Best ball striker you have seen in person?

tmartin89 ·  
tmartin89tmartin89  139WRX Points: 32Handicap: +0.4Members Posts: 139 Bunkers
I was lucky enough to caddie at the 2008 Open at Royal Birkdale for a friend of mine who made it through local qualifying. I was on the range and saw Garcia, Jimenez, Stenson plus a bunch of other top players hit balls but the best ball striker I saw was Greg Norman. I've watched Tiger at the 2005 Open at St Andrews and obviously he stripes it. I've also been to many Scottish Opens when it was at Loch Lomond and saw guys like Poulter, again great ball striker but nothing I've ever seen was like Greg Norman.

Who is the best ball striker you have seen in person?
Posted:
As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Comments

• oz dee ceeoz dee cee  508WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 508 Golden Tee
    Saw the title without seeing the content and instantly thought of Greg Norman also. I saw Tiger in 99 and man, the sound off his club and trajectory was just different to everyone. Hard to split both and like them for different reasons. Good topic OP.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tmartin89tmartin89  139WRX Points: 32Handicap: +0.4Members Posts: 139 Bunkers
    oz dee cee wrote:

Saw the title without seeing the content and instantly thought of Greg Norman also. I saw Tiger in 99 and man, the sound off his club and trajectory was just different to everyone. Hard to split both and like them for different reasons. Good topic OP.

I remember watching Tiger hit a drive and like you say the sound it makes is like nothing else. The ball probably moved about a foot through the air, striped right down the middle.
    Posted:
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera  5561WRX Points: 309Handicap: -.6Members Posts: 5,561 Titanium Tees
    Hal Sutton
    Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 3D 10.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Accra TZ5-95H
    PING S55 5-9 Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  Mitsubishi MMT-125 TX (9-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • BNGLBNGL Jupiter, Florida 1856WRX Points: 536Unregistered Posts: 1,856 Platinum Tees
    Myself....

haha, Tiger was pretty good. Although last year I was on the range at Bay Hill and Lucas Glover stood out to me, just his rhythm the ball leapt off his club face. Played with Rob Oppenheim a few times, watched him fire 63-62, both of those rounds were absolutely outstanding.

Tried to post a video apparently it didn't work
    Posted:
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay  92WRX Points: 0Banned Posts: 92
    I've never seen anything close to that level. I played with a fringe D2 guy once that put up a 71 on a relatively easy course...that's the best I've seen in person
    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20490WRX Points: 4,392ClubWRX Posts: 20,490 ClubWRX
    Tiger! - but the young Rory and Westwood were pretty good in my book at the PGA at Hazeltine that Tiger lost. Spent time out in practice rounds and on the range watching a variety of players. Those stood out at the time.

Edit: and was thinking about this after breakfast, I remember sitting on a range near KC on a hot late afternoon watching Monte put on a ball striking clinic with a 2 iron I will not forget.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13332WRX Points: 2,206Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,332 Titanium Tees
    Johnny Miller and Moe Norman

Moe beside me on the range

Johnny at the Canadian Open and in a lesson
    Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3542WRX Points: 504Handicap: 3.0Members Posts: 3,542 Titanium Tees
    Sergio a couple of years ago in Crans-Montana.

In regards to non tour guys: there is a guy at my club. He used to play for the belgium national team. +4 hcp. Incredible ballstriking, too.
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 iron w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 95X
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 50 S-Grind
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 56 X-Grind
    Vokey Low Bounce K-Grind 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini Copper

• Big BenBig Ben  9301WRX Points: 483Handicap: 5Members Posts: 9,301 Titanium Tees
    Freddie Couples
    Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • clichecliche  777WRX Points: 87Handicap: 10Members Posts: 777 Golden Tee
    a couple of years ago i've attended the event in crans-montana. they where all there. rory, jimenez, kaymer, casey. but the one who stood out was raphael jacquelin. the sound when he hit the ball with his irons and his ballflight where unique.
    Posted:
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2102WRX Points: 146Members Posts: 2,102 Platinum Tees
    Tiger. Watched him on the range in prime position, right behind him, fairly close.

He shaped the ball every way, changed trajectories. Ball went far with such little effort.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2  32212WRX Points: 2,049Members Posts: 32,212 Titanium Tees
    A very good friend’s daughter plays on the LPGA Tour. Phenomenal ball striker. A small dime size mark on the sweet spot on her irons.
    Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB)  3780WRX Points: 382Handicap: 6Members Posts: 3,780 Titanium Tees
    DL III back in his early Tour days.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
    Ping i25 5-PW, TFC 189 R
    Cobra MIM forged 50*, KBS Hi Rev 125 S
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Eye2+ SW, 57.5*, KTM S
    Super Stroke Soft Wrap Midsize Red Grips
    Taylor Made TP Mullen 2, 35", LH (I'm right handed :p )
  • caniac6caniac6  3279WRX Points: 918Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,279 Titanium Tees
    I followed Nick Price years ago. I'm not sure of the event, it was either the GGO or the Kemper. He shot 30 on the front 9, and never made a long putt. I talked with his caddie after the round, and he said he hits it like that all the time. Now that I think of it, it was the Kemper one of the first years at Avenel.
    Posted:
  • hm59hm59 MD 326WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 326 Greens
    Haven't seen too too many tour players in person but I'd have to say Bernhard Langer. Followed him for 18 and he hit it so straight it got boring after a while.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 
    Cobra F8+ 3-4 FWY
    Cobra King F6 Baffler
    Cobra King Forged CB
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50-54-60
    Scotty Cameron IBDD
    Titleist ProV1
  • EKELLYEKELLY  2594WRX Points: 27Handicap: +2Members Posts: 2,594 Titanium Tees
    Seen most all of the best, nobody even close to Moe Norman.....I watched that guy hit probably 2,000 balls combined in a few sessions in Palm Coast, Florida. It was ridiculous!...
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13332WRX Points: 2,206Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,332 Titanium Tees
    I tell you what, watched a skins game up here years ago and Ray Floyd was more impressive than Couples
    Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • farmerfarmer  8468WRX Points: 932Members Posts: 8,468 Titanium Tees
    Was a few feet behind Johnny Miller on the range at Preston Trails in '74. He and Jerry Heard were playing a call shot game. JM never missed one. Most impressive I've ever seen.
    Posted:
  • TexsportTexsport  2348WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 2,348 Platinum Tees
    Ben Hogan
    Posted:
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
  • Dave230Dave230  3883WRX Points: 300Members Posts: 3,883 Titanium Tees
    I've seen Rory, Fowler, Rose, Els, Rahm, Westwood, Montgomerie, Garcia etc over the years in person but the most impressive for me was Hideki Matsuyama last year. What a swing to see in person. Pure athleticism and purest ball-striking.
    Posted:
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl  6103WRX Points: 1,101Members Posts: 6,103 Titanium Tees
    cardoustie wrote:

I was going through pictures the other day and found some of me and Moe. That was a special experience and that's saying something given some of the players I was lucky enough to hang out with years ago.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron  870WRX Points: 186Members Posts: 870 Golden Tee
    I went to the GHO or whatever it’s called today 25 years ago or so, so whoever I was watching there. I remember watching Scott Verplanck on the range but wasn’t paying close enough attention to his hitting

When I was in high school a few years later, I played on the golf team with a kid who went on to play in a US Am and D1 golf at Univ of Florida and man could he hit. He was really the first great ball striker I took notice of because I was so close to it.

Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Kansas 13826WRX Points: 1,366Handicap: 8-ishMembers Posts: 13,826 Titanium Tees
    I’ve followed Tom Watson up close on a few occasions. I just love the tempo, and confidence in which he plays.

Visualize shot

Pull club

Quick waggle

Hit shot, always pure and crisp

Walk quickly to ball

No messing around

I’ve watched Trevino up close but he was out of contention and just seemed to be trying to get it in the house. But it was like the ball was on a string and he was in full control of it. Not huge impressive power but pure control.
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl  6103WRX Points: 1,101Members Posts: 6,103 Titanium Tees
    Not sure if anyone mentioned Scott Hoch. Pure.
    Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Kansas 13826WRX Points: 1,366Handicap: 8-ishMembers Posts: 13,826 Titanium Tees
    Texsport wrote:

Ben Hogan

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Would you mind expanding on your answer?

Thanks.
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SC 6376WRX Points: 173Handicap: 2.4ClubWRX Posts: 6,376 Titanium Tees
    I got to caddie in US Senior Open in late 90's and stood right behind Mr. Palmer for an hour and watched him hit balls. The amazing part was David Graham was giving him some advice and he would stripe one and do a little dance afterward. I watched Gary Player send his caddie out 100 yards and lay a towel down. He then hit 10 balls and all of them hit the towel when they landed. I also worked at a club in Akron, OH and lived next door to Firestone. The head pro where I worked was friends with David Frost and he used to come to our practice range and hit balls instead of practicing at the Stone. Amazing ball striker for sure.
    Posted:
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR

Advertisement
  • EKELLYEKELLY  2594WRX Points: 27Handicap: +2Members Posts: 2,594 Titanium Tees
    When I worked part-time at Bay Hill in the early 90's, it was routine to see Norman, Price, Allem, and Frost show up. That was a stripe show on the range warming up, for sure....
    Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 12249WRX Points: 1,387Handicap: 3.2Members Posts: 12,249 Titanium Tees
    cardoustie wrote:

Your Moe Norman comment reminded me. Best I've played with, well best hands really, was a guy named Wedgy Winchester. He won the long drive years back and then did trick shot exhibitions for Ping. We were on the range one day and he's doing a Moe voice impression while absolutely striping one irons from the most hideous lies you could imagine on the range. Jawdropping.

Best I've played with were a couple tour winners and a proam round with Art Sellinger of long drive fame.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSM 1549WRX Points: 295Members Posts: 1,549 Platinum Tees
    Up close and in person playing would have to be Steve Stricker. From behind the ropes, Tiger.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

Advertisement
  • tmartin89tmartin89  139WRX Points: 32Handicap: +0.4Members Posts: 139 Bunkers
    Texsport wrote:

Ben Hogan

If theres anyone I'd love to watch it balls it would be Hogan.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.