etc., taking a year off from daily life isn't really realistic, and stopping golf may or may not help at all.

I have an elbow problem from using a computer mouse. Elbow and pinky side of wrist. Resting wrist on desk and allowing elbow to hang without support apparently take their toll. Elevating wrist with a rolled up pair of socks and resting elbow on a high chair arm offer relief. I've also changed to a ball mouse, which arches the back of my hand and helps too. I had carpel tunnel years ago, but this is different. Carpel Tunnel Syndrome shot up to my shoulder. The ball mouse helped me recover from that over the course of many months.

Not sure my Flexbar will help with this, but I'll start very slowly and see what happens. The Flexbar has reduced the pain in my other wrist from tendonitis on the back of my left hand.

The weird thing is, I can still swing a golf club without any pain whatsoever. However, if I flip at the ball at the bottom of my swing, it kills.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Takes about a year.

Good post. There isn't a magic cure, time, rest, and proper pt is the prescription. It took time to hurt it, it takes time to heal.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Anyone ever tried kinesio tape? Lots of reviews for it and it seems like it might help to protect during healing processes.

I've been using KT tape for a couple months now. I run it from my forearm, up the outside of my elbow right over the bone, and almost up to my shoulder. Stretch goes 10%, 50%, 10%. Does it feel better? YES. I can get through a round without Advil with the tape. You will have to practice a few different tape methods and see what gives you the best relief... There are almost infinite ways to apply the tape, its a science all on its own.

15 reps, 3x per day.

For me, after 4 weeks I was 80-90% pain free, and basically without any pain after 6 weeks. But I really didn't notice significant improvement the first couple of weeks, but you have to stick with it, and do the exercises with good form.

For the first time today at work I was like 90% pain free. The only position that hurt was when I was at my keyboard. And when I did the reps this evening it seemed more loose and right this moment I am completely pain free.

I am NOT claiming that I am cured. No way. (Heading off the inevitable attacks on my reply) What I am saying is that my elbow has been such a mess that anything pretty much would have been an improvement and this Flexbar seems to be making the muscles more loose and this seems to be relieving the pain I was having.

I am doing other exercises with it also BTW that lean towards helping the wrists. The hurt all of the time and have for years - and still do. But at least my elbow is feeling a lot better.

To those who recommended the Flexbar, if you are ever in Florida please hit me up with a PM. First round (drinks, not golf but nice try) is on me. : )

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

15 reps, 3x per day.

For the first time today at work I was like 90% pain free. The only position that hurt was when I was at my keyboard. And when I did the reps this evening it seemed more loose and right this moment I am completely pain free.

I am NOT claiming that I am cured. No way. (Heading off the inevitable attacks on my reply) What I am saying is that my elbow has been such a mess that anything pretty much would have been an improvement and this Flexbar seems to be making the muscles more loose and this seems to be relieving the pain I was having.

I am doing other exercises with it also BTW that lean towards helping the wrists. The hurt all of the time and have for years - and still do. But at least my elbow is feeling a lot better.

To those who recommended the Flexbar, if you are ever in Florida please hit me up with a PM. First round (drinks, not golf but nice try) is on me. : )

I feel as you do. I'm loosening/strengthening muscles that help relieve the pain. Where in Florida are you? I'll happily buy the second round :)

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Before kids, some 20+ years ago, I worked hard on my game, it gave me tennis elbow on both arms. Chin ups didn't help either and having a death grip on my club. I played through it with compression bands, precursors to Bandit and similar devices. Icing and Advil and rest during the off season. Eventually it went away on it's own, but that took months and months.

Since then, I've had to deal with achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, rotator cuff tendinitis, tennis and golfer's elbow. I avoid taking NSAID's, I can't even remember the last time I took one and I was popping them like candy to deal with the pain before. As soon as I feel any pain, my first line of defense is ice and ice massage and if the pain isn't too bad, start using my flexbars or eccentric stretching. If it still lingers, these days I see a PT for treatments and exercise. I've used medical grade laser's and they helped with achilles and rotator cuff tendinitis and some success with plantar fasciitis to the point where I was able to walk without too much discomfort. I saw another PT that used radial shock therapy that dealt my plantar fasciitis after 3 treatments and he started working on a nagging case of golfer's elbow that has also gone after 3 treatments. Between treatments, ice, rolling it out, stretching and strengthening it with flexbands and flexbars makes the healing time that much sooner. If I had to golf with pain in my elbows in the interim, I'd slip on my Bandit to avoid further pain or damage.

I've tried both time and rest and medical therapy to work out any inflammation. Medical therapy works for me. Relief is so much quicker. I'd like to try to use my flexbar and eccentric stretches several times a week to prevent recurrences of tendon pain.

So treatments are available, some may take to them better than others.

What grip do you have? For most of my life, I had the overlap grip and got golfer's elbow when I was playing a lot. Got a cortisone shot (which is bad) and it took the pain away but didn't repair the injury. So, I was playing a ton pain-free with the cortisone shot. Then when the cortisone wore off, my elbow was toast. Sidelined me for almost a year. Slowly went back to golf by putting and chipping for months, and changed my grip to interlock. After using interlock, golfer's elbow doesn't bother me anymore. It has been around 5-6 years with interlock and so far so good. Knock on wood.

I don't recommend cortisone shots because they don't repair anything. It is just a band-aid solution that masks the pain.

Many years ago the first doc that I went to for a cortisone shot told me not to simply be satisfied with the pain relief brought about by the injection but to use that time to rehab the injury.

Might have been the best advice I ever got.

I know lots of guys who just go back to doing whatever it was that they were doing when the problem developed. When the effects of the injection wore off they were at least as bad as they were prior to and, in many instances, even worse from the additional abuse of an injured body part.

Whether you seek out professional treatment, utilize the Flexbar or devise your own therapy program, I believe that it is ESSENTIAL that you take advantage of the pain free period post injection to do the things necessary to get better.

Otherwise, you will likely continue to chase your tail until something even worse (like a total tear) happens.

As in most things in life, being smart and is usually the best way forward.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

15 reps, 3x per day.

I feel as you do. I'm loosening/strengthening muscles that help relieve the pain. Where in Florida are you? I'll happily buy the second round :)

Central Florida just west of Orlando. I will look forward to it!

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft