Masters tips?

wmblake2000

Ugh I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. It still hurts too much.

I won Wednesday practice round tickets last year and spent a total of 40 min on the course due to the rain out.

My tip for you, is pray it doesn't rain.

I can confirm that they quickly close the merchandise tents. My souvenir from the Masters is 1) A plastic cup that my beer came in and 2) a rock from the parking lot (I wasn't leaving empty handed).

Were you SOL? Was there any attempt to add a day to your ticket or a ticket for the next year?

I will answer that for him as I was there last year on Wednesday. SOL!! Really sucked. I too only came home with a plastic beer cup. Never saw the entire course. Saw none of the par three tournament. At least the tickets are cheap as well as the food and drink. Pray for no lightning!!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went, I brought a zolex driver shaft and stuffed it with pimento cheese sandwiches. Managed to sneak on the range next to Sergio -he didn't recognize me but I flared my lats so he would know I was the real deal.

I proceeded to have one of the club reps put an M1 head on the pimento cheese/zolex shaft and was hitting low spin bombs. Security approached me so I pointed and yelled "is that Tiger Woods?!?!" I was pointing at Tim Rosaforte, but they still bought it and I ran off.

Unfortunately I had to drop my club, but Sergio won and I think he was using it.

When I went, I brought a zolex driver shaft and stuffed it with pimento cheese sandwiches. Managed to sneak on the range next to Sergio -he didn't recognize me but I flared my lats so he would know I was the real deal.

I proceeded to have one of the club reps put an M1 head on the pimento cheese/zolex shaft and was hitting low spin bombs. Security approached me so I pointed and yelled "is that Tiger Woods?!?!" I was pointing at Tim Rosaforte, but they still bought it and I ran off.

Unfortunately I had to drop my club, but Sergio won and I think he was using it.

I knew something was up with that win!!!!!! When I go this year I am buying a crate of pimento cheese sandwiches and a Zolex shaft. My home Club Championship is MINE!!!! AH hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa

Cheese shoved straight in or a hot melt............asking for a friend

I won Wednesday practice round tickets last year and spent a total of 40 min on the course due to the rain out.

I can confirm that they quickly close the merchandise tents. My souvenir from the Masters is 1) A plastic cup that my beer came in and 2) a rock from the parking lot (I wasn't leaving empty handed).

Were you SOL? Was there any attempt to add a day to your ticket or a ticket for the next year?

Just SOL.

I emailed them about 2 weeks after the tournament (to let things calm down for them). I asked if I could get 4 more practice round tickets for the following year. I said I'd be willing to pay the normal price, so I wasn't even asking to get them for free. I even specified that the day didn't have to be Wednesday, like I got from the lottery (obviously I would want Wednesday). I never heard back from them.

Cheese shoved straight in or a hot melt............asking for a friend

Do you even golf, bro? The zolex/cheese combo has been obsolete since twistface came on the market. A cheese/twistface combo is in the works next I hope.

Just SOL.

I emailed them about 2 weeks after the tournament (to let things calm down for them). I asked if I could get 4 more practice round tickets for the following year. I said I'd be willing to pay the normal price, so I wasn't even asking to get them for free. I even specified that the day didn't have to be Wednesday, like I got from the lottery (obviously I would want Wednesday). I never heard back from them.

Thanks, going Tuesday practice rounds and paid good money for the tickets. Better work on my no rain dance.

I’ve been about 30 times and I’d tell you 2 things. The practice rounds are better than the tournament. You can get up close to the ropes and see whatever you want. Can’t really do that too easily during the tournament. Second, wear your golf shoes. If it rains at all the rye grass gets slick and the hills can be tricky. Enjoy!

Just SOL.

Thanks, going Tuesday practice rounds and paid good money for the tickets. Better work on my no rain dance.

Work on your no cold dance as well. I went in 2009, it was bitterly cold on the practice day, anyone with a dodgy back (half the field including Tiger) didn't actually get out on the course.

The bonus for us was we had an unobstructed view of Bobby Allenby going through his paces :rolleyes:

Do they allow you to bring in your own portable/folding chairs or do they make you buy their chairs?

I think you can bring your own chairs. But they must be a certain size and have no arms. Look on the Masters website and I think they have info regarding chairs.

But they do make great souvenirs.

Im going Monday as well.....Still trying to figure out where to stay. Any recommendations on that? I realize its going to cost an arm and a leg but who cares! Currently booked a the luxurious Howard Johnson for the low low price of $400/night........VERY open to other suggestions.

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

Im going Monday as well.....Still trying to figure out where to stay. Any recommendations on that? I realize its going to cost an arm and a leg but who cares! Currently booked a the luxurious Howard Johnson for the low low price of $400/night........VERY open to other suggestions.

I don't know about the Howard Johnson, but when I booked my hotel they told me it was non-refundable and also that this was standard for most of the hotels in the Augusta area for Masters week. So before you try to switch hotels, you may want to check and see if you're already locked in.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I've only been on tournament days so this might not be as important on a practice round but here's how I always navigated the course. Also it is possible the tournament has changed things that would prevent some of these cut throughs, last time I was there was about 10 years ago. Last, I recommend walking the holes in order as that's how they will be most familiar to you, not to say you can't go in reverse order but IMO when you see these holes in person for the first time, you want to see them looking from the tee toward the green, not the other way around.

• Starting on 1, walk up the right side of the hole, this will allow you to transition to 2 without getting stuck having to use a cross walk.
  • Walk down the right side of 2. From the top of the hill right by the fairway bunker you can see all of 2 and the tee shot on 3 (can also see 7 green and 8 tee from here as well)
  • Cut through the woods to the right side of the 3rd green, from here you can also see tee shots on 4.
  • Have to walk down the left side of 4, right isn't open to patrons
  • You will start on the left side of 5 (no choice) and then cut across to right side (again, no choice) to make it up to the green.
  • 6 Tee is elevated so a great view of the entire hole from the tee.
  • Biggest party spot on the course is between 6 green and 16 green. There is a big concession tent there and some of the best scenery on the course for sure (think co-eds in sundresses :drinks: )
  • Once you've had a couple of $2 beers and a sandwich or three, head up the left side on 7 so you can turn easily to #8. 7 is hard to follow players on because the green is elevated and there is a bottleneck at 7 green/8 tee but again, might not be a big deal in a practice round.
  • You want to walk up the right side of 8, between 8 and 9. You won't get as close to the green but you can still see putts on 8 and then its easy to cut across to landing area of tee shots at the bottom of the hill on 9.
  • Up to you if you want to go up and watch tee shots on 10 but we always just headed straight to the 10th green (which is just behind 18 tee) as its another bottleneck area up by 10 tee.
  • The walk up the right side of 11 is maybe my favorite on the course. IMO you want your first views of Amen corner to come as you walk down 11, not walking 13 backwards. Take your time, this is as good as it gets, looking down the hill to 11 green with 12 right behind it, all framed by Ray's Creek. I get chills just thinking about it.
  • Find a good spot and just soak up the scene at 11 green / 12th hole / 13 tee. Nothing like it on earth. I know people who go every year and just sit there in one spot all 4 days, its that special.
  • Once you've had your fill, walk up the right side of 13 (no choice) and then cut across to left side of 14.
  • From 14 you can turn to 15, cut across to right side of 15 for the best views coming up the hole. At the top of the hill, again soak it in, view of 15 with 16 in the background is "pinch yourself" stuff. Try to picture Nicklaus hitting his 1 iron there in 1986 and tell me you don't get goosebumps.
  • 16 is gorgeous but is a real bottleneck. I usually tried to get positioned in the space between 15 green and 16 but I think there are a bunch more bleachers there now so might not be possible.
  • Watch 17 from the left side, will allow you an easier transition to 18.
  • Definitely be sure to watch a few shots from the tee at 18, hard to believe just how narrow the shoot is off the tee. Left side of 18 will likely be more crowded so I always chose the right side to come up.

Hope this helps. As I wrote this, I relived tons of great memories of walking around Augusta over the years, sincerely hope yours are just as special.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

I don't know about the Howard Johnson, but when I booked my hotel they told me it was non-refundable and also that this was standard for most of the hotels in the Augusta area for Masters week. So before you try to switch hotels, you may want to check and see if you're already locked in.

