Titleist Scotty Cameron Detour

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just purchased one tonight. It is the Detour 1, 34 inches, heel shafted with a 30 gram weight. Grip is the SC Black T. I spent close to an hour putting with it on the artificial green of the local golf store. It took me a few minutes to get used to the arched curved body of this putter and made me pull the first few putts. My lag putts from a distance of about 25 feet are ending up anywhere from 5 to 10 inches short of the hole; some making it in. My short putts from 3 to 5 feet all made it to the hole! It produces a crisp click sound and a true roll in my opinion. The headcover is a like a bright burnt orange color close to the Texas Longhorns colors (I am from TX, btw) but SC I believe, calls it the Accident Orange.

So far, a winner in my opinion. We will see how I do with it on the course. Thank you.

I had a 33" / 350g Proto and did not really care for it.

I agree that for lag putts there may not be a better putter i have used, i will second that you can snug 25'ers inches from the whole, i had problems with it from 6-8', just did not line up well for me.

Great putter, just not one that i could use and feel confident with.

Hello again. Well after practicing with the putter for almost half a day, I can relate to some of JHR's comments on the putter. I did lag and lots of short putts of 3 to 8 feet from the hole. I find that I have to work a little hard on aligning my short putts with this putter as the curved line on the body distracted me the longer I used it. The lag putt results I still will rate excellent but I had a change of mind on the short putts. Hope this helps everyone out looking at this putter but I still say demo it to determine if it works for you.

Thanks y'all!

• 3 weeks later...

Have tried this putter about 5-6 times now both on grass and arti turf and I still can not get a feel for it at all. This putter is supposed to fit my type of putter swing and I just can not get the ball where I need to be consistantly. Lag putting is harder as well as and short putts like some others have experianced is harder because of the curved back piece. I do however like the weight of the putter and it does look nice to my eye it just isnt my cup of tee.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I found that if I draw a line on the ball I love this putter. Hated it before I did that but now you'll only pry it out of my cold dead hands!!

The roll it puts on the ball is unreal. I have tried over 12 putters this winter and none roll the ball as smooth as this one.

Try a line on your ball before you give up on this design, makes it easier to line up your putts.

Pat

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Love this putter! I have the Newport 2.5 Detour, and having an open to closed stroke, it looks so good to me. That, and I'm a big believer in having weight directly behind the ball on a putter, and a heavier putterhead. This club suits both my preferences there. And did I mention I just love the way it looks? And the roll it puts on the ball is so good.

I putt cross-handed, and my backswing is shorter than my followthrough. And this thing is just money for my stroke. And did I mention I love its appearance? Probably as important as any aspect of a putter.

• 5 months later...

I really like this putter for someone with an open to close stroke. Its kind of tough to aim with the bar sticking out the back being slightly curverd though.

Taylormade `16 M2 8.5 - KKDC 70TX
Titleist 906f4 - Matrix Ozik Altus 
Srixon U65 20* - Aerotech Steelfiber i95S
Srixon Z785 Raw - KBS C-Taper lite X
Cleveland RTX 4 50*, 56* (bent to 57) KBS $-TaperS
Odyssey White Hot Pro 7CS
Srixon Z Star XV

• 5 months later...

After screwing around with the Detour in my local golf store, I ended up purchasing one last week for a steal $100 (I know the manager). Fortunately, winter hasn't come yet where I live and I was able to put in a couple of rounds with the Detour. This putter has to be the greatest one I've ever played with. I was holing puts from all over. I felt like Tiger Woods. I truly think that this is the best putter ever created. I've played a Yes! Callie the last couple of years and although that putter had incredible feel, I couldn't hole puts the way I do with this one. I found myself laughing with disbelief with how I was putting with the Detour. I have played with other Scotty Cameron putters before and those don't hold a candle to this one. Its too bad that there are so many nay sayers that hate this putter. I've heard that it isn't traditional enough from some of the posts that I've read here and All I got to say to those people is: Screw it, so what if it looks a little unconventional and isn't true to Scotty Cameron's past club making efforts. I'll take those guys’ money all day long and laugh all the way to the bank as they sit there scratching their heads as to why their classic Scotty Cameron didn't do as good of a job as the Detour. What royally pisses me off is that those nay sayers have probably discouraged Scotty to be more innovative. If you want classic looks go buy yourself a persimmon wood and tear drop putter and stick them you know where.

• 7 months later...

i just bought one for an amazing 90 dollars new

looking forward to gaming it. i like weird looking stuff, so hopefully this will be a keeper. i demo'd it before and it felt pretty solid, so i'll let y'all know!

Titleist TSR3 10 Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 5S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 15* UST Mamiya Linq Purple 6F4

Titleist TS3 19 Fujikura Fuel 85HB S

Titleist U500 4i Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 HY 6.0

Titleist 620MB 5-PW AeroTech Steelfiber i95 S

Titleist Vokey Design SM9 52F, 58M True Temper DG S200

Scotty Cameron Teryllium 2 Newport KBS GPS Tour 120 Rainbow
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

• 1 year later...

Great putter for someone who's trying to get the open to close stroke down. Feel is good, don't buy this putter if you don't keep the natural shaft angle at a address as this will ruin this putter for you. I think the traditional Camerons are definitely better for the better player, but as I said, get this putter if you've never really been able to get the open to release style down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was hanging out at a local proshop yesterday and picked up a pretty banged up Detour 2 for $69. I have used mostly Anser type putters in the past but I had most success with T shaped putters (NC Voodoo, 2 Ball Blade). I've fighting my natural tendency to take the putter outside during my backstoke. I figured Detour will encourage more inside or at least more straight putting stroke.

While trying out the putter on the practice green, I noticed couple things. With Detour, right to left breaking putts were easiest to make but I had more difficulty with left to right putts. It takes more concentration on focusing only the blade part of the putter for left to right putts. For the short putts, I agree that the curved shape is distracting.

Overall, I think it's a great putter if you can get over the ugliness.

• 1 year later...

I recently picked up a well-used original Detour for $35 on Craigslist. I didn't think the curved shape on the back would distract me, but boy was I wrong! I find myself trying to block out the back half of the putter. That said, I putt better with the Detour than I did my White Hot XG which I had gamed for seven years! The feel and sound are absolutely magical. I plan to strip and re-apply the paint fill here pretty soon. Until I can find someone that actually wants to buy an original Detour so that I can replace it with a less gaudy Scotty, this putter will be in my bag!

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* | Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red 5S

Callaway Mavrik 5W 18* | Project X Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4H 20* | Fujikura Vista Pro 55 Regular

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 105 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Mizuno T22 49* | Dynamic Gold 105 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Mizuno T22 54* and 59* | Dynamic Gold 120 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Bettinardi 2017 SS28 Armlock, cut down to 37" | Rosemark 1.52 NEO Stealth Tour Grip

• 5 months later...

Got this putter as a gift, so I had to make myself like it. It definitely grew on me, the thing I could not get over is that I would catch myself trying to follow the arched line on the putter by adjusting my putter stroke and that created problems. I eventually sold it, but if you can get used to the curved line, it's a winner.

• 5 years later...