2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

JJordiJ

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HUGE mistake moving the price up to $44.99

I think a large part of the appeal of the Chrome Soft line of balls is the price point. I wont be surprised to see market share slip a little bit with the higher price.

I tested the '18 CSX and really liked it. Does every thing I want a ball to do. but at $5 more than my Srixon Z-Star

I agree, jumping to $45 is a mistake. With the addition of Graphene, I can understand a small price increase, but go to $42.XX.

TP5 line is also $45, right? What are they asking for ProV1 these days? :busted_cop:

May I ask how many balls you go through in a typical round ?

I mean you DO realize you're talking about $.50 cents per ball, yes ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Rep was at local course yesterday...told him love cs x and he handed me sleeve of new ball. Cutaway shows completely different ball. Initially I thought it was a tad bit harder...can't really say for sure without side by side. Also think it flies a bit lower. Still love last years for sure. New irons looked great!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I think a large part of the appeal of the Chrome Soft line of balls is the price point. I wont be surprised to see market share slip a little bit with the higher price.

I tested the '18 CSX and really liked it. Does every thing I want a ball to do. but at $5 more than my Srixon Z-Star

I agree, jumping to $45 is a mistake. With the addition of Graphene, I can understand a small price increase, but go to $42.XX.

TP5 line is also $45, right? What are they asking for ProV1 these days? :busted_cop:

You really don't like it when people complain about the cost of balls do you?

You really don't like it when people complain about the cost of balls do you?

My, and your(?), ancestors had a saying - "Penny-wise and pound foolish". It's a point I actually agree with. :)

Titleist Pro V1X

Saw the ball and hit the ball at the PGA show. They were only allowing you to hit with irons into net at demo day :( They were doing comparison to proV vs CS to show ball speed improvement. Ball speed was a solid 2-3 mph better vs. proV for just about every golfer who was doing the challenge. They were posting results on a scoreboard. They are really hyping the ball speed with irons as the true differentiator. Ball felt great (similar to CS16 feel). I also spent some time with the head of ball R&D and he said CS and CSX are very close in performance tee to green and most people will not see a difference between the 2 if they carry a SS of 95-105 so you could play either ball without worrying about distance/performance loss. The difference will be seen around the green where the softer cover of the CSX will create more spin. They gave me a couple of CS and a CSX to try out on the course. Should be giving them a go early next week.

Saw the ball and hit the ball at the PGA show. They were only allowing you to hit with irons into net at demo day :( They were doing comparison to proV vs CS to show ball speed improvement. Ball speed was a solid 2-3 mph better vs. proV for just about every golfer who was doing the challenge. They were posting results on a scoreboard. They are really hyping the ball speed with irons as the true differentiator. Ball felt great (similar to CS16 feel). I also spent some time with the head of ball R&D and he said CS and CSX are very close in performance tee to green and most people will not see a difference between the 2 if they carry a SS of 95-105 so you could play either ball without worrying about distance/performance loss. The difference will be seen around the green where the softer cover of the CSX will create more spin. They gave me a couple of CS and a CSX to try out on the course. Should be giving them a go early next week.

Interesting that X versions of balls (CSX, ProV1x, TP5x) are all of a sudden the spinnier versions. From what you are saying, I would want the CSX as my SS is between 95 & 100 and prefer a spinnier ball.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

Interesting that X versions of balls (CSX, ProV1x, TP5x) are all of a sudden the spinnier versions. From what you are saying, I would want the CSX as my SS is between 95 & 100 and prefer a spinnier ball.

Yes he told me I would not tell the difference tee to green (I have 97mph ss). If 1 hop and stop is your style of short game play than X is what he recommended. He was very adamant that their goal was to create the balls so that there was little difference between them for most golfers tee to green. They focused on spin slope in the short game as the differentiating factor.

Can anybody confirm for me that when graphene is put into compression, the tension values increase exponentially? In other words, the harder the hit the ball, the stronger the bonds become. I seem to remember with Head R&D that the faster you swung the racket, the firmer it would play.

TSR4 9*(A2), Diamana PD 60TX 45.5 (testing) Smoke 💎💎💎9*

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Mizuno RB X or Callaway Tour X

Can anybody confirm for me that when graphene is put into compression, the tension values increase exponentially? In other words, the harder the hit the ball, the stronger the bonds become. I seem to remember with Head R&D that the faster you swung the racket, the firmer it would play.

I think you're thinkjng of crazy putty. :taunt:

I think you're thinkjng of crazy putty. :taunt:

Never mind I found the dynamic response of graphene. It's a nano-composite that behaves differently because of the non-planar bonds. Resonance anomalies observed that are still unexplained. Cooler than crazy putty....

TSR4 9*(A2), Diamana PD 60TX 45.5 (testing) Smoke 💎💎💎9*

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Mizuno RB X or Callaway Tour X

Am I correct in saying that the CSX will provide more spin around the green? If so, how is this possible. Thanks for your help

They altered the thickness of the urethane in the cover.

edit: I have two dozen already and have played the ball. It is excellent. Grab a box when they come out, you will not be disappointed!

