higher loft driver

just plain bill

Been using a ping k15 10.5 in an attempt to gain more ydg...something just wasnt happening at the rate I thought it could...put the rapture 12* in play yesterday and today...picked up 30 to 40yds (gps)...nice high draw...amazing! Let two guys use it yesterday and they crushed it (one guy had a g20 9*) for some reason I have always driven best with a 12... also, today, #9, 96 out...ball went in the hole! Thrilling! Anyway, it's nice to pick up the ydg off the tee after experimenting...put me in much better position on most holes...give it a try!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 12* adjustable 915d2 that I crank down to 11.25*. Currently using a 9.5* Epic set up to 10something*.

I'm right on the swing speed and launch angle threshold where I need to play the longer carry, but on a day when I've eaten my Wheaties, the lower loft is longer.

There are HL options, but there is also the Women’s option. You could always buy a women’s adjustable driver head and put your shaft in it, make sure the head gets some weight added to it and there you go

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I normally start my round with the 16, staying outa trouble cuz there's nothing worse than a bad start, lol...itll do 190-210 under normal conditions, swinging nice and easy... (man, I used to hit that 240+ back in the day) once I start feeling it, I break out the lower lofts (I dont do any warmup cuz I start crushing it on first tee and get in trouble. Plus I focus a lot better on every shot/putt...weird, I know, but it works for me) I was giving some serious thought to the m4 with the unusual face, and was ready to plunk down the dough if it helped my game, but the rapture may just be the answer, again...hmm...$500 saved...hmm...g700 irons look sweet! Hmm...

I have a KZG GF460 HL with an True Temper EI-70II that I love. Mid-high bend profile shaft with a 12 degree head is mojo. The EI-70II is still a great shaft, IMO.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

You may well find that the VAST majority of golfers are playing Drivers that are high launch but don't realise.

I have a Ping G20 and 10.5°, nice club still that is up with most newer clubs I've demoed. I had a friend, a club builder, check it out and the head is in reality 13.9 degrees !!!

He tells me that this is the norm and that most companies do this, with Taylormade and Mizuno being the worst culprits.

I played a GBB 13,5 last season. This offseason built a Ping G812 Head (15*) at 44.25” to be my new gamer. I need launch as I tend to slam the face shut at impact.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

The one thing I can recommend to anyone looking for a driver is to keep an open mind. The OP did and was pleasantly surprised.

I had a similar experience. Last fall, I played in a member/guest tournament and won a TM M2 in the raffle. Since it was basically free, I decided to go to my local club fitter and get it set up properly. I spent over an hour on the GC2 launch monitor and got plenty of data. Throughout the process, the club fitter didn't let me know which adjustments he was making. This is also something I would recommend so you don't adjust your swing based on preconceived notions. When it was all said and done, the M2 was setup in the "higher" hosel position which is 4* closed and +2* loft. I never would've tried this setup, as I don't slice the ball. What I didn't know until the end of the fitting was that he set it up this way because my spin was too low (around 1,500 in the neutral setup). With a healthy bit of skepticism, I went to an outdoor range to test the configuration. Sure enough, I was a hitting the ball the long and straight. I've since moved these settings to the M1 that I'm currently gaming with the same results.

I bought a Cobra F7 this off-season, so I have not had time to try different settings yet. Do you think if I set it to 11.5 or higher I might get more distance ?

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

I bought a Cobra F7 this off-season, so I have not had time to try different settings yet. Do you think if I set it to 11.5 or higher I might get more distance ?

yup... jack it up

higher loft and possible angle of attack, it will go for days

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I wouldn't mind having a driver with a higher loft than 10.5 as I'm naturally a low spin player with a negative AOA and my swing speed is average at best (90-95 MPH).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late 60's yo, around 80 mph swingspeed. Was fit for my current 12* driver by a Ping rep outside with monitor.

I'm playing my Ping G 400 SFT 12* at standard setting after playing it for a bit at very slightly open in the small minus (11.4* according to Ping. I'm aware of the discussions about loft really not changing if you sole the club etc.) Decided that I preferred the square look and that subconsciously I might be getting a bit flippy at times with the slightly open face.

Conversely, I can start to swing left over time with a closed face that can actually lead to fades/slices/heel shots. Crossfield has at least one video discussing this. If I decide on a specific shot to close or open the face a touch I 'd prefer to do that old school with my hands.

One thing I've had to work on with this 12* driver (and one I had briefly before) is not to overtilt and actually lose power and distance being too conscious of the extra loft and desire to launch. If that makes sense how I describe it. Now that I'm relaxed on that a bit I'm getting a few more yards of carry generally than I was at the small minus, without trying to over-manipulate the club .

Oddly enough, the proper launch angle and spin rate for your swing & SS WILL result in you longest drives!!!!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Golf is not a one size fits all and blanket advice like this isn't really good to give to uneducated golfers, or at least people who havent spent a decent amount of time on trackman being fit.

