Cut the Cord.

Yenamos

Another vote for PS Vue. Been using for a year and never looked back. $44.99 a month. Has DVR built in, and the ability to watch 2 TV's at once, along with 3 mobile devices. Has a ton of channels and a on demand too. No Ad's either. I watch golf channel on my phone at work. And if its Major's time, I can watch on TNT, ESPN, CBS, NBC too with no issues. I tried all the others and they just weren't as robust as this. Also the interface on Apple TV is great.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Hulu Live Tv ($39/month) which gives you Golf Channel and ESPN, plus your local FOX/CBS/NBC affiliates so I'm able to watch just about every level of the tour that is on TV. I also use my friend's PGA Tour Live account at times, although I'm not sure how expensive that is per year.

Another poster mentioned streaming the events on Reddit, but I've had some trouble in the past finding a consistent stream that doesn't buffer every 15 seconds.

Another poster mentioned streaming the events on Reddit, but I've had some trouble in the past finding a consistent stream that doesn't buffer every 15 seconds.

yeah the reddit streams are not 100% reliable but so far many have worked for me. able to stream PPV boxing/MMA and a lot of football during the season to keep track of my fantasy players. i wouldn't call over friends and stream but it's good for personal use.

i tried the Kodi route with some builds but they're all unreliable and take forever.

we have cable at home, Grande Communications (Texas based) w/ TiVo and it's not that bad. pay roughly $140ish. our internet is stupid fast. just hate all the stupid taxes and fees that add up. maybe one day since cable cutting is getting more popular.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I continue to try to leave cable, but so far have found streaming cumbersome at best. Here's what I've learned or perhaps not learned. My Cox Cable bill went up again and I was ready to leave. Of course they lowered the price for one year (promo) to keep my business so we stayed. We have every channel me need, and great internet speed.

If I left Cox I would not be able to record (not Apple) and only one TV could be streamed unless I bought additional equipment. I purchased a Roku Ultra streaming wireless and tried Hulu. It worked great ($40 month), but I bailed out before the free trail was over.

I now experiment with free Roku and the picture is great. One thing I like about Hulu is I could get it on all my wireless devices without a streaming device. I do not have smart or wireless TV's but high quality 1080 Sony's. Therefore since not wireless, my TV's need a streaming device or attach an HDMI or Cat cable to the TV's. from my laptop.

For all I receive from Cox with Contour, I pay ($175 with internet and cable TV, no movie channels, DVR and two additional HD Contour mini boxes, and I get live streaming on any wireless device by logging on with Cox Contour, plus I have a sports upgrade package). It's hard to beat.

I continue to weigh all the options, but I cannot see how paying $70 month for internet, plus $40 month for a one streaming service, and an additional charge if you want MLB baseball, plus one time $100 expense for Roku Ultra and $40 for Roku sticks for two other TV's, equals the product I receive from Cox Cable.

I want to leave cable TV as well, but still cannot figure out the benefit. For $175 a month I get everything I need, plus more. If I leave cable I still have an initial investment, plus must pay a minimum of $110, plus an additional fee for MLB (total about $150). Leaving cable has self satisfaction results but comes with loss of other services you may desire. Bottom line, $175 verses $150 with a loss of services. I save $25 a month for less.

I just can't get the numbers to add up and helpful comments on "how to leave" would be appreciated.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I continue to try to leave cable, but so far have found streaming cumbersome at best. Here's what I've learned or perhaps not learned. My Cox Cable bill went up again and I was ready to leave. Of course they lowered the price for one year (promo) to keep my business so we stayed. We have every channel me need, and great internet speed.

If I left Cox I would not be able to record (not Apple) and only one TV could be streamed unless I bought additional equipment. I purchased a Roku Ultra streaming wireless and tried Hulu. It worked great ($40 month), but I bailed out before the free trail was over.

I now experiment with free Roku and the picture is great. One thing I like about Hulu is I could get it on all my wireless devices without a streaming device. I do not have smart or wireless TV's but high quality 1080 Sony's. Therefore since not wireless, my TV's need a streaming device or attach an HDMI or Cat cable to the TV's. from my laptop.

For all I receive from Cox with Contour, I pay ($175 with internet and cable TV, no movie channels, DVR and two additional HD Contour mini boxes, and I get live streaming on any wireless device by logging on with Cox Contour, plus I have a sports upgrade package). It's hard to beat.

I continue to weigh all the options, but I cannot see how paying $70 month for internet, plus $40 month for a one streaming service, and an additional charge if you want MLB baseball, plus one time $100 expense for Roku Ultra and $40 for Roku sticks for two other TV's, equals the product I receive from Cox Cable.

I want to leave cable TV as well, but still cannot figure out the benefit. For $175 a month I get everything I need, plus more. If I leave cable I still have an initial investment, plus must pay a minimum of $110, plus an additional fee for MLB (total about $150). Leaving cable has self satisfaction results but comes with loss of other services you may desire. Bottom line, $175 verses $150 with a loss of services. I save $25 a month for less.

I just can't get the numbers to add up and helpful comments on "how to leave" would be appreciated.

This is a good post. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work as well. I'm experimenting with Youtube TV right now and it's great, I was even able to get rid of 2 of the 3 cable boxes we have. But if I cut the cord completely I'll lost access to Starz, HBO, and the other premium channels included in my cable package. I don't think it makes sense to pay for a service like Youtube TV monthly, and then a monthly cost for a la cart services. It adds up quick.

Very much what my accounting shows as welll. The only way to see what I see now is to pay for satellite. On either end of this spectrum you get what you pay for.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Very much what my accounting shows as welll. The only way to see what I see now is to pay for satellite. On either end of this spectrum you get what you pay for.

I have to imagine that more and more people are going to start to figure this out when they see that they can get the bundle price for TV and internet. Only way I made it work was getting a group of my friends together years ago and all going in on the various sports packages that came as apps (MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL, Golf, etc.) so we can split the cost of that on top of what we all pay for our various TV services. I was able to go down a package or 2 (I don't remember) because I no longer needed to get all of the channels just to be able to watch those sports and saved some. Can't figure out how to eliminate cable completely, unless I move to a building that internet is part of the HOA fees or something along those lines.

Agree with others this is a good post. I am very happy with fast internet, all the channels I need in HD, and the ability to stream the few channels I care about. Being out of market has been super for NHL. I have not missed a Bruins game since mid Nov. my wife is happy no longer having issues with Netflix(all she watches) and Pandora. Other than sports channels I watch Fox News, REELZ(my mobsters fix), HLN and Odyssey(love Snapped). At 175 I can’t beat it.

I definitely would give this a try / trial run.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

It has built in DVR and on Demand. Also can stream up to 5 devices at the same time - https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/supported-devices-and-set-up/#simultaneous-streaming

I know you mentioned the cost of the device (amazon fire stick HD / Apple TV). It is only a one time fee but well worth it. Just an example, Apple TV has other apps you can download and stream in addition to Playstation vue (netflix, hulu, youtube, etc). I also use Apple to interface with my media server so I can stream downloaded content. The device will pay for itself down the line after initial purchase.

As for pricing, the PS Vue package at $44.99 a month is at that price. No tax nor increase or hidden fees. My internet is $64.99, so in the end, its $100. I was paying $240 (two boxes, DVR anyroom, all movie channels), but after getting unemployed last year, had to start saving.

Lastly, interface, which is the biggest pet peeve for most. I know everyone just wants to come home, turn the TV on and watch TV. The apple TV remote is very simple and easy to use. Just swipe and click. I even got rid of my universal remote since it controls volume too. The "Guide" for PS vue is very similar to most Cable TV Guides. You can easily scroll and choose what channel you want to watch. You can also save the channels as favorites for easy access.

I'd give it a try (5 day free trial) and see how it is. Definitely use it on a proper device. I initially was using it on a PC connected to my TV but the interface became cumbersome after a while.