Am I correct in saying that the CSX will provide more spin around the green? If so, how is this possible. Thanks for your help

edit: I have two dozen already and have played the ball. It is excellent. Grab a box when they come out, you will not be disappointed!

Any comparisons to the TP5X or Srixon Z Star XV ??

Endy, The '17 SRiXON Z XV is in my Sig. I find it to be a very firm ball, but I have gotten used to this and now prefer the feel of it. The Z XV is as good as it gets IMO for my game.

Over time I've been given numerous sleeves of TP5 & TP5x and gave them all away... except one, and I played it. Admittedly I am not a TaylorMade guy and don't go out of my way to hype them up. But I'll still be completely candid when something I usually don't like kicks @ss... the golf ball is incredible. IMO it may be the best overall tour ball on the market. There is nothing it doesn't do well. And I would definitely give it slightly better marks in terms of "feel" (and let's be honest, who really knows what that means... it's completely subjective, and different to/for each player) compared to Z XV.

CS X 2018 is just that, a Chrome Soft. IMO it has nothing to do with the other two balls and is in a category unto itself. Soft, soft, soft is the only way I can describe it. Not noting this in a negative way, it's just completely different. I was impressed with this particular Chrome Soft ball off the driver (yay graphene!). It doesn't spin much and subsequently has a very nice decent angle. All irons and through the wedges were stellar. edit: Definitely saw the extra "softness" come out of it around the green. To me it feels exquisite. :good:

i think Graphene is my new favorite word

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Keenly interested in the same - new CSx vs. XV

i think Graphene is my new favorite word

Mine too. I think I'll try it in my coffee.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Endy, The '17 SRiXON Z XV is in my Sig. I find it to be a very firm ball, but I have gotten used to it and now prefer the feel of it. The Z XV is as good as it gets IMO for my game.

Over time I've been given numerous sleeves of TP5 & TP5x and gave them all away... except one. Admittedly I am not a TaylorMade guy and don't go out of my way to hype them up. But I'll still be completely candid when something I usually don't like kicks @ss... the golf ball is incredible. IMO it may be the best overall tour ball on the market. There is nothing it doesn't do well. And I would definitely give it slightly better marks in terms of "feel" (and let's be honest, who really knows what that means... it's completely subjective, and different to/for each player) compared to Z XV.

CS X 2018 is just that, a Chrome Soft. IMO it has nothing to do with the other two balls and is in a category unto itself. Soft, soft, soft is the only way I can describe it. Not noting this in a negative way, it's just completely different. I was impressed with this particular Chrome Soft ball off the driver. It doesn't spin much and subsequently has a very nice decent angle. All irons and through the wedges were stellar. edit: Definitely saw the extra "softness" come out of it around the green. To me it feels exquisite. :good:

Thanks! Might have to give it a try. I play the 17 XV myself and have a few sleeves of the TP5X left. The XV is definitely a firmer ball but like you said you get used to it since it does everything well.

The cover material on the X is softer allowing it to grab the grooves a bit more and spin a bit higher around the green. Here is the info straight off Callaway's site:

Which Ball Should You Play?

Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X both deliver the same core performance attributes for fast ball speeds, soft feel and great short game control. But if you want an easy way to differentiate between the two, here it is:

Chrome Soft: Softest feel, best forgiveness, straight flight

Chrome Soft X: Soft feel, high forgiveness, workable flight

God how I love marketing!! :) :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Yes he told me I would not tell the difference tee to green (I have 97mph ss). If 1 hop and stop is your style of short game play than X is what he recommended. He was very adamant that their goal was to create the balls so that there was little difference between them for most golfers tee to green. They focused on spin slope in the short game as the differentiating factor.

This differentiating factor is Excellent news

It does, however, seem to contradict the statement on the website

which is it then?

since not being able to tell the difference tee to green outside of pitch/chip and "workable flight" are 2 very different animals

any more insight appreciated

The cover material on the X is softer allowing it to grab the grooves a bit more and spin a bit higher around the green. Here is the info straight off Callaway's site:

Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X both deliver the same core performance attributes for fast ball speeds, soft feel and great short game control. But if you want an easy way to differentiate between the two, here it is:

Translation

spins less

spins more

:hi:

This differentiating factor is Excellent news

It does, however, seem to contradict the statement on the website

which is it then?

since not being able to tell the difference tee to green outside of pitch/chip and "workable flight" are 2 very different animals

any more insight appreciated

See above.

Titleist Pro V1X

thanks - I understand, but You sure can notice more spin tee to green though

so I would still like a little more insight into the difference for these if any outside on just spin overall

I find the tp5 has a lot more spin tee to green (outside of pitch/chip) than the tp5x for instance

wondering if this is the same or different profile

appreciated

Can we use this as a general rule for all premium balls using the regular and X markings?

It seems like all of the manufacturers are trying to line up on that, which makes sense. But I'm still fairly confused.