Bryson DeChambeau WITB: 2018 Farmers Insurance

GolfWRX

to each there own, i dont have a single criticism of how he does things because it works for him. I just have one question. if he is so smart, does he really need the little stickers on the club to remind him of what the actual loft of the club is? is he going to forget that his 7.5 driver is really 7.9?

i am imagining a situation. Bryson steps up to a 520 yard par 4 looks down the fairway and see a bunker on the left at 280 yards out and a large lake down the entirety of the right hand side. The fairway slopes slightly toward the lake so a draw is favored to avoid the ball running into the water. if he can carry the bunker the ball should run out well leaving a short iron into a pin tucked on the right hand side of the green behind another bunker 10 yard deep. Bryson looks at his driver and says to himself" man!! if i could just remember if my driver is 7.5 or 7.9, i could destroy this hole!!!!

LOL

The stickers on the clubs are from the Cobra Trailer. This way they know exactly what head weight and loft are each head. When the pros test new clubs they want to know the exact specs of everything they have. The tour trailer guys know based on this what combinations to pair them with. This is actually very normal from all companies, Ive seen sharpies used etc.

Cobra F8+, Tensei Pro CK White 60x
Cobra F8+ 3 Wood, Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
Titleist H2, 19 Degree Hybrid, Tensei Pro CK White 90X
Cobra King Utility, 21 Degree, Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra King Forged Tour, 5-Gap, DG Tour Issue X100
Cobra King Wedges, 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Issue X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34"

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 degrees driver, 12 degrees 2 wood and 15 degrees 3 wood?

Interesting......2 driving irons and 6-P?

Not 8 degrees , 7.9 degrees .

He wouldn't be able to hit it if it didn't have the 7.9 sticker

Abit like the 60.5 stamp on JTs lob wedge . Can't these micro spec adjustments just be written in a note pad?

Sticker is important for swing weight. You don't get that benefit from writing it in a notepad. ;)

Maybe it is the angle the picture is taken and how the clubs may be sitting in his bag, but the irons and wedges didn't strike me as "single length."

If you watch this WITB with Dechambeau he explains at around 50 seconds why they look different lengths, basically they get stuck together in the bag.

8 degrees driver, 12 degrees 2 wood and 15 degrees 3 wood?

Interesting......2 driving irons and 6-P?

Not 8 degrees , 7.9 degrees .

He wouldn't be able to hit it if it didn't have the 7.9 sticker

Abit like the 60.5 stamp on JTs lob wedge . Can't these micro spec adjustments just be written in a note pad?

Sticker is important for swing weight. You don't get that benefit from writing it in a notepad. ;)

but the numbers on the stickers are lofts, not head weights.....

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

swapped to modus 130X.... best kept secret in iron shafts ..

Does it cycle like rebar though? So far sik is one of the only brands that can make me a putter with no sight line!!! I gotta' get one..albeit flow neck and not so weird...errr...sciency?!

edit: Love my Ltd...got the thing for a song new VERY solid for those few left in the dark.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Love the bag for sure! If Ping ever made a single length set I'd get on board and try them out. Maybe not a full set, but if you could get me the 5-9 all the same length, then maybe step down the wedges... I've heard that the single biggest complaint about the SLI, the wedges are super awkward to try to hit a soft chip with a 7i length club.

I'm a big BAD supporter, I think the game needs more guys like him. If he'd only go back to his side saddle I'd stop getting so much crap for it...

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

This kid needs to understand his weird equipment isn't gonna benefit him in the long run. I think he's got a ton of potential but until he conforms to what works instead of what in theory could work he will never reach it.

NCAA, US Am, PGA Tour win, etc. I'd say he's doing alright.

The most important thing is that Bryson believes in what he's doing. If he tried to conform to whatever the norm is, he'd be done. His swing, his equipment...it all matches up with who he is as an individual. And he's been pretty damn successful with it.

He also has companies who have spent tens of thousands of dollars figuring out his equipment. The average golfer who refuses to practice or get a lesson and actually develop some skills doesn't have that luxury.

LOL I like you ..you are sooo optimistic and have such a liberal attitude about everyone else having the right to have different opinions from you.

Keep up the good work !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

This kid needs to understand his weird equipment isn't gonna benefit him in the long run. I think he's got a ton of potential but until he conforms to what works instead of what in theory could work he will never reach it.

NCAA, US Am, PGA Tour win, etc. I'd say he's doing alright.

The most important thing is that Bryson believes in what he's doing. If he tried to conform to whatever the norm is, he'd be done. His swing, his equipment...it all matches up with who he is as an individual. And he's been pretty damn successful with it.

He also has companies who have spent tens of thousands of dollars figuring out his equipment. The average golfer who refuses to practice or get a lesson and actually develop some skills doesn't have that luxury.

LOL I like you ..you are sooo optimistic and have such a liberal attitude about everyone else having the right to have different opinions from you.

Keep up the good work !

Plus the funny thing, the person described (refuses to practice or get lessons) are the exact type of person who would benefit the most from the SLI that BAD has brought to the mainstream (at least a major manufacturer making/selling SLI). I'm sure the money Cobra has invested in building/designing his clubs has paid for itself several times over already. Ever heard of R&D??

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Keep it weird Bryson. Thats an interesting concept on the putter grip kind of makes sense when you think about it.

#keepbrysonweird

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That equipment isn't weird. The one length irons have a large number of users and more are changing as word of mouth gives them good reviews.

You should try them for a season and then critique them.

Not to spoil your fun but you may want to look up the definition of "weird", "large" and possibly "good".

They do not have a large number of users, they are "weird" and "good" reviews are only from the SMALL number of people who have convinced themselves they work. They would have gotten much more benefit if they had spent their money of a proper fitting and maybe a course management class.

So are you still playing a 150cc wooden driver head? A steel shaft in your driver and fairway woods? An 8802 or bullseye putter? How about a wound ball? A sand wedge without a large flange and bounce? All of these were deemed weird and had 'mixed' reviews upon release. Thankfully people choose not to conform and to look past what everyone else is doing.

We don't live in a world of standardization, we live in a world of customization! Golf is no different

So you actually think SL sets are a new idea?

Cool. Go find a company willing to properly build you a set like Edel did for Bryson. Even more so than regular sets, the single length sets require a lot of expensive ( very time consuming) work.

That's a set only a mother could love...

Thank you, this comment made me laugh (I kind of agree with you as well).

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That equipment isn't weird. The one length irons have a large number of users and more are changing as word of mouth gives them good reviews.

You should try them for a season and then critique them.

Not to spoil your fun but you may want to look up the definition of "weird", "large" and possibly "good".

They do not have a large number of users, they are "weird" and "good" reviews are only from the SMALL number of people who have convinced themselves they work. They would have gotten much more benefit if they had spent their money of a proper fitting and maybe a course management class.

So are you still playing a 150cc wooden driver head? A steel shaft in your driver and fairway woods? An 8802 or bullseye putter? How about a wound ball? A sand wedge without a large flange and bounce? All of these were deemed weird and had 'mixed' reviews upon release. Thankfully people choose not to conform and to look past what everyone else is doing.

We don't live in a world of standardization, we live in a world of customization! Golf is no different

So you actually think SL sets are a new idea?

Cool. Go find a company willing to properly build you a set like Edel did for Bryson. Even more so than regular sets, the single length sets require a lot of expensive ( very time consuming) work.

Played a set of Cobra SL for over 6 months with great results. Cost $400. Then wanting to try something ‘weird’ built up a 2nd set of Cobra SL heads with 1/8” increment between irons. Currently averaging 13.8 greens in regulation with this set(21 rounds). Cost $600.

Total BS that it’s expensive or ‘very time consuming’. Fitting is actually greatly simplified if you know what you’re doing.

And no where did I say it was a new idea. Bobby Jones played something very close to SL. Hence the idea for my 1/8” build.

Try a set of SL clubs for 10 rounds and maybe you’ll be singing a different tune

He won the Am and the NCAA in the same year along with having a tour win already but you're saying its all still theory?

+1, the guy wins on tour and that is still not good enough. Folks gotta get their digs in with the back handed compliments.

Looks like SIK copied the brick with some offset

It looks similar to the brick because Bryson had design input on it, as he did with our BAD1 prototype. What we did was, in our CAD, pulled the topline from the Pro model in an effort to keep the sight line and the line on the ball on a closer level, as well as to remove what Bryson saw as a "paralax effect." Unlike the brick we have an internal weighting system behind cavity, and our DLT, but that's on every putter we make.

It looks similar to the brick because Bryson had design input on it, as he did with our BAD1 prototype. What we did was, in our CAD, pulled the topline from the Pro model in an effort to keep the sight line and the line on the ball on a closer level, as well as to remove what Bryson saw as a "paralax effect." Unlike the brick we have an internal weighting system behind cavity, and our DLT, but that's on every putter we make.

Forgive the ignorance, but what is a paralax effect?

You guys should get into the business of side saddle putters too, just sayin... Always looking for options.

Forgive the ignorance, but what is a paralax effect? You guys should get into the business of side saddle putters too, just sayin... Always looking for options.

essentially paralax is distortion in a picture. it causes things to appear closer or further away then they actually are. (think rear view mirror). it happens in putting because you are standing perpendicular to the line and looking sideways at the hole. One eye is closer to the hole than the other so your brain compensates to make it so you can see it clearly. Your eyes will match up and your brain will subconsciously split the difference to bring the picture into focus. It can be the difference of a few inches to a few feet causing you to misread putts.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

This "kid" knows more about golf equipment than you are able to comprehend. Saying that he needs to conform is like saying Jim Furyk or Lee Trevino need to change their swings to conform, it's lunacy. Being Critical od someone whos has accomplished sooo much more in the game than you have makes you look like a dolt.

This "kid" knows more about golf equipment than you are able to comprehend. Saying that he needs to conform is like saying Jim Furyk or Lee Trevino need to change their swings to conform, it's lunacy. Being Critical od someone whos has accomplished sooo much more in the game than you have makes you look like a dolt.

i think that it is a bit condescending to say that he know more about golf equipment. you dont know to what extent people are knowledgeable on a subject. Bryson is not a designer, he does not build clubs. he plays with them and likes to have them a certain way. He was a physics major in school but he didn't finish. The rest of what you said i completely agree with, conformity for conformity's sake is dumb. He and everyone should play the way that they feel will make them the most successful.

the only thing i would say is that history has shown that over thinking and constantly changing things leads to disaster.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

LOL I agree with everything but believe the stickers are reminders for the Van guys. I do not like Bryson and his personality. He walks in the way of other players. He will go to his ball on the green assuming he can line up before his opponent even marks their ball. He pushes guys out of the way walking around his putts and taking his sweet time with inbetween shots. He just comes off as if he knows more than all of us... which he does but don't act like a dink about it.

But I dig the ability to change and think differently, outside the box. I can only imagine when he walks into the Tour Van the guys quiver and shake from frustration knowing their entire day is going to be spent with Bryson and his super anal demands. Instead of requests. like the video a while back of the Tour Van guy having to grind a half dozen wedge heads to meet "Brysons demands". Dink!

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

LOL I agree with everything but believe the stickers are reminders for the Van guys. I do not like Bryson and his personality. He walks in the way of other players. He will go to his ball on the green assuming he can line up before his opponent even marks their ball. He pushes guys out of the way walking around his putts and taking his sweet time with inbetween shots. He just comes off as if he knows more than all of us... which he does but don't act like a dink about it.

But I dig the ability to change and think differently, outside the box. I can only imagine when he walks into the Tour Van the guys quiver and shake from frustration knowing their entire day is going to be spent with Bryson and his super anal demands. Instead of requests. like the video a while back of the Tour Van guy having to grind a half dozen wedge heads to meet "Brysons demands". Dink!

again, i will ask what proof is there, other than hyperbole that he "knows more than anyone else"?? haha for some reason this really bugs me when i hear stuff like this.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

again, i will ask what proof is there, other than hyperbole that he "knows more than anyone else"?? haha for some reason this really bugs me when i hear stuff like this.

It's a given that those who don't actually finish their physics degrees are far smarter than those who do. I have a friend who stopped his physics coursework with a year to go to become a master printmaker, and I know that he's forgotten more about physics than his former professors will ever know.

LOL

Bryson seems like an interesting guy, a little arrogant and entitled perhaps, but you are right, Quigley- there is zero proof that he 'knows more than all of us'. Stickers with exact specs and nonsense formulas in his yardage book do not a genius make.

Couldn’t agree more with the above comment.

I went the SL route as well, had somewhat ok results, but the 4-6 irons created havoc for me with gaps. Same old song and dance.

What I would like to do with the new Forged Tec one length is have a VL set but not all different.

4-5i 37.5”

6-7i 37”

8-PW use the normal forged Tec heads and lengths

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver