MEMBER TESTING: Aldila Synergy Blue Shafts. Read reviews here!

Recently, GolfWRX members applied to be part of Aldila Synergy Blue shaft testing.

ABOUT THE ALDILA SYNERGY BLUE:

Tour pros, especially with high swing speeds, often look to use the most stable shafts in their drivers to maximize performance off the tee. Thus, shaft manufacturers look to build shafts out of the strongest materials possible to produce that stability.

In its next-generation shafts called “Synergy” Aldila is using a material called graphene. The company says that graphene is 20 times stronger than carbon fiber, which is commonly used in driver shafts.

Synergy is the next generation brand featuring graphene. Graphene is a pure form of carbon. It’s 20x stronger than carbon fiber strands.

The five GolfWRX members reviewing the shafts are:

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks to Aldila and GolfWrx for the chance to test and review this shaft!

I came home from work Friday and found this box waiting for me:

Really nice touch from Aldila to include the t-shirt and water bottle. Both are very nice quality (tour issue, for sure!) ?

I requested the shaft in the 60tx (68g) profile, tour velvet grip (logo down), 45 inch playing length with a Callaway adapter, no tipping. These specs match my current gamer, the Aldila Rogue Rip i/O, 60x (65g).

I tend to play well with shafts that have a mid to mid-high bend point, and torque in the ballpark of 3.5 to 4.0, so I am interested to see how this shaft performs for me. Bend points are similar, but torque in the Synergy is 3.2, with maybe a bit stiffer tip than what I typically play. It will be interesting to me to see how this influences ball flight and performance.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with this shaft with everyone! I've gotten some swings in already with the launch monitor and will continue compiling a good set of data before taking it out to the course against my current gamer. Stay tuned!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Really nice touch from Aldila to include the t-shirt and water bottle. Both are very nice quality (tour issue, for sure!)

I requested the shaft in the 60tx (68g) profile, tour velvet grip (logo down), 45 inch playing length with a Callaway adapter, no tipping. These specs match my current gamer, the Aldila Rogue Rip i/O, 60x (65g).

I tend to play well with shafts that have a mid to mid-high bend point, and torque in the ballpark of 3.5 to 4.0, so I am interested to see how this shaft performs for me. Bend points are similar, but torque in the Synergy is 3.2, with maybe a bit stiffer tip than what I typically play. It will be interesting to me to see how this influences ball flight and performance.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with this shaft with everyone! I've gotten some swings in already with the launch monitor and will continue compiling a good set of data before taking it out to the course against my current gamer. Stay tuned!

Congrats Drew. Looking forward to your review.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

cant wait to hear the reviews, good luck

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Thanks to WRX and Aldila for allowing myself and others to partake in this review. It’s a blast to be a part of these things.

I am going to use a similar format I have used in past reviews, as they have been useful to members/readers. My post is quite long, and think it just helps to know what content is in the review and where it is located ahead of time to expedite the process a bit should the reader not want to weed through the entire post.

Finally, I played 45 holes this past weekend (1/20 – 1/21) with this shaft. I spent about 45 minutes on the range with it prior to my first round, and that was all of the warm up period I had with this shaft before putting it to use on the course. The review below is the culmination of my findings this past weekend. I am hopping on my buddies Trackman Thursday 1/25 to get numbers and compare to my current gamer. I will report back with all of my results later that evening.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. Personal Introduction

2. Gamer (Fujikura ATMOS TS Blue 7X) Overview

3. Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX Review

· Looks

· Feel

· Flight

4. Launch Monitor Results

5. Final Thoughts

1. PERSONAL INTRODUCTION:

Former baseball player, and have been playing golf for about 4.5 years or so since I hung up the spikes in 2013. My handicap was as low as scratch this past summer, and I am currently hovering right around a 2 at the moment. Since it is the offseason here in Wilmington, NC I don’t get out on the course as much during this time of year. Though, there are still plenty of warm weekends to be had the results just aren’t always pretty!

The most improved part of my game over the last year has been driving accuracy by far. There were numerous rounds last year where I hit 12 or more fairways in a round. My swing is short and compact - Backswing is just a touch longer than what can be described as a three quarters take away. My swing speed will usually be right around 115-117 mph. I tend to move the ball right to left if there is any shape at all – 95% of the time my miss will be to the left, with the occasional block to the right. My ball flight is very flat with every club in the bag and the driver is no different.

2. CURRENT GAMER – 2017 M2 9.15° + FUJIKURA ATMOS TS BLUE 7X (TIPPED 1/2”):

I have selected the Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX option because I believe it provides the best head to head comparison to my current gamer, the Fujikura ATMOS TS Blue 7x. The ATMOS is a shaft that I have been extremely happy with, and have even put it in my 3W as well. It just seems to provide me with the stability and accuracy that I need. Added distance is fantastic and I’m not going to sit here and claim that this is the longest shaft on the market, but for me the ATMOS seems to just provide the feel and results that really make the driver one of my most confident clubs right.

3. ALDILA SYNERGY BLUE 70TX REVIEW:

- LOOKS

It doesn’t matter what we are discussing in life, everyone’s style is going to be different. That being said I would describe my style preference for just about anything as simple, clean, and classic.

Aldila’s Synergy Blue is definitely simple and clean. The lettering however, is reminiscent of a sci-fi movie and is certainly on the more futuristic end of the spectrum. I’m not complaining, 2 out of 3 aint bad! Not to mention the only part of the shaft I truly care about visually is the portion I see when I address the ball.

I am extremely particular about how all of my shafts are installed – Some people believe in puring, flow, finding the spine, etc. but all I request is for the label/graphics to be directly underneath the shaft when at address. I DO NOT want to see any graphics or distractions when I am set up to the ball. A shaft could have a unicorn jumping over a rainbow for it’s graphics and I would be totally cool with it so long as it’s not visable during address.

Simply put Aldila hit a home run for me in the visual section of my review. The small blue and silver band at the top of the shaft is hardly noticeable during address, and the dark, steel, grey color of the shaft flows nicely with the white/black contrast of the M1/M2 drivers. I’ve got no complaints with the look of this shaft, but like just about everyone reading this review I care more about the performance of this thing than the look!

- FEEL

Another very subjective aspect of shaft selection is the feel. One of the real selling points of my current gamer (ATMOS Blue 7x) was the very sturdy kick it has. It’s not a piece of rebar and it’s not some noodle that’s going to spin your ball like a top. It has a very controlled yet noticeable load to it.

During my first swings on the range with the Synergy Blue I could immediately tell there was a bit more “life” to the load at the top of my swing. By no means was it loose, but it certainly had a punch to it in the mid section.

Every shaft I’ve ever swung that had an active mid section has meant only one thing… Fore left! I’ve got to believe the only thing preventing the Synergy Blue from following suit is the Graphene tip they seem to be promoting. I was pleasantly surprised by the combination of feel at the top of the load and the stability through the swing into impact. It is a unique feel and combination that may not be for everyone, but with every ball I pegged up the more and more it grew on me.

- FLIGHT

As I mentioned earlier on in the post I have a very flat ball flight. I love the penetrating flight with my irons, but I’m certainly not the guy on this sight scouring for the lowest launching shaft on the market. I’ve played Low/Low shafts in the past and the results we comically poor.

The Synergy Blue is as advertised – Mid Launch. This was one of the reasons I was so excited to test this shaft. In my mind the perfect shaft is something helps me elevate the ball off the tee, with a tip stiff enough to control the spin numbers. While I haven’t got on the Trackman yet (coming 1/25), the visual eye test received a passing grade.

I had no issue at all elevating the ball off the tee. I saw zero ballooning on the range or on the course. The “fore left” concern was squashed, presumably thanks to the Graphene tip. The shape of my shot was unchanged by the installment of a new shaft. I saw my typical straight/slight draw shot

Distance was unchanged - Well struck shots were sent, mishits were what you would expect when you miss the center of a driver. My ball ended up in its usual areas out on the course this past weekend. I’m going to hold off on commenting further about the remaining characteristics until I have the Trackman numbers later this week.

4. LAUNCH MONITOR RESULTS:

*Trackman #s Available 1/25*

5. FINAL THOUGHTS:

*Will Provide After Trackman Results*

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Thanks to Aldila and GolfWRX for another great review opportunity.

Usually, I get alerts from FedEx or UPS if I have an inbound package. Yesterday, I logged into both portals to see if there was anything on the way, only to discover the package had already been delivered the night before!

Next Day Air was total overkill but I'm not going to complain. I really like the design of the box.

yFnkRRr.jpg

The t-shirt is a nice material, not too heavy, and the logo isn't too loud either. And yes, they did send me a floofy orange cat.

0GT1VqQ.jpg

The water bottle is a double wall vacuum sealed stainless, and the lid has a pretty nice design, but the bottle itself is quite heavy so I don't know if it's super practical for walking. Definitely cart-worthy though.

QNcqci8.jpg

They asked for specs of my current shaft, Diamana Ahina 72x (same profile as Whiteboard, D+, and W Series) tipped 1" over standard to a playing length of 45.5". For my driver, I generally prefer low/low and tip stiff. I believe the Synergy is supposed to be slightly higher launching and spinning, but I'm not sure there's a big difference at these levels. I requested a 70 gram shaft, but the 70tx Synergy is actually 6g heaver than my Ahina. The 60tx Synergy is closer in weight, just 4g lighter, but Synergy Black testing here on the forums showed it spinning quite a bit more than the 70tx. The 60tx torque is also 0.5* higher whereas the 70tx has the same torque. Torque is definitely less important these days, more about feel than performance, but overall I'd say the 70tx is the closer match.

Regarding tipping, I didn't know if 1" on the 70tx would be equivalent to 1" on my 72x, so I specifically didn't specify how much I wanted the Synergy to be tipped. Since MRC owns Aldila now, I figured that if there need to be any deviation from 1", the guys would make the appropriate adjustment based on flex and bend profiles. Bottom line, I assume the shaft is tipped 1" but I don't really know, and that's probably for the best.

sDK5TB9.jpg

TwquaRM.jpg

NonQ2Qv.jpg

Incredibly clean design for a shaft in 2018. You don't see anything at address.

ryUAxYA.jpg

I'll be testing the 2 shafts in my 915 D3 8.5* with on-course testing planned for later this week. My original plan was to get launch monitor numbers first, but I think it would be more useful to get an impression of how it plays first, then see if the launch monitor confirms those impressions or if I was totally off base. I've been gaming my current shaft for more than 7 years, so the Synergy definitely has its work cut out.

On the graphene front, I have a background in electrical engineering so I've been on the graphene watch for over a decade and a half. When there were a bunch of news articles about 5 years ago, Head released a tennis racquet that used graphene. Both Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have had success using that racquet, though obviously so have Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal with non-graphene racquets. I never imagined it being applied to golf shafts, but I'm very excited to see how it performs.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

Let me start off by thanking the Moderators and site captains here for the vehicle that makes these great testing opportunities possible. And of course more importantly thank you to Aldila for offering us the chance to test these new shaft offerings . I cant tell you how excited i was when i found out i had been chosen.

My shaft showed up friday along with some goodies that were a very nice suprise. A cool Synergy T shirt and a heavy weight drink bottle. Ive already used that on curse today and love it !

Friday was the 1st warm day we had after a week of snow. I was able to hit 25 balls or so friday evening . And today i played 18 with it in my 17 M1. My initial thoughts on the shaft are very positive. I knew after the 1st ball that i loved the feel , balance point and weight . I chose the 70TX untipped . I made this choice for 2 reasons. I like the heavier weight , and i have played other Aldila shafts in the past ( tour green blue and rogue ) and always favored the TX.

The Synergy has a very stable feel to it , but yet is smooth enough to not make me feel like i have to work hard to load it . The shaft i had in the M1 was a Diamana Ahina 70X tipped a half inch . The Synergy is a good bit lower launch and noticeably lower spin. So much so that i initially bumped the loft up on the M1 2 degrees to raise the launch . But found that i actually preferred the lower launch the Synergy provided. Carry and roll picked up on my home course today. And the fairways were damp from the melted snow.

This is how i usually test a shaft . I will play it on course and see how it feels. If it passes the sniff test then ill schedule some Trackman time and try to confirm that with actual numbers. I plan to do that tommorow . (trackman times all filled up..looks like it will be Wednesday morning before i can get a spot...so reserved 1st spot wednesday) ...Then i will be swapping adapters and testing in a Bridgestone XD-3 Head i have been trying out. So to recap. My initial thoughts on the Synergy Blue is that its maybe the best feeling low spin shaft ive hit in ages. Usually its a tradeoff. Low spin equals Telephone pole. And smooth equals loose. This shaft is very far from loose.

Im posting some initial pics here from friday when it arrived. ( please excuse the 1st pic... the box arrived while i was in the shop working ..i dont have a tire in my living room lol) ... Ill have more tommorow with Trackman numbers vs the Ahina in the 17 M1. stay tuned ........

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Graphene is also used in speaker cones on VERY high end products. Think $80K a pair and up for speakers and high priced head phones.

https://newatlas.com/graphene-speaker-beats-sennheiser-mx400/31660/

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

congrats fellas!!!! enjoy!!! (can't wait to read along)

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Really nice touch from Aldila to include the t-shirt and water bottle. Both are very nice quality (tour issue, for sure!)

As soon as I saw a Michael Scott quote in your profile, I was immediately glad you won!

Please share your thoughts ASAP as possible ;)

Many thanks to the WRX bubbas and Aldila for the opportunity to be part of this test and contribute to the forum. My shaft (60TX) showed up Friday and I was able to spend a little time with it on Trackman while conducting a Rogue pre-sale fitting day for Callaway and got one round in with it on Sunday.

I have captured a little bit of Trackman data that I gathered during my round yesterday. Shot a 2 birdie/2 bogey 72 in which I drove the ball rather well for having an unfamiliar shaft in play. Was also playing with my Dad and for some reason we rarely play well when we play together so it was nice to put up a decent round with him there. This was with the 60TX shaft plugged into a 10.5* Rogue SZ head. The drive captured below was struck reasonably well, but it did launch noticeably lower than the other decently struck drives I had in the round. This was just the only one I had time to get the Trackman set up for since we were racing to get the round in before sundown.

Head speed: 111

Ball Speed: 165

Launch: 12*

Spin: 2200

Carry: 279

Total: 292

In late October, I either herniated a disc or badly jacked up an SI Joint which I'm still trying to recover from. Was a bit disappointed but not surprised that I'm down about 5 mph of club head speed after recovering from all of that. My very early impressions of the shaft are these, and I'll continue to add color and depth to my thoughts as I get more rounds and practice in with it.

-If you want a high end shaft that by its appearance does NOT scream, "HEY, LOOK AT ME AND MY $350 DRIVER SHAFT!!!", then the Synergy series is what you're looking for. The shaft comes in a very deep grey color with quite understated graphic highlights, most of which are on the under side of the shaft in the playing position. By appearance the shaft is all business and calls no attention to itself at all. Not being a fan of shafts like the orange AD-DI and all yellow/red HZRDUS shafts, I find this very appealing.

-Synergy is another in the wave of shafts using super premium graphite materials (graphene, in this case). Other shafts that use similar materials (HZRDUS T1100, the Tour AD series shafts that have Torcaya 1100) have a very distinct, satisfying, and addictive feel through the swing and impact that other shafts are not really able to replicate. Synergy Blue is in that exclusive class of shafts that provide an impact feel that I've heard best described as being like closing the door on a high-end German car (BMW M or Mercedes AMG). It screams quality of engineering, construction, and materials.

-The shaft bend profiles that I've always gotten best results with fall into the category of being relatively soft in the grip end while being relatively stiff in the tip because when I'm swinging well I have a very smooth, droppy first move from the top of the back swing. IOW, I want a shaft that plays stiffer than it feels (think Diamana White, Kuro Kage Silver, Aldila Rogue Silver etc.) if that makes sense. When I began to read the descriptions of Synergy Blue, it was obvious that it does not fall into the category of the shafts that I've always gotten the best results with. Synergy Blue does feel noticeably stiffer in the handle while having more active lower half. Even in the TX flex, there is a VERY pronounced sensation of kick through impact with Synergy Blue. What isn't there is the feeling that the shaft stores a bunch of energy during the initial transition from the top of the swing. That feeling shows up later in the downswing than I've grown accustomed to, which takes some getting used to. The more active tip does, however, launch the ball relatively high and does seem to be easier to turn over than what I'm accustomed to. Even though the higher launch would tend to indicated more spin, I didn't see anything to indicate that during the round I played with it. The back half of the ball flight, landing angle, and roll that I saw on course would indicate that escessive spin is not present.

-For all the reasons stated above, I could see the 70/80g versions of this shaft being a massive success in fairway woods. The Tour Blue was a major hit for many professional and high level amateur players in FWs and hybrids, and Synergy Blue was designed as the second coming of that profile with an update to the materials used.

