Titleist AVX golf balls

casamarina

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s already a thread on these. I’m not sure Titleist will be 100% shutting the idea down. I think they’re going to take the time to tweak the ball and change the price point so it’s more competitive with similar balls.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

What makes you prefer these balls over any other? Average (at best) across the board and terrible feel when chipping IMO.

I'm almost one full club longer with my irons and hybrids with the AVX versus the Pro V1x.

Maybe a bit shorter with driver. Love the ball.

Definitely not as much short game spin, though.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

What makes you prefer these balls over any other? Average (at best) across the board and terrible feel when chipping IMO.

I'm almost one full club longer with my irons and hybrids with the AVX versus the Pro V1x.

For my game, the pattern is opposite. Definitely longer than ProV1x with the driver and fairway wood (mostly extra roll) but more or less similar to ProV1x with the irons. No shorter but probably no longer either.

To me nothing is as spinny inside 50-60 yards as a ProV1x and AVX is certainly controllable but can't do the really quick check and stop on those 40-yard sand wedge shots.

I don't feel I'm giving up much around the greens because I really don't count on being able to check the ball quickly. Maybe one wedge shot out of ten that extra ProV1x spin comes in handy, the rest of the time I'm either too close to the green to try and spin it or I've got enough green to work with that 10-20 feet of release is no big deal. But about once a round I end up nipping a 30, 40, 50 yard pitch shot really nicely and flying the ball over a bunker and the AVX will still end up 20 feet past the hole instead of stopping close.

So maybe 10% less control around the greens traded off against 5-10% more distance on 14 drives a round is a fair tradeoff. I would not be interested if it were really low-spin around the greens.

For my game, the pattern is opposite. Definitely longer than ProV1x with the driver and fairway wood (mostly extra roll) but more or less similar to ProV1x with the irons. No shorter but probably no longer either.

To me nothing is as spinny inside 50-60 yards as a ProV1x and AVX is certainly controllable but can't do the really quick check and stop on those 40-yard sand wedge shots.

I don't feel I'm giving up much around the greens because I really don't count on being able to check the ball quickly. Maybe one wedge shot out of ten that extra ProV1x spin comes in handy, the rest of the time I'm either too close to the green to try and spin it or I've got enough green to work with that 10-20 feet of release is no big deal. But about once a round I end up nipping a 30, 40, 50 yard pitch shot really nicely and flying the ball over a bunker and the AVX will still end up 20 feet past the hole instead of stopping close.

So maybe 10% less control around the greens traded off against 5-10% more distance on 14 drives a round is a fair tradeoff. I would not be interested if it were really low-spin around the greens.

Interesting.

I am a very high spin (for my clubhead speed) player. Perhaps that's the reason that I gain more distance with my irons...

I don’t think I spin my 5-6-7 irons much at all, especially since getting the hot faced Ping G irons a year ago. Any of the Surlyn balls, even the supposedly spin models, release clean through the greens on me. Not much room to pick up distance from lower iron spin.

Full wedge swings, if I go after it 100%, with ProV1x will occasionally back up a yard or so (which I find annoying) but that has never happened a single time with AVX.

I heard that the new AVX golf balls will be discontinued............

Indeed disappointing, such a great ball!!

I guess the feedbacks from the market were not encouraging enough...............and i don't understand why............

Bummer, I liked it better than the ProV1. I prefer the X over both, and the AVX over the V.

X was longer (5-15yds off driver)

X had more short game spin (check on chips)

AVX has high ball flight (angle of decent helped stop ball quick)

AVX had super soft feel!

V had same distance, same spin, harder feel

If they replaced the V with the AVX, I’d be content. I’d be even happier if could make the X softer.

Avian 455 TL, 8.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 14.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 19º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70X
Titleist T200 4 iron, 24º, project X 6.5
Avian 335 blades, 5-9 irons, OBAN CT-125X

Titleist Vokey SM9 48.10F, TT X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 RAW 52.12F, 56.10F, 60.04T, TT S400

Weston Putters - Highland, KBS GPS 120

Launch Monitor - FlightScope Mevo+

Instagram

I've made comments about the AVX on other threads and mentioned I thought it might be a dude after a few rounds. I tried the CSX and the Snell. I didn't care for the Snell but liked the CSX and started playing it. Then I went back to the BS 330 RXS and after a couple of weeks tried the AVX again. It's not in my bag and I love it. It's not longer than the CSX but all around I believe its a better ball for me. I like the distance and control, and around the greens its equal to the ProV1.

So I'll have a to buy them up if they are going to discontinue them. Now I must calculate how many I will destroy or lose and calculate my needs for the next year. Hopeful they will offer discounted discontinued pricing. Over the holidays the ProV1 was reduced, but not the AVX at my club.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I have a soft spot in my heart for the AVX as I shot my career best round with one not long ago. A couple thoughts:

Appearance: It's a really good looking golf ball. From the script to the ability to have a premium yellow ball, the looks are top notch.

Feel: Soft, but not dead soft. I like the feel off the putter as much as anything and FAR better than either the Chrome Soft (which spins more for me but is noticeably more firm off the putter) or TP5 (which is AWFUL to putt with imo).