Good luck and I think Streaming content / Cable Box cutting is the wave of the future. Cable boxes will be obsolete in the next few years. Save that extra $ for golf and golf related items. hahaha.

Correct me if I'm wrong about PVue, but I don't think you can watch it anywhere except your home? Someone mentioned watching it on phone, so maybe that's allowed, but otherwise can not watch it on a computer or tv except at your home? If you can log in and watch it on a computer anywhere may consider it again, but I swear I saw that it only allows you to watch from the IP address where you signed up.

Looked at Hulu live, and looked like it might be the best one for me, but said local channels were not available in my area so had to pass.

Also looked at DirectTVNow, but you need to get one of the expensive packages to get golf channel. So they're trying to break into the streaming arena to curb their losses, but still think anyone wanting golf channel will pay a huge premium. I'll pass.

Kodi looks interesting, but pretty sure my technical abilities would leave me frustrated.

So......currently in the free trial period for YoutubeTV. Not the most robust channel offering, but so far haven't had a problem with the local channels, espn's, and golf. Even found a good movie on Disney for the kids. I think you can log in anywhere on the computer, but haven't tried that yet. Bad news is there isn't a channel on roku or smart TV's yet, but assume they're working on that. We just connect a laptop to TV. For $35 the price is right.

Checked again on all the cable and satellite offerings in the area, and the cheapest price available for a package that includes the golf channel is over $100. I choose not to pay that for golf channel and ESPN.

FYI, have a nice antenna, but am only able to pick up two local channels with it.

Switch cable providers every year if you have more than one in your area. If you can, often they will try to keep you on by extending your super package deal for another year if you threaten to leave. If you do leave, you get the super signup bonus with the new company. I'm at $120/mo for 300Mbps internet and a meh TV package. You can sign-in to nearly any channel and watch from your desk or phone.

YYMV - a lot. And if you have a major nat'l provider, they will probably not be as good as a regional or local company, so a lot of people do the "cord-fraying" thing where they pair down their cable package to the bare bones and add on something like YouTube TV or similar.

I work in the media biz, and there is a lot of talk and work to fix this issue. No one, and I mean no one, has figured it out. By 2025 things will have changed.

Correct me if I'm wrong about PVue, but I don't think you can watch it anywhere except your home? Someone mentioned watching it on phone, so maybe that's allowed, but otherwise can not watch it on a computer or tv except at your home? If you can log in and watch it on a computer anywhere may consider it again, but I swear I saw that it only allows you to watch from the IP address where you signed up.

Looked at Hulu live, and looked like it might be the best one for me, but said local channels were not available in my area so had to pass.

Also looked at DirectTVNow, but you need to get one of the expensive packages to get golf channel. So they're trying to break into the streaming arena to curb their losses, but still think anyone wanting golf channel will pay a huge premium. I'll pass.

Kodi looks interesting, but pretty sure my technical abilities would leave me frustrated.

So......currently in the free trial period for YoutubeTV. Not the most robust channel offering, but so far haven't had a problem with the local channels, espn's, and golf. Even found a good movie on Disney for the kids. I think you can log in anywhere on the computer, but haven't tried that yet. Bad news is there isn't a channel on roku or smart TV's yet, but assume they're working on that. We just connect a laptop to TV. For $35 the price is right.

Checked again on all the cable and satellite offerings in the area, and the cheapest price available for a package that includes the golf channel is over $100. I choose not to pay that for golf channel and ESPN.

FYI, have a nice antenna, but am only able to pick up two local channels with it.

I'm watching it at work with my phone. If you want to watch with a laptop / mobile device, it needs to sync / authorize at home network/wifi first before leaving home. It's great. For Youtube TV, the issue I ran into is Ad's when using their on demand. With PSVue, no ads at all.

This has some info about using mobile. https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/supported-devices-and-set-up/#mobile-restricted

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/supported-devices-and-set-up/#simultaneous-streaming

Info about NFL games on mobile too.

The options we now have are amazing. That will put pressure on the cable companies to be more competitive. I love the fact I can watch much of my channels on an ipad or my phone. (Unless I’m at the Masters) Things will only get better.