I would suspect OP and his pals have fairly neutral to maybe even negative AoAs, possibly lower-ish swing speeds, such that 12* drivers are actually increasing their distance. If I ramped up to 12* my drives would probably be 150+ft in the air and I'd likely lose 40-50 yards total distance because I have a very high launch angle and AoA. I need very low static loft and lower-ish spin. Lucky for me I actually know this about my swing.

Golf is not a one size fits all and blanket advice like this isn't really good to give to uneducated golfers, or at least people who havent spent a decent amount of time on trackman being fit.

I would suspect OP and his pals have fairly neutral to maybe even negative AoAs, possibly lower-ish swing speeds, such that 12* drivers are actually increasing their distance. If I ramped up to 12* my drives would probably be 150+ft in the air and I'd likely lose 40-50 yards total distance because I have a very high launch angle and AoA. I need very low static loft and lower-ish spin. Lucky for me I actually know this about my swing.

Good points. I've amended some points on my post to my particulars and being fit to the driver.

Good points. I've amended some points on my post to my particulars and being fit to the driver.

Not calling anybody out here, just that one man's experience can't be applied to another without reason first. If somebody has a high AoA with speed, a 12* driver will be a total disaster for them. Same thing with a lower lofted driver and low to negative AoA... They do need the loft. This is why DJ and some pro's are in 10.5* drivers (least he was last year)... Gotta get fit.

If you're under 85mph w the driver, without getting into needless detail about angle of attack and spin loft, then you will benefit from more loft, bc you'll increase total distsnce x by increasing height y, bc of the shape of the parabola. 

If you're bt 85-95mph, it depends on your angle of attack and spin loft, and you need to do some trial and error to see if you hit that 220-250 zone with more or less loft.

If you're over 95mph, you will probably increase distance x with less height y, bc your ball speed lends itself to a flatter parabola w lower launch.

These are generalities. There are occasional fast swingers who do better w more loft bc of extreme AoA and spin loft. And there are similar extremes on the other end. We've all played w older dudes who launch low and roll out, who might not see more x distance w more loft.

But those generalities typically prevail.

I play a 13° Rapture off the tee with success. Before that my most successful driver was a Yonex i-ezone 10°. I have been salvitating over the Jbeam Premium black 535 for too long now at an 11-11.5° loft at ½° open. I think quite a few people would benefit from some extra loft on the driver.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

You may well find that the VAST majority of golfers are playing Drivers that are high launch but don't realise.

I have a Ping G20 and 10.5°, nice club still that is up with most newer clubs I've demoed. I had a friend, a club builder, check it out and the head is in reality 13.9 degrees !!!

He tells me that this is the norm and that most companies do this, with Taylormade and Mizuno being the worst culprits.

Make sure he is rotating the head to a 0* face angle in his spec gauge. Many Ping heads...and others as well, will rest with an open face in a measuring gauge (even if stated as "neutral"), so if they are measured at that open angle it will result in a higher loft reading than Ping would measure for you.

Even then, for what I've measured, most Ping drivers that are stamped as "10.5" will actually measure at about 12*, give or take the tolerance that is always there with every brand

Interesting info here! Good read! Back in the day, 20yrs ago or so...I tried 9.5, 10.5, and was too wild with the lower lofts...picked up a 12* cobra, stock reg shaft, and the party started! Because the higher loft kept me in the fwy most of the time, it allowed me to swing as hard as possible, and I could really crush it...I was able to win the long drive in a tournament in Phoenix...I actually crushed one 380yds in Albuquerque on a par 5...those were the days, lol...not bragging, believe me. I AM pointing out that even if you're a banger, 12* just might keep you out of trouble, yet add ydg off the tee at the same time...my recent experiment with a 10.5 had to come to an end cuz I was hooking too much and getting in trouble...that darn rapture has given me more confidence, and ydg, and a draw instead of a hook! I suspect I have a high angle of attack, and about 88mph ss, if that helps...but I sometimes play with someone who is younger, has a real golf swing, and can crush it into the trees...I ask them to try the 12* and they invariably hit it long and straight...in fact, when they hit the 16* teed down, they crush it way out there as well... more loft has helped me...it may or may not help you...but it's something to consider if you're not happy with your lower lofted driver for whatever reason. :)

I'd love for someone to explain how the physics work with high launch shafts. I've read about them but it's confusing. I can hit it good but it's almost the same as going up 2-3* putting something like the aldila DWS in the club. It just launches high as can be. Same with my gamer ilima. Meant as a fairway shaft but let's me Play 10.5.

Lots of knobs to turn to find the correct set up for sure.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

All I know is I love this €^¥«%¢# game! Also, I kinda like my current gear, but I'm willing to try something different at any time, lol.... example: sunday I tested one of the TM m drivers, and I couldnt stand it...adjustable drivers dont feel right to me...and when the g700s come out, im gonna be all over em...or I might keep my karstens and put graphite in my wedges cuz my shoulders are killing me... what a game...