I am able to cancel if needed

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

I am able to cancel if needed

Nice! I just checked my reservation confirmation email and at the bottom is says "Cancellation Deadline: This reservation cannot be cancelled, changed or refunded." But we're close, and I don't have any reason to cancel. An thankfully my credit card I use has great benefits, and one of them is trip cancellation insurance.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

a good round of golf during masters week and in a good price point is savannah lakes - monticello golf, about 30-45 minutes north of augusta. I highly recommend it.

If you got the $$$, palmetto is a MUST.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

<sarcasm> make sure you wear your golf shoes and glove, just in case you get called inside the ropes.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

<sarcasm> make sure you wear your golf shoes and glove, just in case you get called inside the ropes.

obviously the glove part is a joke but I do think golf shoes aren't a bad idea. Augusta is very hilly and even if it doesn't outright rain, it can still be pretty slick early in the day due to dew on the course. They obviously need to be comfortable but I have definitely seen people who didn't wear the right shoes and suffered for it.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

obviously the glove part is a joke but I do think golf shoes aren't a bad idea. Augusta is very hilly and even if it doesn't outright rain, it can still be pretty slick early in the day due to dew on the course. They obviously need to be comfortable but I have definitely seen people who didn't wear the right shoes and suffered for it.

I couldn't agree more, went to Monday round in 2016 and were through the gates right when they open. Saw a number of people slip and some fall, going down the big slopes (Along #1, #10, the open area between between #9/#18, etc.).

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I saw the post re Masters chairs and started to post there but didn’t want to derail op’s question.

I’m going Monday practice round. Yahoo! I am totally excited - wife and I had planned a trip this spring but she was gracious and postponed it so I could go.

My primary goal is to see the course and get a good feel for it. Second is just a few things from the store. Ball markers are my thing. I’ll use it and recall. I *hope* it won’t be too crowded.

My plan is to walk it from 1 to 18. Watch a couple of groups play each hole. Eat a green wrapped pimento & cheese sandwich. Take lots of pics. Really get a feel for how they play the course and the course itself.

For me, I had some options. My niece lives in Augusta and she knows some people. (But she and husband laughed at idea of getting me on the course. Not doable. Rats.)

I chose practice round. The tournament looks to be packed with people and I have never found being there to be a good way to watch a tournament.

Anything else that people have found really great? I don’t plan on sitting at any one hole too long - but if you were going to linger somewhere, where would you stop?

I'm flying there with my boys. Going to subscribe to this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, friends.

I just read through all of the posts and I am even more pumped than I already was! My buddy and I are going to the Monday practice round, but we're making a pit-stop in Pinehurst during Easter weekend to play 54 holes first. We've tried the lottery system for like 10 years now and have struck out until this year. I'll definitely be wearing my golf shoes as well as will be bringing a wheel barrow full of cash to buy all of the merchandise and pimento cheese sandwiches possible. First order of business will be hitting up the merchandise to get what we need, plus a couple of chairs. We're gonna go set up the chairs near Amen corner or 16, take our stuff back to our car, then head back in.

On Sunday night and Monday night, we are staying in Columbia, SC. We booked at $170 a night at Aloft Columbia Downtown. Everywhere is expensive. Should be a perfect spot to get out and watch the NCAA championship game that Monday night since we're right by USC.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help calming a nervous wife/mom... We will be going for the first time (finally won) on Friday of this year. Obviously, no cell phones are allowed in during tournament rounds, but she is worried about staying in touch with in-laws. We have a very young child that they will be keeping and she is worried about being able to check in... Before she convinces me to go buy a new Apple Watch (we have the older ones) for $500 plus the increase in phone bill for 1 day worth of need, what are our other options?

Thanks in advance!

Need some help calming a nervous wife/mom... We will be going for the first time (finally won) on Friday of this year. Obviously, no cell phones are allowed in during tournament rounds, but she is worried about staying in touch with in-laws. We have a very young child that they will be keeping and she is worried about being able to check in... Before she convinces me to go buy a new Apple Watch (we have the older ones) for $500 plus the increase in phone bill for 1 day worth of need, what are our other options?

Thanks in advance!

Just let her buy a Masters chair and she can sit by the phones they provide and miss all the fun worrying about nothing.

First child? Been there.