My understanding is that the networks are equally responsible for the crazy cost hikes. Heck, Spectrum does a great job where I am. Their service guys are excellent. I had a guy spend an hour and a half this past December rewiring outside my house in 10* weather. When he was done my system worked absolutely perfectly.

I just cannot justify the cost. Have to pay greens fees.

Correct me if I'm wrong about PVue, but I don't think you can watch it anywhere except your home? Someone mentioned watching it on phone, so maybe that's allowed, but otherwise can not watch it on a computer or tv except at your home? If you can log in and watch it on a computer anywhere may consider it again.

So......currently in the free trial period for YoutubeTV. Not the most robust channel offering, but so far haven't had a problem with the local channels, espn's, and golf. Even found a good movie on Disney for the kids. I think you can log in anywhere on the computer, but haven't tried that yet. Bad news is there isn't a channel on roku or smart TV's yet....

Sign in using your phone or tablet first at home. Then you should be able to access it away from home.

I’m watching YouTube tv right now through roku. You have to sign in through the website to get a password. Then it pops up.

Anyone concerned that if too many people move to online service that the internet providers will jack the rates or start charging per gig?

Yes.

This is one reason why I don't plan to leave cable. My arrangement is complex and every time I look at other options, I decide to just stay with Spectrum cable. Their service has been impeccable over the past two or three years.

I have a six tuner TiVo DVR and six TiVo minis connected to seven TVs with enough storage that I never fill it up. That plus every channel I want (mostly what my wife wants) and 120 Mbps internet speed which in my area cannot be matched by any of my other choices. So, I'm happy with Spectrum even though it's a little pricey for everything.

This is true. And in my area, there are no other high speed internet providers so I have to use cable or suffer with extremely slow Direct TV which would not be acceptable .

The options we now have are amazing. That will put pressure on the cable companies to be more competitive. I love the fact I can watch much of my channels on an ipad or my phone. (Unless I’m at the Masters) Things will only get better.

My understanding is that the networks are equally responsible for the crazy cost hikes. Heck, Spectrum does a great job where I am. Their service guys are excellent. I had a guy spend an hour and a half this past December rewiring outside my house in 10* weather. When he was done my system worked absolutely perfectly.

I just cannot justify the cost. Have to pay greens fees.

I have a bit of a problem. 45 miles north of Houston, our subdivision has 1-5 acre lots. At this time the theory is that its not financially feasible to offer services. So we have Consolidated, which is the pits, and xfinity/comcast. Xfinity is the only 100 mbps Internet option at this time. So without at least their internet, streaming wouldn’t be an option. Internet only is offerred at speeds of 50 mbps or less. I wanted the most speed possible.

By next year things could be different as they are cutting down anything growing like crazy around here.

You are probably right about the networks. I just know they have made deals with the cable providers to offer that “channels everywhere” deal.

I have two tvs in my bedroom and the wife has her big one in the living room. I watch cable on one and the other is my streaming tv which is only plugged in while streaming. I have tried casting from my iphone but the apple av adapter slows things down too much for live sports viewing. All I need(lol. well want) is a way to stream every horse track directly from roku. I dont bet online, just like watching the races. NYRA Now is nice but only NY tracks. TVG is not available in Texas. Twinspires I can watch directly on phone but not dependable for casting with adaptor.

Anyone concerned that if too many people move to online service that the internet providers will jack the rates or start charging per gig?

Xfinity already charges by the terabyte. Its much more than you would need, but only for now. Soon it will become a factor. Already some are getting speeds of a gig per second. As this 4k resolution kicks in I can see a terabyte being used up pretty quickly. I hope internet doesnt become a management issue like cellphone data. That really worries me.

Using Roku device. I got Sling TV Blue for $25, added sports package with GC for $10. 55ish channels for $35 a month. Outside antenna gives another 67 channels. Being members of Amazon prime you get prime TV free which equals thousands of movies & shows. Internet is $60. Now my bill is $100 a month vs $180 with Spectrum.