My VERY early impression of the shaft is that all its redeeming qualities are immediately evident. However, if I was being fit for a driver shaft I do not think Synergy Blue is what I would end up walking out with. That is not because of any sort of flaw in the shaft at all, but rather that the characteristics of my swing and the way I load and unload the shaft would better match up with a different shaft profile. For example, take the materials of Synergy and apply them to the Tour Green or Rogue Silver profile and you'd have a shaft would be a perfect fit for me. Obviously will log many more rounds with this shaft and let others swing it get their impressions, but so far that's what I've got. Again, the merits of the shaft are immediately obvious. The issue is one of a mismatch of bend profile and swing characteristics.

Holler with any questions you have, and I'll continue to update. Pictures will be up as soon as able, cheers!

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I planned on spending the day at the auto shop, but they said my scheduled repair wasn't necessary. When an auto shop turns down your money, you say "Yes and thank you" and run! :cheesy: It was mid-high 50s and overcast, so I was able to get in some on-course testing earlier than expected.

Before teeing off, I hit most of a bucket of range balls. This was my first round since December 4 so my swing was definitely rusty. Combined with the course conditions, I knew I wouldn't be able to say too much about distance, but I could definitely talk about feel and launch conditions. That said, I split my range time between my old shaft and the Synergy and I was overdrawing both which is my typical miss.

I played the front nine with my old shaft and had a lot of trouble with overdrawing. By #9, I finally decided to weaken my left hand grip and that changed everything. I striped a drive down the middle with a baby draw, my ball flight when I'm swinging well. That adjustment continued working on the back nine when I swapped in the Synergy.

Launch was similar to my Ahina, maybe a little higher, but spin stayed low. Notably, dispersion was very good. I confirmed this by hitting the rest of my bucket after the round and I basically couldn't miss my target, hitting everything with a high baby draw. This may sound ideal, but it also means I had trouble hitting a controlled fade with the Synergy. I could hit a slice of course, but the fade was more difficult to pull off.

This is a difficult driving hole because the fairway narrows to 18 yards about 300 yards out. The bunker you can easily see isn't in play, but there are bunkers beyond it and the trees on the left line the entire hole. Piece of cake for the Synergy though, a high baby draw that never left the middle of the fairway.

zS6FRI5.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, distance was hard to gauge because of course conditions, weather, and the state of my swing, but I would say the Synergy is at least comparable to my Ahina. My solid tee shots only finished about 5-10 yards short of where they would be under normal conditions. What kind of course conditions am I talking about? Well, have you ever played golf with snow on the course? :crazy:

usbtlR5.jpg

As far as feel goes, I traditionally like a stout shaft. The one exception to this was the Aldila RIP Alpha 80x in my 3 wood which I absolutely hated. Honestly, it might be the worst shaft I've ever played. Compared to my Ahina, the Synergy definitely has a more active tip, but it doesn't feel loose. In fact, I'd argue it feels more stable overall. That's probably due in part to the fact that I can feel the much larger 0.645" butt compared to the 0.604" of my Ahina. If I focus on the tip, I would say I don't really like the Synergy's livelier feel, but if I focus on the overall feel, the Synergy is very stable and smooth.

Overall, I'd say my first on-course test with the Synergy was a success but not an unqualified success: fading the ball was difficult, I don't know if I'll ever get used to how the tip feels, and we won't know how it compares for distance until I get on a launch monitor.

My Ahina at address:

pZ9giZK.jpg

The Synergy at address:

diKsaOE.jpg

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

thanks for the info

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I've posted my review from this past weekends rounds - I am hopping on my buddies Trackman this Thursday and will update my post with the results from the head to head with my current game ATMOS Blue 7x.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

I noted in my review that I think Synergy Blue could be especially effective in fairway woods, and right on cue a 70TX showed up in the 3W of Anirban Lahiri at the Farmers.

WITB Link

I noted in my review that I think Synergy Blue could be especially effective in fairway woods, and right on cue a 70TX showed up in the 3W of Anirban Lahiri at the Farmers.

Yep. Was my backup plan for mine. Always loved the tour blue in a 5 wood. But it’s suiting me so well in Driver I may need an 80tx for the 5 wood.

Several more practice sessions in with the synergy in the m1. And as far as flight and spin I’m in love ! Working on a slight path change with Driver at the moment. But i make quick corrections. So no big deal. Looking forward to my trackman appointment in the morning ! Pics. Will follow !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Launch Monitor and On-Course Report

I've had the Synergy for 5 full days now and have put together some launch monitor numbers as well as some impressions from getting out to play 9 holes today. As a little bit of a background, having been through a handful of "professional" fittings, I've come to the realization that I really don't believe the modern fitting system of spending 60-90 minutes on trackman trying a host of different options until the numbers look good is a realistic way of finding the right equipment. At least for me, it's never resulted in gear that had any staying power in my bag. Instead, I prefer to simply try some options based on past successes and see how they feel. Waggle the club, take some swings, etc. If the shaft feels good to me and produces a flight I like, then I'll look at numbers and see if they confirm what I'm feeling. When the two match up, I've found what I'm looking for.

All that to say, the current driver head/shaft combo that I'm gaming came about in the same way and it's been a good combo for me.

I began testing the Synergy Blue 60TX on Friday and have been compiling launch monitor data daily on my GC2. I wanted to provide numbers over several days' time, including both good and bad swings to really see how the shaft stacked up against my gamer. As you can see, there wasn't much of a difference! Here are the averages from the past 5 days:

Aldila Rogue Rip I/O 60x

Carry: 297.25

Ball Speed: 175.8

Backspin: 2270

Side Spin: -290

VLA: 15.1

HLA: 3.2

Offline: 4.01

Aldila Synergy Blue 60TX

Carry: 297.5

Ball Speed: 175.9

Backspin: 2349

Side Spin: -320

VLA: 16.2

HLA: 2.1

Offline: -2.1

General thoughts following testing were that the Synergy has a very stable tip and an active mid-section. I actually really enjoy the feel of this shaft! Feel is obviously very subjective, but to me it feels smooth, stable, and it has an easy power to it - I don't need to work hard with it at all. With that said, I did get a couple more foul balls with it. Despite the averages above, I had a 70-yard dispersion from left to right with the Synergy compared to only a 47-yard dispersion from left to right with the Rogue. The Synergy did have more of a tendency to go left on me also, which I don't like. I mis-hit it more frequently than my gamer, so it may just not be quite the right fit for me (I swing-weighted them both and they came out identically at D0.5). However, I continue to be intrigued by it, and more-so after taking it to the course, so I will continue to put it through its paces to see if it has a chance to stay in the bag. The good ones feel REALLY good, it's just figuring out if the bad ones are due to a poor match for my swing or just a poor swing :)

On-course today I hit the shafts head to head on 5 separate occasions. Again, the Rogue was more accurate overall, but on the good ones, the Synergy out-performed it slightly both in distance and feel. It launches noticeably higher than my gamer, (even though data only says 1*), which was interesting to see, but it never ballooned, just a nice high launch with low spin.

Will it stay in the bag? Time will tell, as I'd like to get it back on the course a few more times before making a decision, but my gut is telling me no, simply due to the fact that I am finding the center of the face more often with the Rogue and am able to keep it in play quite a bit better. After tomorrow morning (online golf match in the AM that requires I drive it well), I am going to put the Synergy in play for several days in a row without switching back and forth and will see if my misses become more centralized or if they are still an issue. I think that will end up being very telling, so I will report back what I find!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Well.... this day started with a Trackman session and the human factor ( me) hampered getting good clean data..... I did however get a piece of info that by days end lead to the solution.... AoA was averaging -3 .... was hitting it center but couldnt control spin... Shots with a smash around 1.47-1.48 would net an average spin rate of 3600...some poorer strikes saw some spin above 4k... ( yea i know).... but this was the case with all 4 shafts i had with me ..... ADDI 7X , Ahina 70X, Oban DEVO7 and of course Synergy 70TX... lowest spin i saw this morning was 2700 and was on a center strike with the DEVO7...

To give a small backstory i hit every club both ways except driver currently. I had gone to a fade only for control last year.. Well i have fallen into a rut and had been fighting a steep condition and high spinny fades that flew no farther than 3 wood ( which i hit very well)... So i gave my mentor a call and met him for a tune up bucket this evening... Ill spare you the play by play but Im on track now . I plan to get back on trackman by the end of the week for an update...

I can say this though. The Synergy is the 1st shaft thats allowed me to hit a controlled draw with a modern driver . I hit a bucket of high flat bombs this evening that all fell left... At this point the numbers will just be for the review... Im a "feel" player and im in love with the feel of this shaft... Its staying in my bag . As another reviewer above said ... It is easy to turn over.. But does not want to hook .. Stays super stable all the way through impact.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The water bottle is a double wall vacuum sealed stainless, and the lid has a pretty nice design, but the bottle itself is quite heavy so I don't know if it's super practical for walking. Definitely cart-worthy though.

QNcqci8.jpg

Just saw Jon Rahm drinking from this water bottle during his post-round interview! Well, it had a different logo, but definitely the same bottle!

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

well.. Plan to test some tip trim on this shaft tommorow.. tipping a half inch to start with in an effort to control some spin and height ... For reference all last season i played an Atmos Black 7X tipped a half inch.... so Maybe starting here untipped was not quite the right choice. Have a match scheduled for tommorow afternoon .. supposed to be high of 50 and some wind.. so should be a good test.. Ill report back with some more pics and on course thoughts tommorow night .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well. Played 13 holes yesterday afternoon. And hit driver on 4 of them. 3 really well struck balls into a good wind. And a 4th that I caught a little high toe and pushed onto the right rough.

Really impressed that it now has a boring flight that the wind did not stand up at all. Still love the feel and when well struck spin obviously is low enough to not be effected much by the wind. Not a spin killer. But my swing polishing is proving to not need that bandaid quite as much. Although I am very curious about the synergy black vs blue.

Also would like to add that I put the synergy blue into my m1 3 wood head on the range. And it is filthy long and straight at 15 degrees. Maybe the longest 3 wood shaft combo I’ve hit. And I was choking down to 3 wood length. ( Driver is playing 44.5 so not much difference ) ...so food for thought.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Also would like to add that I put the synergy blue into my m1 3 wood head on the range. And it is filthy long and straight at 15 degrees. Maybe the longest 3 wood shaft combo I've hit. And I was choking down to 3 wood length. ( Driver is playing 44.5 so not much difference ) ...so food for thought.

Further confirmation of what I've suspected about the Blue profile, a home run in FW's.

WITB Link

Speaking of tipping, it seems that Titleist doesn't necessarily tip all their driver shafts 1/2" to "play to flex" anymore, so "tipped 1" additional" could've resulted in my Synergy only being tipped 1" total instead of 1.5" total like with my Ahina. I guess if I continue to have trouble fading the ball, that's what I'll blame. :D

I was planning to get out for a second round of testing today but I have a strain in my left quad. Hopefully it'll recover by Tuesday since it's expected to reach 62*F.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

Well. Played 13 holes yesterday afternoon. And hit driver on 4 of them. 3 really well struck balls into a good wind. And a 4th that I caught a little high toe and pushed onto the right rough.

Really impressed that it now has a boring flight that the wind did not stand up at all. Still love the feel and when well struck spin obviously is low enough to not be effected much by the wind. Not a spin killer. But my swing polishing is proving to not need that bandaid quite as much. Although I am very curious about the synergy black vs blue.

Also would like to add that I put the synergy blue into my m1 3 wood head on the range. And it is filthy long and straight at 15 degrees. Maybe the longest 3 wood shaft combo I've hit. And I was choking down to 3 wood length. ( Driver is playing 44.5 so not much difference ) ...so food for thought.

What are your thoughts on the tipping's effect? I haven't been able to get on the Trackman yet, so don't want to chop the tip without seeing numbers first. That being said I typically play my shafts 1/2" tipped as well. So just curious to your thoughts on how it changed the feel/playability of the shaft?

PXG One & Done | Armlock

What are your thoughts on the tipping's effect? I haven't been able to get on the Trackman yet, so don't want to chop the tip without seeing numbers first. That being said I typically play my shafts 1/2" tipped as well. So just curious to your thoughts on how it changed the feel/playability of the shaft?

