Cut the Cord.

Yenamos

Hulu Live

So far during my tests I like Hulu the best. Pretty easy to use, but I can't find DVR using Roku. I do not have Apple products.

Being able to record and FF through commercials is nice. I've heard that you can stream without commercials but I haven't found the service (channel).

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using Roku device. I got Sling TV Blue for $25, added sports package with GC for $10. 55ish channels for $35 a month. Outside antenna gives another 67 channels. Being members of Amazon prime you get prime TV free which equals thousands of movies & shows. Internet is $60. Now my bill is $100 a month vs $180 with Spectrum.

This is interesting. The outside antenna you mentioned, is it an HD antenna or VHF/UHF? Here in NW Florida I don't believe I can receive broadcast signals.

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Using Roku device. I got Sling TV Blue for $25, added sports package with GC for $10. 55ish channels for $35 a month. Outside antenna gives another 67 channels. Being members of Amazon prime you get prime TV free which equals thousands of movies & shows. Internet is $60. Now my bill is $100 a month vs $180 with Spectrum.

Sling blue is $40 month, so to add sports it would be $50. Looked into this extensively. Am I missing something?

Anyone concerned that if too many people move to online service that the internet providers will jack the rates or start charging per gig?

Xfinity already charges by the terabyte. Its much more than you would need, but only for now. Soon it will become a factor. Already some are getting speeds of a gig per second. As this 4k resolution kicks in I can see a terabyte being used up pretty quickly. I hope internet doesnt become a management issue like cellphone data. That really worries me.

Agreed. That's what is holding me back from trying YouTube Live. I currently have a lifetime $30 off a month from DirecTV and don't want to lose it if Internet providers start playing the cell phone company game with data

Correct me if I'm wrong about PVue, but I don't think you can watch it anywhere except your home? Someone mentioned watching it on phone, so maybe that's allowed, but otherwise can not watch it on a computer or tv except at your home? If you can log in and watch it on a computer anywhere may consider it again.

So......currently in the free trial period for YoutubeTV. Not the most robust channel offering, but so far haven't had a problem with the local channels, espn's, and golf. Even found a good movie on Disney for the kids. I think you can log in anywhere on the computer, but haven't tried that yet. Bad news is there isn't a channel on roku or smart TV's yet....

Sign in using your phone or tablet first at home. Then you should be able to access it away from home.

I’m watching YouTube tv right now through roku. You have to sign in through the website to get a password. Then it pops up.

EDIT: You are correct. YouTube TV DOES NOT work with Roku. Oddly, it worked for me at first. Then it stopped. I chatted with the tech help and they replied that sometimes happens, but Roku will not work, for now.

Anyone concerned that if too many people move to online service that the internet providers will jack the rates or start charging per gig?

Yes.

Sling blue is $40 month, so to add sports it would be $50. Looked into this extensively. Am I missing something?

Sling blue is $25,orange is $20. Orange and blue is $40. You can add a sports package to any plan. HOWEVER, the golf channel only comes in the sports package if you have sling blue or blue and orange, it's not in the sports package with orange alone. The orange or orange plus blue is the only way to get ESPN. So if you want the GC plus ESPN you're in for $50... Orange plus blue $40 and the $10 sports package.

I continue to try to leave cable, but so far have found streaming cumbersome at best. Here's what I've learned or perhaps not learned. My Cox Cable bill went up again and I was ready to leave. Of course they lowered the price for one year (promo) to keep my business so we stayed. We have every channel me need, and great internet speed.

If I left Cox I would not be able to record (not Apple) and only one TV could be streamed unless I bought additional equipment. I purchased a Roku Ultra streaming wireless and tried Hulu. It worked great ($40 month), but I bailed out before the free trail was over.

I now experiment with free Roku and the picture is great. One thing I like about Hulu is I could get it on all my wireless devices without a streaming device. I do not have smart or wireless TV's but high quality 1080 Sony's. Therefore since not wireless, my TV's need a streaming device or attach an HDMI or Cat cable to the TV's. from my laptop.

For all I receive from Cox with Contour, I pay ($175 with internet and cable TV, no movie channels, DVR and two additional HD Contour mini boxes, and I get live streaming on any wireless device by logging on with Cox Contour, plus I have a sports upgrade package). It's hard to beat.

I continue to weigh all the options, but I cannot see how paying $70 month for internet, plus $40 month for a one streaming service, and an additional charge if you want MLB baseball, plus one time $100 expense for Roku Ultra and $40 for Roku sticks for two other TV's, equals the product I receive from Cox Cable.

I want to leave cable TV as well, but still cannot figure out the benefit. For $175 a month I get everything I need, plus more. If I leave cable I still have an initial investment, plus must pay a minimum of $110, plus an additional fee for MLB (total about $150). Leaving cable has self satisfaction results but comes with loss of other services you may desire. Bottom line, $175 verses $150 with a loss of services. I save $25 a month for less.

I just can't get the numbers to add up and helpful comments on "how to leave" would be appreciated.

This is a good post. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work as well. I'm experimenting with Youtube TV right now and it's great, I was even able to get rid of 2 of the 3 cable boxes we have. But if I cut the cord completely I'll lost access to Starz, HBO, and the other premium channels included in my cable package. I don't think it makes sense to pay for a service like Youtube TV monthly, and then a monthly cost for a la cart services. It adds up quick.

If you are watching a lot of different channels on your cable provider then you should stick with it. For me it was about saying "I can do without some channels and also save money."

I cut the cord 8 months ago and we don't miss it, even though it meant losing some channels we occasionally watched. That channel void has been replaced by exploring new content.

Here's my set up...

Bought a good OTA (over the air antenna) and mounted outside. Ran cable to cable junction box and the OTA feeds all TVs in the house plus a box called Tablo TV. Tablo TV allows me to record any local broadcasts (network TV plus local digital channels). I can playback and watch any recorded content from tablo TV on any roku, firestick, tablet, pc or phone. Tablo boxes come in two or four channel options, but I find that recording up to two at a time is plenty. You can also watch live local TV via the tablo TV via roku, firestick, pc, tablet, phone, even when you're not home connected to your wifi network. Tablo TV has a very nice local guide and interface for setting up,watching and managing your recordings. There is a guide subscription that is $5/month and is really a must.

For the rest of my content we have sling orange, Netflix and Amazon prime. Have always had the latter two and cutting the cord made us explore and find incredible content that we'd been missing out on. It's also made us forget completely about the cable channels we lost.

All said and done I'm saving about $90/month. My investment in tablo TV and antenna was paid for in a little over 3 months.

I have a high attic, meaning I could make it into another room. If I were to put an antenae in the attic, as opposed to the roof, would there be a huge difference in reception? Is 45 miles from the city too far for local channels? I might try to set something up in the garage.

Start here with this tool to see what might be available over the air.

http://www.receptionmaps.com/Advanced-TV-Maps.html

I continue to try to leave cable, but so far have found streaming cumbersome at best. Here's what I've learned or perhaps not learned. My Cox Cable bill went up again and I was ready to leave. Of course they lowered the price for one year (promo) to keep my business so we stayed. We have every channel me need, and great internet speed.

If I left Cox I would not be able to record (not Apple) and only one TV could be streamed unless I bought additional equipment. I purchased a Roku Ultra streaming wireless and tried Hulu. It worked great ($40 month), but I bailed out before the free trail was over.

I now experiment with free Roku and the picture is great. One thing I like about Hulu is I could get it on all my wireless devices without a streaming device. I do not have smart or wireless TV's but high quality 1080 Sony's. Therefore since not wireless, my TV's need a streaming device or attach an HDMI or Cat cable to the TV's. from my laptop.

For all I receive from Cox with Contour, I pay ($175 with internet and cable TV, no movie channels, DVR and two additional HD Contour mini boxes, and I get live streaming on any wireless device by logging on with Cox Contour, plus I have a sports upgrade package). It's hard to beat.

I continue to weigh all the options, but I cannot see how paying $70 month for internet, plus $40 month for a one streaming service, and an additional charge if you want MLB baseball, plus one time $100 expense for Roku Ultra and $40 for Roku sticks for two other TV's, equals the product I receive from Cox Cable.

I want to leave cable TV as well, but still cannot figure out the benefit. For $175 a month I get everything I need, plus more. If I leave cable I still have an initial investment, plus must pay a minimum of $110, plus an additional fee for MLB (total about $150). Leaving cable has self satisfaction results but comes with loss of other services you may desire. Bottom line, $175 verses $150 with a loss of services. I save $25 a month for less.

I just can't get the numbers to add up and helpful comments on "how to leave" would be appreciated.

This is a good post. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work as well. I'm experimenting with Youtube TV right now and it's great, I was even able to get rid of 2 of the 3 cable boxes we have. But if I cut the cord completely I'll lost access to Starz, HBO, and the other premium channels included in my cable package. I don't think it makes sense to pay for a service like Youtube TV monthly, and then a monthly cost for a la cart services. It adds up quick.

If you are watching a lot of different channels on your cable provider then you should stick with it. For me it was about saying "I can do without some channels and also save money."

I cut the cord 8 months ago and we don't miss it, even though it meant losing some channels we occasionally watched. That channel void has been replaced by exploring new content.

Here's my set up...

Bought a good OTA (over the air antenna) and mounted outside. Ran cable to cable junction box and the OTA feeds all TVs in the house plus a box called Tablo TV. Tablo TV allows me to record any local broadcasts (network TV plus local digital channels). I can playback and watch any recorded content from tablo TV on any roku, firestick, tablet, pc or phone. Tablo boxes come in two or four channel options, but I find that recording up to two at a time is plenty. You can also watch live local TV via the tablo TV via roku, firestick, pc, tablet, phone, even when you're not home connected to your wifi network. Tablo TV has a very nice local guide and interface for setting up,watching and managing your recordings. There is a guide subscription that is $5/month and is really a must.

For the rest of my content we have sling orange, Netflix and Amazon prime. Have always had the latter two and cutting the cord made us explore and find incredible content that we'd been missing out on. It's also made us forget completely about the cable channels we lost.

All said and done I'm saving about $90/month. My investment in tablo TV and antenna was paid for in a little over 3 months.

Thanks for taking the time, really good information for me.

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I have a high attic, meaning I could make it into another room. If I were to put an antenae in the attic, as opposed to the roof, would there be a huge difference in reception? Is 45 miles from the city too far for local channels? I might try to set something up in the garage.

http://www.reception...ed-TV-Maps.html

Thanks - bad for me we have very limited reception options, but I'm going to try an exterior antenna

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

http://www.reception...ed-TV-Maps.html

Thanks - bad for me we have very limited reception options, but I'm going to try an exterior antenna

Yes sounds like you'll need something outside because those flat antennas designed for indoor use are really only good for metro areas regardless if they claim 50 mile range.

Although it's not too good for most sports...

The Terrarium TV app (I have it on my Firestick) is incredible for movies and yesterdays TV series. Plus, every episode of just about anything ever recorded from Gilligans Island to the Sopranos, to last nights This is Us. My wife has been watching 16 seasons of Say Yes To The Dress.....

I had KODI for a while and at first it was really good, then it hiccuped so much and so often I just gave up on it.

Terarium has a much cleaner interface, stuff loads much quicker and the buffering is so limited, I'm surprised when it happens.

Plus, with the Amazon FIRETV, you can do a search wit vour voice so you're not clicking and arrowing right and left trying to spell "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"

As with anything else on the planet, YMMV, but it's my new favorite TV/Movie device.

LINK

X________________________________ Sign Here

Spoke to Xfinity/Comcast today about my ever rising bill. I asked what my cost would be for internet alone after paying this months $169 cable/internet bill. He did drop the bill by $15 and took me out of contract so I can change at any time. I have nothing special on the cable side, just the minimum package I need to get the golf channel. Frankly the channel selection blows compared to what I had with DirecTV and is now more expensive. I told him I get better channels when I travel for work than I do at home for $169 a month.

Thinking about giving PSVue a shot. I carry a Chromebook when I'm away and at home we really don't watch a ton of TV. I have upgraded internet so I imagine speeds would be fine.

Spoke to Xfinity/Comcast today about my ever rising bill. I asked what my cost would be for internet alone after paying this months $169 cable/internet bill. He did drop the bill by $15 and took me out of contract so I can change at any time. I have nothing special on the cable side, just the minimum package I need to get the golf channel. Frankly the channel selection blows compared to what I had with DirecTV and is now more expensive. I told him I get better channels when I travel for work than I do at home for $169 a month.

Thinking about giving PSVue a shot. I carry a Chromebook when I'm away and at home we really don't watch a ton of TV. I have upgraded internet so I imagine speeds would be fine.

I found that PVue wasn't portable (can only log in on the IP you signed in on). Someone said if you sign up on your mobile (with the wifi turned off I guess or it would be picking up your IP), then you could log on anywhere? Can anyone confirm that works? I would prefer PVue over Youtube TV if I could sign on anywhere with both.

This is interesting. The outside antenna you mentioned, is it an HD antenna or VHF/UHF? Here in NW Florida I don't believe I can receive broadcast signals.

Sorry I missed your question. It's a HD antenna that I got from Lowes for $100. I'm in central FL so I point mine towards Tampa. I even set my mom up with one and she gets over 60 stations. The picture is just like cable, not like the old days where your turning & yelling, "How's that!" or your sibling holding the curtains open - lol. Don't waste your time with the indoor ones from Walmart... They suck!

Sling blue is $25,orange is $20. Orange and blue is $40. You can add a sports package to any plan. HOWEVER, the golf channel only comes in the sports package if you have sling blue or blue and orange, it's not in the sports package with orange alone. The orange or orange plus blue is the only way to get ESPN. So if you want the GC plus ESPN you're in for $50... Orange plus blue $40 and the $10 sports package.

^^^This, I didn't want espn.

Also, with streaming there's a bunch of free channels that have thousands & thousands of free movies,TV, sports: Tubitv, Roku channel, Pluto, B-Movie TV, & Crackle are a few that I like. I even set my 80yr old mother up with streaming & she LOVES IT! And she's also saving over $100 a month.

Also, with streaming there's a bunch of free channels that have thousands & thousands of free movies,TV, sports: Tubitv, Roku channel, Pluto, B-Movie TV, & Crackle are a few that I like. I even set my 80yr old mother up with streaming & she LOVES IT! And she's also saving over $100 a month.

I tried out Hulu live and Sling after cutting out DirecTV - tired of paying $160 a month. Hulu buffered a lot, which is too bad, I really liked the interface. I am still using Sling but don't have ESPN - which is fine except for April when they broadcast the Masters! I will just add it for the month and then turn it back off.

I tried out Hulu live and Sling after cutting out DirecTV - tired of paying $160 a month. Hulu buffered a lot, which is too bad, I really liked the interface. I am still using Sling but don't have ESPN - which is fine except for April when they broadcast the Masters! I will just add it for the month and then turn it back off.

Something I noticed, I don't know if it is true across the board though. Hulu Live on my Roku does buffer, A little more than I like but nothing I'd call extreme. However it doesn't seem to buffer on the firestick we have in the other room. Just something I observed.

Just go to www.masters.com

It's a great website for watching the masters. Can watch the broadcast, specific holes, the practice range, etc. No need for anything else if you want Masters coverage.

Everyone in the States that lives near a metropolitan area should have an antenna. The US is great in that they even utilize sub-channels in their over-the-air broadcasts, so you will get a ton of channels. Plus (again) the picture quality is less compressed than cable.

Here is Southern Ontario, we can get a lot of US channels on certain days (when the tropospheric ducting is great), but some days there are not that many channels that are receivable.

We "cut the cord" in October 2011. I purchased my own equipment. The rented equipment from most ISP's is garbage! I have an Arris Surfboard SB6190 with 32 channels up and 8 channels down with three Google Wifi pods meshed to serve my house. I can't say enough positive things about Google Wifi! Xfinity provides nearly 1 GBPS speeds. The equipment cost about $350 to purchase and Xfinity is $64.95 per month. I have two teenage daughters and our house serves as the "neighborhood hangout" for their friends. We are continually streaming 12-15 devices at once and never have buffering issues. If you do, it's your equipment or ISP.

We pay for Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix and stream several other free, lesser known apps. With a digital antenna, we get another 20-30 channels in HD. We haven't felt the need to to subscribe to anything else. Virtually everything is available if you know where to look!

Most larger professional tournaments, as well as every Major, is streamed free of charge. Getting them to your TV is as simple as a Google search!

I am looking into this also. But GS Warriors are on Comcast owned station and family doesn't want to watch unreliable streams. Are there any other options to get NBCSports (Bay Area for Warriors) stations other than Xfinity?

For NBC I got the NBC sports app and can watch most of their National Sports for free. Don't know how it does with the Warriors but it may work for you. I know I watched the Falcons game no problem and plan on watching the SB through it hopefully. I do know if you try to watch the golf channel through that app you do have to login.

I found that PVue wasn't portable (can only log in on the IP you signed in on). Someone said if you sign up on your mobile (with the wifi turned off I guess or it would be picking up your IP), then you could log on anywhere? Can anyone confirm that works? I would prefer PVue over Youtube TV if I could sign on anywhere with both.

I watch PSVue at work sometimes using my iPhone. You can watch most channels away from home but I saw on PSVue's site, that some sports events are restricted (NFL I think). You'd need to setup the laptop / mobile device at home first and allow to login. then you can connect anywhere using said device.

From PSVue's site: (https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/supported-devices-and-set-up/#mobile-restricted)

ON MY MOBILE DEVICE, I AM SEEING CHANNELS AS MOBILE-RESTRICTED. WHY?

Some channels or programs are not available through PlayStation™Vue on mobile devices due to streaming rights and your location. These channels will be marked as such with a “Mobile Restricted” badge.

If you experience all channels being marked as Mobile Restricted, you will need to re-establish your home location on your mobile device. To do so, simply select sign out from PlayStation™Vue, connect your device to the home network where you originated your PlayStation™Vue subscription, and log back into PlayStation™Vue.

Note: The same blackout rules apply on a supported mobile phone, tablet, and computer browser as they do on PlayStation Vue on a TV-connected device.

I am looking into this also. But GS Warriors are on Comcast owned station and family doesn't want to watch unreliable streams. Are there any other options to get NBCSports (Bay Area for Warriors) stations other than Xfinity?

LOL "family doesn't want to watch unreliable streams" -- that's when you tell them the cable donation basket is running a little light :)