Spin: I'm a high spin player typically, so the AVX works really well for me. It doesn't leave the super deep ball marks on the green that I get with Chrome Softs or Pro Vs, and it certainly hasn't spun back for me, but it checks well. Probably in-line with the NXT Tour S (feels about the same off the putter as well)

Durability: These things were SUPER durable for some reason. I play with a TON of trees in play on every hole, and unlike the TP5 (which may be the lease durable ball in golf), the AVX handled abuse better than any ball I've played. Cart paths, trees - unlike other balls, no single event has rendered an AVX unplayable for me.

I'd add that I also have a SkyTrak, and beat the heck out of balls over the course of time. While the NXT Tour S seems extremely similar, from a durability perspective, they're completely different balls. The NXT Tour S in rotation has become dull over time and feels far more dead on full shots than the AVXs that I have in play in the simulator. It's pretty shocking to see the difference.

At the end of the day, the AVX is a pretty great ball, and I'm glad I have a few dozen in reserve. Not that I'll ever use them as I tend to like to try different balls (likely to my detriment), but my guess is that they'll rebrand the ball and market it at a lower price point. People seem to equate $$$ with spin versus distance. I'm guessing it gets renamed and rereleased as something less expensive. Why scrap the formula?

Also - the TruSoft that I've tried is nothing like the AVX. Kinda a garbo ball ime.

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I have no idea if it’s correct or not, but the guy that owns my favorite local shop didn’t think they were being discontinued when I stoped in 3 days ago to chat. He had a dozen boxes sitting next to the V1’s.

Par discount Golf in Columbus if anyone needs some. Not much demand with 8 inches of snow on the ground now.

Just heard they go on sale nationwide soon.

I reckon they will be announced next week in Orlando. My club’s pro shop got another shipment, too.

I'll walk to the Titleist booth and ask questions! :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I wrote customer service the other day asking about this and here's the response I got:

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write in and your inquiry in regards to the new AVX ball. The Golf Ball Product Management team has been receiving a lot of positive feedback in regards to this ball. They are going to continue to evaluate over the coming months and then determine if it will be introduced worldwide.

Thanks again for writing in and your support in Titleist.

Regards,

John Cozza

Acushnet Company/Titleist

Customer Service Representative

1-(800)-225-8500

www.titleist.com

2017 Golf Gear Catalog

Customer Service Form

Category: Golf Balls

Email Address: [email protected]

Question: Hi, will the AVX ball be brought to production and if so, when? I know it is a test ball in 3 states, but there have been rumors on reputable websites, ie Golf WRX, that say this ball won't make it to production. Thank you for any information.

Played a sleeve of these over the weekend while on a dude trip and loved them. Someone mentioned the TruSoft which a cheap feeling turd of a ball. The AVX is much better than that ball. I dont think its as long for me as the CS or my current gamer the Srixon QST but it feels great and overall was very consistent. There really wasnt anything it did great but nothing was awful either. Just a damn good ball.

I guess the feedbacks from the market were not encouraging enough...............and i don't understand why............

I am sure the truth lies somewhere in between, but I was told by my Titleist rep that the AVX was so successful they intend to continue and even increase production.

I am sure the truth lies somewhere in between, but I was told by my Titleist rep that the AVX was so successful they intend to continue and even increase production.

I'm hearing wide release in March.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

They had them at Carl's Golfland, here in Michigan yesterday. I believe they were $44.95/doz or $47.99. Can't remember exactly.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

During the test marketing they have been selling them “same price as ProV1” at authorized dealers. The “test market” seems to have expanded to most of the US some time in December but without being announced as such.

My guess is we’ll get a clue at PGA Show about whether they will be ProV1 pricing or not when they go into “real” product wide release status rather than “test market”.

Ok. I just realized that these were only being “ test marketed” , according to the Titleist site, in Cali, AZ, and FL.

Since they are now here in Ohio, and as the previous poster said, in That state up north, in the middle of winter when NO ONE here needs golf balls, then it means one of three things:

1. They are now being “tested” nationwide, with no announcement by Titleist....weird.

2. They already decided to actually launch them nationwide with no announcement by Titleist.....which I find even weirder.

3. They sold very poorly and they are sending the remainder to any interested accounts to blow them out and be done with them.

Hum. It’s all a bit strange really. Its not how things are normally done by a big company.

Can someone help me out here??

Who is this ball meant for? How is it supposed to be positioned in the market?

Same price as ProV and a “premium” softer core ball. They certainly can’t want to steal away their own ProV users. Makes no business sense.

Are they going after chromesoft users at a higher price point? That doesn’t make sense either.

I really can’t see where the niche is for them at this price point. Take them to $39 and maybe I understand it.

I’ve seen them at two places here in OH. One place was selling them for $48, the other $58 (same as ProV1 pricing).

I’m sure North Butte will be having me buy up all of them to send down south ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Ok. I just realized that these were only being “ test marketed” , according to the Titleist site, in Cali, AZ, and FL.

Since they are now here in Ohio, and as the previous poster said, in That state up north, in the middle of winter when NO ONE here needs golf balls, then it means one of three things:

1. They are now being “tested” nationwide, with no announcement by Titleist....weird.

2. They already decided to actually launch them nationwide with no announcement by Titleist.....which I find even weirder.

3. They sold very poorly and they are sending the remainder to any interested accounts to blow them out and be done with them.

Hum. It’s all a bit strange really. Its not how things are normally done by a big company.

Could be waiting to make the announcement at the the PGA Show. I am sure we'll know more later this week.