Tipped a half inch. The only difference I saw really was launch angle. I don’t have numbers yet. But I feel like it was a good 2 degrees lower. Which is what I needed. I have been working on getting my AoA to -1 or 0 and when I did before it launched pretty high and fell out of the sky. Now it seems to launch into the perfect window to get up. But then go and flatten out. Doesn’t feel boardy or hard to launch though at all. I wouldn’t be afraid to go a full inch if using a 10.5 head. An inch is the recommended 3 wood tip trim from the start. So wouldn’t be wasting the shaft if it didn’t work. If that makes sense.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I planned on spending the day at the auto shop, but they said my scheduled repair wasn't necessary. When an auto shop turns down your money, you say "Yes and thank you" and run! :cheesy: It was mid-high 50s and overcast, so I was able to get in some on-course testing earlier than expected.

Before teeing off, I hit most of a bucket of range balls. This was my first round since December 4 so my swing was definitely rusty. Combined with the course conditions, I knew I wouldn't be able to say too much about distance, but I could definitely talk about feel and launch conditions. That said, I split my range time between my old shaft and the Synergy and I was overdrawing both which is my typical miss.

I played the front nine with my old shaft and had a lot of trouble with overdrawing. By #9, I finally decided to weaken my left hand grip and that changed everything. I striped a drive down the middle with a baby draw, my ball flight when I'm swinging well. That adjustment continued working on the back nine when I swapped in the Synergy.

Launch was similar to my Ahina, maybe a little higher, but spin stayed low. Notably, dispersion was very good. I confirmed this by hitting the rest of my bucket after the round and I basically couldn't miss my target, hitting everything with a high baby draw. This may sound ideal, but it also means I had trouble hitting a controlled fade with the Synergy. I could hit a slice of course, but the fade was more difficult to pull off.

This is a difficult driving hole because the fairway narrows to 18 yards about 300 yards out. The bunker you can easily see isn't in play, but there are bunkers beyond it and the trees on the left line the entire hole. Piece of cake for the Synergy though, a high baby draw that never left the middle of the fairway.

zS6FRI5.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, distance was hard to gauge because of course conditions, weather, and the state of my swing, but I would say the Synergy is at least comparable to my Ahina. My solid tee shots only finished about 5-10 yards short of where they would be under normal conditions. What kind of course conditions am I talking about? Well, have you ever played golf with snow on the course? :crazy:

usbtlR5.jpg

As far as feel goes, I traditionally like a stout shaft. The one exception to this was the Aldila RIP Alpha 80x in my 3 wood which I absolutely hated. Honestly, it might be the worst shaft I've ever played. Compared to my Ahina, the Synergy definitely has a more active tip, but it doesn't feel loose. In fact, I'd argue it feels more stable overall. That's probably due in part to the fact that I can feel the much larger 0.645" butt compared to the 0.604" of my Ahina. If I focus on the tip, I would say I don't really like the Synergy's livelier feel, but if I focus on the overall feel, the Synergy is very stable and smooth.

Overall, I'd say my first on-course test with the Synergy was a success but not an unqualified success: fading the ball was difficult, I don't know if I'll ever get used to how the tip feels, and we won't know how it compares for distance until I get on a launch monitor.

My Ahina at address:

pZ9giZK.jpg

The Synergy at address:

diKsaOE.jpg

Heritage?

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

zS6FRI5.jpg

usbtlR5.jpg

My Ahina at address:

pZ9giZK.jpg

The Synergy at address:

diKsaOE.jpg

Heritage?

You know it. I live fairly close to the course, it's a challenging layout that makes you work the ball both ways and tests every club in your bag, and I can usually get on for $25.

I definitely understand when people complain about pace of play and overly sloped "circus" greens, but I just avoid it on weekends and I've played the course enough that I generally don't miss on the wrong tier of the green.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

zS6FRI5.jpg

usbtlR5.jpg

My Ahina at address:

pZ9giZK.jpg

The Synergy at address:

diKsaOE.jpg

Heritage?

You know it. I live fairly close to the course, it's a challenging layout that makes you work the ball both ways and tests every club in your bag, and I can usually get on for $25.

I definitely understand when people complain about pace of play and overly sloped "circus" greens, but I just avoid it on weekends and I've played the course enough that I generally don't miss on the wrong tier of the green.

The greens are fine, people that complain about them are normally bad putters that want basically flat greens. The green complexes and uneven fairway lies are the courses defenses. I used to live in Dunwoody, and played there a lot, but moved to east Cobb for the schools. Pace of play on the weekend is brutal out there though, even worse than some others. I am not a fan of the nine across the street, really crammed in and I've almost been hit more than once over there.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One