2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade Shaft Adapter Compatibility

Jer-Jer

Can anyone explain what TM shaft adapters work with what clubs? I know this is a bit of a broad question, but TM comes out with drivers so often I am not sure "what fits what." Was there a certain model or model year where every model that came after that one TM made all the shaft adapters the same? Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

Adams XTD should be added to the list compatible with the newer adapters. XTD Ti Fairway and Hybrid are compatible with the respective adapters there too.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

That was answered - but to clarify, yes you can.

Thanks Stuart G., I was a little confused but reading the previous answer sure did mention it. Thanks though, I am pretty excited I can grab an m1 or m2 head and just drop it in. Thank you again.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

• 7 months later...

Bump. Got a deal on an R15 shaft and would like to get a 2017 M2 head, compatible adapter?

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

• 1 month later...

I have an older RBZ stage 1 driver (2012). Matrix Ozik XCon shaft. I'd like to get a 2016 M2 driver head. Would the 2012 Matrix shaft adaptor be compatibile with the 2016 M2 head?

thanks

Sorry no. TM transitioned to the newer adapter design with the RBZ stage 2 - so stage 1 is not compatable with the newer heads.

• 3 months later...

I’m LH and just picked up an M2. I have only owned Callaway drivers since the advent of interchangeable shafts/heads. So, I have a couple questions with regards to TM:

1) Are TM tips that are RH backwards compatible like Callaway?

2) How do you determine the lofts from an R1 shaft to an M2 9.5 head? What was the loft on the R1?

I’m LH and just picked up an M2. I have only owned Callaway drivers since the advent of interchangeable shafts/heads. So, I have a couple questions with regards to TM:

1) Are TM tips that are RH backwards compatible like Callaway?

2) How do you determine the lofts from an R1 shaft to an M2 9.5 head? What was the loft on the R1?

1. Yes.

2. The R1 was based on a 10.0* head and the r1 adapter was +/- 2* - so each 'notch' adds ~2/3* (the labels are rounded numbers, not exactly accurate).

Quick question, will an adaptor and shaft used in a m2 2016 driver fit into a m1 3 wood?

Cheers

Yes.

Am I also correct in thinking that butt trimming a driver down will create a 3 wood of a similar play flex to the driver?

Cheers once again appreciate the responses.

Am I also correct in thinking that butt trimming a driver down will create a 3 wood of a similar play flex to the driver?

Depends on what you do with the head weight. As the head weight goes up (e.g. using an actual 3wd head or adding weight to the driver to adjust SW for the shorter length), it can potentially soften up the shaft a little bit and may need a little bit of tipping to compensate. Most shaft manufacturers recommend some tipping for 3wd use. But everyone and every shaft is different.

Also depends on where the shaft came from. Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1" (which is really an excessive amount even for a 3wd).

Thank you Stuart

I have a blank shaft at the moment and want to try it on my driver initially and if that doesn't fit pop it in my 3 wood and was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the adaptor.

I believe the adaptors are one and the same in the taulormade m series for 16-17 can anyone confirm if it's the same for the new 18 model as well?

Thank you Stuart

I have a blank shaft at the moment and want to try it on my driver initially and if that doesn't fit pop it in my 3 wood and was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the adaptor.

I believe the adaptors are one and the same in the taulormade m series for 16-17 can anyone confirm if it's the same for the new 18 model as well?

Well depends on why it potentially didn't work in the driver. If it didn't work because it's too soft, then you'll likely need to do some tipping to use it in the 3wd as it will only play even more soft in the heavier head. But the tipping recommendations are only that, recommendations. Nothing wrong with trying it out in the 3wd w./o doing any tipping. I'd just recommend leaving some an extra 1" longer then you normally would play the 3wd and test it choking up on the club. That way you'll leave the room you need to do the tipping if it turns out too soft in the 3wd.

Pretty sure they haven't changed the adapter design for '18 models. Just realize that some of the fairways (e.g. m2 and m4) no longer use an adapter.

• 1 month later...

Depends on what you do with the head weight. As the head weight goes up (e.g. using an actual 3wd head or adding weight to the driver to adjust SW for the shorter length), it can potentially soften up the shaft a little bit and may need a little bit of tipping to compensate. Most shaft manufacturers recommend some tipping for 3wd use. But everyone and every shaft is different.

Also depends on where the shaft came from. Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1" (which is really an excessive amount even for a 3wd).

Hi Stuart,

you say: Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1"

Does this also apply to the after-market shafts or just for the off-the-shelf models? This could explain why Ive always hated my RBZ Stage2 Driver - no head feel. Ive just bought a pulled Diamana Blueboard with TM adapter on eBay and now Im concerned that this will also have been tipped.

Thanks

Hi Stuart,

you say: Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1"

Does this also apply to the after-market shafts or just for the off-the-shelf models? This could explain why Ive always hated my RBZ Stage2 Driver - no head feel. Ive just bought a pulled Diamana Blueboard with TM adapter on eBay and now Im concerned that this will also have been tipped.

Thanks

It mostly applies to the custom upgrade shafts and (later) any stock shaft that were not a TM proprietary shaft - but only since about 2013 (SLDR release and later and maybe some of the R1 orders). Also, I haven't seen any evidence that they did that with the RBZ stage 2 shafts, or the Jetspeeds (or Aeroburners for that matter). But there is still a lot of confusion about when exactly they started and in what models.

So more details on the history of that blueboard might be needed but if it's an original blueboard, it might have been from before they started doing that tipping even if it was a TM factory installed shaft. However, if it is a pull and has a TM adapter - doesn't that imply that it was installed in something else before the TM adapter was added?

Stuart, is the tipping done to help reduce breakage...warranty?

• 1 month later...

I have an R1 shaft and have found a 10.5 degree M4 head I want to purchase. I have a few questions!

1. Will it fit?

2. What will be the loft in the standard sleeve position? (I believe it is 10 degrees)

3. How will this affect my face angle? (I'm assuming it'll be .5 degrees closed in the standard sleeve position)

Thanks!

1. Yes

2. 10.5* - the labeling on the adapter assumes a 10* head. So if you're using a 10.5* head, just add 1/2* to the lofts labeled on the adapter. It will be no different from using a stock M4 adapter - the r1 adapter is only different in how it's labeled, not in how it works.

3. It wont in the standard (10*) position.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I'm still REAL confused on this so I'm hoping somebody can clear up. I purchased a 2017 M1 440 head and, not knowing all this time about the different TM adapters bought this:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/335-TP-Shaft-Adapter-Sleeve-For-TaylorMade-R15-SLDR-R1-RBZ-Stage-2-M1-Tour-Gloir/371683919238?hash=item568a168586:g:NzMAAOSwqfNXianf

It adjusts 3 degrees. I have already prefitted the adapter into the head and yes it appears to fit but can somebody assure me this will work?

Also I found this handy little chart for the 4 degree sleeves:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4126600

Does somebody have this for the 3 degree sleeve?